India (97/2) defeat Ireland (96) by 8 wickets, starting their ICC T20 World Cup 2024 campaign with a comprehensive win

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
India is set to clash against Ireland in the eighth match and their season opener of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024. The match is scheduled for Wednesday, June 5, IST, at the newly constructed Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in New York. India will enter the competition with a star-studded team, although they haven't played any T20I cricket since their series against Afghanistan in January. However, this isn't a major concern as all the players are coming off a high-scoring IPL 2024.

Ireland, on the other hand, recently played a T20I series against Pakistan but couldn't secure a win. Following that, they participated in a tri-series against the Netherlands and Scotland, defeating the Dutch twice and Scotland once.

IND vs IRE, Head-to-Head:

In the seven matches played between these two teams, India have won all their matches. Ireland do not have a good record against India. Based on our analysis and trends, we predict that India will win this match. The bowlers of both teams have earned the most fantasy points for their respective teams so far.

Squads:

India Squad:
Ravindra Jadeja, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Yuzvendra Chahal, Suryakumar Yadav, Sanju Samson, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Hardik Pandya, Jasprit Bumrah, Rishabh Pant, Mohammed Siraj, Shivam Dube, Arshdeep Singh and Yashasvi Jaiswal

Ireland Squad: Andy Balbirnie, Paul Stirling, George Dockrell, Graham Hume, Ben White, Craig Young, Barry McCarthy, Mark Adair, Joshua Little, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Curtis Campher, Gareth Delany, Neil Rock and Ross Adair

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

In all these years Kohli has played only 2 games against Ireland. He made 0 & 9. Way back in 2018.

Malan says Irish must believe they can shock India

Ireland coach Heinrich Malan says his players must go into their T20 World Cup opener against India on 5 June in New York believing that they can beat the star-studded opposition.

Malan, who has just signed a contract extension which will keep him in the Ireland job until the summer of 2027, says he's "excited about playing India" and wants his players to have the same mentality.

"When you look at T20 cricket you need maybe one or two players to have a special time out and you can take down any team in the world down," said the South African native.

To back up his argument, Malan can point to his Ireland team's victory over eventual tournament winners England at the last T20 World Cup in Australia two years ago.

"India are obviously coming fresh off the IPL and I see they’ve rested a couple of guys in their warm-up stuff.

"[But] T20 cricket has shown up over a fair period of time that if you play a certain way and you have the right intent and players come to the party on the day, that all teams that are going to compete at this competition are equally matched."

India were beaten on home turf by Australia in last year's 50-over World Cup final.

Yuzvendra Chahal, the only bowler to take 200 wickets in IPL history, is among four spinners selected in their tournament squad, while Rishabh Pant is among two wicketkeepers - some 16 months after he survived a serious car crash.

With India certain to have huge support in New York, just as they have wherever they play, Malan is hoping that US-based Irish folk will take the opportunity to cheer on their team at the Nassau County Stadium on Long Island.

"We need everyone there to be honest," added the Ireland coach.

"It doesn’t matter where you play India. We’ve played them at home over the last couple of years and they get people behind them. It will be nice to get some Irish supporters out there and I’m sure we will.

"Hopefully we can play some good cricket over the week that we’re there and catch up with them for a beer afterwards."

Malan says the tournament is a big opportunity for his side to increase the appeal of a game which still remains in the minority sport bracket on the island of Ireland.

"Hopefully people will switch the telly on and see a successful team and hopefully that will encourage people to go and play a wonderful sport.

"We want to try and work across the system and across our pathways so we can try and get those players upskilled and hopefully play for Ireland in years to come."

The Irish go into the tournament having beaten Pakistan in the opening game of the recent T20 series in Dublin, before winning a tri-nations series in the Netherlands against the Dutch and Scotland.

After being appointed as white-ball skipper following Ireland's disappointing failure to qualify for last year's World Cup, Paul Stirling will lead the Irish in the USA and the Caribbean and Malan says he is the ideal man to take the team into battle.

"The experience, the calmness that Stirlo brings from being on the road so much over the last five years and his ability to keep things really simple and have a real consistency in the way that he communicates [is his great attribute]. He is very precise," added Malan.

BBC

Ireland can easily shock INdia on this pitch. Nothing is cake walk in New york. Batting first or second doesn't mater.

Cricket on these wickets will kill the interest among locals for sure. What a snooze fest so far.

Rahul Dravid knows about the challenges his team will have to counter when they play against Ireland in New York, he said:

"We won’t be able to play T20 cricket the way we want in New York. We will have to respect the situation and conditions. The score of 140 will be a good total. We have experience batters in our side and they can take us to a good score."

“You can’t go out there and play strokes from the first ball of the match. It is not going to be easy but we can certainly handle things,”

“Rohit, Yashasvi and Virat are three opening options. Virat did well for RCB as an opener in the Indian Premier League 2024. We will take a call on match day,”

Rahul Dravid knows about the challenges his team will have to counter when they play against Ireland in New York, he said:

"We won’t be able to play T20 cricket the way we want in New York. We will have to respect the situation and conditions. The score of 140 will be a good total. We have experience batters in our side and they can take us to a good score."

“You can’t go out there and play strokes from the first ball of the match. It is not going to be easy but we can certainly handle things,”

“Rohit, Yashasvi and Virat are three opening options. Virat did well for RCB as an opener in the Indian Premier League 2024. We will take a call on match day,”
Similar defensive mindset. Always excuses. No way will 140 be enough- maybe against Ireland but not against teams like aus or eng. They will target 165-170 plus. Both ind and pak will tuk tuk to these useless pars with tuk tuk players and then get knocked out inthe SFs.

T20 is about intent and being aggressive- it puts the bowlers off their length no matter the pitch. Just wait till head/warner & butler/ jacks bat. Aus eng will not be making pitch excuses. This statement by dravid shows ind is not winning the WC . Kohli as opener??? If jaiswal is dropped.- that will be ridiculous and ind will have army of tuk tuk statpadding players.

Looking at the pitches so far, this game can get interesting. So far 180 seems to be more than enough for the team.

India is going to win IMO. Ireland should play their best game and hope that luck favors them here and there if they want to win.

Babar will prefer dravid as for sure.What a clown dravid is turning out be .is it Rohit's opinion too on 140 score ?

Dravid is a bad influence on India atm
I never know that guy is this much intellectually challenged.i was his fan,so it beats me further.If rohit's captaincy was as good as Dhoni or Fleming, dravid can be bearable.Both of them are complete negative effects on the Indian team now.

I never know that guy is this much intellectually challenged.i was his fan,so it beats me further.If rohit's captaincy was as good as Dhoni or Fleming, dravid can be bearable.Both of them are complete negative effects on the Indian team now.
Rohit is an amazing captain wdym? 2023 was bad luck, they murked every team but lost it when it mattered the most even then wasn't due to rohit, he was gum through the tournament.

And the 2 captains you mentioned are the greatest ever alongside waugh and pointing? Who's gonna compare to them?

Rohit is an amazing captain wdym? 2023 was bad luck, they murked every team but lost it when it mattered the most even then wasn't due to rohit, he was gum through the tournament.

And the 2 captains you mentioned are the greatest ever alongside waugh and pointing? Who's gonna compare to them?
Rohit never won a tight match with his captaincy like kohli or Dhoni as far as I remember.Both him and dravid have only plan A.Both will behave like a deer in the headlights in case of issues.you can see that in 1st test match against eng in second innings. We don't need all time great captains but atleast good ones like Morgan,cummins etc

rohit captaincy so dull he crumble on pressure situation always make crying face

Rohit never won a tight match with his captaincy like kohli or Dhoni as far as I remember.Both him and dravid have only plan A.Both will behave like a deer in the headlights in case of issues.you can see that in 1st test match against eng in second innings. We don't need all time great captains but atleast good ones like Morgan,cummins etc
AlrightE, you clearly know the Indian team better then I do, so I agree with you

If Stirlo is smart, he will open with Little and Dockrell against Rohit and Kohli. India could be in for a shocker considering the pitch

Ireland can do upsets but not sure if it will be India or Pakistan. Could be none of them.

If Stirlo is smart, he will open with Little and Dockrell against Rohit and Kohli. India could be in for a shocker considering the pitch

You guys always get really superstitious during tournaments but before then be saying things like best ever rah rah, superior to the OG West Indies and Australia, and now, it’s squeaky bum time against Ireland :yk

Support your team the way Babar and Rizwan are supported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, Ireland are not winning.

But Dravid is such a weasel as a coach who thinks he can intellectualize his cowardice with mediocre verbiage.

Tomorrow I will be Irish.
Don't you want India too win though?

It's better to have a top side in super 8's brother, then a mediocre side.

India and Pakistan shpuld qualify because even if Pakistan fumbles USA, Ireland and Canada in super 8's will be boring and not as fun. Pakistan atleast somehow brings kudrat ki nizam to tournaments and flukes their way in on occasion like they did In 2022 and heck even In 2023 to some extent drs'ing NZ lol

You guys always get really superstitious during tournaments but before then be saying things like best ever rah rah, superior to the OG West Indies and Australia, and now, it’s squeaky bum time against Ireland :yk

Brother.....

You really need to stop saying riswan.

I hope Irish can do it in indian chase otherwise rohit will copy and bring all the spinners to dismantle them in case of Irish case

Isn't siraj mediocre in t20? Only gun in odi?
He is great at exploiting juice out of seaming pitches. In T20s you usually see flat decks. That's why Siraj gets smashed.

But if he gets a wicket like that of South Africa v Sri Lanka. Then he will be very dangerous.

Anything can happen in cricket especially in T20 cricket and Ireland is capable of beating top teams.
They can certainly beat Pakistan but india might be too much for them.

Hoping for an Irish win though.
Let's go Ireland.

Don't you want India too win though?

It's better to have a top side in super 8's brother, then a mediocre side.

India and Pakistan shpuld qualify because even if Pakistan fumbles USA, Ireland and Canada in super 8's will be boring and not as fun. Pakistan atleast somehow brings kudrat ki nizam to tournaments and flukes their way in on occasion like they did In 2022 and heck even In 2023 to some extent drs'ing NZ lol
Nah.

I hate India team

Got nothing to do with superstition. Kohli and Rohit are relics from a different era. Easily tied down by left arm pace and left arm spin.

We have younger, better options being kept away so that these 2 geezers can stay in the limelight.

We have younger, better options being kept away so that these 2 geezers can stay in the limelight.
On top of it gavaskar and other commentators bad mouth jaiswal for bad ipl form but leaving rohits past 6 years of mediocre stats of avg 25 at SR 126.These commentators became such a bandwagons of pr campaigns for oldies

Lol, Ireland are not winning.

But Dravid is such a weasel as a coach who thinks he can intellectualize his cowardice with mediocre verbiage.
Dravid is a gem of human, being a weasel is something I can never associate with him.

Got nothing to do with superstition. Kohli and Rohit are relics from a different era. Easily tied down by left arm pace and left arm spin.

Who is good enough to replace those two? I doubt you would have the guts to drop them if you were on the selection panel

Who is good enough to replace those two? I doubt you would have the guts to drop them if you were on the selection panel
If I were given carte blanche selection powers, I'd select Jaiswal over Kohli and Abhishek Sharma over Rohit. And that's not counting the likes of Gill and Ruturaj who performed in T20I cricket while Kohli and Rohit happily missed every T20 I after the last World T20

If I were given carte blanche selection powers, I'd select Jaiswal over Kohli and Abhishek Sharma over Rohit. And that's not counting the likes of Gill and Ruturaj who performed in T20I cricket while Kohli and Rohit happily missed every T20 I after the last World T20

Apart from tournaments, other T20I’s are not really that important, many top players don’t play these, and use them to develop other talent. Those two turn it on in ICC events, I don’t know what the alternatives have achieved which makes them bigger match winners on the big stage

Apart from tournaments, other T20I’s are not really that important, many top players don’t play these, and use them to develop other talent. Those two turn it on in ICC events, I don’t know what the alternatives have achieved which makes them bigger match winners on the big stage

By that logic , Pakistan should stick to Rizwan and Babar forever since nobody else has done anything anyway.

Ireland captain Paul Stirling says a good display against number one side India in their first men's T20 World Cup game would give them confidence for the rest of the tournament, He said:

“India are a really difficult challenge - they’ve got a number of top, top bowlers, they’ve just come off the back of the IPL and we know what they bring is the highest quality in cricket standards,"

“No matter what happens, if we put in a strong performance we’ll go in with confidence into the next three games of the group."

I certainly never thought I would play a cricket game in New York in my life - it’s something I’m looking forward to and I know the rest of the squad are as well."

Rohit Sharma (India Captain) pre-match Press Conference - 4th June 2024

[Reporter:]

World Cup was never held. Is it a mystery or an excitement? And starting off with a team like Ireland is it also a psychological advantage on an unknown wicket?

[Rohit Sharma:]

Yeah, the conditions are quite unknown for many teams who are going to play here and it is the same for all the oppositions. It is going to be the same for all the teams playing here. You just have to play good cricket, it’s as simple as that. We're not going to look into too much into the oppositions we are playing. What is important for us, is to do well as a team, whether batting, bowling or fielding. Our focus will be on all these three aspects of the game and not too much into what kind of oppositions we are playing. Of course, you look into their strengths and weaknesses, but not looking at how they play or what their team is composed of. I think our focus will be on what we want to do as a team and focus on all three aspects of the game, like I said.

There is a certain brand of cricket that the team has been playing in both the white ball formats over a period of time. Given the conditions as they might exist here, how important is it to adapt and how therefore important does it become for the top three to send messages back to the dressing room, especially when you're batting first?

Yeah, I think we saw in the warm -up game we played against Bangladesh. Of course, the two batters were in the middle. A lot of communications between them at first, and then obviously, sending the message back in as well is quite important. Those are the basics of when you start playing in slightly difficult or different conditions, I would say; communication between your partners and the guys who are coming to bat in.

We have discussed a lot of stuff before this game as to what the condition has to offer and how we're going to play on these type of conditions. Certainly, it doesn't look like it's a place where you can score easily. So, we've got to be a little mindful of that and see what best we can do. That is what the experience in the dressing room is all about. We've got a lot of experienced batters who have played in different conditions outside of India. I hope their experience come to the fore, apply themselves and use it to their best advantage, and eventually benefiting the team as well.

I think it's quite important to do little things right in these types of conditions, eventually adding up to the bigger cause. And that is what the focus will be on.

We are all coming off playing an IPL where a lot of runs were scored. So, it's important to have that balance, understand what is required here. It's certainly not going to be an IPL kind of scores here. We are very mindful of that. And we just need to assess as quickly as possible and then bring your game into the picture.

Obviously, you had the warm-up game on the ground the other day, but then yesterday the pitch played a certain way. Did the performance of the pitch yesterday, has that led you to make even further changes?

I didn't get to watch the game. I was a little busy with my family who had arrived yesterday. But no, certainly I know how the pitch played, hearing from my other teammates, and we've got a lot of guys in the team and the support staff were talking about what happened in that game.

But see, again, all I can say is we'll make the best decision possible for these types of conditions, whatever the best level we feel. We’ll just go to the ground and have a look at the pitch. Certainly, a lot of things are very uncertain in terms of the outfield, in terms of how the pitch is going to play. There is a square of four pitches. I don't know which wicket we will be playing on. So, who knows - the wicket that we are playing tomorrow might be a good wicket to bat on. So, it's all about adapting. Like I said just now, it's all about adapting and getting used to that condition real fast, because you don't have too much time. And if the pitch plays well, certainly we know what to do on pitches which are playing well. When the pitch is doing a little bit, we know exactly what we need to do as a batting group. And also, the bowling group as well. It's just not about batting. I think when you have a pitch like that, where it's slightly helpful for the bowlers, bowlers have an important role to play as well.

So yeah, we'll keep an eye on all these aspects of the game and see what is best in terms of our combination as well. We've got balance in all department, whether if we need seamers, we've got seamers, we have good spin bowlers as well. So yeah, we'll decide based on how the pitch is. Again, the dimension of the ground as well, we've got to go and see all of that.

Rohit, before the ODI World Cup, you had said that there was a sense of unfinished business to that tournament. And we all know how difficult it was to deal with the defeat. So here, this is one tournament that you have won. And so do you go into a T20 World Cup like this with a lot more freedom as – what has to happen will happen - otherwise it's fine. Like, life goes on.

I have thought a lot about all this - now I'm just going to play my game and help the team in whatever way I can and get everyone together to play as a team, that is what I'm going to be focusing on. Not looking at the larger picture, I don't think those kinds of thoughts will help so much. Staying in the present and doing what is required at that particular time which is important, and I'll be focusing on that. I'm sure everyone in the team have their own way of dealing with tournaments like World Cup. And I'm sure they'll take the right calls as well. But for me, I think it's important not to look too far ahead. Just think about what we need to do tomorrow. Play the game well and then take it from there. We wont think too much and put ourselves under pressure.

You played almost all the T20 World Cups from the starting. How the game has evolved over the years? Could you share what you expect this time?

Yeah, we have seen it over the years. A lot of innovations, a lot of unexpected things people don't expect guys are doing and that's how the game has evolved. The run scoring has become a lot more frequent and guys are fearless now. They don't worry about the results so much. They just want to try and put pressure. The bowlers, the same as well. They're not afraid of taking various options when they are bowling as well.

So yeah, it's there for people to see how the game has evolved from 2007 to now.

140 - 150 was a winning score. But again, on pitches like these, I don't know what the good score is, but I'm just saying, all the tournaments that we've been watching, T20 tournaments, the average score is a lot more than what it used to be in 2007. So that's because of the innovation of the players, trying to do different things at different times, being brave, and stuff like that.

As an individual player or as maybe a captain of one of the most popular team in the world, how do you see this whole concept of bringing cricket to mainland America and cricket will be a part of LA Olympics as well? From that point of view, how hopeful, how excited are you guys to play cricket in this part of the world?

No, we are all very excited. We never thought - cricket in America will be played at any given stage, but now that we are here it's a different feeling.

From the time we arrived in New York, spending only 10 minutes at immigration, which is very rare. So, you can make out that the buzz is here, even the locals here are quite intrigued by a cricket tournament happening, a World Cup happening here. Because we go to the cafes and all. There are a lot of locals who come there and wish us the best. So, all these things, we've never experienced because we've never been here. We've been to Florida, but this is different. I'm sure all of us who are playing here will leave a mark in this city and the people of US as well.

So hopefully it's the right step in the right direction. And for the future of cricket to happen in America, I think this is the right platform and right first stepping stone for all of us, all the teams who are participating, to make sure that we leave something behind for the people of US.

Yesterday Rahul declared that it would be his last assignment as coach. You have had the best of equation with him as captain and coach. Will you say something about your association and is there anything in the team that will do it for him or something like that? Generally, it happens before the World Cup.

We have not really thought of it. But yeah, look, my equation with him goes a long way back from the time he came to do this job, actually. He was my first international captain when I made my debut in Ireland. He was my first captain, and then I've seen him play while I was just coming into the team, test matches, when he was captain. And such a big role model for all of us. Growing up, we watched him play. We know what he's achieved personally as a player and also what he's done for the team over the years, battling out the team from difficult situations. And that is what he's known for. He's shown a lot of great determination throughout his career, and that is something that, when he came here as a coach, I wanted to learn from him. It's been very fruitful, other than the big silverware I think we've won all the major tournaments and series and all of that. But yeah, having said that, I think I've enjoyed every bit of it, working with him, deciding what direction the team needs to head. And for him to buy into that thought, obviously, makes a huge difference. And he was the first one who came and said, this is what we need to do as a team. And no matter what happens, but at least we'll give it a good shot at it when he arrived.

I tried convincing him to stay, but obviously, there are a lot of things that he needs to look after as well. But yeah, I've personally enjoyed my time with him. I'm sure the rest of the guys will say the same. It's been great working with him and I hope, I'm not going to say anything, actually. I'm not going to say anything.

Rohit, just what your thoughts are on the Ireland team and whether it's, we say in English, a bit of a banana skin type of game for you.

No, not really. It's going to be a good game. They are a good team. They play a lot of T20 cricket, a lot of their players play around the world in a lot of the leagues. So yeah, it's going to be as competitive a game as we play with any other opposition. Like I said at the start, the first question, we just got to be looking at what we need to do as a team. And whatever they throw at us, we need to be ready with our answers as well.

So, it's going to be a good game. We have to be at our best to win the game. That's how T20 cricket goes. If you lose the grip, if you lose your focus, there's a good chance that you might not end up on the right side. So, for us, I think it's important that we start well, focus on what we need to do, assess the conditions, and play the game well.

Rohit, when you left the shores of India in the press conference with the chief selector, Ajit Agarkar, a question was asked, why four spinners are being taken to the Caribbean and the US. And your answer was, that is my secret. Is today the day where the magician reveals a secret?

No, it's still a secret. You'll watch it across the tournament.

That was my question too – you have thought about it and brought four spinners. But the practice match that you'll played, what was happening for the spinner? Yesterday also, Sri Lanka's batting first was a mess. The spinner played a big role in that. So, the role of the spinner, the way you bat in practice matches, it seems that in general, not only for us, the role of the spinner will be big here.

Yes, it will be there. It will definitely be there. And our two spinners are basically all-rounders. Jadeja and Axar Patel. So, if you want to make a good team balance, you need a lot of all-rounders in the team who can bat and put overs.

In fast bowling all-rounders, we have Hardik, Dubey, Jadeja. In spin we have two – Aksar and Jadeja. So how to use these four players is our focus. We have thought about it already but as the tournament progresses, different conditions come up, opposition comes up, we will accordingly use these four players. That is our focus.

We have seen the all-rounders are big factors in T20 cricket. Not just T20 cricket, but in all formats. But I think their roles will be very important because the rest of the team can only play one role, they have two roles in the team. So, I think it is important that we use these four well. As I said, I don't know if we can play all four together. If we can, that'll be good. If we cannot, even then, we have to find our way. But if you have options, it's good. If you don't have options, you won't be able to do anything. And as we saw when we played the warm-up game against Bangladesh, all three spinners bowled two overs each, but they bowled two good overs. It wasn't that easy to hit them. And in yesterday's match too, the spinners took wickets.

So, look, no one knows about these conditions, whether the spinners will take wickets or the seamers. So, we have to find the best combination. We have to see what will suit our team. How can we keep our batting line up long? How can we have more bowling options? So, keeping these two things in mind, we will think of making a combination.

During the warm up game, a fan had suddenly come on the ground. The way the security caught him, you were requesting him to take it easy. Can you tell us about the emotion at that time? And the fans who have come to America for the first time are very eager to meet you and get your attention. Obviously wherever you play for India, there is a lot of such demand. Is it a distraction? How do you handle the team?

See, first of all, I would say that no one should intrude into the ground. This is not right. And this question was also not right, because we don't want to promote this thing that who is running and coming to the ground.

I think, players' security is important, similarly, the security of the people outside is also important. We are playing cricket, yes, but the people sitting outside, it is important for them to understand that there are rules and regulations for every country. It is very important to follow them and understand them. So, that's all I can say. Now, what more can I say?

See, the rules are different in India and here. So, understand the rules, what is there and what is not. See the match, they have made such a good stadium. You can watch the match comfortably. No need to run to the ground, no need to do all this, I think.

And what was the other thing?

Is this a distraction? When such incidents happen?

No, no, it's not a distraction. Look, our focus is on some other things. We don't focus on who is running to the ground and what to do. I don't think that any player will be distracted by that. Because a lot of big things are going through their minds. How to win a match, how to make a run, how to take a wicket. I'm sure everyone is thinking about that. So, I don't think that players can be distracted by such things. So, I don't think we can distract the players.

When I do a radio show, there's a tagline of mine, Mamta, who doesn't like anything.

I just want to say that as a captain of this team, playing here in US, it's a completely different experience for you. So, what would you like to say to your fans in the US, not just NRI, but everyone who doesn't know cricket?

No, see, that's why we came here to play cricket, to promote cricket in this country. We have never played cricket in this state, we have never played an international match here, it's going to be the first time. I'm sure that, as I said, all of us cricketers here should leave something behind for the American public who live here and who like cricket. So hopefully, the kind of cricket that will be played here – hopefully the fans and others will come to watch cricket and there will be a lot more matches here in the future. That's what I think.

Did you do any preparation for the Caribbean? I'm from Barbados and I know that's where your goal is. So, did you prepare for the prospect that you might be doing the finals in Barbados?

Like I said, it's too far ahead. But we played a lot of cricket in West Indies last year as well. We played a lot of T20 cricket as well. Although we didn't win the series the last time we played in the Caribbean. But I mean, we understand the conditions there. We know what to expect from those type of conditions. We played possibly in all the venues that we're going to play during the World Cup. So, we are quite aware of the conditions. All the guys have played, maybe one or two haven't played there, but the rest of us are here to help them out as to what they need to do. But in terms of knowing the conditions, preparation, I think we should be sorted with that, because we played a lot of cricket there.

World Cup was never held. Is it a mystery or an excitement? And starting off with a team like Ireland is it also a psychological advantage on an unknown wicket?

Yeah, the conditions are quite unknown for many teams who are going to play here and it is the same for all the oppositions. It is going to be the same for all the teams playing here. You just have to play good cricket, it’s as simple as that. We're not going to look into too much into the oppositions we are playing. What is important for us, is to do well as a team, whether batting, bowling or fielding. Our focus will be on all these three aspects of the game and not too much into what kind of oppositions we are playing. Of course, you look into their strengths and weaknesses, but not looking at how they play or what their team is composed of. I think our focus will be on what we want to do as a team and focus on all three aspects of the game, like I said.

There is a certain brand of cricket that the team has been playing in both the white ball formats over a period of time. Given the conditions as they might exist here, how important is it to adapt and how therefore important does it become for the top three to send messages back to the dressing room, especially when you're batting first?

Yeah, I think we saw in the warm -up game we played against Bangladesh. Of course, the two batters were in the middle. A lot of communications between them at first, and then obviously, sending the message back in as well is quite important. Those are the basics of when you start playing in slightly difficult or different conditions, I would say; communication between your partners and the guys who are coming to bat in.

We have discussed a lot of stuff before this game as to what the condition has to offer and how we're going to play on these type of conditions. Certainly, it doesn't look like it's a place where you can score easily. So, we've got to be a little mindful of that and see what best we can do. That is what the experience in the dressing room is all about. We've got a lot of experienced batters who have played in different conditions outside of India. I hope their experience come to the fore, apply themselves and use it to their best advantage, and eventually benefiting the team as well.

I think it's quite important to do little things right in these types of conditions, eventually adding up to the bigger cause. And that is what the focus will be on.

We are all coming off playing an IPL where a lot of runs were scored. So, it's important to have that balance, understand what is required here. It's certainly not going to be an IPL kind of scores here. We are very mindful of that. And we just need to assess as quickly as possible and then bring your game into the picture.

Obviously, you had the warm-up game on the ground the other day, but then yesterday the pitch played a certain way. Did the performance of the pitch yesterday, has that led you to make even further changes?

I didn't get to watch the game. I was a little busy with my family who had arrived yesterday. But no, certainly I know how the pitch played, hearing from my other teammates, and we've got a lot of guys in the team and the support staff were talking about what happened in that game.

But see, again, all I can say is we'll make the best decision possible for these types of conditions, whatever the best level we feel. We’ll just go to the ground and have a look at the pitch. Certainly, a lot of things are very uncertain in terms of the outfield, in terms of how the pitch is going to play. There is a square of four pitches. I don't know which wicket we will be playing on. So, who knows - the wicket that we are playing tomorrow might be a good wicket to bat on. So, it's all about adapting. Like I said just now, it's all about adapting and getting used to that condition real fast, because you don't have too much time. And if the pitch plays well, certainly we know what to do on pitches which are playing well. When the pitch is doing a little bit, we know exactly what we need to do as a batting group. And also, the bowling group as well. It's just not about batting. I think when you have a pitch like that, where it's slightly helpful for the bowlers, bowlers have an important role to play as well.

So yeah, we'll keep an eye on all these aspects of the game and see what is best in terms of our combination as well. We've got balance in all department, whether if we need seamers, we've got seamers, we have good spin bowlers as well. So yeah, we'll decide based on how the pitch is. Again, the dimension of the ground as well, we've got to go and see all of that.

Rohit, before the ODI World Cup, you had said that there was a sense of unfinished business to that tournament. And we all know how difficult it was to deal with the defeat. So here, this is one tournament that you have won. And so do you go into a T20 World Cup like this with a lot more freedom as – what has to happen will happen - otherwise it's fine. Like, life goes on.

I have thought a lot about all this - now I'm just going to play my game and help the team in whatever way I can and get everyone together to play as a team, that is what I'm going to be focusing on. Not looking at the larger picture, I don't think those kinds of thoughts will help so much. Staying in the present and doing what is required at that particular time which is important, and I'll be focusing on that. I'm sure everyone in the team have their own way of dealing with tournaments like World Cup. And I'm sure they'll take the right calls as well. But for me, I think it's important not to look too far ahead. Just think about what we need to do tomorrow. Play the game well and then take it from there. We wont think too much and put ourselves under pressure.

You played almost all the T20 World Cups from the starting. How the game has evolved over the years? Could you share what you expect this time?

Yeah, we have seen it over the years. A lot of innovations, a lot of unexpected things people don't expect guys are doing and that's how the game has evolved. The run scoring has become a lot more frequent and guys are fearless now. They don't worry about the results so much. They just want to try and put pressure. The bowlers, the same as well. They're not afraid of taking various options when they are bowling as well.

So yeah, it's there for people to see how the game has evolved from 2007 to now.

140 - 150 was a winning score. But again, on pitches like these, I don't know what the good score is, but I'm just saying, all the tournaments that we've been watching, T20 tournaments, the average score is a lot more than what it used to be in 2007. So that's because of the innovation of the players, trying to do different things at different times, being brave, and stuff like that.

As an individual player or as maybe a captain of one of the most popular team in the world, how do you see this whole concept of bringing cricket to mainland America and cricket will be a part of LA Olympics as well? From that point of view, how hopeful, how excited are you guys to play cricket in this part of the world?

No, we are all very excited. We never thought - cricket in America will be played at any given stage, but now that we are here it's a different feeling.

From the time we arrived in New York, spending only 10 minutes at immigration, which is very rare. So, you can make out that the buzz is here, even the locals here are quite intrigued by a cricket tournament happening, a World Cup happening here. Because we go to the cafes and all. There are a lot of locals who come there and wish us the best. So, all these things, we've never experienced because we've never been here. We've been to Florida, but this is different. I'm sure all of us who are playing here will leave a mark in this city and the people of US as well.

So hopefully it's the right step in the right direction. And for the future of cricket to happen in America, I think this is the right platform and right first stepping stone for all of us, all the teams who are participating, to make sure that we leave something behind for the people of US.

Yesterday Rahul declared that it would be his last assignment as coach. You have had the best of equation with him as captain and coach. Will you say something about your association and is there anything in the team that will do it for him or something like that? Generally, it happens before the World Cup.

We have not really thought of it. But yeah, look, my equation with him goes a long way back from the time he came to do this job, actually. He was my first international captain when I made my debut in Ireland. He was my first captain, and then I've seen him play while I was just coming into the team, test matches, when he was captain. And such a big role model for all of us. Growing up, we watched him play. We know what he's achieved personally as a player and also what he's done for the team over the years, battling out the team from difficult situations. And that is what he's known for. He's shown a lot of great determination throughout his career, and that is something that, when he came here as a coach, I wanted to learn from him. It's been very fruitful, other than the big silverware I think we've won all the major tournaments and series and all of that. But yeah, having said that, I think I've enjoyed every bit of it, working with him, deciding what direction the team needs to head. And for him to buy into that thought, obviously, makes a huge difference. And he was the first one who came and said, this is what we need to do as a team. And no matter what happens, but at least we'll give it a good shot at it when he arrived.

I tried convincing him to stay, but obviously, there are a lot of things that he needs to look after as well. But yeah, I've personally enjoyed my time with him. I'm sure the rest of the guys will say the same. It's been great working with him and I hope, I'm not going to say anything, actually. I'm not going to say anything.

Rohit, just what your thoughts are on the Ireland team and whether it's, we say in English, a bit of a banana skin type of game for you.

No, not really. It's going to be a good game. They are a good team. They play a lot of T20 cricket, a lot of their players play around the world in a lot of the leagues. So yeah, it's going to be as competitive a game as we play with any other opposition. Like I said at the start, the first question, we just got to be looking at what we need to do as a team. And whatever they throw at us, we need to be ready with our answers as well.

So, it's going to be a good game. We have to be at our best to win the game. That's how T20 cricket goes. If you lose the grip, if you lose your focus, there's a good chance that you might not end up on the right side. So, for us, I think it's important that we start well, focus on what we need to do, assess the conditions, and play the game well.

Rohit, when you left the shores of India in the press conference with the chief selector, Ajit Agarkar, a question was asked, why four spinners are being taken to the Caribbean and the US. And your answer was, that is my secret. Is today the day where the magician reveals a secret?

No, it's still a secret. You'll watch it across the tournament.

That was my question too – you have thought about it and brought four spinners. But the practice match that you'll played, what was happening for the spinner? Yesterday also, Sri Lanka's batting first was a mess. The spinner played a big role in that. So, the role of the spinner, the way you bat in practice matches, it seems that in general, not only for us, the role of the spinner will be big here.

Yes, it will be there. It will definitely be there. And our two spinners are basically all-rounders. Jadeja and Axar Patel. So, if you want to make a good team balance, you need a lot of all-rounders in the team who can bat and put overs.

In fast bowling all-rounders, we have Hardik, Dubey, Jadeja. In spin we have two – Aksar and Jadeja. So how to use these four players is our focus. We have thought about it already but as the tournament progresses, different conditions come up, opposition comes up, we will accordingly use these four players. That is our focus.

We have seen the all-rounders are big factors in T20 cricket. Not just T20 cricket, but in all formats. But I think their roles will be very important because the rest of the team can only play one role, they have two roles in the team. So, I think it is important that we use these four well. As I said, I don't know if we can play all four together. If we can, that'll be good. If we cannot, even then, we have to find our way. But if you have options, it's good. If you don't have options, you won't be able to do anything. And as we saw when we played the warm-up game against Bangladesh, all three spinners bowled two overs each, but they bowled two good overs. It wasn't that easy to hit them. And in yesterday's match too, the spinners took wickets.

So, look, no one knows about these conditions, whether the spinners will take wickets or the seamers. So, we have to find the best combination. We have to see what will suit our team. How can we keep our batting line up long? How can we have more bowling options? So, keeping these two things in mind, we will think of making a combination.

During the warm up game, a fan had suddenly come on the ground. The way the security caught him, you were requesting him to take it easy. Can you tell us about the emotion at that time? And the fans who have come to America for the first time are very eager to meet you and get your attention. Obviously wherever you play for India, there is a lot of such demand. Is it a distraction? How do you handle the team?

See, first of all, I would say that no one should intrude into the ground. This is not right. And this question was also not right, because we don't want to promote this thing that who is running and coming to the ground.

I think, players' security is important, similarly, the security of the people outside is also important. We are playing cricket, yes, but the people sitting outside, it is important for them to understand that there are rules and regulations for every country. It is very important to follow them and understand them. So, that's all I can say. Now, what more can I say?

See, the rules are different in India and here. So, understand the rules, what is there and what is not. See the match, they have made such a good stadium. You can watch the match comfortably. No need to run to the ground, no need to do all this, I think.

And what was the other thing?

Is this a distraction? When such incidents happen?

No, no, it's not a distraction. Look, our focus is on some other things. We don't focus on who is running to the ground and what to do. I don't think that any player will be distracted by that. Because a lot of big things are going through their minds. How to win a match, how to make a run, how to take a wicket. I'm sure everyone is thinking about that. So, I don't think that players can be distracted by such things. So, I don't think we can distract the players.

When I do a radio show, there's a tagline of mine, Mamta, who doesn't like anything.

I just want to say that as a captain of this team, playing here in US, it's a completely different experience for you. So, what would you like to say to your fans in the US, not just NRI, but everyone who doesn't know cricket?

No, see, that's why we came here to play cricket, to promote cricket in this country. We have never played cricket in this state, we have never played an international match here, it's going to be the first time. I'm sure that, as I said, all of us cricketers here should leave something behind for the American public who live here and who like cricket. So hopefully, the kind of cricket that will be played here – hopefully the fans and others will come to watch cricket and there will be a lot more matches here in the future. That's what I think.

Did you do any preparation for the Caribbean? I'm from Barbados and I know that's where your goal is. So, did you prepare for the prospect that you might be doing the finals in Barbados?

Like I said, it's too far ahead. But we played a lot of cricket in West Indies last year as well. We played a lot of T20 cricket as well. Although we didn't win the series the last time we played in the Caribbean. But I mean, we understand the conditions there. We know what to expect from those type of conditions. We played possibly in all the venues that we're going to play during the World Cup. So, we are quite aware of the conditions. All the guys have played, maybe one or two haven't played there, but the rest of us are here to help them out as to what they need to do. But in terms of knowing the conditions, preparation, I think we should be sorted with that, because we played a lot of cricket there.

Jaiswal
Kohli
SKY
Rohit
Pant
Dube
Pandya
Jadeja
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Arahdeep

This should be the lineup. 5th bowler between Pandya and Dube.

India needs to stick to the above lineup at least the first few matches and see how it goes. This is the strongest lineup that India can field considering the hopeless squad that was selected for this WT20.

I certainly think he probably told his side that 240 would be defendable in the final.

Yes, he's the kind of boring, unimaginative dullard who'd have told them, ''runs on the board matters in final'' or ''in the final 240 is enough because pressure adds 100 runs to the scorecard''.

A website is 100 percent that jaiswal is sitting out. Lmao, that'd be hilarious.

Rain is playing spoil party again in this tournament. I hope this game goes on fully as it could get very interesting.

In 2007 both india and pakistan were knocked out of the world cup which left the tournament very dull. Ireland and bangladesh in the second stage did not encourage crowds . It was said may indians bought tickets to the second stage and finals and did not attend. The following year india and pakistan were in the t20 finals in sa which drew huge sold out matches. From a monetary point of view the organisers will hope they remain to pull in many fans. However looking at the extremely poor performances of pakistan (due to nepotism and freindship influencing selection) ireland might be the better option this time around.​

Ahead of their match against Ireland in New York, India captain Rohit Sharma expressed uncertainty about which pitch would be used for the game during the pre-match press conference:

"There is a square of four pitches. I don't know which wicket we will be playing on. So, who knows - the wicket that we are playing tomorrow might be a good wicket to bat on. So, it's all about adapting."

"I didn't get to watch the game. I was a little busy with my family who had arrived yesterday. But no, certainly I know how the pitch played, hearing from my other teammates, and we've got a lot of guys in the team and the support staff were talking about what happened in that game. But, again, all I can say is we'll make the best decision possible for these conditions, whatever the best level we feel. We'll just go to the ground and have a look at the pitch."

"Certainly, a lot of things are very uncertain in terms of the outfield and how the pitch will play. Like I said just now, it's all about adapting and getting used to that condition real fast, because you don't have too much time. And if the pitch plays well, we certainly know what to do on pitches that are playing well. When the pitch is doing a little bit, we know exactly what we need to do as a batting group. And also, the bowling group as well. It's just not about batting. When you have a pitch like that, which is slightly helpful for the bowlers, bowlers have an important role to play as well."

Only chance Ireland has is if they get to chase. Early in the day, the ball was swinging more for NED than it was for Nepal.

Kuldeep will run through Irish batting if there's even a little bit of assistance for spinners

Currently, there are some clouds over the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium at New York

- India have a 7-0 T20I record against Ireland
- Kuldeep's last two T20Is v Ireland: 4-21 and 3-16
- Stirling v India: 1, 0, 4, 40, 11, 0
- Josh Little collected seven wickets across his last three

Ebony Rainford Brent and Shaun Pollock: 63 meters square boundary on one side, 72 on the other, and 74 meters straight boundary. Outfield, which was sluggish in last game, has been given an extra cut. Surface looks okay. It's pitch number four, SA-SL was on pitch number one. 180 was scored by India in the warm-up game here.

India will probably bat first now against Pakistan

They will lose the toss on Sunday

Toss Update: India have won the toss and have opted to field
India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), Virat Kohli, Rishabh Pant(w), Suryakumar Yadav, Shivam Dube, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Jasprit Bumrah, Arshdeep Singh, Mohammed Siraj

Ireland (Playing XI): Paul Stirling(c), Andrew Balbirnie, Lorcan Tucker(w), Harry Tector, Curtis Campher, George Dockrell, Gareth Delany, Mark Adair, Barry McCarthy, Joshua Little, Benjamin White

Lol they dropped jaiswal India only pure t20 batter i am not including sky

I don't pay attention to T20 ICC rankings much if the player has low strike rate. But Jaiswal is ranked 4 at a strike rate of 161. Just because he had one indifferent IPL season he is now the second choice.

India is not playing Kuldeep. This means they are confident they can win this game without their best spinner. This is some confidence.

Back