India (262 & 118/4) defeat Australia (263 & 113) by 6 wickets - Take a 2-0 lead in the series

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
India (262 & 118/4) defeat Australia (263 & 113) by 6 wickets - Take a 2-0 lead in the series

On Wednesday, two days out from his 100th Test, Cheteshwar Pujara had a longer net stint than a couple of others who had started alongside him. After completing the customary sessions against spin, pace and throwdowns, he headed for another routine post-net chat with the head coach Rahul Dravid and batting coach Vikram Rathore which was again longer than the ones that preceded him. It ended with Dravid giving him an energetic fist bump and a couple of pats on the back before sending a beaming Pujara back into the dressing room.

For India, it was emblematic of what this Test would mean for one of their biggest contributors over thirteen years. But even as that occasion engulfs a lot of pre-match talk for a change, the usual suspect isn't far behind.

Pujara himself was amongst the ones from both teams that has had close inspections of the 22 yards, with Cummins later saying that he was "not too sure" of what to make of it, apart from expecting it to spin. There haven't been other indicators to suggest otherwise as well with the pitch also remaining covered with a mat for large periods of the day. With temperatures staying low in the mornings, the early sessions could well offer some more assistance for movement apart from what's available off the surface.

These factors, in turn, are set to dictate some of the team combinations even as neither team finalized a eleven a day ahead of the Test match, a far cry from the times when they were announcing the playing elevens 24 hours earlier.

Another factor for not announcing playing elevens is that both teams are battling with players out of form, or coming back from injury. For India, with the lead in the series, there is room for giving more chances to the ones out of form whereas Australia will be considering multiple factors to dictate their choices including playing the right horses for the course.

But the challenges would not be limited to that alone, if the pace off the pitch is slow as it was in Nagpur, it would require their spinners as well as fast bowlers to alter plans accordingly. Its easier said than done, but with India currently answering those tough questions adeptly, Australia cannot afford to be left too far behind. There's an opportunity to pick a few tricks from the opposition, but can they also get their executions with a short turnaround time? The answer awaits.

When: Friday, February 17 at 09:30 AM IST

Where: Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi

What to expect: The pitch at the Ferozshah Kotla ground is expected to play on the drier side. Traditionally the track has a tendency to be slow as well, which could mean that the batters may have time to adjust for spin off the surface as well, thereby making it a little easier to bat on.

Teams:

India

Shreyas Iyer, returning from injury, has had a couple of hits out in the days leading up to the Test without any visible signs of discomfort. If fit, he's set to replace Suryakumar Yadav in the middle order.

Probable XI: Rohit Sharma (C), KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Ravindra Jadeja, KS Bharat (WK), R Ashwin, Axar Patel, Mohammed Shami, Mohammad Siraj

Australia

Australia's skipper remained non-committal about any potential changes to the team a day ahead of the Test match. Australia have had Cameron Green and Mitchell Starc doing some bowling in the lead-up to the Test but will still be sweating over their fitness and will be wary of rushing them in too soon. If available, however, the duo will add a lot of balance to the side, even as the question remains over the possibility of including a third spinner given the conditions on offer.

Probable XI: David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head/Matt Renshaw, Peter Handscomb/Cameron Green, Alex Carey (WK), Pat Cummins (C), Scott Boland/Mitchell Starc, Todd Murphy, Nathan Lyon

Did you know

- This will be Australia's eighth Test in Delhi - the most they have played at a venue in India. Their only win at this venue came in their very first match here during the 1959/60 tour.

- Anil Kumble is the only Indian bowler with 100+ wickets in Tests against an opponent - 111 vs Australia. R Ashwin is on 97 wickets against Australia from 19 Tests.

- Nathan Lyon needs nine more wickets to surpass Shane Warne to become the leading wicket-taker among visiting bowlers in Asia. In his only appearance at Ferozshah Kotla in 2013, Lyon picked 9/165 - his best match figures in India.

What they said:

"It's an adjustment. Even the last game we saw a lot of around-the-wicket bowling whereas in Australia it's mainly over-the-wicket bowling. The close catchers don't feel like the ball's going to pop up as much when there isn't as much bounce. Bit of an adjustment. Side spinners, just changing up your angles a bit more. All those things come into a bit more. I think the bowlers did a really good job, both spinners last game. It's a bit of an adjustment but in some ways it doesn't get any better. You have a wicket there that's spinning for you, you can show how good you are" - Pat Cummins feels that along with his batter, his spinners too have some realigning to do

"I can definitely say, having played white-ball cricket recently, it has helped me a lot. I have played for Saurashtra and for Sussex, I have tried playing a few shots, I have tried using the sweep shot against fast bowlers, playing the paddle, and played a few reverse sweeps as well. I have had to open my mindset because when I want to implement a few shots in Test cricket, you are a bit more flexible and a bit more open-minded towards trying things out. That has helped me be successful, even in Bangladesh, where I had to play a few shots to accelerate the scoring. You need to be open to changes. As a person, I don't think a lot has changed. I am still the same Cheteshwar. If you speak to some of the team-mates, speak to people who know me, they will say the same. I don't think you need to change as a person as long as you're a good human being" - Cheteshwar Pujara on what has changed in him as a batter and as a person over 99 Tests
Preview: India vs Australia, 2nd Test

Squads:

India Squad: Rohit Sharma(c), KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Ravindra Jadeja, Srikar Bharat(w), Axar Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, Mohammed Siraj, Shubman Gill, Ishan Kishan, Shreyas Iyer, Kuldeep Yadav, Umesh Yadav

Australia Squad: David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steven Smith, Matt Renshaw, Peter Handscomb, Alex Carey(w), Pat Cummins(c), Todd Murphy, Nathan Lyon, Scott Boland, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Mitchell Starc, Ashton Agar, Matthew Kuhnemann, Lance Morris

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Ahead of the match, former India coach Ravi Shastri gave some advice to the Australians. In a column for Sydney Morning Herald titled 'Timid Australians must get aggressive because India will show no mercy', Shastri wrote: "Save the English manners for the Ashes. What you need are good old Australian manners here in India to bounce back from the defeat in Nagpur.

"I want to see them come out and be their aggressive selves in Delhi. To back their ability and play with intent. I was surprised by the lack of it, especially in that second innings, where they were rolled for 91. If you lose, go down throwing punches. Not in the timid, almost un-Australian, fashion that they surrendered against the Indian spinners at the VCA Stadium. But the punch has to be thrown immediately, and they need to hit India hard from the very start in Delhi. If Australia don't get at India right away, the possibility of a 3-0 or even a 4-0 series defeat looms large."

He added that it seemed like the Australians were indulging in too much bonhomie with their Indian counterparts.

"I would also ask the Aussies to leave their Indian Premier League buddies behind and keep them for later. It felt like there was a bit too much bonhomie on the field in Nagpur for my liking. I want to see that characteristic hard-hitting Aussie intent come to the fore in Delhi," Shastri wrote.

"I can say this with confidence: the Indians will be relentless, as they are always in India. This is as good a bowling attack as they've ever had, both in terms of the fast bowlers and the spinners. India have never had a spin trio where all three are all-rounders."

NDTV

Australia skipper Pat Cummins discussed possible changes to his side’s lineup ahead of the second Border-Gavaskar Test to be played at Delhi, starting February 17.

The first Test of the series was played at Nagpur and ended in an emphatic India win. The hosts won the game by an innings and 132 runs. After a dismal performance, changes can be expected in the Australia lineup.

Cummins said that batter Travis Head was in part of selection conversations ahead of the second Test.

“Travis has been awesome, he’s been working really hard on his game. He's been fantastic around the squad like he always is,” Cummins said. “There's always plenty of fun wherever Heady is. He is absolutely part of the conversation for this Test as he was in the first.”

While Head’s record in the subcontinent doesn’t stand out, he averages merely 21.3 from seven Tests, the 29-year-old is coming off a successful home summer. He scored 312 runs at an average of 156 against West Indies, while he made 213 runs at 53.25 against South Africa.

Opener David Warner who failed in the first Test and has a poor record in India (Test batting average of 22.16) seemed to have Cummins’s backing. The fast bowler wanted Warner to bring out his aggression in future games.

“I'm not a selector. I don't think they've had a meeting but I'm sure Davey will be there. You saw at the Boxing Day Test when he puts pressure back on the opposition, he's pretty hard to bowl to,” Cummins stated.

“You don't get as many good balls, so he knows that. I'm sure that'd be part of his plan. He has been batting really well here. Even in the lead-up, I thought he was fantastic. I know there's a lot of talk about spin bowling through the middle but with that new ball it's sometimes the hardest time to bat as well.”

Fast bowler Mitchell Starc joined the squad ahead of Delhi Test, while all-rounder Cameron Green has been making progress as well. Cummins was cautious while discussing their progress.

“I don't have much for you there. Starcy and Green had good sessions yesterday and we will assess them later today. We don't have a line through them yet, we'll see.”

Cummins went further into Green's role in the side adding, “Having a right hander helps and him providing our fifth bowling option also helps. He's a big player, it certainly helps the team function well from batting and bowling. You have got to be able to perform as well, he's still coming back from that injury. He's only had a couple of sessions where he's catching with a hard ball. He had a really good session yesterday. We will see how he pulls up.”

Australia will need to figure out their bowling combinations if all their bowlers are fit before the Delhi Test.

“We'll work that out by the end of today, I hope. He (Starc) is one of the world's premier bowlers in these types of conditions,” Cummins added.

“We'll see. As I said, the wicket looks like it might turn a little bit. I thought last week with two pacers that attack functioned quite well but I think whether it's Starcy, another spinner, Scotty, variety in the attack does help. I think ideally your all-rounder needs to be good enough to bat in the top six. So that's a luxury we've had with Cam Green.

“In the past I think probably in my first 20 Test matches, we went in with four bowlers. And it's draining but you can make that work. Again spin bowlers could probably bowl 25 overs in a day rather than 20. So yeah, ideally you've got batters that can chip in or a full on all-rounder like a Cam Green but if not, I think you can get away with four bowlers.”

ICC

Australia gets lucky with the toss yet again and will be batting first.

Unreal team selection by Australia. Never seen them go in with just one seamer. Actually Boland was not that bad. He was even a bit unlucky. Kept one end tight.

Sensible change for us. This must be the last chance for KL.

Australia doing a funky. Had they lost the toss, who would have opened the bowling with Cummins?

Year 2035, Shubman Gill retires from cricket.

And KL is the captain of Indian team waiting for his form to come back.

Australia winning the toss and playing with 6 spin options. Heavy favourotes to win this. The likes of Kohli won't survive that much spin.

What a poor decision yet again not to play Gill! Even poorer is to play duds like Rahul & Kohli.

At least the hack Sky is rightly dropped.

What a poor decision yet again not to play Gill! Even poorer is to play duds like Rahul & Kohli.

At least the hack Sky is rightly dropped.

These dead weights played in the 5th test against England. Only inform batsman Rohit didn't play. INdia's record should have been a lot better with better players in recent times

INdia's record should have been a lot better with better players in recent times
Correct. And in all formats.

These Kohlis, Rahuls are such leeches.

At least, Kohli played with aplomb for quite a few years. What all has Rahul achieved in his cricketing career?

Siraj has been such a terrific addition to the team in all formats.

100th test for Pujara.

Still remember his first test against Australia like it was yesterday. He helped us chase a decentish target in 4th innings with an unbeaten knock of 70-odd.

Warner finally off the mark with a brace off Ashwin.

One could see clearly from the replay that Warner got an bottom edge to his elbow. Ravi watched the replay and says ball ricocheted off the shoulder to the helmet. How can one be so wrong after watching slo mo replay!!

What a weird looking stadium that belongs to Asia of the early 80s.
So much corruption happened under Jaitley's watch when he was DDCA prez. And still the stadium was renamed after him!

And now his son, Rohan Jaitley is heading the DDCA! Dynastic rule, anyone?

What a weird looking stadium that belongs to Asia of the early 80s.
Since time immemorial, the DDCA is being helmed by Jaitleys so you can thank them for the plight of Indian capital's only test center.

Teams:

Australia (Playing XI): David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steven Smith, Travis Head, Peter Handscomb, Alex Carey(w), Pat Cummins(c), Todd Murphy, Nathan Lyon, Matthew Kuhnemann

India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Ravindra Jadeja, Srikar Bharat(w), Axar Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Mohammed Shami, Mohammed Siraj

Rohit Sharma: We'd have batted first as well. The pitch is dry, but I think the application we showed last game put the toss away from the game. You just have to come out and play good cricket, and that's been the chat in the group to not worry about the toss. (On Pujara's 100th Test) We are all thrilled for him, his family is here as well. 100 Test matches isn't easy, there have been plenty of ups and downs in his career. One change for us - Shreyas Iyer is in for Surya.

Pat Cummins: We'll bat first. The middle looks like there's grass but bare at both ends. Plenty of turn there, will be a good Test. Cam Green and Mitch Starc aren't playing, but we've got Travis Head coming in for Renshaw, and Matthew Kuhnemann makes his debut.

Australia have won the toss and have opted to bat

Since time immemorial, the DDCA is being helmed by Jaitleys so you can thank them for the plight of Indian capital's only test center.

DDCA is a worst body of administration I know. And that is a high bar in India.

Lot of edges, wides, uncontrolled shots they are 42/0. Good survival game so far by Australia unfazed by accurate bouncers, turn.

Body language of Warner says a lot. Accepting that he might not be too far away from the end.

Aussies looking 10 times more confident on this pitch than they did all test in Nagpur.

So many edged fours. byes. 68/1 is a good score for Australia given how they were hardly in control.

There is no use of moral victories gained by edges and misses on this pitch. Aussies are scoring at an alarming rate. In out field setup should be the way

Warner is absolutely finished in red ball. When will the Aussies realize it & simply dispose him? Even at his prime he was mediocre outside home,now at advanced age he is simply terrible. It's frustrating to watch an Aussie opener struggling so much & the tragedy is that he is struggling against pace. I don't remember Hayden, Langer, Slater or Taylor being as pathetic in India as this guy has been. He is too proud & probably won't retire on his own. Aussies will be carrying a deadweight in England.

Love the way Shashtri buried the Aussies & basically called them ***** in that column. It seems the dose is working. Aussies are playing aggressively.Really playing classic copybook test cricket is not going to achieve anything in these conditions against these bowlers. Bazzball sounds cliche, but maybe that's the approach needed at the moment.

There will be nothing concrete coming from Bharat's mouth if you ask for opinion. Such a timid character.

There will be nothing concrete coming from Bharat's mouth if you ask for opinion. Such a timid character.
Bit harsh on Bharat.

Its understandable, its just his 2nd game in India colors.

Now get Smith before lunch and this will be our session.

Bit harsh on Bharat.

Its understandable, its just his 2nd game in India colors.

If you are still timid on your second game, your career lies elsewhere. Not asking much, just give your damn opinion on DRS.

Can we get Head too before lunch?

Lunch will taste all the more better then!

Poor decision from umpire. That was pitched outside leg!

Any decent enough umpire should be able to tell with naked eye if a ball is pitched in line of leg stump or not.

Poor decision from umpire. That was pitched outside leg!

Any decent enough umpire should be able to tell with naked eye if a ball is pitched in line of leg stump or not.
Ball was not fully pitched outside. Just a tad below 50%

Well made 50 Usman. Took some chances. But that is how you bat here. Can't defend your way out.

First 50 from an Aussie bat after losing 23 wickets in this series so far.

Over rate is quite low, isn't it?

Just 25 overs being bowled in 2 hrs!

Or may be due to physios coming on field multiple times delayed things a bit.

Australia can still attack India with pace in India. You just need the right bowlers. This pitch has a bit of bounce surprisingly. Also rewards those who bends their back.

AUS 94/3 (25) CRR: 3.76
Day 1: Lunch Break

Usman Khawaja looking set for a big hundred I feel.

Back