On This Day: March 13, 2004 - Pakistan vs. India bilateral ties return with a bang in ODI at Karachi

Gotham Cronie

Test Debutant
Runs
12882.jpg

Even neutrals were breathless when the first ODI in Karachi on India's first tour to Pakistan for 15 years genuinely lived up to the hype. India actually slowed down but still monstered their way to 349. When Pakistan were 34 for 2 in the eighth over, the match looked settled. But Inzamam-ul-Haq (122) and Yousuf Youhana (73) led the fightback at nine an over. Moin Khan was caught off the last ball trying hit the six Pakistan needed to win. In the final analysis, Pakistan's 20 no-balls to India's two cost them the game.

Match Scorecard:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64880.html

Pakistan's playing XI that day:
mqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I remember I was in 4th standard and they showed the final ODI on projector in school..what a match it was ..laxman played a blistering innings..balaji hitting sixes..pathan wreaking havoc in Pakistani side ..sachin taking magnificent catch of inzy at long on ..one of my earliest cricket memories

it was a great match... inzi and yousaf brought us soo close and younis and razzaq pacing the way.... great match and great chase that fell only 6 runs short of victory.... Now we cant even hope to chase down 250 much much much less a 350....

Player of the match went to the legend inzi :p :p ....

Pakistan's 20 no-balls to India's two cost them the game

That gen is the sweeping statement. As if the lesser no balls wouldnt have meant any other change in strategy by the players.

But it was a fantastic match. Most of the series was watched on projected screens throughout the country and it was something like a carnival. The catch of Mohd Kaif and bare avoiding the collision with Badani in that series.. i think that catch was dubbed by few in pak as 'Rocket Catch' as mentioned by my friend.

Atmosphere after the series was great.

Jeel lo Dil :))

Best ever ODI series, very well organized by Pakistan.

Few memories of me from that match

Shewag's brutal onslaught on all bowlers.
Rana's bizzare debut with 5 no balls in an over.
Classy Dravid out on 99
Masterclass by Inzamam.
Kaif's catch which changed the game for India.

Last edited:
Miandad's reactions during final overs were awesome to watch as well. It was not mere cricket, it was something more.

Yea. asking Moin khan for an inside out/move away and hit gesture. Also iirc, Dravid's frustration on getting out on 99 was very much visible with his distraught reaction. (Nobody considered that as selfish ? :D)
Game was superb. Some people say that odi b4 tests took out the fun. Sehwag disagreed :p

I still remember this match and the very next match too, which was played in Rawalpindi and saw Shahid Afridi and Yasir Hameed pile up runs.

God i remember that series! It was on ARY Digital...adverts (with music from the Good the Bad and the Ugly in the background lol)...i was in year 8 or 9

Even though we lost both the ODI and test series, it was the BEST series ive seen. Really anjoyed EVERYTHING about it...the cricket, the atmosphere, the coverage...everything was awesome!

I still remember the first ODI...woke up at like 6ish in the morning i think to see us getting CLOBBERED! Then we clobbered them with the bat...and tbh we should have won that fairly comfortably in the end ut choked after that flipping Kaif catch to get rid of Malik

On This Day, 13th March 2004: Pakistan vs. India bilateral ties return with a bang

God i remember that series! It was on ARY Digital...adverts (with music from the Good the Bad and the Ugly in the background lol)...i was in year 8 or 9

Even though we lost both the ODI and test series, it was the BEST series ive seen. Really anjoyed EVERYTHING about it...the cricket, the atmosphere, the coverage...everything was awesome!

I still remember the first ODI...woke up at like 6ish in the morning i think to see us getting CLOBBERED! Then we clobbered them with the bat...and tbh we should have won that fairly comfortably in the end ut choked after that flipping Kaif catch to get rid of Malik

Same here I won't ever forget this series . I remember reading Pak vs India on the channel guide and when I went on the channel it was closed . I was the only one awake so I run upstairs woke my parents threw a tantrum and my dad ended up subscribing and with in 15 minutes they opened the channel . I was ecstatic after that when I wouldn't get up my parents would say crickets on and they would trick me into getting up lol .

sachin made a century in one of the matches if I remember correctly and I think we lost:yk

That first Karachi ODI was not just a match, it was a whole movie series. They should show 20 minute episodes of it every week. lol Just too many things happened in that game, i enjoyed it just as much as the bizzare Aussie-RSA match. In fact much more. :kapil

And yes, Kaifu's catch was THE difference maker.

Last edited:
This was a time when I had entirely stopped watching cricket. But thanks to this thread, I ended up watching short highlights of this match yesterday. Cracker! We stole victory from right under the Pakistanis' breath. Epic catch from Kaif there! Would love to watch longer highlights if they are available.

I remember staying up until 4am to watch the match as it was a saturday. Was extremely excited for the match. Remember all the banter with the Indians at school which resulted in Pakistan vs India games after school. ahhhh the good days lol

The best one day international I've ever seen despite the result. I was extremely proud we gave a 350 chase our all despite being unheard of in 2004. Now we panic chasing 250.

I don't think the atmosphere at NSK has been bettered - just listen to the roar when Razzaq hit a six onto the roof of NSK.

Inzamam played an unreal knock and the RRR was under control but the lower order choking, Kaif's sublime catch and the no-balls cost us.

Last edited:
Still remember Inzi’s great innings and his post match interview where he said it was a waste because his team couldn’t win. It was an epic series..

Some people may not remember it now, but right before this series, Pakistan A walloped a full-strength India, chasing over 330 thanks to Taufeeq Umar's greatest day in Limited Overs cricket. Unfortunately, the national team fell short of replicating the heroics a few days later.

An incredible ODI of an incredible series that we should have won. We were 2-1 up and had India 90/4 chasing 290, before Dravid and Kaif played sublime knocks. The decider was pretty much a thrashing.

The first, second and fourth ODIs were classics. This was the first of the four bilateral series in 4 years between Pakistan and India. The 2005 ODI series was fantastic as well, but the 2006 and 2007 ones were largely forgettable.

I was in school and I remember how shocked we were at Sehwag and Tendulkar's onslaught. Hardly anyone gave Pakistan a chance before the second innings, but it we put in a heck of a shift. Ultimately, it was a game of fine margins and the result could have been very different.

MoYo getting caught inches off the rope, Inzamam getting out after playing a sublime knock and that Kaif catch. Malik and Moin pretty much bottled a cakewalk in the end. The 344 that Pakistan scored was the highest ever second innings total in ODIs until South Africa's world record chase exactly 1 year and 364 days later.

We were comfortably second best in the Test series, but I do feel we should have won the ODI series. However, we made amends with aplomb in the return series in 2005, the last great ODI series between the two sides.

Insane. What a time. That was when Pakistan as a team was a bit unsettled and quality was declining a bit but there were still some gems coming through, Afridi's period of a batting showman, Inzi the one world class bat we had along with Yousuf. KAMI AT HIS BEST as well. The old Pepsi logo everywhere near the boundaries as well, good times.

Some people may not remember it now, but right before this series, Pakistan A walloped a full-strength India, chasing over 330 thanks to Taufeeq Umar's greatest day in Limited Overs cricket. Unfortunately, the national team fell short of replicating the heroics a few days later.

An incredible ODI of an incredible series that we should have won. We were 2-1 up and had India 90/4 chasing 290, before Dravid and Kaif played sublime knocks. The decider was pretty much a thrashing.

The first, second and fourth ODIs were classics. This was the first of the four bilateral series in 4 years between Pakistan and India. The 2005 ODI series was fantastic as well, but the 2006 and 2007 ones were largely forgettable.

I was in school and I remember how shocked we were at Sehwag and Tendulkar's onslaught. Hardly anyone gave Pakistan a chance before the second innings, but it we put in a heck of a shift. Ultimately, it was a game of fine margins and the result could have been very different.

MoYo getting caught inches off the rope, Inzamam getting out after playing a sublime knock and that Kaif catch. Malik and Moin pretty much bottled a cakewalk in the end. The 344 that Pakistan scored was the highest ever second innings total in ODIs until South Africa's world record chase exactly 1 year and 364 days later.

We were comfortably second best in the Test series, but I do feel we should have won the ODI series. However, we made amends with aplomb in the return series in 2005, the last great ODI series between the two sides.

I remember that game against Pakistan A. That was a shocker for the Indian team. But I believe the coming of Irfan Pathan is what tilted the balance in our favour on the ODI series . In tests, we were the superior team without question and ,barring, a damn good spell by Gul we were comfortably better.

I watched the match live. One of the best ODI I have ever seen . Being a Pakistan supporter ,this match broke my heart. Pakistan lost after coming so close.

The Third was a classic too, chasing 249 I think it was, we were 3 down early. Yasir and Inzi (batting at 6 because of an injury) steadied the innings before Inzi got a terrible LBW decision and Yasir fell in the 90's. Needed Razzaq to play the finisher and end it in the penultimate over.

Long forgotten. We don't need to recall the games against India. They are not running a professional sporting team, rather a political body hiding around and crying around :)

Back