22: Wolves (h)

25: Leeds (a)

29: Everton (h)

May

6: Fulham (a)

13: Liverpool (h)

20: Newcastle (a)

28: West Ham (h)

Wesley Fofana is keen to join Chelsea from Leicester City this summer.

Leicester City captain Kasper Schmeichel has left the club after 11 years and joined Ligue 1 side Nice.

The goalkeeper, 35, made 479 appearances for the Foxes after signing from Leeds, winning the Premier League, FA Cup and Community Shield.

Schmeichel was also part of the side that won the Championship in 2013-14.

He follows Aaron Ramsey to Nice after the Welshman, 31, also joined the French club following the termination of his contract at Juventus.

Schmeichel, capped 84 times by Denmark, had been given permission to leave Leicester.

Leicester chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said: "Throughout his time with us and particularly as a captain and vice-captain, Kasper has always been a player willing to stand up and take responsibility, leading the team with distinction.

"His influence and his leadership on and off the pitch speak volumes about him as a professional, as a football player and as a human being.

"I know Leicester City supporters share the respect we all have for a player of Kasper's standing after all his accomplishments as a footballer and captain and will join me in wishing him the very best for the next stage of his career in France."

Leicester are the only club in Europe's top five leagues not to have signed a player this summer - and manager Brendan Rodgers admitted they had to manage their finances carefully.

BBC

Leicester are the only club in Europe's top five leagues not to have signed a player this summer - and manager Brendan Rodgers admitted they had to manage their finances carefully.

What is going on here?

Feels like something is rotten.

Leicester defender Ricardo Pereira ruled out for SIX months with ruptured Achilles.

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers insists James Maddison and Wesley Fofana are not for sale.

The Foxes rejected a £40million bid from Newcastle for Maddison, while Chelsea are thought to be weighing up a big-money offer for £80m-rated Fofana.

Leicester are the only Premier League club yet to make any signings this summer and cannot afford to lose their star players.

Asked whether Maddison and Fofana could leave, Rodgers said: “I hope not. These players are not for sale.

“We need to move players out but it’s not getting rid of everyone and certainly not our best assets. It’s something the club are very strong on.

“James and Wesley are training very well and working hard for our game on Sunday.”

When pressed on whether they could be sold at the right price, Rodgers added: “That’s down to the club. For me, I concentrate on football.”

Nevetheless, the Foxes manager admitted he was hoping to improve his squad this summer and rued the ‘unfortunate’ situation at the King Power.

When asked about the possibility of any signings, Rodgers said: “As things stand, I believe not. I mentioned that before, there’s nobody imminent coming in.

“The concentration has purely been on the players who are here. I think we can do well.

“Any manager will want new players in their squad. I felt this was a time we would need to improve. I respect the club’s position.

“The club have been outstanding in supporting me. This time, I need to support them. It’s unfortunate.

“I don’t need to fight with anyone. I would have loved to improve the squad. There is time until the end of August if things change.”

TalkSport

I'd be very worried if I was a Leicester City fan.

Seems they are in a lot of trouble.

Rodgers is a great manager but even he must be thinking what is going on at the club.

Rodgers admitted today that there will be no signings this summer, more players will leave for financial reasons, and also that he doesn’t want to sell any absolutely key players but it’s up to the club to decide. Crikey.

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers has described Northern Ireland defender Jonny Evans as the "natural successor" to departed captain Kasper Schmeichel.

Schmeichel ended his 11-year stay with the Foxes earlier this week by joining Ligue 1 side Nice and Rodgers has appointed Evans as his new skipper.

Evans will wear the armband as the Foxes launch their Premier League campaign against Brentford on Sunday.

The 34-year-old joined Leicester from West Bromwich Albion in 2018.

Rodgers told a press conference: "Jonny represents the collective standards and values of these players and what they stand for. He's a player of huge experience.

"He has huge respect in the changing room for what he's achieved and how he behaves on a day to day basis. He's the natural guy to step forward now Kasper has left."

Former Manchester United centre-half Evans has made more than 100 league appearances for the Foxes since arriving for £3.5m.

Rodgers paid tribute to Schmeichel, who joined Leicester from Leeds in 2011, describing the Denmark international as "a true icon of the club".

Schmeichel won the Championship title with the Foxes in 2014, the Premier League title in 2016 and both the FA Cup and Community Shield last year.

Rodgers said: "He's a true icon of the club. He has been very important to the club. On the pitch, a colossal player for the club, [he's] been a part of all the great successes over the past decade.

"He's a real good guy off the field and I don't say that lightly. His passion, his determination. Living with the name Schmeichel was going to be tough, but he made a name for himself.

"His service was immense. I'll miss him, the players will miss him. It's a new adventure for him in the south of France and he'll really enjoy that."

BBC

Leicester have opened negotiations with England international James Maddison over a new contract

Substitute Che Adams scored twice as Southampton came from behind to beat Leicester and get their first Premier League win in nine games.

In-form James Maddison's fantastic free-kick, curled around the wall and into the bottom corner from 25 yards, gave Leicester the lead.

The Saints had barely had a chance before that but the introduction of Adams for Sedou Mara after 59 minutes changed the game.

First he slotted in from seven yards out from Armel Bella-Kotchap's ball after Leicester failed to clear a long throw-in.

He waited six months for that goal, having last scored for the Saints in February, but he only had to wait 16 minutes for his next goal.

James Ward-Prowse lofted a cross into the box and Adams, who was born in Leicester, met it with an acrobatic volley which flew past Danny Ward.

Southampton's victory - their first since April - was achieved after fielding the youngest Premier League starting line-up named by any club since May 2017, with an average age of 23 years and 238 days.

Leicester striker Jamie Vardy announced a new contract hours before kick-off but he had a quiet game, touching the ball just 11 times.

The Foxes missed defender Wesley Fofana, who watched from the stands with Brendan Rodgers suggesting he was not in the right frame of mind amid links to Chelsea.

<b>Wesley Fofana was not "in the right frame of mind" to play for Leicester City in the 2-1 defeat by Southampton, says boss Brendan Rodgers.</b>

The 21-year-old French defender, who signed a new deal with the club until 2027 in March, is believed to want to join Chelsea.

He watched from the stands as his side lost their second game in a row.

"He's just a young player who is not quite in the right frame of mind at the moment to play," said Rodgers.

"There's a lot going on behind the scenes, which I understand. It's a difficult moment for him. He's a good kid. He's been great for us while he's been here."

Fofana joined Leicester from Saint-Etienne in 2020 and has played 52 games for the club - although he missed most of last season with a broken leg.

Belgium midfielder Youri Tielemans, who has also been linked with a move, started on the bench for the Foxes but the 25-year-old was introduced in the second half.

"With Youri and Wesley, there's no problem but if your mind isn't quite on playing, this is a level where you have to be totally concentrated and focused - and if you're not, unfortunately you can't play," Rodgers told BBC Sport.

He added: "There have been a few offers in for some players - nowhere near the valuation the club would want to sell.

"None of them are for sale but I know how the game works. There are a few weeks to go, I don't know what's going to happen."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62619632

We're in big trouble this season. Rogers seems to have lost interest after he couldn't buy players..

Leicester seem to be short of cash.

They are in selling rather than buying mode.

Feels like Fofana is definitely on the way out, Tielemans possibly could be, and interest in Maddison has cooler but there is still a slight chance he might be off as well.

Add in the management change possibly coming up and it’s looking like a tough season at Leicester.

Brendan Rodgers insists he is not feeling the pressure despite Leicester's poor start to the season.

The Foxes are second bottom of the Premier League table after failing to win any of their first three games, losing two of them.

Leicester head to Thomas Tuchel's Chelsea on Saturday and boss Rodgers says his only focus is on the game.

"I'm feeling the want to get the result. I'm not feeling the pressure, it's a pressurised job," he said.

Rodgers has been in charge since 2019 and guided them to a fifth-place finish in his first full season at the club, and then eighth last term.

He added: "I look back over my time here, over three-and-a-half years, and we've spent on net about £25m per season and that's got us to where we've got to in terms of challenging at the top end of the table, winning a couple of trophies and getting to a European semi-final.

"What I hope as a manager is to continue with that ambition. If I'm unable to do that and the club decide it needs to go in a different direction, that's the way it is. That's football and that's management. I don't lose sleep over it."

Leicester have made just one signing this summer - former Huddersfield and Cardiff goalkeeper Alex Smithies on a free transfer, while they have rejected three bids for defender Wesley Fofana from Chelsea.

Rodgers said: "I think what's definitely happened is that the expectation is not aligned with our finances in terms of where we should be competing.

"It doesn't make us any less ambitious. For me, it's a continuation of that, we're always fighting. I'm experienced now to know that if you don't get the results, you can come under pressure.

"That's normal. I will continue to push and fight to get the best results we can."

BBC

Leicester City are in talks to sign Belgium defender Wout Faes from French club Reims as they look to replace Chelsea-bound Wesley Fofana.

Fofana is expected to join the Blues before the summer transfer window closes at 23:00 BST on 1 September.

Faes, 24, is rated at around £15m and has been with Reims since 2020, having come through the ranks at Anderlecht.

He made his Belgium debut as a substitute in a Nations League game against Poland in June.

Faes has made three appearances for Reims this season and played 37 league games for them last season - scoring four goals - as they finished 12th in Ligue 1.

Leicester City have confirmed the signing of defender Wout Faes from Ligue 1 side Reims on a five-year-deal.

Another loss.

1 point in 5 games and bottom of the table.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&#55357;&#56803;️ "A cheap shot."<br><br>Brendan Rodgers says he knows the Instagram post written by Wesley Fofana was not written by the player himself &#55357;&#56384;<a href="https://t.co/is5AOy0LYx">pic.twitter.com/is5AOy0LYx</a></p>— Sky Sports (@SkySports) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySports/status/1565757698062184448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 2, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Brighton away today.

Another important match for Leicester.

I wonder how long Rodgers will stay at Leicester if the current run continues.

Brighton away today.

Another important match for Leicester.

I wonder how long Rodgers will stay at Leicester if the current run continues.

And another defeat.

But I will not put all tehe blame on Rodgers. What on earth are the owners doing? I keep hearing about Leicester selling players for big money to other clubs, so why on earth are they not investing in quality players themselves?

And another defeat.

But I will not put all tehe blame on Rodgers. What on earth are the owners doing? I keep hearing about Leicester selling players for big money to other clubs, so why on earth are they not investing in quality players themselves?

We are in big trouble..I have no idea what the owners are doing..Rogers has clearly checked out..and the players know it..

We are in big trouble..I have no idea what the owners are doing..Rogers has clearly checked out..and the players know it..

Well at the moment it seems like you guys will fight for those important 40 points. Haven't seen such toothless performances from Leicester in recent times.

Owners have made huge losses with King Power during pandemic being Duty Free. They're simply cashing in on assets and want a quick sale. Probably don't have the money to sack Rodgers so it's a game of chicken for teh Foxes

Most goals conceded after 7 games in PL history:

Brendan Rodgers’ Leicester City

1 point in 7 games, 6 losses in a row — this could be the end of Rodgers.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brendan Rodgers on his future: “I'll respect whatever the decision is. I think if you saw the first half you'll see the confidence and attacking play”. ⚠️🔵 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LCFC?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LCFC</a> <a href="https://t.co/soVYdWhPsX">pic.twitter.com/soVYdWhPsX</a></p>— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) <a href="https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1571223415217950721?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 17, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

On an afternoon notable for the minute’s silence before kick-off, the story of Leicester’s 6-2 capitulation at the hands of Tottenham was told by the noise across the subsequent 90 minutes.

There was the point where Leicester fans chanted “How **** must you be, we’re winning away” after their early opener, Youri Tielemans’ retaken penalty.

There was the point when Leicester’s defence headed away a Tottenham corner, and those same supporters ironically cheered their side finally managing to defend a set-piece properly.

And, finally, there were the taunts late on from the Tottenham supporters towards Brendan Rodgers, telling him he would be sacked in the morning.

That must now be a realistic consideration — if not in the morning, then at some point in the next fortnight. This international break comes at a handy time if Leicester’s board are looking for a change. Rodgers, who was dismissed from his Liverpool job in 2015 at the start of an international break, will know the situation. “It’s probably come at a good time to reset everything,” he said, slightly ominously.

6-2 was harsh on Leicester, because the scale of the defeat was exaggerated by a couple of remarkable Son Heung-min goals, before he completed his hattrick in the closing stages. And yet 6-2 also felt on the cards from an early stage, despite Leicester going ahead, and despite Leicester going in 2-2 at the break.

Their first two concessions came from set-pieces, an area Leicester struggled at throughout last season. They nearly conceded a third from a set-piece, when Wilfried Ndidi turned into his own net, although after a long deliberation, the referee adjudged that Danny Ward had been fouled.

Ndidi, one of the Premier League’s outstanding defensive midfielders a couple of years ago, looked wretched here — asked to cover too much space in a side lacking compactness, certainly, but that doesn’t explain how easily he was caught in possession by Rodrigo Bentancur for the third goal. In fairness, it arguably wasn’t as embarrassing as Boubakary Soumare being completely outpaced by Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg for Son’s hattrick goal.

Rodgers’ problem isn’t simply that Leicester are bad — although they are — but that they’re bad at all the collective things. Their defensive shape is consistently terrible. They can’t defend set-pieces. There’s no obvious pattern in attack.

Their promising moments come from individual brilliance. James Maddison scored a superb goal here, just as he scored a superb goal against Southampton, and his crossing towards Patson Daka was also very dangerous. But Maddison feels like an outstanding No 10 in a bad side, a Georgi Kinkladze or a Juninho.

Leicester have scored eight times in seven games this season, but as well as two Maddison individual efforts, there’s been a Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall long-ranger against Brentford, a comedy own goal thanks to Arsenal, and the re-taken penalty here. In other words, Leicester aren’t really creating chances. Their xG figure in an attacking sense is the second-worst in the league, behind Bournemouth. Their xGA figure isn’t as bad as their simple goals against figure, although that’s partly as Ward has looked somewhat hapless at times, and has conceded goals he shouldn’t have, which can’t be taken as much of a positive.

A common feature has been Rodgers’ inability to use his bench effectively this season. They looked home and dry on the opening day against Brentford, 2-0 up. Then Thomas Frank changed shape and changed the game, Rodgers couldn’t respond, and it finished 2-2. That set the tone. No manager has made fewer substitutions per game than Rodgers this season, and it felt fitting that, at Tottenham, Antonio Conte brought on Yves Bissouma and switched from 3-4-3 to 3-5-2, and Bissouma immediately instigated the move for Spurs’ fourth goal. All of Spurs’ final three goals, of course, came from a substitute, Son.

OK, so Rodgers can’t introduce the current joint-holder of the Golden Boot like Conte can. But he can introduce the Golden Boot winner from two years beforehand, Jamie Vardy. His bench here also featured Kelechi Iheanacho, Marc Albrighton, Ayoze Perez and Dennis Praet, who have all previously looked like good top-half players. Others, like Soumare, Luke Thomas and Daniel Amartey are decent enough squad options too.

This is not a bad squad. For all the discussion about Leicester’s lack of activity in the transfer market, ultimately they only lost two key players in the summer. One, Kasper Schmeichel, is a big miss, but losing your goalkeeper doesn’t explain such outfield disorganisation. The other, Wesley Fofana, played only seven games last season because of injury, so his absence shouldn’t be considered a novel issue.

Rodgers partly explained Leicester’s underperformance by pointing to some tricky opponents in the first seven games. “There’s no doubt, in the seven games we’ve had had a tough start, after the summer we’ve had, we’ve had Tottenham away, Chelsea away, Arsenal away, and Manchester United at home.”

Which is fair enough, but they’ve actually been given gifts in a couple of those games. Chelsea were down to 10 men for over an hour, when Conor Gallagher was dismissed at 0-0, and Leicester still lost 2-1. Davinson Sanchez’s crazy challenge on James Justin gave Leicester a one-goal head start here, and they lost 6-2.

Rodgers is essentially a very good manager, and even if he leaves Leicester should be considered to have done a very good job at four straight clubs — Swansea, Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester. Few managers can point to that track record.

But there’s always been a sense that his sides have had some level of mental fragility. It was an extraordinary achievement for his Liverpool side, 33-1 outsiders at the start of 2013-14, to have even been in contention for the title. But once favourites, they blew it.

Similarly, twice with Leicester City, Rodgers’ side haven’t been expected to finish in the top four, but in an extremely strong position have then faded late on. Even the FA Cup triumph in 2021, something that Leicester will always remember as an outstanding day in their history, and Rodgers will always cherish as perhaps his most famous moment, was a touch fortunate. Leicester were awful on the day, and bailed out by Tielemans’ stunning long-range drive, Schmeichel’s heroics and a late VAR decision.

You don’t become a bad manager overnight, and the likelihood is that if Leicester keep faith with Rodgers, he will guide them to survival. But the fact we’re even talking about survival illustrates how desperate the situation has become.

Rodgers is a good manager, Leicester have a good squad, and both will be fine without one another. Together, however, things just aren’t working out, and Rodgers seems to accept it. “The owners will do what they need to do,” he said, which almost felt like he was encouraging them.

The Athletic

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers plans to "fight on", admitting he understands the scrutiny on his job - but can he turn it around?

The Foxes are bottom of the table with just one point from their opening seven games - their worst start since 1983 - following Saturday's 6-2 rout at Tottenham.

The scoreline itself was misleading, with Son Heung-min coming off the bench to score a hat-trick in what had been an otherwise close game.

But the fact it made it six defeats in a row for the Foxes is the problem.

Rodgers is just one of four managers to lead Leicester to a trophy, their first FA Cup just 16 months ago.

So how much credit does he have in the bank?

Rodgers, who replaced Claude Puel in February 2019, told BBC Sport: "I always believe we can overcome it.

"You didn't see a team today that is short of confidence, that is always a good sign.

"I will always fight on, but I understand the game and six straight losses isn't good for anyone."

In another interview, he said: "I totally understand the frustration of supporters. I can't hide from that. It's my responsibility.

"Whatever happens I'll have a huge amount of respect for them [the owners] because they've given me great support. I understand the game. Whatever happens to me at Leicester whether I stay and continue to fight on, I'll always respect them."

James Maddison, whose goal made it 2-2 going into half-time, said the players need to take their share of the blame.

"People will check the scoreline and see 6-2 and think 'wow, Leicester got battered again' but I don't think that was the case," he told Sky Sports.

"In the first half it felt like the Leicester we know and the Brendan Rodgers side we've produced in the last few years, with the high press and creating chances. It is tough to take.

"The players should definitely be taking some of the brunt [not just Rodgers]. It is a collective, it's not the manager, we are an XI out there. It hurts when you really respect the manager and ultimately we are the players out there and we haven't been delivering recently."

How bad have Leicester been?

Tottenham are keeping tabs on Leicester City's James Maddison, with the 25-year-old England midfielder "very keen" on a move to the north London club.

Madison, he really does flirt with every club that flashes their eyelids. He wanted a move to Arsenal last summer!.

Might've been a better investment than Odegaard.

Leicester finally having a good game this season which looks highly likely to lead to a positive result.

3-0 up at half time against Nottingham Forest.

Maddison again in the starring role with two goals, including a sensational free kick.

Maddison is a class act.

Surely he'll be gone at the end of the season.

Such a creative footballer.

Great win for Leicester. Critically needed.

A 4-0 cruise.

Leicester thrashed Nottingham Forest to secure their first Premier League win of the season and move off the bottom of the table at the expense of their opponents.

James Maddison scored twice either side of a Harvey Barnes strike as Leicester opened up a 3-0 lead before half-time.

Maddison then teed up substitute Patson Daka to make it 4-0 after the break.

The result means Forest have now lost their last five games and drop to the bottom on goal difference.

Maddison is a class act.

Surely he'll be gone at the end of the season.

Such a creative footballer.

Brilliant footballer, shame Arsenal didnt sign him and opted for an average oddegaard.

There are some delusional fans who think Maddison isnt that good.

Last edited:
Madison, he really does flirt with every club that flashes their eyelids. He wanted a move to Arsenal last summer!.

Might've been a better investment than Odegaard.

100% better player, playing in an inferior team and is still season after season getting goals and assists galore.

Bournemouth staged a superb second-half comeback to seal an impressive win over Leicester and turn up the heat on Foxes boss Brendan Rodgers.

Leicester looked in control after Patson Daka's early opener but failed to capitalise and had no answer to a rousing Bournemouth reply.

Interim boss Gary O'Neil has not lost any of his five games in charge at Vitality Stadium and, in front of prospective new owner Bill Foley, this performance only boosts his chances of getting the permanent job.

Philip Billing thrashed home a superb volley to level the scores before Ryan Christie touched in Dominic Solanke's knock-down five minutes later to complete the revival.

Jamie Vardy helped inject some urgency into Leicester's play and went close with a couple of cross-shots, but the good feeling established by Monday's 4-0 win over Nottingham Forest had long evaporated by the end.

This result keeps Leicester mired in 19th with just four points from their opening nine games, while Bournemouth move up to eighth, level on points with Manchester United.

Leicester back to square one.

Having a horrible time of it.

Leicester City were unable to ease the pressure on manager Brendan Rodgers as they were held to a frustrating goalless draw by Crystal Palace at King Power Stadium.

The Foxes had their moments but struggled to find impetus and remain in the Premier League relegation zone, with the 4-0 win over bottom club Nottingham Forest two weeks ago appearing a false dawn.

It felt like a day when the first goal would be crucial and Leicester's nerves were evident from the start as Palace exerted early pressure.

But the home side sprung into life when Harvey Barnes and Patson Daka combined to unlock the Palace defence, before Daka forced Vicente Guaita into a smart save.

Patrick Vieira's Palace lacked zip in attack as the first half developed, but showed a spark through Eberechi Eze, who flashed a shot over from the edge of the box with the break looming.

In the second half it was telling that James Maddison was seeing more of the ball, but he twice missed the target before the hour, shooting over from close range and then wide after driving forward.

As time ticked on, very little changed. Neither side were able to force the issue, despite the introduction of Jamie Vardy and Kelechi Iheanacho. This game was there for Leicester's taking, but confidence eluded them.

Leicester awful again today.

Joint bottom of the league with Forest.

Ruthless Leicester picked up their first away Premier league win of the season as they beat Wolves to move off the bottom of the table and out of the relegation zone.

Youri Tielemans put the Foxes ahead with a stunning 22-yard strike, which flew past Jose Sa and went in off the post.

Wolves had nine shots in the opening 17 minutes, but fell 2-0 behind when Harvey Barnes linked up with Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall and slotted past Sa.

Former Chelsea striker Diego Costa, still searching for his first goal since joining Wolves on a free transfer in September, had numerous chances but could not beat visiting keeper Danny Ward, who tipped one shot over and saved a header. Costa also saw other attempts blocked or deflected away.

Daniel Podence was another to be denied by a brilliant Ward stop, while Ruben Neves fired a free-kick just wide at the start of the second half.

By the time Leicester scored their third - James Maddison again pressing his claim for a place in England's World Cup squad with a lovely low strike from 18 yards out - Wolves had created, and missed, 20 opportunities.

That Maddison goal came from only Leicester's third attempt of the match and they scored with their fourth too, Jamie Vardy scoring as they finally won away from home in the league after five successive defeats.

Leicester's James Maddison has seen a specialist about his knee injury and will not play against Liverpool at Anfield on Friday.

The midfielder, 26, picked up a knock against West Ham in November before going to the World Cup with England, but did not play in Qatar.

He also missed the Foxes' 3-0 defeat by Newcastle on Monday.

"[Maddison] won't be available for the game," Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers said.

"He was with Mark [Waller], our doctor, getting some special advice in London today so I'll wait to hear from them later on.

"He hasn't trained with the squad. He was clearly getting treatment out [in Qatar] and he and the medical team deemed him OK to train.

"He was available for games [for England]. He's come back here, looked to do some work, and then felt a pain in a different part of his knee."

Belgian midfielder Dennis Praet will also not feature at Anfield after being forced off against Newcastle.

The defeat was Leicester's first in three games and leaves them in 13th in the Premier League.

BBC

Worrying for Maddison, could face a longer spell out than was first expected.

Leicester City edged past the Football League's bottom club Gillingham in the FA Cup third round at Priestfield Stadium.

The Foxes were limited in chances and frustrated in the first half by a well-organised Gillingham side.

They started the second half brighter and found the opening through Kelechi Iheanacho, who managed to fire home Kasey McAteer's drilled cross.

The draw for the fourth round takes place on 8 January at 16:05 GMT.

Leicester arrived at League Two Gillingham after a disappointing run of three consecutive defeats in the Premier League.

In blustery conditions, Jamie Vardy was the first to test Gills goalkeeper Jake Turner inside five minutes, but the 23-year-old blocked the striker's attempt to the delight of the home fans.

Watch video highlights of Saturday's FA Cup ties
Less than a minute later, a positive counter-attack by Gillingham resulted in midfielder Dom Jefferies trying a low effort that was saved by Leicester keeper Daniel Iversen.

Neil Harris' Gillingham have only scored seven league goals this season, but captain Shaun Williams also came close to causing Leicester problems with two chances in the opening 45 minutes.

But the hosts' resistance was broken after the break in a scrappy manner as McAteer's ball into the middle bobbled across the pitch and landed at the feet of Iheanacho who lashed a shot into the top corner.

BBC

Leicester City are closing in on the £17m capture of FC Copenhagen defender Victor Kristiansen.

Kristiansen is a Denmark Under-21 international, who made 15 league appearances before the World Cup break.

Several long-term injuries, including left-back James Justin, have been a problem for Brendan Rodgers' side.

Rodgers says he expects to be active during the remainder of January after a torrid post-World Cup period, which has brought four successive defeats.

Leicester are 15th in the Premier League table, two points above the relegation zone.

Asked about Kristiansen - who mainly operates at left-back - during Thursday's news conference, Rodgers said: "If and when the club confirm the signing, then I'll speak on the player.

"We've been unlucky to lose two full-backs with Achilles problems, so that has left us with just two.

"It leaves you with players having to play almost every game."

BBC

Leicester City have signed Brazilian winger Tete from Ukrainian club Shakhtar Donetsk until June.

The 22-year-old had been on loan at French side Lyon since March 2022 following the suspension of his contract with Shakhtar.

World governing body Fifa ruled foreign players in Ukraine could suspend their contracts until 30 June 2023 following Russia's invasion of the country.

Leicester say the forward is "currently due to return to Shakhtar on 1 July".

Tete, who made 30 appearances for Lyon with eight goals and 10 assists, remains under contract at Shakhtar until the end of 2023.

"I'm really happy to be here," said Tete after arriving at the King Power Stadium.

"I've had a look at the pitch and the stadium, it's beautiful and I can already imagine what it'll be like with a lot of fans.

"I hope to score a lot of goals and assists. I hope they'll all be happy to see me play, I'm happy to be a Fox."

Leicester are 14th in the Premier League but only one point above the relegation zone.

BBC

The World Cup killed Leicester's momentum, with four wins out of five beforehand and four defeats in a row afterwards.

But added to a draw with Brighton and 4-2 win at Aston Villa, this win over Spurs shows that they have now recovered.

With Maddison well and truly back from injury, and several new signings, plus Iheanacho scoring for a third game in a row, Brendan Rodgers will be delighted.

It had looked set to be a bad afternoon when Kristensen diverted a corner into the path of Bentancur for the opener.

The Denmark Under-21 defender had a bright game, that one moment aside, clearing a ball off the line moments before that goal and popping up in both boxes with tackles and passes.

But then Mendy produced his unbelievable strike, his first in English football, as he ran onto Bentancur's clearance to leather a shot past Forster.

Faes had already been booked for tackling Kane so he may have taken a risk when he tackled the same player in the centre circle. But the loose ball flew about 30 yards to Iheanacho to set up Maddison for his second goal in two games.

Iheanacho put them in control before the break from Harry Souttar's ball - and they had chances in the second half before two clever Barnes finishes, one which did not stand and then the one which did.

This must now be considered the most entertaining Premier League match-up. Since Leicester's promotion in 2014 their games against Spurs have produced 76 goals, the most of any fixture in the division over that time.

To improve the party atmosphere even more, Rodgers was able to bring on right-back Ricardo Pereira for his first appearance of the season following an Achilles injury.

Leicester City v Arsenal (15:00 GMT)

Brendan Rodgers makes two changes to the Foxes side that lost 3-0 to Manchester United, with Wilfred Ndidi and Dennis Praet coming in for James Maddison and Nampalys Mendy

Leicester City XI: Ward, Castagne, Souttar, Faes, Kristiansen, Dewsbury-Hall, Ndidi, Tete, Praet, Barnes, Iheanacho.

Subs: Iversen, Tielemens, Vardy, Amartey, Daka, Pereira, Mendy, Thomas, Soumare.

Leicester City have sacked manager Brendan Rodgers following a fifth defeat in six Premier League matches.

The Foxes dropped into the relegation places with a 2-1 defeat by Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Rodgers was appointed in February 2019 and led the club to its first FA Cup triumph in 2021.

But in a statement, chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said performances and results this season have been "below our shared expectations".

"It had been our belief that continuity and stability would be key to correcting our course, particularly given our previous achievements under Brendan's management," he added.

"Regrettably, the desired improvement has not been forthcoming and, with 10 games of the season remaining, the board is compelled to take alternative action to protect our Premier League status.

"The task ahead of us in our final 10 games is clear. We now need to come together - fans, players and staff - and show the poise, quality and fight to secure our position as a Premier League club."

Rodgers led Leicester to consecutive fifth-place finishes in his first two full seasons as Foxes boss, as well as beating Chelsea to lift the FA Cup in 2021.

But his side began the 2022-23 campaign with seven defeats from their opening 10 Premier League games, slumping to the bottom of the table before a run of four wins from five games going into the World Cup break.

They have struggled since the season resumed, however, collecting just seven points from 33 available.

Too late. They should have sacked him earlier. I'm hoping we get someone who can keep us up..

Leicester deep in the relegation dogfight.

They obviously had no faith that Rogers could keep them up.

They should bring in Potter as their next manager.

With all due respect, Leicester is the ideal type of club for Potter and he could do a good job there.

Former Leeds manager Jesse Marsch has decided not to take the Leicester City job despite being close to reaching a final agreement

I’m hearing that it’s going to be Dean Smith coming in on an interim basis. Not sure if that’s who they need to turn this one around. But then again, this job, at such a late stage of the season, four points adrift of safety, and with a likely limited transfer kitty for the summer, is going to be a tough sell.

I think Leicester dodged a big bullet with Marsch. He's not a PL level manager

We are done. We should have got rid of Rogers a while back..too late now. I question the owners judgment.

Leicester City have appointed Dean Smith as manager on a deal until the end of the season, with Craig Shakespeare and John Terry as part of the coaching staff.

Leicester City forward James Maddison believes his side were "not hungry enough" after their Premier League survival hopes suffered a blow with a 5-3 defeat at Fulham.

Leicester remain just above the drop zone on goal difference with relegation rivals Nottingham Forest and Everton both playing later on Monday.

"[I'm] hurting, this was a big game for us and we were not at it," Maddison told BBC Match of the Day.

"We didn't start the game well enough. We need to do the basics well."

Fulham opened the scoring through a Willian free-kick before strikes from Carlos Vinicius and Tom Cairney powered them into a 3-0 half-time lead.

Cairney added another after the restart before Harvey Barnes pulled a goal back for the visitors, who then saw Jamie Vardy miss a penalty in the 66th minute.

Willian re-established Fulham's four-goal lead with another fine strike before Maddison netted Leicester's second with a spot-kick and Barnes scored a late third.

"We were not hungry enough to want to win the game," added Maddison.

"It is tough. No easy game in the Premier League, it is a cliche but so true. We will keep fighting, we will keep trying to put it right."

Leicester are desperate for points and, with matches against Liverpool and Newcastle still to come, Foxes fans would have circled Fulham away as a must-win fixture in their battle to avoid the drop.

But against a side who had lost three of their previous four matches at home, they were woeful in the opening 45 minutes.

"The first half was nowhere near good enough," Leicester boss Dean Smith told BBC Match of the Day. "We gave away goals we shouldn't give away at this level.

"I didn't see that coming. We have been fairly resolute in the five games we've had with the exception of Everton."

The Foxes fell behind in the 10th minute when keeper Daniel Iversen misjudged Willian's wide free-kick and the ball bounced underneath him before nestling in the bottom corner.

Vinicius' goal finished off a fine counter-attacking move before Cairney scored on just his third league start of the season with an impressive curling finish.

Trailing by three goals at the break, Leicester were booed off by the visiting fans and the mood only got bleaker when Cairney added Fulham's fourth in the 51st minute.

However, Barnes gave his side a glimmer of hope, before Vardy was caught by Bernd Leno midway through the second half - but when the striker missed the resulting spot-kick, any thoughts of an unlikely comeback ended.

Fulham soon added a fifth against a porous defence, with Leicester having now failed to keep a clean sheet in any of their past 20 games, an unwanted Premier League record.

There were ironic jeers when Maddison found the bottom corner from the spot in the 81st minute after he had been caught by Joao Palhinha in the box.

Barnes' 89th-minute strike made the scoreline look more respectable, but in truth the Foxes never looked like securing anything from the match.

BBC

7 years since they won the Premier League and now looking like they will be playing Championship football next season.

Leicester City are planning to approach former Brighton and Chelsea boss Graham Potter about becoming their next permanent manager

Biggest mistake qas letting Schmeichel go and signing his backup, most of the teams getting relegated lack of keeper is one major issue, in fact some teams payed the cost of losing titles due to average goalkeepers, Tim Howard Roy Carroll says hi

Iversen Robles Meslier Bazunu they all are average goalkeepers

Biggest mistake qas letting Schmeichel go and signing his backup, most of the teams getting relegated lack of keeper is one major issue, in fact some teams payed the cost of losing titles due to average goalkeepers, Tim Howard Roy Carroll says hi

Iversen Robles Meslier Bazunu they all are average goalkeepers

Disastrous d3cision for us. Rogers should have been sacked around the world cup. He was clearly uninterested after the summer. Also the owners have not tried to push the club forward fast enough in my opinion.

It will be sad to see them relegated, hope they can find a last gasp win to help them

Leicester City are planning to approach former Brighton and Chelsea boss Graham Potter about becoming their next permanent manager

I think he'll be a decent fit for Leicester and could get them back into the Premier League if they go down.

The biggest problem he will have is that their decent players like Maddison and Tielemans will be gone if they get relegated.

I think he'll be a decent fit for Leicester and could get them back into the Premier League if they go down.

The biggest problem he will have is that their decent players like Maddison and Tielemans will be gone if they get relegated.

Maddison on the bench and so is Barnes.. can't see us winning this.

So annoying that the club hasn't become a big club yet. 10 yrs trophies European football yet we still start a season making sure we get 40 points first..lack of ambition. We'll be back but the cycle starts again..looking over your shoulder every season.

Played for a draw tonight in the hope they can beat West Ham and hope other results go their way.

Leicester City's Premier League fate is now out of their own hands

A goalless draw at St James' Park secured Newcastle's return to Champions League football for the first time in 20 years but left the Foxes in the drop zone with one game to go, and knowing even victory at home to West Ham might not preserve their top-flight status.

Leicester manager Dean Smith said: "We're going to need help. I think there's going to be a lot of anxiety everywhere between the three teams that are in it.

"First and foremost we have a really tough job against West Ham, to try and win that game. But I'm sure with our supporters behind us [we can do that], they saw how hard the players worked today.

"And then it is out of our hands. If Everton win... we obviously will give it our best shot and as long as we can say that we have fought tooth and nail, all we can do is put pressure on them."

An Everton win at home to Bournemouth on Sunday will condemn the 2016 Premier League champions to the Championship for the first time since 2014.

However, a Leicester victory and anything else from the Toffees will send Sean Dyche's side down and keep the Foxes up - with them possibly surviving on goal difference.

Leicester are on -18 and Everton on -24, so the point and clean sheet on Tyneside may yet prove crucial at full-time on the weekend. Leeds are the other team fighting for survival, level on points with Leicester but with a significantly worse goal difference.

Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville said: "They are looking for a mad final day and hoping that something crazy happens at Goodison Park, it is all on Everton."

Leicester boss Dean Smith on his message to the players: "We can only do what we can do to help our team get a result. You have to play your part and then we are relying on others to help us. But now we just have to concentrate on what we do. It is quite a simple message really."

On whether West Ham will field a weakened side because of their Europa Conference League final next month: "I've no idea what David Moyes will be doing with his team, the final is 10 days away so I would not be expecting many changes.

On his approach to the game: "You go into every game trying to win it from the first minute but you have to get the balance right. You have to make sure you are not too open but we have to score a goal or we cannot win the game, so we have to try and create opportunities.

On whether he wants to stay at the club: "My future was to come in for seven weeks and eight games and that hasn't changed. My future is exactly the same. That's a question for after the game, not before it."

Leicester City's nine-year stay in the Premier League came to an end as they were relegated in agonising fashion despite beating West Ham on the final day of the season.

The Foxes' fate was out of their hands heading into the last round of fixtures, and Everton's 1-0 victory over Bournemouth meant the 2015-16 winners slipped into the Championship by two points.

While Toffees fans were in ecstasy at Goodison Park, Leicester supporters at the King Power were left to rue a miserable campaign in which they won only nine league matches.

Knowing they needed a win to have any chance of staying up, Leicester went close early on when Kelechi Iheanacho exchanged passes with James Maddison before clipping the crossbar with a vicious, curling effort.

The hosts did break the deadlock through Harvey Barnes' cool finish from Iheanacho's pass to lead at half-time, and at that stage they were staying up on goal difference.

Jonny Evans almost headed into his own net in a nerve-jangling second half, but the stadium was silenced when word filtered through about Everton's goal.

Said Benrahma struck a delightful curling effort against the post for the visitors, before Wout Faes headed in Leicester's second goal.

Pablo Fornals pulled a goal back by stabbing in via the post as the Hammers finished 14th, six points clear of the relegation zone.

Who'd have thought this would happen after they won the Premier League.

Cashflow problems for the owners, manager changes - it all went horribly wrong for them.

Maddison and co. now will probably leave.

So disappointing, I hope there’s a radical change soon

Who'd have thought this would happen after they won the Premier League.

Cashflow problems for the owners, manager changes - it all went horribly wrong for them.

Maddison and co. now will probably leave.

Maybe COVID exasperated their financial problems? I always felt their core development system was one of the best in the country

Youri Tielemans has bid a "heartfelt farewell" to Leicester City fans in a video message on his Instagram account.

The Belgium midfielder's contract with the Foxes runs out this summer.

The 26-year-old, who scored the winner in the 2021 FA Cup final against Chelsea, leaves the King Power Stadium after relegation to the Championship.

"Dear Leicester City fans, after four and a half special years and with a lot of gratitude, I am bidding farewell to this incredible club," he said.

"From the first day I set foot on this ground, your warmth and passion embraced me.

"Victory and triumph, love, hope and even defeat, we have shared many special moments together. I am forever grateful for your unwavering support."

Tielemans joined initially on loan from Monaco in January 2019 and his move was made permanent in a then club-record £40m deal in July of that year.

He made 195 appearances for the club across all competitions, scoring 28 goals. He also has 58 caps for Belgium.

A series of commanding performances in midfield under former manager Brendan Rodgers helped Leicester to top-half finishes in the Premier League and qualification for Europe, including a run to the Europa Conference League semi-finals last season.

"Thank you to Khun Top [Leicester chairman and owner Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha], the board, the staff, the players and fans for having given me and my family a home," Tielemans added.

"This is not a goodbye, but a heartfelt farewell, with pride, love and eternal gratitude."

BBC

Leicester have announced the departure of seven players from the club this summer.

One of those is Youri Tielemans as the Foxes prepare for life in the Championship following their Premier League relegation.

Also leaving the club is Caglar Soyuncu, Daniel Amartey, Ayoze Perez, Nampalys Mendy, Ryan Bertrand and Tete.

Leicester have also confirmed that they are in discussions with Jonny Evans about his future beyond the summer.

The Foxes have also exercised their option to extend Hamza Choudhury's contract until 2024.

Dean Smith's side have returned to the second tier of English football for the first time since 2014.

They incredibly won the Premier League just two years after promotion as well as the FA Cup in 2021.

Leicester's most notable Tielemans, who will leave at the end of his contract after 195 appearances for the club.

The midfielder will be remembered amongst the Foxes fan base for his stunning FA Cup winning goal in the final against Chelsea.

Amid his departure, the Leicester Mercury report that Aston Villa are the favourites to sign him.

TalkSports

Back