Karachi Kings (157/3) defeat Peshawar Zalmi (154/10) by 7 wickets to register their first win in PSL 9

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs

In today’s game, the 6th match of the PSL season 9, the 2017 champions, Peshawar Zalmi, led by Babar Azam, will face off against Karachi Kings at Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore.

Both teams are seeking redemption after their initial defeats and aiming to secure a victory.

Notably, Gaddafi Stadium has seen high scores in the first innings of the previous three matches—195, 206, and 187—indicating that it favors batsmen.​

1708491753037.png

Squads:

Peshawar Zalmi
Squad: Saim Ayub, Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Haris(w), Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Rovman Powell, Dan Mousley, Asif Ali, Aamer Jamal, Luke Wood, Mohammad Zeeshan, Salman Irshad, Paul Walter, Arshad Iqbal, Khurram Shahzad, Mehran Mumtaz, Haseebullah Khan, Aimal Khan, Shamar Joseph, Arif Yaqoob, Umair Afridi

Karachi Kings Squad: Shan Masood(c), James Vince, Saad Baig(w), Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Nawaz, Kieron Pollard, Daniel Sams, Hasan Ali, Mir Hamza, Tabraiz Shamsi, Mohammad Aamir Khan, Jamie Overton, Anwar Ali, Leus du Plooy, Irfan Khan Niazi, Zahid Mahmood, Muhammad Akhlaq, Sirajuddin, Arafat Minhas

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

HBL PSL 9 toss update: Peshawar Zalmi v Karachi Kings at Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore

Karachi Kings have won the toss and are fielding first

1708505989454.png

1708504454573.png1708504467491.png

Last edited:
Saim is nothing special i said it before we like to hype players as we are desperate for batters which is a fact. Haris is even worse and these guys have played internationals you would think they would learn

Saim is nothing special i said it before we like to hype players as we are desperate for batters which is a fact. Haris is even worse and these guys have played internationals you would think they would learn

It's tough to determine much from T20 performances.

Saim just scored 42 off 26 in the previous game and has had a good year in the longer formats too. Just a developing prospect who will continue to work on his game.

Haris has been a bit up and down but he hit a few 50s in the recent National T20 Cup.

Dumbest Jazz question:

O9a8nGn.png

Shan is much superior captain than Babar , shaheen and shadab

Overheard on comms, best umpires with regards to decisions being overturned:

Michael Goff 35 reviews, 4 over tunred
Aleem Dar 37 reviews, 5 overturned
Richard Illingworth, 23 reviews, 2 overturned

Good thinking again from Shan, keeping a slip in, in the 13th over to the new batter Asif Ali. I like the aggression.

KdH6CuJ.png

Let's see what Babar can do in the death overs...

Saim and Haris need to act like men now. They are not playing kids anymore. And they wint get nod just because of their age. Farhan Saud Agha everyone can grab their place

This will be an embarrassing loss for Peshawar if that happens

Come on then Bobsy, proper test of your captaincy here on a track for spinners

Could have tried Saim Ayub first over to Shan to build pressure

Oh well

This is literally like Pakistan v Afghanistan or Zimbabwe in the Dosti Yaari era

Surely Peshawar can’t lose to this Karachi side

“Shan Masood was the key wicket, he can play in different gears”

-Sana Mir

Why is Babar not on the field?

Those fine dining evenings taking a toll on his body now?

Sana Mir as usual chatting nonsense

So what if Akhlaq got out trying to utilise every ball of the powerplay? This woman is Misbah Ul Haq basically

As expected PP favorite akhlaq can't even last a couple of deliveries against a decent bowler.

Waqar Salamkheil, offically he is 22 and has a bald patch clearer than the full-moon.
age fuging at its finest.

There you go @CerebralPatriot

The priorities are all over the place like Muhammad Zeeshan’s bowling
Zeeshan was our worst bowler in u19 and was struggling against kids. As I said as soon as a decent bowler came on he perished.

I have seen enough of Mohammad akhlaq to know he will be garbage in international. Just look at his domestic record which is bang average at best. His keeping is awful too. I know you get excited by any keeper in hope that they will replace rizwan. Mohammad akhlaq is not the answer. who is levels below haseebullah let alone rizwan.

This is literally like Pakistan v Afghanistan or Zimbabwe in the Dosti Yaari era

Surely Peshawar can’t lose to this Karachi side
So your favourites can't even score runs against Zimbabwe? What hope do they have against proper teams?

What is Zeeshan doing?

Why is Babar persisting with him whenever the game slightly comes into their favour?

Is a joke that the least talented bowler from our u19 got picked and the most talented in Ali Raza didn't.

What an embarrassing performance by PZ

Embarrassing!!

This is what happens when you have a selfish captain who doesn’t know how to utilise his resources because he wants to open the batting!!!

This is what happens when you have a selfish captain who doesn’t know how to utilise his resources because he wants to open the batting!!!
Not sure you can blame his opening here. Haris and Saim are pretty average atleast he is always consistenet

Hahah. Saim for our 1st ball and haris came in for the second ball. I like both of them for the record but no word from you regarding them?

Not sure you can blame his opening here. Haris and Saim are pretty average atleast he is always consistenet
Ab consistency per achaar daal ke khaa lo

Embarrassing loss! This is the worst ever side assembled in Franchise cricket history

Karachi Kings clinch well strategized 7 wicket victory over Peshawar Zalmi

WQmXdgq.jpg

Last edited:
No worries Javed Afridi, go back and have a lavish party with your celebrity eye candies….cricket is secondary!

Embarrassing loss!

Things are not going in favor of Peshawar Zalmi, with two straight losses in two games.

INr87OC.jpg

Karachi Kings clinch well strategized 7 wicket victory over Peshawar Zalmi

WQmXdgq.jpg
Kieron Pollard's bat produces fireworks to help Karachi Kings overcome Peshawar Zalmi

Karachi Kings locked their first win of HBL PSL 9 after they defeated Peshawar Zalmi by seven wickets at Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore on Wednesday afternoon. Fast bowling duo of Hasan Ali and Mir Hamza accounted for three wickets each as Zalmi were restricted to 154 in the first innings. In return, an unbeaten knock by Kieron Pollard helped Kings complete the target with considerable ease.

The second match of the day is set to be played between Multan Sultans and Lahore Qalandars at Multan Cricket Stadium. The first ball is expected to be bowled at 7pm.

At Gaddafi Stadium, after they opted to bowl first, Shoaib Malik provided an ideal start for the Kings, bagging a wicket at the expense of just three runs in the first over as opening batter Saim Ayub copped a golden duck on the first ball of the day.

In the second over, Babar Azam became the fastest and the youngest batter to complete 10,000 T20 runs; taking only 271 innings to do so. The right-handed batter reached the feat after hitting a four and then running two while facing left-arm pacer Mir Hamza.

Mohammad Nawaz conceded 16 in the third over courtesy of three boundaries as Zalmi looked to charge after the early setback. On the first ball of the next over, Mohammad Haris (6, 7b, 1x4) miscued a shot which landed straight in Pollard’s hand at long-off, bringing Zalmi down to 26-2 in 3.1 overs.

Trouble deepened for Peshawar Zalmi in the last over of the powerplay as Hasan Ali struck on the first ball to take out Tom Kohler-Cadmore for just two off three. On the first delivery of the 12th over, Babar smashed a magnificent six over long-on to bring up his second consecutive fifty.

In the next over, Nawaz broke the 68-run stand between Babar and Rovman Powell as the latter awarded an easy catch to Hamza. Powell walked back for a 39 on 25, including three boundaries and two maximums.

Asif Ali added a brisk 23 on 16 with a six and a four before falling to Daniel Sams. Shortly after, Aamir Jamal could only score a run before he was caught at cover by Shan off Hamza.

In the same over, Hamza got his third of the day as he claimed the prized scalp of Babar, who walked back for 72 off 51, including seven boundaries and one maximum. Then, Hasan picked up the last two wickets in the final over to dismiss Zalmi for just 154.

Hamza, who bagged three wickets at the expense of just 28 runs in his four over, was adjudged player of the match. He was supported by Hasan, who picked up three wickets as well. Sams had two while Shoaib and Nawaz also removed a batter each.

Shan and Muhammad Akhlaq, opening for Karachi Kings, amassed 20 in the first two overs to mount pressure on the opposition. Luke Wood countered their attack squarely as he dismissed Shan on the second ball of the third over.

In his subsequent over, Wood had Akhlaq caught behind for a quickfire 24 off 13 balls, on the back of three fours and two sixes.

James Vince and Shoaib built a gritty 51-run stand to bring stability to the innings. The partnership was eventually cut short by Waqar Salamkheil, who sent Shoaib walking back for run-a-ball 29, including a four and a six.

Pollard, the next batter in, announced himself on the crease with a stunning maximum over long-on. In the 15th over, he took Waqar for 27 overs on the back of three maximums and two boundaries to completely clinch the game for his team.

From the other end, Vince chipped in with crucial runs, finishing at an unbeaten 38 from 30, including three fours and one maximum.

A boundary each by Vince and Pollard in the 17th over saw Karachi Kings complete the target with seven wickets in the bag and 19 deliveries remaining.

Wood accounted for two wickets while Waqar bagged one wicket.

Pollard, with his unbeaten knock of 49 from 21 which included four boundaries and as many maximums, finished as the top-scorer for Kings.

Scores in brief:

Karachi Kings beat Peshawar Zalmi by seven wickets

Peshawar Zalmi 154 all out, 19.5 overs (Babar Azam 72, Rovman Powell 39; Mir Hamza 3-28, Hasan Ali 3-30, Daniel Sams 2-28)

Karachi Kings 157-3, 16.5 overs (Kieron Pollard 49 not out, James Vince 38 not out;

Player of the match – Mir Hamza (Karachi Kings)

Hasan Ali's post match conference after KK's win against PZ:

“Look, we always plan after accessing the conditions. So, as per the conditions, the change of pace was very essential and we were aware as a bowling unit that they possess such batters, who can hit big,”

“If you talk about Shoaib bhai, I think he gave us the momentum by taking a wicket on the first delivery. So, in T20, the early momentum gives confidence to the bowling unit and the team approach the game more dominantly,”

“My recent performances [for Pakistan] were not that good. I played well in the World Cup but in the recent Test series, could not pick many wickets."

“However, as far as PSL is concerned, I always consider it as an opportunity to prove myself. I am very satisfied with my [current] performance, there are still eight matches left and then playoffs. So, I’m confident that such performances will keep on coming.”

“I am very happy to become a part of Karachi Kings. I still miss Roti Group, one of its members hit me for a six today. Shan is a brilliant player. He just got the captaincy of Pakistan and he’s getting better day by day and he’s a good man.”

Source: Karachi Kings Official

Back