Overrated and Underrated Players

WebGuru

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
There are many players who are overrated but there are also many players who are underrated. Share your list of players who are underrated / overrated in your opinion.

Here are my choices

Underrated Players
Dareen Sammy
Ravindra Jadeja
Danish Kaneria
Paul Collingwood
Marcus Trescothick

Overrated Players
Sohail Tanvir
Rohit Sharma
Fuf Du Plessis
Suresh Raina
Yusuf Pathan

Re: Overrated & Underrated Players

Asad shafique is overrated

Last edited:
Re: Overrated & Underrated Players

Underrated - Junaid especially by Amir maniacs who wish for him to fail so they can champion their cheat.
Overrated - Amir. He was good but one series does not make him Wasim. Not even close.

Overrated - Shakib, Vettori, Nathan Mcculum, Breondom Mcculum, Amir, Pollard, Hafeez, Asad, Umesh, Ishant, Sreesanth, Rohit Sharma, Misbah.

Underrated
Darren Sammy
Shane Lee
:razzaq
:afridi

Overrated: Chris Gayle. A lot of hype, but little substance at international level.

Overrated - Shakib, Vettori, Nathan Mcculum, Breondom Mcculum, Amir, Pollard, Hafeez, Asad, Umesh, Ishant, Sreesanth, Rohit Sharma, Misbah.

Underrated
Darren Sammy
Shane Lee
:razzaq
:afridi

I am just curious in which category Ashraful falls?

Hughes, tipped to become the next Bradman :)))
Ashraful, the next Tendulkar :)))

my my how predictions fall flat.

Overrated:
Nasir Jamshed
Umesh Yadav
David Warner
Umar Akmal
Hafeez
Brendon Mccullum
Mahela Jaywardane n YK (only in LOI's)
BOOM BOOM AFRIDI

Underrated
Misbah ul haq ;)
Chanderpaul
Sarwan
Bell

Underated

Martin Guptill
Matt Prior
Abdur Rehman
Jonathon Trott
Brendon Taylor

Overated
Ian Bell
M Hafeez
JP Duminy

Over-rated:

Chris Gayle - an average batsman who shreds poor attacks in domestic T20, he is feared there but does not (and rightly so) carry that same fear in ODIs or tests, hasn't done anything of note for the West Indies for years and years, reminds me a bit of like a left handed Afridi at international level, definitely overrated.

Shane Watson - I dunno what it is about this guy, but Australia view him as like the jack of all trades, they make him open, bat at 4 (the spot usually taken by the best batsman in the side i might add, when clearly Watson isn't), has limited technique and again like Gayle can shred attacks in t20s but not much else. Hes a decent bowler but certainly not the worth the amount of time and effort CA have put in him.

Dernbach - Another guy who for some reason keeps making the playing 11 for England in LO cricket, clearly he is at best an average dibbly-dobbly bowler, nothing more.

Umesh Yadav - I will say over-rated but I think its more of a case of extra hype for him as India doesn't produce good fast bowlers, again though nowhere as talented as his backers like to presume

Misbah - Im gonna say this and hope I dont get killed for it, but Misbah for me is also over-rated, yep hes a good batsman who knows how to farm the strike, but he actually didn't win us any matches, he gave us a chance thats all, so tbh I can't understand the hype for him, yeah hes 39 and at that age hes achieved alot but still hes an average player to me who has so much experience that you would think its almost inevitable that he will put his hand up in the sort of situations Pak was in in the champions trophy.

Under-rated

Tredwell - strikes me as a good prospect for England, seems like a good find and I think due to Swann, no ones really given him that applause for the fine work he has done since coming in

Faf du Plessis - Due to his more illustrious team-mates like De Villiers, Amla, Kallis, this guy gets pushed aside but hes also a very talented player

Shakib Al Hasan - I think due to the fact that hes Bangladeshi and lets face it, they're not a great team, this guys achievements get pushed aside by the cricketing world, when I think hes one of the finest all-rounders the game has produced, in fact a player I think Pak needs.

Junaid Khan - Another player who has achieved so much, I don't think he'll ever be on Aamirs level but still a very good prospect for Pak

Ashwin - All the talk about Swann and Ajmal means that this guy gets pushed aside, very good spinner and he wins matches for India just like the other two but for some reason just doesn't get the headlines.

Underrated - Junaid especially by Amir maniacs who wish for him to fail so they can champion their cheat.
Overrated - Amir. He was good but one series does not make him Wasim. Not even close.

Disagree. Junaid is sort of over-rated, esp. in this forum. And dont think amir was over-rate, in one word amir was a specialy player. One of those players who I had no doubt would be rated along the likes of Lillee and Malcom. This is my opinion from what I have seen with my own eyes. If you have doubts watch his bowling during the 2010 WC inlcuding that 5 wicket maiden

Who rates Nathan McCullum ? :)))

Simon Doul man and all the other NZ commies. Keep talking about him he is worse than Ashraful. What is he? A batsman or a bowler? Already played 52 odis, I think just because he is Macca's brother :kami he is getting free rides.

Under-rated:

Misbah in tests
Chanderpaul: A player who i thought was as good as Lara himself. Sadly, deserves only a small percentage of the respect he deserves. He was the wall of WI. Any SC team and their respective fans would truely love to have this guy especially in the Test team. Also, his exclusion from the ODI team to allow hacks to play is moronic
Shakib Al Hasan: Statistically may not be one of the best allrounders ever, this guy always steps up when his teams needs the most. Not rated much because he plays for a team named BD and hence most of his heroism is overshadowed.
Ryan TD: A superb player. Great stats almost everywhere. Too bad he plays for a team named netherlands.
Trott: Has 50+ average in both formats and has less fans than an average indian female cricketer.
Nasir: Never seen any non-BD(and not posting on this forum) ever discuss about nasir hossain

Over-rated:

Misbah for ODIs
Afridi
Ashraful
Hughes
McCullum
Chandimal

Thilan Samaraweera was another guy who was rather underrated.

Ashwin - All the talk about Swann and Ajmal means that this guy gets pushed aside, very good spinner and he wins matches for India just like the other two but for some reason just doesn't get the headlines.

Well, if he didn't take those wickets on tailored pitches more people would be rating him.

Every batsmen we unearth is over rated.

umesh
afridi
hafeez
hughes
du plessis
gayle

underrated
shakib
ashwin
sammy

Over rated: Afridi, YK in ODIs by few, umer gull, kami the bradman, u akmal, under: Junaid, trott, azhar ali and nasir hossain.

Sammy the hard working guy is really underrated look at his figures today against india

Overs: 10, Maidens: 3, Runs: 41, Wickets: 2, Economy: 4.10

Last edited:
Dravid - Major Overrated.
Ganguly - Overrated as a batsman (good captain though).
Ishant Sharma - So overrated that even Indians now don't know why he has played so many ODIs already

Underrated:
Jadeja
Ashwin
Praveen Kumar
Hafeez
AFridi (brings a lot into the game if not with performance)

Last edited:
Dravid - Major Overrated.
Ganguly - Overrated as a batsman (good captain though).
Ishant Sharma - So overrated that even Indians now don't know why he has played so many ODIs already

Underrated:
Jadeja
Ashwin
Praveen Kumar
Hafeez
AFridi (brings a lot into the game if not with performance)

Which has absolutely no room in the hearts of true cricket fans

overrated:

sachin tendulkar
rohit sharma
shahid afridi
chris gayle
david warner

underrated:

ravindra jadeja
darren sammy
george bailley
nasir hossain (bangladesh)
robin peterson

overrated:

sachin tendulkar
rohit sharma
shahid afridi
chris gayle
david warner

underrated:

ravindra jadeja
darren sammy
george bailley
nasir hossain (bangladesh)
robin peterson

I agree

And suprising to see that someone actually claimed SRT to be overrated. I personally think that average Indians rate SRT too much. SRT is god, god stops everything just to watch SRT bat etc. The likes of Dravid, Laxman deserved much more praise during their cricket career. They were only missed after India lost 8-0, which goes to show how valuable those 2 are. Note: SRT played those matches. I think SRT is a true legend, but people go over the top on praising him thats why I find it so sickening

Under-rated:

Tests: Irfan. I think he will have a far more successful career than people think. YK in tests too.
In general: U Akmal (fans expect him to be the finished article from day one) and Shehzad.

Borderline: Juniad and Asad. They have potential, lets see how they progress.

Over-rated: Azhar Ali

Last edited:
Overrated:
JP Dumminy, still living off of Australia.
A minnow basher and platform player especialy in ODI's.

Jadeja overrated as they come, bits and pieces really.
(to some extent Jimmy Anderson is overrated as well, went missing in the most important series of his career)
Underrated
Tsotsobe

Underrated on PP
Stuart Broad
Matt Prior
Bell

Overrated on PP
Shikhar Dhawan
Inzamam ul Haq
Abdul Razzaq (for Christ's sake)
Ross Taylor

Will add more. Can't recall all the names right now. :afridi

Underrated: Aravinda De Silva - no one gave him the credit that he deserved. Smashing Batsman

Overrated: Harbhajan Singh

Overrated
Phil Hughes
Shakib Al Hasan
Angelo Mathews
Rohit Sharma
Ravi Jadeja
Ravi Ashwin
Umesh Yadav
Ishant Sharma
Umar Akmal
Daniel Vettori
Lonwabo Tsotsobe
Darren Bravo

Sammy proving once again that he is underrated...First proved with the ball in first innings now doing with the bat in 2nd innings...

Disagree - I saw Wasim when he was aged 19 and think Amir is significantly better at that age.

Maybe but I have seen too many prodigies fritter away. If Ashraful had been banned after his first test, they would have been romanticising him too.

Marlon Samuels is underrated. Has turned into a top quality Test batsman, yet rarely gets a mention.

Overrated - any Pakistan player NOT in the team

Underrated - any Pakistan player in the team and performing

Overrated - any Pakistan player NOT in the team

Underrated - any Pakistan player in the team and performing

Lol. Exactly now umar akmal is their best player. They would have won ct if he had played inplace of malik.

Overrated - Most overrated has to be Amir.. Afridi, Rohit, Warner are others who are vastly overrated by fanboys.

Underrated - Misbah, Raina, Sammy

Sohail Tanvir overrated? Who rates him besides himself?

Overrated = Akmal Clan, Dhoni's Captaincy, Malinga

Underrated = Gul, Misbah, Rehman

Overrated : Tendulkar. (calling him God, and praising his not so good innings also)

Underrated : Tendulkar (calling him selfish and that he plays for records only, as if that is so easy).

I think Shahid Afridi was highly overrated player. I can't think of any Pakistani batsman who was underrated, but Inzy probably.

Underrated-Kallis,Shakib,Robin Petersen,Sammy,Jadega,Tharanga,Nasir Hossain(Bangladesh),Samraweera,Matthews ,Guptill,Prior.

Overrated-Dernbach,Afridi.

Overrated - Dhawan U.Akmal Hafeez Buttler
Underrated- Sammy Steve Smith Russell Fawad Bairstow

Last edited:
All Pak youngsters are over-rated on PP, Afridi, Swann, Ashwin

Under-rated: Saeed Anwar, Darren Sammy, Amit Mishra, Jaques Kallis.

amir is the best fast bowler in the world right now, even if he isnt playing.

After reading this statement in another thread, I add Amir to the over-rated category.

Overrated

Amla, Ajmal, Guptill, B Mcullum, Morkel, Duminy, Watson, Warner, Malinga.

Underrated

Gul, Rehman, R Taylor, Nasir Hossain, Raina, Zaheer Khan, Collingwood.

Overrated - Dhawan U.Akmal Hafeez Buttler
Underrated- Sammy Steve Smith Russell Fawad Bairstow

dhawan overrated :O

if anything, dhawan is underrated. waited 9 years to get a chance in the indian team & made 3 100s in his 1st 3 knocks after comeback, 1 in test & 2 in odis

Anderson = Cheat
Broad = Cheat
Trott = Cheat
Prior = Cheat
Strauss = Cheat

Most people usually don't rate cheats.

:))) :)))

No wonder you label them as cheats, it must get tiring watching the above constantly pwn your rubbish team.

You should rate them though, after all, they retired your god.

Underrated:

Herschelle Gibbs
Mark Boucher
Marcus Trescothick
Makhaya Ntini
Matthew Hoggard

Overrated:

Andrew Flintoff

:))) :)))

No wonder you label them as cheats, it must get tiring watching the above constantly pwn your rubbish team.

You should rate them though, after all, they retired your god.

I have video evidence of each one of them cheating.

Suck on that. :)))

I have video evidence of each one of them cheating.

Suck on that. :)))

Good, I hope you cry yourself to sleep every night watching it while the memories of us destroying you in backyard are still fresh. :)

Good, I hope you cry yourself to sleep every night watching it while the memories of us destroying you in backyard are still fresh. :)

Yeah, so much for being the saviours of the game. Can't win to save your life without cheating. Must be a huge sense of achievement that.

And why would I cry? I am not a Pom.

Current Overrated - Sachin, Root, Ajmal, Narine, Tamim, Jayawardene, Watson, Warner, Brendan, Jadeja, Pollard, Butler, Umar, Afridi, Hafeez, Kushal, Yadav, Jamshed etc

Current Underrated - Sammy, Swann, Amla, Chandimal, Nasir, Shakib, Southee, Pattinson, Ashwin, Bell, Prior, Finn, Roach etc

Yeah, so much for being the saviours of the game. Can't win to save your life without cheating. Must be a huge sense of achievement that.

And why would I cry? I am not a Pom.

Feel free to upload this damning evidence, I'll be waiting right here.

Of course if you look at history, 7 Indian cricketers have received bans for match fixing, 0 Poms, so I guess that makes you bigger cheats than us.

Tbf it was up to me, I'd allow India to cheat & rough up the ball, it's the only way your losers will ever be able to give us a decent game. :)))

There are many players who are overrated but there are also many players who are underrated. Share your list of players who are underrated / overrated in your opinion.

Here are my choices

Underrated Players
Dareen Sammy
Ravindra Jadeja
Danish Kaneria
Paul Collingwood
Marcus Trescothick

Overrated Players
Sohail Tanvir
Rohit Sharma
Fuf Du Plessis
Suresh Raina
Yusuf Pathan

Why is Pathan in the list? He is not in the team and no one is asking for a recall.

i'm not a fan of either. But how is Amir a cheat? He was idiotic and if anything he lessens Pakistan's chances of winning by bowling 1/2 no-balls in the match. That's not cheating.

Why is Pathan in the list? He is not in the team and no one is asking for a recall.

You might have noticed i added Trescothick, Collingwood etc in the list too actually we are talking about any cricketer in the history not only the currently playing cricketers.

Feel free to upload this damning evidence, I'll be waiting right here.

Of course if you look at history, 7 Indian cricketers have received bans for match fixing, 0 Poms, so I guess that makes you bigger cheats than us.

Tbf it was up to me, I'd allow India to cheat & rough up the ball, it's the only way your losers will ever be able to give us a decent game. :)))

Why should I upload it? Search it for yourself. I am not here to spoonfeed you.

As of the Indian fixers, they never played the game once they were caught. Looks like the United Nations cannot do without cheats. :)))

And you'd ALLOW us to cheat? As if we need to address an utter troll like you as Your Majesty. Come out of your fantasy world.

And we owned you for 15 whole years home and away prior to 2011 in test cricket. A Pom now claiming his team has never been rubbish. What has the world come to?

Last edited:
Why should I upload it? Search it for yourself. I am not here to spoonfeed you.

You're the guy labeling us as cheats, yet i have to find the evidence? :41:

As of the Indian fixers, they never played the game once they were caught. Looks like the United Nations cannot do without cheats. :)))

Again, the facts are, India has many more convicted cricket cheats than England. You're making baseless accusations without any evidence. It's really rather pathetic lol.

And you'd ALLOW us to cheat? As if we need to address an utter troll like you as Your Majesty. Come out of your fantasy world.

I would yes, it'd make things more interesting to watch the ridiculous Ishant plod in with his stupid haircut with a loaded ball, and he might even take wickets then.

And we owned you for 15 whole years home and away prior to 2011 in test cricket. A Pom now claiming his team has never been rubbish. What has the world come to?

Keep living in the past dude, the facts are, we've destroyed you both home and away the last time we've faced off in the true form of cricket. That means, we're your daddy.

Last edited:
You're the guy labeling us as cheats, yet i have to find the evidence? :41:

Again, the facts are, India has more more convicted cricket cheats than England. You're making baseless accusations without any evidence. It's really rather pathetic lol.

I would yes, it'd make things more interesting to watch the ridiculous Ishant plod in with his stupid haircut with a loaded ball, and he might even take wickets then.

Keep living in the past dude, the facts are, we've destroyed you both home and away the last time we've faced off in the true form of cricket. That means, we're your daddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h98N11bSRa4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KrxrluvBM

underated:

azhar ali
asad shafiq
faf
bhuvi kumar
umar gul

overated

Ian bell
bresnan
dernbach
umar akmal
raina
morkel
kohli(tests)
Gayle
pollard
Morgan

Anderson is just tearing leather off the ball in the first video, nothing to see there. cba watching the other one because it's likely to be equally as ridiculous.

We all know English players wouldn't cheat anyway, we lead the world when it comes to fair play.

Back