Pakistan vs South Africa | 2nd Test | Lahore | 8/10/07 | Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn we can't follow up with back to back wickets. I think they started to relax after kallis's wicket.

I would say - match slightly balanced in SA favour - another 100 runs and you would start favouring them ...

OMG i can't believe AUS are choking.. india is doing really good at the death overs..

22 run on 12 balls

Guys - just keep the Aus/Ind scores out of this thread pls.

Pak SA score updates pls

I guess we are just counting overs till the new ball is available...

game is nicely in the balance.......one more wicket and it's S.A tail....but 50 more runs and S.A are on top...

Finally some luck goes Pakistan way! Villiers run out as Asif deflects Boucher's followthorugh to the stumps.

finally some luck for us badly needed espically after the way aseef kept beating the outside edge

oh well...S.A wont get 300 now.........but how will the pakistan batting fare ?

Andre Nel is known as a very nice guy off the field....you must know he just plays up to his image on the field ?

shan2026 said:
What the hell, is Kaneria and Nel friends?
I think hey played county cricket together ,good to see players having personal friendships beside cricket.

wonder how many overs we will lose in the test match due to poor light. with two spinners we should have bowled our full quota

Well Day 1 honours go to Pakistan!

SA will be very dissapointed with being 259 for 6 at close on day 1 having won the toss. We never let them get away from us and kept chipping away at their wickets. Asif bowled well, Danish bowled beautifully and Rehman continued to prove me and others wrong!

Most importantly we are now into the saffie tail with the new ball still at hand. The remaining four batters all average in single digits and there is a reason for that (they are crap). So let's bowl them out now in the next 50 runs or so.

COME ON PAKISTAN!

Great stuff today, proving that we are fiesty team with excellent team spirit :14: :14: :14: :14: :14:

shan2026 said:
What the hell, is Kaneria and Nel friends?

they both played for Essex. Might even be drinking buddies.

It gets dark in Lahore very fast. They should start at 9:30 in morning if over night dew is not a problem

Pakistan have a good chance now to level the series with Inzamam and Yousuf back in the team. they can restrict SA at around 300, or at most 320.

speaking of Essex.....it is quite something to have Nel bowling at one end and Kaneria at the other!

Hash said:
Well Day 1 honours go to Pakistan!

SA will be very dissapointed with being 259 for 6 at close on day 1 having won the toss. We never let them get away from us and kept chipping away at their wickets. Asif bowled well, Danish bowled beautifully and Rehman continued to prove me and others wrong!

Most importantly we are now into the saffie tail with the new ball still at hand. The remaining four batters all average in single digits and there is a reason for that (they are crap). So let's bowl them out now in the next 50 runs or so.

COME ON PAKISTAN!

Great stuff today, proving that we are fiesty team with excellent team spirit :14: :14: :14: :14: :14:
Can't say SA will be disappointed because
a) They can still get to 350
b) Most of their batsman got out to axcellent balls from the PAK bowlers.

PlanetPakistan said:
Can't say SA will be disappointed because
a) They can still get to 350
b) Most of their batsman got out to axcellent balls from the PAK bowlers.

when you win the toss and bat first in a test match and at close on day 1...

a) you are 259 for 6
b) all of your premier batsman are out
c) you are into your tail
d) Nobody in your tail averages more than 10

You are dissapointed!

Pakistan on the other hand lose the toss and bowl first and at close on day 1....

a) have the opposition 259 for 6
b) have all of premier batsman out
c) are into the tail
d) have got the new ball
e) nobody in that tail averages more than 10
f) have a bolstered batting line up

You are pleased!

So in short.....SA will be going back to the Pearl Continental dissapointed (AB De Villiers might even look out for me to comfort him) and Pakistan will be going back happy!

Pak marginally ahead after day 1 I would say.

The key tomorrow morning is to utilise the new ball and skittle the tail by giving Boucher as little strike as possible.

Get them all out under 320 !

Hash - that's a very optimistic thread. Indeed Pakistan are not out of it by any means. I would say it's been an even day. No-one can claim to have the advantage. In terms of the match outcome,however, Saffers have the edge because a) Pakistan have to bat last b) Pakistan's opener are two walking wickets wheover they be. c) Yousaf is out of practice d) Inzi is finsihed and it was a ridiculous decision to play him - totally unprofessional.

Pakistan's chance is to limit Saffers to 300 which is by no means easy with Boucher still batting and with Nel capable of staying with him. Then Pakistan have to make 500. Now realistically, who expects Pakistan to get anywhere near 500 ??

Boundary View said:
Hash - that's a very optimistic thread. Indeed Pakistan are not out of it by any means. I would say it's been an even day. No-one can claim to have the advantage. In terms of the match outcome,however, Saffers have the edge because a) Pakistan have to bat last b) Pakistan's opener are two walking wickets wheover they be. c) Yousaf is out of practice d) Inzi is finsihed and it was a ridiculous decision to play him - totally unprofessional.

Pakistan's chance is to limit Saffers to 300 which is by no means easy with Boucher still batting and with Nel capable of staying with him. Then Pakistan have to make 500. Now realistically, who expects Pakistan to get anywhere near 500 ??
me :)

A lead of 100-150 will be enough.

200 will only guarantee the win.

100-150 will put us out of SA's reach, so the only result they can hope for is a draw.

Pakistan should be aiming to bowl S.A out for 300. The key is to get out boucher early tomorrow. Traditionally lahore wicket is best to bat on days 2/3 and pakistan will need to bascially get 400+ to have any sort of chance of wanting to win the game. Pakistan need partnerships and atleast 2 batsmen need to get big scores!

In 2003 S.A made 320 in 1st inns and pakistan gained an 81 run lead on 1st inns and that was pretty crucial in the end result.

I am a bit disappointed with Malik because of the way he has used his bowling resources...to continue bowling with same bowlers and not trying to mix up his bowling options is the sign of a poor kuptaan...

I am referring to the fact that he did not bring Rehman till close to tea and took him off after just 2 overs

This is his 2nd test as a skipper and he can be given some leeway in that regards but soon experts will start criticizing him openly in the media...he better start taking some Kuptaancy lessons rather then the English ones :p

Last edited:
yaar monsee your obsession with Malik not bowling Rehman before tea is bordering on my obsession with Shabbir never playing for Pakistan again!

After the 1st test people criticised him for making too many bowling changes so maybe he had that in the back of his mind. It is his second test and he will learn. Plus not bowling Rehman until later was not so much a crime as you are making out. As I said, Danish was bowling very well. There was no need to take Danish off. And the Lahore pitch is not like the Karachi one which only took spin. We were not going to see spinners bowling long spells in tandem on the first day on this pitch.

It really is pathetic to ask the likes of Inzy and Yousuf to turn up for such a crucial Test match and expect them to get substantial runs for the team. They've hardly played for ages and I wouldn't be surprised if they struggle, although I obviously hope not.

Majestic_Inzi said:
i didnt watch the match, hows the wicket.

Batting paradise?

Had a bit of juice for the first hour but apart from that it has taken spin. More bounce than Karachi but nothing out of the ordinary. A very good effort by our bowlers.

Amjid makes a good point. If we bowl out SA for around 300 and then get a 100 lead, we would be in a good position to win this match.

Hash said:
yaar monsee your obsession with Malik not bowling Rehman before tea is bordering on my obsession with Shabbir never playing for Pakistan again!

After the 1st test people criticised him for making too many bowling changes so maybe he had that in the back of his mind. It is his second test and he will learn. Plus not bowling Rehman until later was not so much a crime as you are making out. As I said, Danish was bowling very well. There was no need to take Danish off. And the Lahore pitch is not like the Karachi one which only took spin. We were not going to see spinners bowling long spells in tandem on the first day on this pitch.

I guess Kaneria can thank Malik and then you for the missing skin on his Index Finger then... :p

When you have only 4 bowlers, you do try to give them same kind of workload and mix them up well enough for the opposing batsmen to never get very comfortable...

I am not critizing Malik for the sake of criticism but rather I want to see him do better then other Pak captains, by using his brain much more then listening to any criticism and then making adjustments in the next game...a pro-active approcah rather then a reactive one

P.S. Your love for Shabbir is unmatched...I can't even imagine matching that, ever

We are right on top here and thanks to that crucial wicket right at the end. Lets hope we can wrap them up for around 300 and then build a substantial lead.

Come on Pakistan!

MIG said:
Did Inzi field in the slips today ?
yes and he was also shown talking with Malik :)

Hopefully Gul doesn't have a big problem with his right arm. There was some talk about him not looking right. Kaneria bowled very good but then his fingre is injured and cannot tape it while bowling. I think the commentator was saying that SA or umpire can object to it (not good audio on ARY).

Rehman should have been tried for couple of overs before lunch to see how the pitch suits him and to give some rest to the seamers and/or Kaneria. I am sure during lunch Lawson and Malik discussed about bowler usage during the next session and also how the seamers were feeling

yes pakistan took the day today and they bowled really well asif was unlucky he should of got more wickets. but anyway pakistan need to bowl the south afrticans out before lunch tomorrow and conceding less than 50 runs than if this happens pakistan will be in a cruising situation

I'd say honor are pretty even - may be 55%-45% in Pak favor....but it all depends on what Boucher can do tomorrow. If they add another 100+ runs, Pak has to bat very very well in their 1st innings and score at a good S/R.

Is wicket taking any turn or bounce for Abdur Rahman and Kaneria...or ball keeping low with/without the turn?

W63L35 said:
I'd say honor are pretty even - may be 55%-45% in Pak favor....but it all depends on what Boucher can do tomorrow. If they add another 100+ runs, Pak has to bat very very well in their 1st innings and score at a good S/R.

Is wicket taking any turn or bounce for Abdur Rahman and Kaneria...or ball keeping low with/without the turn?

turn/bounce is there for sure.....not as much as Karachi but its there. Pitch had juice in it for the first hour which totally died out after.

Lahore traditionally is best for batting on days 2/3 so we really need to take advantage of this. The reason why I put this 60-40 in our favour is that we are already into the SA tail (none of whom average more than 10) and we have the new ball at hand.

Another 100 runs will be very difficult for them. Boucher will have to play the innings of his life (or close to it). I'd say 50-70 tops.

Hash said:
turn/bounce is there for sure.....not as much as Karachi but its there. Pitch had juice in it for the first hour which totally died out after.

Lahore traditionally is best for batting on days 2/3 so we really need to take advantage of this. The reason why I put this 60-40 in our favour is that we are already into the SA tail (none of whom average more than 10) and we have the new ball at hand.

Another 100 runs will be very difficult for them. Boucher will have to play the innings of his life (or close to it). I'd say 50-70 tops.

very much agree with u there

Hash said:
I watched the 1st hours of play in the morning....yes, there was something in the wicket for Asif/Gul.
....but I was talk about the kind of bounce that spinners normally get from a rough created bowler's foot steps.

The reason I asked about the turn etc because...if Pak put up a huge total, then SAFer will be batting on 4th/5th day and that ma y help us win the test if there are conditions that help Karnera/Rahman.

As far as edge is concerned, yes...we do have edge because new ball is only 3 overs old and hopefully Asif/Gul can get rid of the tail quickly!

On first day the pitch had more turn and bounce compared to Karachi pitch. Earlier there was seam movement for pacers too. Ofcourse the bounce means Pakistani bounce and not like Old Trafford or Adelade but just a comparisson between Karachi and Lahore pitch. I think this is better pitch than Karachi for both batsmen and bowlers

Last edited:
sportacus said:
Maybe Pakistan selecters have listened to experts like Monsee and Hash and other Shoaib haters who told us that with Indian style medium pace line and length bowlers we can destroy batting line ups ?

:)))

I wonder when I became a 'shoaib hater'

12thMan said:
On first day the pitch had more turn and bounce compared to Karachi pitch. Earlier there was seam movement for pacers too. Ofcourse the bounce means Pakistani bounce and not like Old Trafford or Adelade but just a comparisson between Karachi and Lahore pitch. I think this is better pitch than Karachi for both batsmen and bowlers

Hash said:

I let you two...fight it out!! :p

...but I an talking about the bounce that spinners normally get from bowler's rough.....which is a little early for that. But is pitch taking enough turn for 1st day ...so that by 4/5th day, it will be a big turner...and batting will be difficult vs spinners.

Hash said:
when you win the toss and bat first in a test match and at close on day 1...

a) you are 259 for 6
b) all of your premier batsman are out
c) you are into your tail
d) Nobody in your tail averages more than 10

You are dissapointed!

Pakistan on the other hand lose the toss and bowl first and at close on day 1....

a) have the opposition 259 for 6
b) have all of premier batsman out
c) are into the tail
d) have got the new ball
e) nobody in that tail averages more than 10
f) have a bolstered batting line up

You are pleased!

So in short.....SA will be going back to the Pearl Continental dissapointed (AB De Villiers might even look out for me to comfort him) and Pakistan will be going back happy!

:))

I was referring to the fact that they have genuinely been outplayed. It is not as if S Africans made too many mistakes they were simply up against quality bowling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back