Multan Sultans (147/3) secure a resounding victory over Peshawar Zalmi (146/7) by 7 wickets to propel themselves into the finals of PSL 9

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Final standing after the last game of the group stage of PSL season 9:

cgH0AyU.png

The Multan Sultans, who are leading the table, will play against the second-ranked Peshawar Zalmi in the first playoff match of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) 2024. This qualifier match will take place at the National Stadium in Karachi today, on Thursday (March 14).

The Sultans, led by Mohammad Rizwan, are coming into this match after a big 79-run win over the Quetta Gladiators. On the other side, Peshawar Zalmi, led by Babar Azam, just had a close 2-run victory against the Karachi Kings.

This will be the 16th time these two teams meet in the HBL PSL, and the fourth time they play in Karachi. So far, in Karachi, the Sultans have won 2 out of 3 matches against Zalmi in the Pakistan Super League.

oldrfgf.png

Squads:

Peshawar Zalmi
Squad: Saim Ayub, Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Haris(w), Haseebullah Khan, Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Rovman Powell, Aamer Jamal, Luke Wood, Naveen-ul-Haq, Mehran Mumtaz, Aimal Khan, Asif Ali, Paul Walter, Arshad Iqbal, Salman Irshad, Waqar Salamkheil, Dan Mousley, Khurram Shahzad, Mohammad Zeeshan, Shamar Joseph, Arif Yaqoob, Umair Afridi

Multan Sultans Squad: Yasir Khan, Mohammad Rizwan(w/c), Usman Khan, Johnson Charles, Iftikhar Ahmed, Chris Jordan, Tayyab Tahir, David Willey, Usama Mir, Abbas Afridi, Mohammad Ali, Mohammad Shahzad, Dawid Malan, Richard Ngarava, Khushdil Shah, Shahnawaz Dahani, Faisal Akram, Ali Majid, Aftab Ibrahim

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Both teams punched above their weight and rightfully deserve to play the Qualifier. Zalmi has beaten the Sultans twice although batting first.

Zalmi immensely depend on Babar clicking.

Let's see what plans the future captain and the former captain have for each other. I predict pace in the PP against Multan and spin in the PP against Zalmi. Maybe Saim might get an over early on but I highly doubt it

Peshawar will be high on confidence as they have beaten Multan twice now but every day is a new day and Multan is in some form after thrashing Questta in the last group stage game.

My pick will be Multan for today's game though.

Peshawar will be high on confidence as they have beaten Multan twice now but every day is a new day and Multan is in some form after thrashing Questta in the last group stage game.

My pick will be Multan for today's game though.
I'll choose peshawar because I don't think thrashing quetta is a big deal, their the weakest team to qualify. The batting is pretty much non existent, Peshawar is a different beast.

I'll choose peshawar because I don't think thrashing quetta is a big deal, their the weakest team to qualify. The batting is pretty much non existent, Peshawar is a different beast.
Lets see what happens but I think Multan will win this one.

Bookies are betting on Multan, they seem to be favourites

Peshawar Zalmi won’t have Afghanistan’s fast bowler Naveen-ul-Haq for the playoffs. Naveen has left Zalmi to play for the Afghanistan cricket team in their upcoming T20I series against Ireland.

Peshawar will miss him surely, he has been doing a great job for them.

What should the team be doing after winning the toss?

Big game pressure so bat first and put runs on the board??

Peshawar Zalmi won’t have Afghanistan’s fast bowler Naveen-ul-Haq for the playoffs. Naveen has left Zalmi to play for the Afghanistan cricket team in their upcoming T20I series against Ireland.

Peshawar will miss him surely, he has been doing a great job for them.

We might see Saim bowling to Riz afterall

Man I hate that the games take place late cause of Ramadan, for me it means watching them at 3am now, and sadly I can't cause I have class at 9am, and I can't pull an allnighter.

Chalo I'll watch highlights but I still have PZ winning

Man I hate that the games take place late cause of Ramadan, for me it means watching them at 3am now, and sadly I can't cause I have class at 9am, and I can't pull an allnighter.

Chalo I'll watch highlights but I still have PZ winning
They are on at 3AM here in Australia as well. Which is actually perfect for me because they are on at Sehri time.

Poor management from PCB and PSL administration. PSL 9 should have ended before Ramadan.

Poor management from PCB and PSL administration. PSL 9 should have ended before Ramadan.
I agree.

One of the things that makes PSL unique apart from the nail biting thrillers is the shortness of the tournament. One month is a bit overkill for PSL and it should aim for a 25 day mark in my opinion.

Tension rises as the PSL 2024 Qualifier kicks off! Which team will clinch victory and secure their place in the final showdown?

Toss Update:

Peshawar Zalmi has won the toss and have elected to bat first

Peshawar Zalmi will be without the services of Naveen-ul-Haq tonight as he left the tournament to partake in the T20I series against Ireland.

Peshawar Zalmi (Playing XI):

Saim Ayub, Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Haris(w), Haseebullah Khan, Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Rovman Powell, Paul Walter, Aamer Jamal, Luke Wood, Mehran Mumtaz, Salman Irshad

Multan Sultans (Playing XI):

Yasir Khan, Mohammad Rizwan(w/c), Usman Khan, Johnson Charles, Iftikhar Ahmed, Khushdil Shah, Chris Jordan, David Willey, Usama Mir, Abbas Afridi, Mohammad Ali

Off-side boundary is 63 meters and there's a 10-meter longer boundary at square leg, 78 meters long on and 74 meters at long-off. Waqar Younis says that halfway down the track, it's rock hard and reckons it's going to come nicely onto the bat. He adds that spinners might get purchase if they are ready to give it more flight.

Off-side boundary is 63 meters and there's a 10-meter longer boundary at square leg, 78 meters long on and 74 meters at long-off. Waqar Younis says that halfway down the track, it's rock hard and reckons it's going to come nicely onto the bat. He adds that spinners might get purchase if they are ready to give it more flight.
is 180 par biradar ?

Peshawar Zalmi (Playing XI):

Saim Ayub, Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Haris(w), Haseebullah Khan, Tom Kohler-Cadmore, Rovman Powell, Paul Walter, Aamer Jamal, Luke Wood, Mehran Mumtaz, Salman Irshad

Multan Sultans (Playing XI):

Yasir Khan, Mohammad Rizwan(w/c), Usman Khan, Johnson Charles, Iftikhar Ahmed, Khushdil Shah, Chris Jordan, David Willey, Usama Mir, Abbas Afridi, Mohammad Ali
Khushdil Shah comes in for Tayyab Tahir.

This is a real test for Babar's captaincy, had already beaten Rizwan's side twice but my gut feelings say he will fail badly tonight.

Are they seriously playing the playoff in front of an empty Karachi Stadium?

Is this some sort of joke?

Babar has opted to bat , will @Rana 's fave Rizzu staring at defeat already ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again disappointing crowd in stadium.. Karachi doesn't deserve to host these playoffs or final. It's not about Karachi and its people's troubles.. its about PSL which is a brand and these lowball crowds are hurting the brand after sell outs in Lahore , Pindi and Multan. Pcb should protect the brand with right venues and marketing

Well,

There goes Saim Ayub’s spot in the world cup

Once again disappointing crowd in stadium.. Karachi doesn't deserve to host these playoffs or final. It's not about Karachi and its people's troubles.. its about PSL which is a brand and these lowball crowds are hurting the brand after sell outs in Lahore , Pindi and Multan. Pcb should protect the brand with right venues and marketing

The PCB has seen for a week that people in Khi were not turning up, they didn't even come on the weekend. Why did the PCB or PSL officials not shift the games to Lahore, Pindi, Multan? PCB officials need to be grilled ruthlessly for embarrassing us globally.

What a drameybaaz

Every time this guy comes to confer with his team mates, you know he is going for the review

The PCB has seen for a week that people in Khi were not turning up, they didn't even come on the weekend. Why did the PCB or PSL officials not shift the games to Lahore, Pindi, Multan? PCB officials need to be grilled ruthlessly for embarrassing us globally.
Valid point. But i do not think Karachi should have been awarded all the play offs and Final too in first place. There has been historical evidence of crowd not turning up to these games. Even international matches went with empty stands and those were t20s.. seems like pcb has some clowns in their marketing and planning department . I do not know why they feel so obligated to give karachi this big of a leg in tournament like psl.. its nuts

Saim failing…

Me to Babar and Rizwan opening fans:

6B4B3F12-D0A2-4C52-A11C-4E362DC23ADB.gif

Rizwan doing the same thing on review burnouts as shaheen does.

Beautiful review.

Literally an embarrassing thing to be even playing qualifiers in near empty grounds.

Karachi from next year should probably get max 5 games in the entire PSL and that too from the start not the middle or end games.

Rest should be given to Pindi and Multan and a few to Lahore if Peshawar isn't ready for next year.

Pindi deserves more games as the weather is even cooler and plus being close to Islamabad which has the best hotel in Serena where the players are kept during their stay.

Harris shows intent

Now watch Babar play Test cricket

Be truthful

You are very happy within. It’s ensuring he gets dropped before the T20 World Cup or is demoted to number 4 like Fakhar

I am honestly not. I want Saim to succeed. Whether he's opening or not is a different topic but we need more batters

is there space for Mohammed Ali in the World Cup , he’s got accuracy some pace and a bit of bounce too

Muhammad haris looking good tonight will be his night?? Can he score big here for zalmi

Mind blowing stroke through mid wicket from babar. Probably the only player in Pak who can play that shot.
Balance n timing as good as Sachin

Perfect excuse now for Babar to score an ODI style 50 here as a T20 opener
Biggest Ayub tuller gone again but no he is better than best talent of pakistan babar lol pakistan fans logic

Last edited by a moderator:
143.8 clicks from Mohammad Ali. He's been consistently through 140 clicks throughout the PSL.

I hope he uses this tournament to improve his fitness with the understanding he can compete at a high level. Might be able to maintain around this pace in Tests then.

Back