Pakistan v New Zealand | World T20 | Oval | 13/6/09 [NZ Inns]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pakistan v New Zealand | World T20 | Oval | 13/6/09

7 Hours till the match, Razzaq should be playing today, no Ross Taylor, am off to get ready and make my way to the match. Hope the folliwing teams plays:

Afridi
Akmal
Shahzaib(likely that Shehzad will be recalled at Butt's expense)
Malik
YK
Misbah
Alam
Razzaq
Gul
Aamer
Ajmal

INSHA'ALLAH WE WILL WIN :)

I think he'll finally be dropped today. Butt's form has been diabolical of late, diabolical! Younis was already not pleased with him because of the fielding, his antics yesterday of getting out to Angelo Matthews of all people would totally ticked him off

Once again toss will be crucial especially as we will be playing after the SA v WI match the pitch should take turn.. Win the toss and bat and inshallah we will win. If we bat second again were doomed.

Match facts
Saturday, June 13
Start time 1730 local (1630 GMT)

Abdul Razzaq bends his back during practice, Lahore, June 11, 2009
Abdul Razzaq has unwittingly set himself up as a potential saviour and wildcard and may play at The Oval © AFP
Related Links
Player/Officials: Abdul Razzaq | Aaron Redmond | Younis Khan
Series/Tournaments: ICC World Twenty20
Teams: New Zealand | Pakistan

Big Picture

If Pakistan are to achieve anything significant in this tournament as a team they will have to do so inspite of themselves.

As a bowling unit they have been both wasteful and outstanding. The comeback to halt Sri Lanka on Friday was as good as they have been, but the waste of Sohail Tanvir's first over and the extras ultimately rendered it futile. It is an age-old problem and will not be resolved overnight. As a batting side, they have lacked the bombast required to negotiate the Powerplay and even the nous to keep singles coming along. Younis Khan has battled alone and if it is said that he is not a Twenty20 player, it is forgotten that he needs others to play around him. With bat in hand he has done his job, more than many expected; his colleagues have failed him. The less said about the fielding the better, though at least they didn't drop any catches against Sri Lanka.

These are elementary things and it will require something special to overcome them. Loathe as we should be to say it, Pakistan's progress depends on one of those bewildering, fascinating, unexpected individual hands that occur from time to time. A Shahid Afridi or Umar Gul spell, an Abdul Razzaq or Misbah-ul-Haq special; something, anything, any spark for they are perilously close to being extinguished fully.

As with Sri Lanka, their record against New Zealand in big tournaments is solid; they've won nine of 12, and if this were a semi-final you'd bet on Pakistan such has been their dominance over the Kiwis at that stage. But it isn't and in any case Sri Lanka rendered a similarly poor record irrelevant. New Zealand's concerns are primarily of a medical nature. Jesse Ryder is gone and Ross Taylor and Daniel Vettori, vital cogs both, are still hampered; Vettori has yet to play a game in the tournament.

Though one McCullum has done well, they wouldn't mind a Brendon spectacular either. Like India to an extent, they are untested, especially their batting; wins over Scotland are Ireland will count for little and the loss to South Africa, where their batsmen struggled, was a dead tie.

Form guide
(last five matches, most recent first)

Pakistan: LWLWL

New Zealand: WLWWW

Watch out for...

Abdul Razzaq has unwittingly set himself up as a potential saviour and wildcard. Such is Pakistan's despair that the fact that he hasn't played international cricket for two years or that he was in dire form when he last did so, doesn't matter much. Razzaq's return has, over the last two days, been viewed by many to be just the tonic to galvanise Pakistan. Don't rely on it but if he did do something special with bat or ball - he was at least outstanding in the ICL - you wouldn't be entirely surprised.

Aaron Redmond's return to New Zealand colours was similar in a sense though as a replacement for Jesse Ryder, he had vastly bigger shoes to fill. He brought all the verve of one who wasn't expecting any such opportunity in his 30-ball 63 against Scotland and you wouldn't bet against a repeat. If Brendon McCullum finally locates his range, Redmond may not be needed.

Team news

If Pakistan don't drop Salman Butt now then it will be the most emphatic confirmation that they are not taking this tournament seriously enough. Sohail Tanvir's troubles are more complex but now may not be the time to patiently see him through them. Razzaq is certain to come in. The question is who else will?

Pakistan: (probable) 1 Ahmed Shehzad, 2 Kamran Akmal (wk), 3 Shoaib Malik, 4 Misbah-ul-Haq, 5 Younis Khan (capt), 6 Abdul Razzaq, 7 Shahid Afridi, 8 Fawad Alam, 9 Umar Gul, 10 Mohammad Aamer, 11 Saeed Ajmal

New Zealand will only hope that both Daniel Vettori and Ross Taylor are fit enough to play.

New Zealand: (probable) 1 Brendon McCullum (capt), 2 Aaron Redmond, 3 Martin Guptill, 4 Scott Styris, 5 Jacob Oram, 6 Peter McGlashan (wk), 7 James Franklin, 8 Neil Broom, 9 Nathan McCullum, 10 Ian Butler, 11 Kyle Mills

Cricinfo predicting Tanvir and Butt to be omitted.

Not a bad move given that spin should be the weapon in this match today.

If the fast bowlers get hammered in their first overs YK should not hesitate to introduce spin.

We can chase/defend no more that 130-140 so the run rate must be kept low as possible at all times.

As for Razzaq's batting position - he needs to open.

We need someone to take advantage of the power play and he's had plenty of practice opening in the ICL

Last edited:
This was Razzaq's last stint in England as a Pak international. He scored 77 off just many balls but took Pakistan's total from around 150 to 220+

Need something similar in affect.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oylMsJfN6M8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oylMsJfN6M8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

kashif77 said:
If the fast bowlers get hammered in their first overs YK should not hesitate to introduce spin.

We can chase/defend more that 130-140 so the run rate must be kept low as possible at all times.

As for Razzaq's batting position - he needs to open.

We need someone to take advantage of the power play and he's had plenty of practice opening in the ICL

Basically one bad over (+15 runs) and the bowler is off!!

Shahzad has been a disappointment for Pakistan so far, being compared to Sachin at 17 was always something very stupid.
I have yet to see a single good innings by Shahzad, i guess he was introduced to Int cricket too soon, should have played in Pak A team around the world a bit more before a debut

It will be better if Pakistan open with Akmal and Afridi today.

Afridi is useless down the order, while Butt/Shahzad doesn't do much as opener, so Pak have nothing to loose in trying Afridi as opener

Spin will be the key.

Pakistan must use Afridi and Ajmal well, if necessary within the powerplays. Then also they have Malik and Fawad if spin is going really well.

dblock said:
Spin will be the key.

Pakistan must use Afridi and Ajmal well, if necessary within the powerplays. Then also they have Malik and Fawad if spin is going really well.

Younis is a very predictable captain I cant see him ever using a spinner in the first 6 overs. Another annoying aspect is when he does not rotate the bowlers I think aamir bowled 3 overs in a row the other day.

Afridi_Fan said:
Any News on Vettori and Ross Tylor?
i think it is very sad when people depend on other teams players not playing...show the confidence go out and do the job....same thing i am telling to my mates in india so we lost against windies go out and beat the other two...some of them are already thinking net runrate

pun500 said:
i think it is very sad when people depend on other teams players not playing...show the confidence go out and do the job....same thing i am telling to my mates in india so we lost against windies go out and beat the other two...some of them are already thinking net runrate

Thanks for telling.

Question still stands.

Any News on Taylor and Vettori?

Afridi_Fan said:
Thanks for telling.

Question still stands.

Any News on Taylor and Vettori?
vettori almost fit chances of play around 90% taylor almost 1%

have a mate whos covering the match....vettoris apparently practicing but taylor is not

loser atittude, hoping vittolo and taylor dont play, PAKISTAN to LOSE, GO NZ

In Todays match Razzak will be the difference, he will help pakistan get back on the winning streak.Inshallah.

If shahzaib opens and clicks...we have a good chance winning ...everyone has to click today even younis and intis brain cells if they have any..

pakistan's key to victory-

afridi should open
make razzaq bat up the order..this man is vastly experienced..i am sure he will not have problems batting up the order.

I expect Alam to be dropped in this match for Razzak.
And Razzak might open with butt
Akmal coming back down the order these are my predictions lets see what happens

I have a strange feeling that our 1st bowling pair will do the damage this time...

Couch Cricketer said:
I expect Alam to be dropped in this match for Razzak.
And Razzak might open with butt
Akmal coming back down the order these are my predictions lets see what happens

Helllo?

You are retaining butt and Tanvir?

You cant be serious.

abc_to_xyz said:
I have a strange feeling that our 1st bowling pair will do the damage this time...

Tell you what, I have that feeling before every single match since I started to watch Cricket.

darkmoon459 said:
In Todays match Razzak will be the difference, he will help pakistan get back on the winning streak.Inshallah.

I hope so, but he hasnt played International Cricket for soo long now, and thier was no ICL this year, am not sure how much domestic cricket he has played? so it could be that he is out of form with bat and ball.

Afridi_Fan said:
Helllo?

You are retaining butt and Tanvir?

You cant be serious.

I am not selecting them the PAk team management will
you cant replace a bowler with a batsman if they dont play tanvir then they most probably play rao
but razzak will replace a batsman so the most likely person to be replaced is another batting all rounder i.e Alam
where as butt he might be replaced with Shezad but I dont expect them to make so many change so he might still get another match

Last edited:
Shehzad, Razzaq to play against NZ in S8 match

http://www.geo.tv/6-13-2009/44117.htm

Updated at: 2031 PST, Saturday, June 13, 2009

LAHORE: Pakistan Cricket Board sources said two changes are being made in the team to play against New Zealand in the next match of ICC Twenty20 World Cup Super Eight round, Geo News reported Saturday.

The sources said Ahmed Shehzad will be given chance in place of Salman Butt and Abdur Razzaq will replace Sohail Tanveer.

Ok .. we got the right team finally.

If we can't win today .. they we don't deserve to advance.

Muddaser said:

LAHORE: Pakistan Cricket Board sources said two changes are being made in the team to play against New Zealand in the next match of ICC Twenty20 World Cup Super Eight round, Geo News reported Saturday.

The sources said Ahmed Shehzad will be given chance in place of Salman Butt and Abdur Razzaq will replace Sohail Tanveer.

That means Akmal will open with Shehzad, again no Afridi at the top order.

kashif77 said:
Ok .. we got the right team finally.

If we can't win today .. they we don't deserve to advance.

If we cant win, we will be out automatically.

Afridi_Fan said:
That means Akmal will open with Shehzad, again no Afridi at the top order.

Not necessarily.

Kamran could always come in three.

This is a do or die match and I think YK has to pull out all the stops .. and that means Afridi opening.

At least with the fielding resctrictions there will be less of a chance of him getting caught.

kashif77 said:
Not necessarily.

Kamran could always come in three.

This is a do or die match and I think YK has to pull out all the stops .. and that means Afridi opening.

At least with the fielding resctrictions there will be less of a chance of him getting caught.

Sometimes he hits the ball only high and not long, so there are chances for a skier inside the circle :p

Afridi_Fan said:
Sometimes he hits the ball only high and not long, so there are chances for a skier inside the circle :p

Sometimes ?

Muddaser said:

Dropping Butt is fine BUT bringing in Shehzad? Shahzaib would be the far better option - we need someone who can give us an explosive start

Geordie Ahmed said:
Dropping Butt is fine BUT bringing in Shehzad? Shahzaib would be the far better option - we need someone who can give us an explosive start

Ahmed got decent scores in both the practice matches.

Shazaib got a duck.

Should be pretty obvious who will replace Buttah.

Muddaser said:

from one lame duck to another you get a feeling shezad will get out any ball not what you need first up.

kashif77 said:
Ahmed got decent scores in both the practice matches.

Shazaib got a duck.

Should be pretty obvious who will replace Buttah.

True BUT i would prefer to open with guys who can hit it over the infield - cant rely on ground shots, end up finding the fielder way too oftend

I'm hoping the right squad is selected.

If Shazad is given a chance then Pakistan are better off giving Shazaib a chance.

I do hope Fawad plays.

Tanvir and Butt to be dropped.

InshaALLAH Pakistan win.

Well its do or die time for pakistan. Win or they can wave good bye to winning this tourney!

Come on Pakistan.

Pakistan Zindabad.

Toss should be any minute.

styris saying paks are a champion side which on their day can be the best in the world

IMMY69 said:
styris saying paks are a champion side which on their day can be the best in the world

Everyone knows that, lets just hope its Our Day

Lets show no respect to new zealand. Hope they give a ruthless performance

Afridi_Fan said:
Everyone knows that, lets just hope its Our Day

yes but is it case now or are we just too far behind the rest of the world??

time will tell...

adilmomin said:
ah crap we cant chaseee

well if we have any chance in this tourney then we gonna have to be able to chase too...

come one boys...

Shazaib playing instead of Butt - did I hear right.

Abdul Razzaq instead of Tanvir.

Good squad.

Crap, chasing on this pitch will be difficult as it proved for the West Indies

Shahzaib and Razzaq replacing Butt and Tanvir

I dont think we can chase more then 130 thats how rubbish we are batting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back