Joe Root vs Ravichandran Ashwin : The importance of this battle in the England vs India series

Hasan123

Test Star
Runs
Root is England's best batter whilst Ashwin is Indias best bowler especially in home conditions. Ashwin has got the better of Ab and Williamson recently so who will win this battle and how important is it in the upcoming series?

For me if Root can have a big series England can't be ruled as we know there batting line up is long. If Ashwin gets he better of Root things could ugly for India.

What are your thoughts on this battle and the importance of it in this series. And who will win this individual battle,Root or Ashwin?

Ps: try to stick to the topic of who will win this battle instead of concentrating on the winner of the series.

Root is a dangerman even if he flopped in Bangladesh.

Not sure about him playing many balls off the backfoot.

Either that will be his biggest strength (if he makes it work) or lead to his downfall when pitches turn.

Okay but I think Ashwin is Indias best bowler that's the reason for thread.

I get it. Valid thread.

Ever since Kumble has come in, Ashwin's game against righties has picked up big time. Tossing up the ball to make use of the rough even if the main area doesn't have much spin. But dunno if there will be much rough this time with English bowlers all being righties.

It will be a fun battle.

I get it. Valid thread.

Ever since Kumble has come in, Ashwin's game against righties has picked up big time. Tossing up the ball to make use of the rough even if the main area doesn't have much spin. But dunno if there will be much rough this time with English bowlers all being righties.

It will be a fun battle.

Ashwin seems much improved vs right handers. The way he bowled to Williamson was brilliant and he outhtought him brilliantly.

Root will need to be on top of his game and need to be wary when playing of the backfoot.

I can't see root successively falling to Ashwin tbf. Although he might struggle to perform due to the collective pressure heaped by the bowling attack.

Purpose of the thread was because I think root is England's best batter and Ashwin is Indias best bowler.

Jadeja could cause problems but Ashwin is the bigger threat

Yes, Ashwin said Williamson lunges forward a lot while defending deliveries and thought about using it (apparently Will had got out in a similar fashion in his last innings in India in 2012). So I'm sure Ashwin would've studied Root in the Bangladesh series and will be having his own plans for him.

However Root is arguably the best batsman in the world. Has been racking up runs with great consistency and he sure will be relishing the challenge, especially as people are writing off England's chances and England are coming into the series as underdogs. Will be one great battle to watch out for. Root is primarily a backfoot player, so their battle will be intriguing. However I'm more looking forward to Cook vs Ashwin. Cook is one of the best players of spin (averages something like 60 in Asia) and he mastered Ashwin 4 years ago. Ashwin's challenge will be to take out Cook early. Otherwise he will win matches for England.

Yes, Ashwin said Williamson lunges forward a lot while defending deliveries and thought about using it (apparently Will had got out in a similar fashion in his last innings in India in 2012). So I'm sure Ashwin would've studied Root in the Bangladesh series and will be having his own plans for him.

However Root is arguably the best batsman in the world. Has been racking up runs with great consistency and he sure will be relishing the challenge, especially as people are writing off England's chances and England are coming into the series as underdogs. Will be one great battle to watch out for. Root is primarily a backfoot player, so their battle will be intriguing. However I'm more looking forward to Cook vs Ashwin. Cook is one of the best players of spin (averages something like 60 in Asia) and he mastered Ashwin 4 years ago. Ashwin's challenge will be to take out Cook early. Otherwise he will win matches for England.

Cook vs Ashwin will be a good battle as well. Ashwin has the patience but so does Cook as well. Cook is the most experienced England batter. He'll be waiting for the chance to sweep and cut vs Ashwin. If Ashwin can get him playing foreward cook will be in trouble

Root is England's best batter whilst Ashwin is Indias best bowler especially in home conditions. Ashwin has got the better of Ab and Williamson recently so who will win this battle and how important is it in the upcoming series?

For me if Root can have a big series England can't be ruled as we know there batting line up is long. If Ashwin gets he better of Root things could ugly for India.

What are your thoughts on this battle and the importance of it in this series. And who will win this individual battle,Root or Ashwin?

Ps: try to stick to the topic of who will win this battle instead of concentrating on the winner of the series.

As others have said its just not Ashwin that Eng need to worry about ... Jadeja and Mishra are the dark horses that Eng players might fancy their chances and succumb to them. But I hope that Mishra gets picked ahead of Ishant Sharma .... if India pick Ishant Sharma instead of Mishra they will be playing with 10 players.

Good point but the Ashwin of 2012 was a different bowler than the current Ashwin. But I agree with you that Cook is a better player of spin than what he gets credit for.

I get the feeling India will do fine against the top order, but struggle against Stokes, Ali and Bairstow, who will all look to counter attack.

I guess Jaddu might surprise many English batters as they might come prepared for Ashwin. Especially for their lower order, Jaddu is the right bowler.

As others have said its just not Ashwin that Eng need to worry about ... Jadeja and Mishra are the dark horses that Eng players might fancy their chances and succumb to them. But I hope that Mishra gets picked ahead of Ishant Sharma .... if India pick Ishant Sharma instead of Mishra they will be playing with 10 players.

Mishra is certainly a dangerous customer England can't afford to take him lightly.

Lool Ishant is decent in India, don't know if he will start depends on his fitness. It's not clear weather India will be going with 5 bowlers or not.

Sick and tired of reading "if root or cook scores England might have a chance" nonsense.

They are important but Bairstow/ Moeen/ Stokes aren't any less crucial

Of course Ashwin will win. The series will be played on pitches that will be highly conducive to spin bowling, if not outright rank-turners.

Ashwin will spin a web round these English batsmen let alone Root.

The only batsman that the Indians should be wary of is Bairstow. The bear can bat, and on top of that he has an unbeatable attitude and temperament. I'll be honest I didn't rate him highly before Pakistan's tour but after seeing him guts it out innings after innings I became a huge fan of his.

Cook vs Ashwin will be a bigger battle. In2012 series,Cook dismantled Ashwin first at Ahmedabad and then in Mumbai followed by Kolkata. That is where we lost the series.

If Ash keeps Cook quiet, we should win the series.

Sick and tired of reading "if root or cook scores England might have a chance" nonsense.

Stokes, Moeeen and Bairstow have been more valuable than Root or Cook of late.

Yet they never get the same fanfare, I can't even remember the last time either of them lead the side to victory.

I know Stokes has a Test in SA and Bangladesh, Moeen has made great contributions in the lower order and taken wickets and Bairstow has been fantastic for the last year. But all we hear is Root this, Cook that.

Last edited:
Root has been a bit of an HTB, though he did score some runs in the UAE.

Stokes, Moeeen and Bairstow have been more valuable than Root or Cook of late.

Yet they never get the same fanfare, I can't even remember the last time either of them lead the side to victory.

I know Stokes has a Test in SA and Bangladesh, Moeen has made great contributions in the lower order and taken wickets and Bairstow has been fantastic for the last year. But all we hear is Root this, Cook that.

Asian fans have unhealthy obsession with batting stars even when there are more important bowlers and all-rounders around

Because most top teams expect there top order players to get the big runs. Low order runs are a bonus.

Bairstow should be batting up the order anyway

Because most top teams expect there top order players to get the big runs. Low order runs are a bonus.

Bairstow should be batting up the order anyway

Can't expect him to bat at 4 after keeping whole day

Those "bonus" runs have saved the team more times than I can remember

Can't expect him to bat at 4 after keeping whole day

Those "bonus" runs have saved the team more times than I can remember

Butler can take the gloves.

Yes because England top order is soo poor that's why there low order is so important. Not many other teams relay on there low order as much as England do.

Alternatively no other team can match the England team in the quality and depth of the lower order.

Very true. Butler doesn't even get in the team atm. Do they have plenty of low order depth.will be needed in India.

Root outside England hasnt done much. Ashwin on Indian tracks will be too good for him. I expect Jadeja to have Roots number in this series. LBWs galore.

Eng have very good players apart from cook and Root...

Bairstow is elevating himself to the elite batsmen level..

Stokes is the best batting AR in the world...

Moen and woakes are useful bowling AR too..

The problem is obviously their spin department and this is where India are favourites.

However, its fair to say that England aren't entirely dependent on Root like NZ are on Williamson.

I still think Root is batting out of position. He averages around 70 at #4.

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION], thoughts?

If the pitch even turns so slightly, this wouldn't be a battle. You can't go to shell against a master craftsman in their recognized environment. I am afraid the test wouldn't last 5th day unless Pujara tries to get to 400.

A Mike Tyson knockout. Under one minute type of mismatch.

The way people are favouring Ash...this thread will be a blockbuster if Root owns Ashwin. :))

My money is on Ashwin.

But Root ain't no joke.

And England won't get full on rank turners for entire series. So he will have lots of chances to score runs.

Root's opportunity to score will come when India are 3:0 up in the series and the coach and captain decide that it's time for the Indian batters to get some boosts to their averages.

The way people are favouring Ash...this thread will be a blockbuster if Root owns Ashwin. :))

My money is on Ashwin.

But Root ain't no joke.

And England won't get full on rank turners for entire series. So he will have lots of chances to score runs.

why won't they get full rank turners? why would india produce a wicket that would give england a sniff? :shkhan

why won't they get full rank turners? why would india produce a wicket that would give england a sniff? :shkhan

Cos India has had bigger margins of victory with normal/good spin tracks due to gap in Indian and foreign spinners.

Rank turners reduce the gap between spinners and brings the English batting depth into the game. So it depends.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the theory that Indians give easier pitches once the series is sealed was disproven (talking about trends).

Only happ in SA series but the 2nd game was a good pitch too.

Dunno how pitches in this series will pan out.

Butler can take the gloves.

Yes because England top order is soo poor that's why there low order is so important. Not many other teams relay on there low order as much as England do.

Buttler is not a Test level WK, especially not in rank turners.

Of course Ashwin will win. The series will be played on pitches that will be highly conducive to spin bowling, if not outright rank-turners.

and yet Rashid won't repeat his "that" UAE perfomance here.

My money is on Ashwin.

But Root ain't no joke.

Root v Jaddu and Cook v Ash will be better contests

But it makes Bairstow bat lower

Same thing with SA and De Kock

Bairstow would have been batting at 7 even if Ballance was playing. With England's batting after Bairstow it has slightly less of an effect than it does on De Kock

Bairstow would have been batting at 7 even if Ballance was playing. With England's batting after Bairstow it has slightly less of an effect than it does on De Kock

I mean if Buttler or someone else can take the gloves,it can allow Bairstow to bat higher and have more impact

Didn't understand his around the wicket strategy. Why not change it when things were not working.

Its like his and Kohli's brains stopped working today.

1-0 to Root.

An excellent innings from a player who just seems to be getting better and better.

The wicket played well and Root and Ali were excellent. Ashwin is a great bowler and his turn will come.

He averages better in UAE. All spinners find it easier in UAE than in India. Any idea why is it so?

Need to watch the games in order to know that this is not the case. Elgar has one wicket in the UAE and a lucky one at that. In India, he ripped through India and evoked memories of Murali. I really have no interest in debating with anyone who thinks that UAE pitches are easier for spinners than Indian pitches, just like I have no interest debating with anyone who says that English pitches are easier for batsmen than Australian pitches.

Its first day pitch, easier to bat on. Lets see what he can do on 2nd-3rd day pitch with scoreboard pressure too
Even Ponting had scored century on first day pitch in India

Looked class today. Hit some wonderful drives, used his crease well, looked to disturb the bowler's length and busted out some good sweeps too.

Important he made a big ton today as he's given his wicket away after making good starts needlessly at times this year. Only his third century outside the UK but he keeps batting like that and there'll be more to come.

Looked class today. Hit some wonderful drives, used his crease well, looked to disturb the bowler's length and busted out some good sweeps too.

Important he made a big ton today as he's given his wicket away after making good starts needlessly at times this year. Only his third century outside the UK but he keeps batting like that and there'll be more to come.

Providing the conditions are not overly against him

Round 2 goes to Ashwin.

Joe Root scored 9 runs against him. Was troubled by him quite a bit before holing out.

Jaddu could have had Root today too.

Score 1-1

Root still has this fifty problem. He looks brilliant then gets out through overconfidence.

Root still has this fifty problem. He looks brilliant then gets out through overconfidence.

True but this innings' shot was not due to over-confidence.

He looked solid by and large (90%) while was plain lucky the other 10%.

The shot was due to lack of confidence to negotiate that tough period. What happened in the preceding balls tells a bigger story.

He will bounce back. Quality bat.

But if he keeps camping on backfoot for everthing (that too against Jaddu), he will get eaten alive on a proper turner (which he hasn't faced in Indian tour till now).

Back