[PICTURES] Liverpool FC | 2023/24 Season

Great to be back at Anfield after so long.

It really is a special venue with a fantastic atmosphere.

It was a strange game in so far as so many of Liverpool's players had poor matches, including Salah, Nunez, Diaz etc, yet they scored 4 fantastic goals.

I think a better organised team than Fulham would have beaten Liverpool.

Great to be back at Anfield after so long.

It really is a special venue with a fantastic atmosphere.

It was a strange game in so far as so many of Liverpool's players had poor matches, including Salah, Nunez, Diaz etc, yet they scored 4 fantastic goals.

I think a better organised team than Fulham would have beaten Liverpool.

I thought the team played well, just way too open at the back which is nothing new. Salah had an assist and put in Darwin twice with clear chances but he failed to put them away.

If we can stop leaking silly goals, this team will score the most in the PL this season.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says Trent Alexander-Arnold will play "wherever it's best for us" following his late winner from midfield against Fulham.

Alexander-Arnold started at right-back but pushed into midfield late on, sparking a debate about whether he could permanently play there.

But Klopp does not want to pin the England international to one position.

"We still have to make decisions on what is best for the team and Trent sees it exactly the same way," he said.

"Trent can play midfield, we all knew that and he can play the role really well.

"If he wants to be good he has to be influential from all different areas because it makes us better."

Alexander-Arnold's attacking instincts have led to some criticism of his defensive attributes and questions over whether he would be more effective further forward.

He started both of England's European qualifiers against North Macedonia and Malta in central midfield during the November international break.

The 25-year-old was back at full-back when Liverpool resumed Premier League action at champions Manchester City, but did score a late equaliser in the 1-1 draw at Etihad Stadium.

"Trent became one of the most successful players in the history of Liverpool. In the recent history, he became a Premier League player as a right-back so he will play wherever it's best for us and that's just how it is and Trent sees it exactly the same way," added Klopp.

"I'm not stubborn and don't want to play him midfield, not at all, but I am not part of the discussion. You [the media] can discuss it as much as you want but it will not have any influence.

"He wants to play and from my point of view he has to be influential and we have to make sure we help him with the positioning.

"If you want to be good he has to be influential from all different areas because it just makes us better if he plays a good game."

Meanwhile, defender Joel Matip could be set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines after Klopp said his knee injury "doesn't look good".

Matip was forced off during the second half of Sunday's win against Fulham at Anfield.

"The scan is not done yet so we don't know exactly but it is not great," said Klopp, whose side travel to Sheffield United on Wednesday.

"I don't know the exact timescale but it doesn't look good. That is something we can say.

"I spoke to him and said: 'Ah no, that is not good'. But how long [he will be injured for], we don't know."

Forward Diogo Jota and goalkeeper Alisson suffered muscle injuries during last month's draw at Manchester City, though they are not expected to be out long-term.

The Merseyside club are also without full-back Andy Robertson as he recovers from shoulder surgery, while midfielders Thiago Alcantara and Stefan Bajcetic have yet to make an appearance this season because of hip and adductor injuries respectively.

Dominik Szoboszlai: The rise of Liverpool's Hungarian hero​

A fan favourite for Liverpool and a potential successor to Hungarian legend Ferenc Puskas - Dominik Szoboszlai has had a pretty impressive 2023.

The 23-year-old midfielder once again took the spotlight during Hungary's 3-1 victory over Montenegro in November.
He scored two goals, downed a shot of palinka - a traditional Hungarian fruit brandy - and led the chants from the stands inside Budapest's Puskas Arena after the match.
Szoboszlai has rapidly become Hungary's leading footballer, a rise which has coincided with the national team's resurgence.

Hungary have sealed a third consecutive European Championship appearance after finishing four points clear of Serbia to top their qualifying group. And in the 12 games Szoboszlai has captained the team, they are unbeaten.

As his country's top player, Szoboszlai shoulders the weight of fans' hopes and will want to guide the team back to a place among Europe's elite.
He has also made an instant impact at Anfield since arriving from RB Leipzig for £60m in the summer.

There were questions over Szoboszlai's ability to handle the move at this stage of his career, but a string of impressive performances in the heart of Jurgen Klopp's midfield - combining powerful running with technical ability - have silenced any doubters.

He is already a regular in the new-look team as second-placed Liverpool travel to Sheffield United on Wednesday looking like Premier League title contenders.

Expectations will only rise from here.
Liverpool fans will hope Szoboszlai can lead Klopp's next generation to glory, while Hungarians may believe qualifying for the Euros is only the beginning and that a team with the midfielder at the helm is destined to compete for international trophies.

Source :BBC

Joel Matip: Liverpool defender suffers ACL injury, confirms Reds boss Jurgen Klopp

Joel Matip is likely to miss the rest of Liverpool's season, with manager Jurgen Klopp confirming the defender has suffered a serious knee injury.

Centre-back Matip came off 20 minutes from the end of Sunday's 4-3 Premier League victory over Fulham at Anfield.

After Wednesday's 2-0 win at Sheffield United, Klopp said the 32-year-old Cameroon defender had ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).

The defender is in the final year of his contract with the club.

Matip joined Liverpool from German side Schalke seven years ago and has made 201 appearances in all competitions, scoring 11 goals.

"It's what I unfortunately expected from the first second," said Klopp. "Everything looked like that. It's very unfortunate."

Klopp on Matip contract expiring in June while he torn his ACL: “I'm pretty sure the club will show their class”.

“I would say there is a chance of a new deal, yes, but it's not my decision”.

Liverpool midfielder Alexis Mac Allister's injury "doesn't look good", said Reds boss Jurgen Klopp.

The Argentina international, 24, suffered a cut knee early on in the 2-0 win over Sheffield United on Wednesday.

They were pretty hopeful after the game that it was not serious. It's not that serious, but in the period of the year if you are out for five days, it's 12 games pretty much."

Klopp added: "I don't expect him to be ready for [Saturday]. I don't know about Thursday or Sunday after that, so it's pretty much stop and go. We have to see."

Liverpool are away to Belgian side Union Saint-Gilloise in the Europa League on Thursday and have already qualified for the knockout stages after securing top spot in their ongoing group.
They then host Manchester United in the Premier League on Sunday, 17 December.

Brazil keeper Alisson could return for the Reds at Palace after returning to training following a hamstring injury suffered against Manchester City on 25 November.
"Looks good," said Klopp on Alisson. "I don't know if good enough for [Saturday], I have to check that."

Liverpool defender Joel Matip has joined long-term absentees Andy Robertson, Thiago Alcantara and Stefan Bajcetic on the sidelines at the club.

He could miss the rest of the season after rupturing his ACL muscles and the 32-year-old's contract runs out next summer.
Asked about Matip's future, Klopp said: "I'm pretty sure the club will show their class. He deserves all the support from us and he will get it."
On a new contract for Matip: "I would say so, but it's not my decision."

He carried on playing but was substituted after 57 minutes and later had his wound stitched up.
"Macca doesn't look good, so we have to see day by day," said Klopp ahead of Saturday's trip to Crystal Palace (12:30 GMT).

Source : BBC

Playing like champions LFC

Come back from behind to win!

Liverpool attacker Mohamed Salah, speaking to TNT Sports, after scoring his 200th goal for the Reds: "The most important thing was that we won the game. It's a great feeling. I'm happy for the record and that we won the game."

On match-winner Harvey Elliott: "He's a good kid. he's learning. I like to push him in the gym. He will have a good career. If he wants to speak then just come to me.

Similarity to title winning side: "I see the mentality to keep fighting until the end. We keep doing that. We have a new team now because there's six or seven players. We need to give them advice. They're learning a lot and they're really nice. We can do something special this year."

Liverpool have opened talks with RB Leipzig to bring Fabio Carvalho back in January due to insufficient game time.

Carvalho could start in UCL tonight but he only played 257 total minutes so far — #LFC not happy with this loan.

Decision on next steps to be made soon.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said he has never had the type of injury that has sidelined Argentina midfielder Alexis Mac Allister.

Mac Allister suffered a cut knee in a win at Sheffield United on 6 December.

He missed the victory at Crystal Palace on Saturday and has not travelled with the Reds for a Europa League group game at Union Saint-Gilloise on Thursday.

Mohamed Salah, Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Alisson Becker have been rested for the tie.

"It's a bit more tricky than we thought at the first moment," said Klopp on Mac Allister, who is also expected to miss Sunday's Premier League game against Manchester United.

"The other boy stepped on his knee and the stud went through pretty much the muscle on to the bone.

"Now, we have to wait until the bone is healed and until Macca can deal with the pain, because it is pretty painful.

"Macca is actually a super-tough guy so we have probably to make sure just from an infection point of view nothing happens. That's really important.

"I never had this injury for one of my players before but now we have it.

"I hope it will not take that long, I would like to say it's day by day - but that would look like he could maybe play the next game but he will not be ready for that as well.

"I hope the next three or four days he makes big steps and then we will see."

Source: BBC

He is a key player for the club and I hope that we will see him in action soon.

Already-qualified Liverpool ended their Europa League group campaign with an away defeat in Belgium against Union Saint-Gilloise.

Jurgen Klopp's youthful Reds side fell behind in the 32nd minute when Mohamed Amoura scored after taking the ball around goalkeeper Caoimhin Kelleher.

Twenty-year-old centre-half Jarell Quansah equalised with a powerful effort from inside the penalty area for his first Liverpool goal.

But the hosts regained the lead just before half-time thanks to Cameron Puertas' low strike, which proved to be the winner.

Puertas thought he had scored again with another well-struck shot but the goal was disallowed for handball following a video assistant referee check.

Despite the loss, Liverpool win Group E with 12 points from their six games, while Belgian league leaders Union Saint-Gilloise finished third to drop down into the Europa Conference League play-offs, in February.

Premier League leaders Liverpool will not play another European fixture until the last 16 in March and can focus on other competitions.

They now have three vital home games - Manchester United in the Premier League on Sunday, West Ham in the Carabao Cup quarter-finals on Wednesday and then Arsenal in the league on 23 December.

Source: BBC

They look like the favorite team to win this season's Europa League.

Liverpool have launched an investigation after condemning an incident in which a bottle was hurled at the Manchester United team coach as it arrived at Anfield.

FT: Liverpool 0-0 Man Utd

Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk, speaking to Sky Sports on if he was feeling frustrated: "100%. If you see how we played the game, we had most of the ball and created some opportunities. There was only one team trying to win the game.

"We want to win every game of course and that is why it is frustrating. Sometimes we shot too easy and could have passed on the overlap. The right decision was sometimes lacking.

"We carry on of course but it is frustrating because we were superior in all aspects. In the end they are buzzing with a point and we are disappointed with a point.

"Obviously they are not in the best phase. Coming here you are wary of the threat we have. We should have won it today. We have to learn from certain situations and I know we will.

"Last year we didn't come in with a good feeling towards the Manchester United game but we

Liverpool 0-0 Man Utd: Jurgen Klopp claims hosts were more dominant than in 7-0 win

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says he cannot remember his side producing a "more dominant" performance against Manchester United than they delivered in Sunday's goalless draw - including their 7-0 victory last season.

In terms of possession and shots attempted, Klopp's assessment was correct.

At Anfield on Sunday, Liverpool had 69% possession and attempted 34 shots without finding a breakthrough.

In the same fixture back in March, Liverpool had 60% of the ball and converted seven of their 16 efforts.

Erik ten Hag's side tried to go toe to toe with Liverpool in that game but were left brutally exposed and clinically punished by the home team.

It was a different approach this time. With a host of players out injured, including centre-back Harry Maguire, Ten Hag set the visitors up to defend deeper with a compact shape which laid down the challenge for Liverpool to break them down.

"I saw a lot of good things, the one thing I don't like is the result. We should have scored, we had the opportunities and should have had more clear-cut chances," Klopp told Sky Sports afterwards.

"I can't remember such a dominant performance against Man United - even the 7-0 they were more in the game.

"If we play like this it is difficult for the opposite team to get out of their own half. The way United defended was clean with a lot of passion.

"If you score, it changes the dynamic of the game and they open up a bit and take more risk. But nothing changed, they threw everything in and in the end it's a 0-0."

The stalemate meant the Reds missed the chance to return to the top of the Premier League after being leapfrogged by Arsenal earlier on Sunday.

The atmosphere at Anfield, which was hosting its biggest crowd since 1963 after recent expansion, became increasingly subdued as the game wore on.

That was a stark contrast to the buoyant mood among many Liverpool fans going into the match.

With last season's thrashing of United fresh in the mind, and with the Red Devils coming into the game fresh from a 3-0 humbling by Bournemouth at Old Trafford last weekend and a Champions League exit, some pundits wondered whether an element of complacency had crept in for Liverpool.

Virgil van Dijk denies Roy Keane claim of 'arrogance' about Manchester United comments

Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk has denied Roy Keane's claim he was being arrogant in his comments about Manchester United after their goalless draw.

After Sunday's match at Anfield, Reds captain Van Dijk said "there was only one team trying to win the game".

Former United midfielder Keane, working as a Sky Sports pundit, said there was "arrogance coming out of him [Van Dijk], dissing United like that".

"I like Roy Keane, if he said that then it's fine," said Van Dijk.

"He is Manchester United throughout and I understand he could react like that but I felt what I said and there is absolutely no arrogance in that.

"Everyone who watched the game probably felt the same. We move on. We had the opportunity and we couldn't score and that's the frustrating part."

Liverpool had 69% possession and attempted 34 shots without managing to score against a United side that adopted a defensive approach to the game.

It was the first home game Liverpool had failed to win this season and meant the Merseysiders dropped a point and a place behind Premier League leaders Arsenal, who beat Brighton, after 17 games.

"Maybe [we were] trying to force it a little bit at times and we could have made a better decision but it was hard to break the low block down," added Netherlands international Van Dijk.

"You push, you push, you push and try to do everything in your power but it was one of those days we couldn't find the right decision to score a goal.

"At times - I won't say every time - we forced it too much to find a solution which wasn't there but that's football."

Nunes "full of fire" as Liverpool host Hammers

Liverpool forward Darwin Nunez is "full of fire" and cannot be judged only on goals, says assistant boss Pep Lijnders.

The Uruguay international signed from Benfica for an initial £64m in 2022 and scored 15 goals for the Reds last term.

Nunez, 24, has seven this term but is 10 games without a goal as the Reds host West Ham in Wednesday's Carabao Cup quarter-final.

"Darwin is playing a much better season than last year," Lijnders said.

"If we only judge players on the goals that would be so unfair, because when we reach our targets or really were there to compete, it was always about the collective.

"I feel there is a good connection between Mo [Salah] and Darwin, the way they see each other, assist each other. The way he defends for the team, goes, chases back, his counter press as well.

"He helps us a lot when we are deep and we can play with him as a reference. He is learning but I like a lot, and I think this guy is full of fire. That's what our stadium likes and that's what we need as well, to lead the line in this way. He can only become better.

Nunez's last strike for Jurgen Klopp's side came on 1 November in the 2-1 EFL Cup fourth-round win at Bournemouth.

"It's always with goals, if you create a lot, the goals will come naturally," Lijnders added.

"We are creating and sometimes you have to be a little bit lucky. He feels our trust; that's the thing we can give him."

Liverpool, who won their first League Cup in 1981 after a replay against the Hammers, are aiming to reach their 14th final and claim a 10th success.

They will be without the injured Alexis Mac Allister, Joel Matip, Andy Robertson and Diogo Jota for the visit of David Moyes' side, although Ryan Gravenberch, who was substituted in Sunday's goalless Premier League draw with Manchester United, is fit for selection.

Liverpool are leading 1-0 against West Ham at half time in the EFL Cup quarter-final.

Liverpool are through to the semi-finals of the EFL Cup after beating West Ham convincingly 5-1 at Anfield.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has told any supporter "not in the right shape" for Saturday's top-of-the-table Premier League encounter with leaders Arsenal to give their ticket to someone else.

Klopp - whose side are a point behind the Gunners - criticised the Anfield atmosphere during Wednesday's 5-1 Carabao Cup quarter-final win over West Ham.

The Reds galloped to their joint-biggest win of the season to book a two-legged last-four encounter with Fulham.

Yet, despite goals for his side from Dominik Szoboszlai, Cody Gakpo, Mohamed Salah and Curtis Jones, who scored twice, Klopp felt the atmosphere inside the stadium was flat.

That was even though it was just the second time there were 57,000 present after the opening of the upper tier of the Anfield Road Stand.

After Sunday's goalless draw with Manchester United, television pundit Gary Neville said: "The atmosphere was the worst I've seen at Anfield ever.

"I've always been complimentary of Liverpool fans. It's the biggest crowd they've had here in 60 or 70 years but it's the quietest crowd I've seen in this game."

And Klopp was no more complimentary after the win over West Ham.

"In the first half, when the boys played exceptionally, I was not overly happy with the atmosphere behind me," he said.

"I asked people: 'What do they want?' We changed a lot of things and we dominated West Ham like crazy and missed chances. If I was in the stands, I would be on my toes, 1,000%.

"I don't know if the Man United game was that bad that we have to say sorry we didn't smash them?"

Jurgen Klopp during Liverpool vs Westham post-match presser:

"I was not overly happy, I have to say, with the atmosphere behind me.

"I ask people what do you want? We changed a lot of things, we dominated West Ham like crazy, we missed chances.

"If I was in the stand I would be on my toes, 1,000 per cent. I don't know if the Man United game was that bad that we have to say, 'sorry we didn't smash them'.

“We need Anfield on Saturday. Without Anfield... they [Arsenal] didn't play this week, they prepared for this game and anyone knows a little bit about them will know that they will be prepared.

"We need Anfield on their toes from the first second without me being in an argument with their coach or whatever, we need you from the first second.

“If it's too much football in December, I don't know, sorry we have to play it as well, but, if you're not in the right shape, give your ticket to someone else."

Kostas Tsimikas: Liverpool defender 'out for a long time' with broken collarbone

Liverpool defender Kostas Tsimikas faces a lengthy spell out after he suffered a broken collarbone during their 1-1 draw with Arsenal at Anfield.

The Greece left-back landed awkwardly after a touchline coming together with Bukayo Saka and his momentum saw him knock over Reds boss Jurgen Klopp.

Liverpool's first-choice left-back Andy Robertson is already out injured.

Klopp told Sky Sports that Tsimikas' collarbone was "definitely broken" and "he is out for a long time".

Robertson sustained a shoulder injury that required surgery while on Scotland duty in October and is not expected to return until next month at the earliest.

Klopp said Tsimikas' injury "massively overshadowed" a largely positive performance for his side against the Gunners.

"It is hard for us to swallow with the Robbo [Andy Robertson] situation," Klopp said.

Klopp said he was not personally injured after being upended just inside the technical area.

He added: "I thought it wasn't really a problem because I had no pain. I would happily give my collarbone and he would be fit again.

"I was completely fine in that moment. I thought Kostas was as well but he said 'no it's broken'.

"Of course that's not cool directly in front of you when you are kind of involved. I wasn't sure if I fell on him or how it happened."

Arsenal winger Saka said his collision with Tsimikas was an unfortunate accident rather than the result of any malice.

"I heard he has gone to hospital and I want to apologise. I didn't mean it of course," Saka said.

"For me it was just a 50-50 and I've gone shoulder to shoulder with him. I didn't see him but he must have taken a bad fall.

"I didn't see that he went into Jurgen Klopp either. I was focused on running forward because I didn't think it was a foul."

British Asian man sues Liverpool FC over ‘racial discrimination’

A British Asian man is suing Liverpool Football Club, claiming it racially discriminated against him by rejecting his application for a job in favour of someone less experienced.

Asad Farooq, 25, has a degree in stadium and event management, and has worked for Tottenham Hotspur and at the Qatar World Cup, but was not invited for an interview when he applied to Liverpool in November last year for a job in administration.

The advertised role said the candidate would ideally “have experience of working in an elite sporting environment”, leading Farooq to believe he had a good chance of landing it.

However, he was subsequently told, in a message seen by the Guardian, that “the level of experience you demonstrated in your application was not as strong as the candidates that were taken forward for interview”.

After spotting that the person appointed to the role – according to their LinkedIn profile – had no football experience and just one full-time job since graduation, Farooq instructed Yunus Lunat, a lawyer who was the first Muslim to sit on the Football Association (FA) council and was ethnic minority representative on Liverpool’s official supporters’ committee.

Liverpool supporter Farooq, who lives in Birmingham, said: “As a south Asian, I’ve worked really hard to get my foot into the door and nobody seems to be giving me any opportunities.

“I’m more than capable of doing the [Liverpool] job. I’m not going to drop this, because they’re claiming that they are all about diversity, they’re claiming that they want south Asians to come into the football industry, but then they do these bad recruitment practices and don’t give us these opportunities.

“They’re talking about how they want to break down barriers but this is not breaking down barriers.”

Farooq said he has asked the club for its diversity statistics but it has refused to provide them.

The only publicly available figures are in the FA’s 2022-23 Football Leadership Diversity Code report, which sets a target of 15% of new hires in senior leadership and in team operations roles to be black, Asian or mixed-heritage. Liverpool’s results for new hires were 0% and 9% respectively, compared with 9.1% and 11.2% across all 54 signed up clubs. In interview shortlists at Liverpool, 82% had at least one male black, Asian or mixed-heritage candidate and 68% had at least one female black, Asian or mixed-heritage candidate.

Liverpool’s website says it is “striving to lead the way when it comes to equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI)” and the club holds the Premier League’s highest honour for EDI.

The club declined to comment on Farooq’s case while proceedings are live or to provide diversity data to the Guardian. It is anticipated that it will try to get the case thrown out at an employment tribunal hearing in March.

Lunat said when he approached Liverpool on Farooq’s behalf the club gave a different reason for rejecting his application, claiming it was because of his salary demands.

Farooq said it later emerged that the person picked for the role that he unsuccessfully applied for was only temporary and had been replaced by someone else, although they were given another job within the club.

Farooq, who also has more than 500 hours of volunteering with the FA as a team liaison officer, said: “If you’ve got an issue with diversity, how can you give somebody a position on a temporary basis when they clearly don’t meet the job description and then give them a full-time role afterwards?

“They could have come back to me and said: ‘Look, Asad, we’ve got an issue right now where this full-time employee that we’ve got coming into the club, it’s going to take a little while for him to come, this is the salary, are you willing to come for an interview?’”

Lunat, a partner at Ison Harrison in Leeds, said: “It is rare, if ever, that a real-life case will arise which can be used to emphasise that despite regular talk shops and initiatives, nothing will change unless there is transparency and a change in attitudes.

“Remember, we’ve always been told that there are no Asian footballers because Asian parents have focused on education. It seems that despite being educated and qualified, Asians do not get opportunities in sports administration.

“It is a sad indictment of the football workforce that there has been little if any improvement in its race demographics in the last 20 years and I am still churning out the same comments and statements.”

Liverpool staring Xi vs Newcastle United: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Konate, Van Dijk, Gomez; Szoboszlai, Endo, Jones; Salah, Nunez, Diaz.

Liverpool go two points clear at the top of the premier league table after beating Newcastle United 4-2 at Anfield. A great start of the year for them.

The energy of this Liverpool team is not human!

Shots has to be some sort of PL record.

Salah in the 2nd half was elite, world class, something you are very fortunate to see even on TV. After missing the penalty, he only came out stronger, the assist was genius and he also put away the next pen under severe pressure. LFC will miss this man for sure as he heads off the African Nations Cup.

Newcastle showed a lot of heart, their keeper made a lot of saves. But LFC's energy is too much for any team at Anfield.

Great game, worth watching the 2nd half again and again!

Top of the league on the 1st. :salah

Liverpool FC player injury update:

Liverpool midfielder Dominik Szoboszlai will miss the FA Cup third-round match at Arsenal on Sunday because of a hamstring injury.

The 23-year-old Hungary international suffered the blow in Monday's 4-2 win against Newcastle United and came off after 64 minutes.

"I can confirm it's not a potential injury - it is an injury," Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said on Friday.

"Muscle, hamstring. But now we have to see."

UPDATE ON TRENT AEXANDAR-ARNOLD

Liverpool confirm Trent Alexander-Arnold hyperextended his knee during the last game.

“Trent had a scan and he will be out for a few weeks”, club statement reports.

Sven-Goran Eriksson: Liverpool fans want to grant dying wish for lifelong supporter​

Liverpool fans have called on the club to enable terminally ill Sven-Goran Eriksson to realise his unfilled wish of managing the team.

The former England manager, who has pancreatic cancer with about a year left to live at the "best case", told Sky News' Niall Paterson of his footballing regret at never having taken the helm at Anfield.

Eriksson, like his father, has been a lifelong supporter of the Merseyside club.

In response to the poignant interview, supporters have backed the idea of the 75-year-old managing the LFC Legends side in a charity home match against Ajax in March.

The annual fixture raises funds for the LFC Foundation, which supports children and young people.

The suggestion was made by football YouTuber and LFC fan Douglas Horne, who posted on X: "Let's get Sven to manage the Liverpool legends v Ajax one last dream for him."

John Gibbons, a host of the award-winning Anfield Wrap podcast, told Sky News it was "a fantastic idea"

He said: "I think people would think it a lovely thing.

"He's a popular person, but knowing that he's got this dream of being a Liverpool manager all this time just kind of hit home for those Liverpool fans even more really."

He added: "We've got a legends game coming up in March, so a lot of Liverpool legends come back every year.

"It raises a lot of money for the fantastic LFC Foundation and there's maybe a role there to manage that team.

"It might be a legends game but it's always close to a full house at Anfield.

"A lot of great players, ex-players you know, play and it's a wonderful occasion.

"I'm sure as he's leading the teams out, you know this is Anfield, they will play You'll Never Walk Alone it'll feel like the closest thing.

"I've seen quite a few Liverpool fans mention that and I think it's a fantastic idea.

"It's not my idea, but it's one I've seen and I think it would be absolutely brilliant.

"Kenny Dalglish normally does it and he's done it loads of times, so I'm sure he'd be quite happy to pass it on to Sven because he's such a fantastic popular football man throughout the country.

"I'm sure everyone would love to see him do it."

In a direct message to Eriksson, he said: "It's always nice to have one more of us so welcome to the Liverpool family and of course to his father as well.

"We'd love to see you fulfil your dream and your dad's dream to see you manage Liverpool in this legends game.

"So if we can help you try and make that happen, that would be fantastic.

"But if not there is a space on the Kop next to me.

"If you'd like to come and watch a game as well you would always be more than welcome at Anfield."

There was also an outpouring of support on social media.

Steve said: "LFC let's make this happen. To make a dying man's wish has Liverpool's name written all over it."

Kristian Andersson said: "Let's all together show the true meaning of #YNWA and make Sven's dream come true, by having him as the #LFC manager in the legends game against Ajax!"

Football coach Paul Purse wrote: "As many have suggested, manager for the legends game would be a class touch @LFC."

Lifelong Red Dan Mathews said: "It will get done. It's what we do. It's why we're different Sven will get his wish I'm sure."

Speaking in his Sky News interview, Eriksson said: "My father is still a Liverpool supporter and I am a Liverpool supporter too, always have been.

"So I always wished to be the manager of Liverpool and that will not happen, but I'm still a Liverpool fan."

Liverpool FC has been contacted for comment.

Since revealing his terminal cancer diagnosis on Thursday, Eriksson said he had received "a lot of messages and phone calls" from former colleagues and players he coached, including from his days as England boss.

Between 2001 and 2006, Eriksson coached the so-called "golden generation" of footballers in the England team including Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Rooney and Frank Lampard.

While that squad did not manage to reach a major final, Eriksson believes the current crop is a "good team" and can win Euro 2024.

Source: SKY

Alert:

Liverpool want to keep Spanish midfielder Thiago Alcantara but the 32-year-old is attracting interest from Brazilian side Flamengo and Al-Ettifaq of the Saudi Pro League.​

Chris Sutton believes Bournemouth will secure a point against Liverpool on Sunday.

20240118_215504.jpg

You can't beat Klopp at these quotes!

GENL_PyWkAAXe5q

Jurgen Klopp admitted it was 'a shock' to watch his star man Mohamed Salah limp off with an injury during Egypt's Africa Cup of Nations clash with Ghana.

The Liverpool boss has said the club is waiting for further news on the forward's fitness in what could be a pivotal moment in this season's Premier League title race.

Sven-Goran Eriksson: Swede 'very welcome' to visit Liverpool, says Jurgen Klopp

Jurgen Klopp has said he was touched to hear of Sven-Goran Eriksson's love for Liverpool, and that the Swede is welcome to visit the club.

Former England manager Eriksson, 75, said this month he has "best case a year" to live after being diagnosed with cancer.

Eriksson told BBC World Service's Sporting Witness he is a Liverpool fan.

"It was obviously very touching news when you heard about it," said Liverpool manager Klopp.

"I heard for the first time about his admiration or love for Liverpool and that he was a fan for his whole life. I heard now about the Legends [game] and stuff like that. I'm not in charge of that.

"The only thing I can say is absolutely he's very welcome to come here and he can sit in my seat in my office and do my job for a day if he wants. That's no problem.

"Being on the sideline might be a little bit more difficult. To have him here and show him everything and how this wonderful club developed over the years, I think that's definitely something we will tell him.

"He can come over and have a few wonderful hours here, I'm sure."

Sweden's Eriksson was the first foreign coach to manage England and led the side to the quarter-finals of the 2002 and 2006 World Cup and 2004 Euros.

He also spent time in charge of Manchester City and Leicester City.

Celtic told £20m Caoimhin Kelleher bid would be accepted - loan-to-buy possible​

Football Insider revealed on Thursday (18 January) that Reds back-up goalkeeper Kelleher, 25, is ready to leave at the end of the 2023-24 campaign.

Celtic are on the hunt for a new shot-stopper with Joe Hart’s contract set to end in May – and the Hoops have been widely linked with a potential swoop for the Republic of Ireland international.

Liverpool
However, Liverpool are set to ask for a fee of £20million to part with academy product Kelleher – which would represent a club-record purchase for Celtic.

It is believed that no club is likely to come close to matching that valuation despite plenty of interest in the shot-stopper.

A well-placed source has told Football Insider that the Hoops could prefer a loan-to-buy deal for the goalkeeper if Liverpool reduce their asking price.

Kelleher is keen to leave Anfield soon to get regular first-team football elsewhere.

He has started 11 times across all competitions this season, conceding 14 goals and keeping two clean sheets.

The shot-stopper, who has fallen behind Southampton’s Gavin Bazunu in the international pecking order, is under contract with the Merseysiders until June 2026 after penning his most recent extension in 2021.

Celtic also have Benjamin Siegrist and Scott Bain on the books at Parkhead but will look for a new number one in the summer window.

The Hoops are eight points clear atop the Scottish Premiership this term but have played two more games than rivals Rangers.

Source : Football Insider

Mohamed Salah injury latest

Mohamed Salah will return to the AXA Training Centre on Wednesday to begin an intensive rehabilitation programme with Liverpool’s medical team on the muscle injury he sustained with Egypt last week.

The injury, which is worse than first feared, forced the forward from the field in the first half of the Africa Cup of Nations fixture with Ghana and an agreement has been reached with the Egyptian FA for Salah to undergo treatment in Liverpool.

Salah will immediately begin work with the club’s medical staff upon his return to Merseyside with a view to being back in action as soon as possible for club and country, giving him the best chance to return to compete at AFCON if Egypt, who qualified for the knockout stage with a 2-2 draw against Cape Verde tonight, continue to advance in the tournament.
SOURCE:https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/mohamed-salah-injury-latest-0

Pepijn Lijnders has provided injury updates on Andy Robertson, Curtis Jones, Dominik Szoboszlai, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Kostas Tsimikas.

Robertson is set to travel to Fulham on Wednesday night for the second leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final at Craven Cottage having been sidelined since October, while Jones will also be available after being withdrawn late on in Sunday's 4-0 victory over AFC Bournemouth.

On Tuesday, Lijnders also offered an update to Liverpoolfc.com on the status of Szoboszlai, Alexander-Arnold and Tsimikas ahead of the midweek fixture…

Robertson

"Let's start with Robbo because he trained yesterday with the team. It's now 13 weeks, he had his meeting with the surgeon to make sure that everything is right to go into full contact – it's clear. So he did a lot of work and really good rehab throughout the last period, so he's fit in terms of sports science. Now he has to get fit with proper team training.

"So that's a big, big advantage to have him back. We were waiting for a long time – he's one of our captains. I just met him in the canteen and he said, 'Pep, I have my tracksuit with me!' So he's pushing himself into the squad, so that's good. He will travel [to Fulham].

"Speaking about Robbo, I have to speak about Joe [Gomez] because he used this opportunity. This guy, what he's doing this season and the levels he's reaching when he plays on the right and then he changes games and plays in the centre. Then he plays on the left and he's ready on the left on the outside but then he has to play inside from the left as well.

"He's a really good example of what we are all about. One player or even two players leave and then you have a lot of players who can play in different positions and that makes our squad so, so strong. He deserves the biggest compliment because he's probably one of the most consistent players in our team."

You have to accept cookies in order to view this content on our site.

Jones

"When you play more games and when you are constantly in the team since a long, long time, you get also some small niggles. He already reported during the week some tension in his hamstring tendon. But yesterday [there were] no issues, so he was clear. And during the game it was more precautionary [because] we go 3-0 up and the guy, even if he's young, he acts like a senior, so he made the right decision."

Alexander-Arnold

"Trent is progressing well through his rehab, working hard – how he is as a guy, knowing how important the next weeks are. But he will back in the end of the week for team training, so hopefully he will be available for the FA Cup."

Mohamed Salah injury latest

"Dom trained yesterday with us, just one small-sided game, one-touch game, but played good, felt good, did some extra work with the sports science team. He is ready but tomorrow comes too early for him, so he will be ready for the weekend if nothing goes wrong."

Tsimikas

"Kostas is now four weeks after surgery, so he needs probably two more weeks because we need to make sure that the bone is strong and the bone is healed before he goes into first-team training."

Source: LFC

Klopp clarifies the Mo Salah injury situation: "Egypt and Liverpool both want the same thing, Mo Salah fit as soon as possible".

"If he stays in Africa and they can't do the proper threatment, it will just delay everything".

"We bring him here not to take him away from Egypt…​

Clearly Liverpool are in a pretty good place and as we mentioned earlier (07:13) a domestic treble and a Europa League is still a possibility albeit that's a long way off.

But they will also need to get Mohamed Salah fit, who picked up a hamstring injury in Egypt's 2-2 draw with Ghana in the Africa Cup of Nations last week.

However, Salah will definitely return to the Afcon if he makes a swift recovery and Egypt reach the final which is on 11 February.

"Egypt and Liverpool both have the same interest', we want Mo Salah fit as soon as possible," Klopp told beIN SPORTS after his side edged past Fulham in the EFL Cup.

"If he stays in Africa and they can't do the proper treatment, it will just delay everything, especially for Egypt if they go through the tournament.

"We bring him here not because we want to take him away from Egypt but just to offer the best medical treatment. It's all agreed. If Salah is fit and Egypt go to the final, it was always clear, he goes back, 100%. Mo wants that, we want that."

Record seven-times champions Egypt finished second in Group B with three points following three successive 2-2 draws. They play the Democratic Republic of Congo in the last 16 on Sunday.

There will be big upheaval in summer

Now it's up to the yanks to put their money where their mouth is and get a top manager and bring in the quality replacements any rebuilding will require big money

But I don't see a good outcome the fans will turn on FSG your might get a situation similar to what happened to the glazers.

"I don't know if Darwin is available. After 20 minutes, somebody stepped on his foot and it was painful. He left the stadium in a boot, and not a football one"

Jurgen Klopp says that Darwin Nunez is a doubt for the game against Arsenal on Super Sunday.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp on Alexis Mac Allister's impact: "Macca is the same in midfield as [Diogo Jota up front]. Like a football doctor. It is a wonderful story with his father, brothers and uncles, analysing games as a kid. I could not thank his father enough for that knowledge and education. Playing the position he plays the way he does is very very special. Super smart. And his contribution for all our play in possession is extremely important.

"We have had it in a few years during a time I was here when going well that everyone wants to write a book about an individual player They are all good, really good. That's why we are top of the table in the best league in the world at this moment in time.

"Are there any bad players in this team? No. The job is now about how good looking and fantastic they are it's really about us digging deep into the season and keep going, hold your breath, buckle up and go for it with these fantastic players. You want to see your potential, but consistency too. Go again, again and again."

Liverpool’s midfielder Thiago Alcântara is facing another spell on the sidelines after sustaining an injury during his brief comeback against Arsenal on Sunday.

The 32-year-old made his first appearance of the season as an 85th-minute substitute in Liverpool’s 3-1 defeat but felt a muscle problem during that cameo that is expected to require further treatment. It is another setback for the unfortunate midfielder, who has been plagued by fitness problems throughout his Liverpool career and whose contract expires at the end of the season.

A football fan who shouted racist abuse about Liverpool's Mohamed Salah and mocked the Heysel stadium disaster has been banned from matches.

Joel Barwise shouted when Salah's name was announced at Anfield on 21 October before the Merseyside derby.

BBC

Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold will miss the Carabao Cup final against Chelsea on February 25 due to his existing knee injury.

BBC

Press conference: Klopp's update on Alexander-Arnold, Salah and Szoboszlai fitness​

Jürgen Klopp today offered the latest fitness update on his Liverpool squad, with Mohamed Salah set to return to action at Brentford on Saturday.

The forward resumed full training at the AXA Training Centre this week and will come into contention for the Premier League clash, with Alisson Becker, Conor Bradley, Joe Gomez and Ibrahima Konate also returning to the squad.

The Reds will, however, be without the services of Thiago Alcantara, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Dominik Szoboszlai at Gtech Community Stadium.

Klopp told his pre-match press conference: "Mo is back in full training, [so] that brings him automatically in contention of course.

"Ibou is not suspended anymore, Joey is fit again, Conor is back, Ali is back, so that's all positive. Thiago, no. And Trent not [available], that's true."

Asked specifically on Alexander-Arnold and Szoboszlai's fitness, and whether they will be ruled out of the Carabao Cup final with Chelsea on February 25, the manager added: "How serious? Yeah, again, it's a super-intense period.

"People think about the final, which is fine absolutely, but before the final we have Brentford and Luton and I didn't think for a second about the final yet. 'He can't play the final?!' Yes, that's one game but we have before then there are two games, which is as bad that they cannot play.

"I think with Dom it will be around that time, we will see how it exactly works. And with Trent, a week or two longer. It is not great but it was not to avoid, actually, that it happened.

"I would say, I'm not sure Dom has a chance for the final but maybe, and Trent will probably be after."

Elsewhere, Klopp detailed the planning that goes into a player returning to action following injury, insisting that no-one is ever brought back ahead of schedule.

"I think we have to clarify a little bit... I was not really aware of it but I got now, somehow, the news as well there was a discussion we might have forced Trent back because two setbacks, that's true and it's really unfortunate then, nobody wants that and nobody is doing that," he said.

"But different cases, different scenarios and as long as I'm here we never forced anyone back and we will never do. We work in a high-performance area; it's like, if you [the journalist] have the same injury, you are fit after three days but the guys after four weeks because they have to sprint and stuff like this, whatever injury it is.

"It's always about that and we always try to catch the earliest moment. Unfortunately when we catch that moment, nobody speaks about it. Like with Macca, now recently with Diogo. That's a job we have to do.

"That’s pretty much all, but the last decision is then always by the player. If you would always listen only to the player then the players would play after two weeks and then it's a real problem.

"The boys were, in the moment when they played, fit but the situation told us differently because it happened again. We will never know if it would have happened anyway or it just happened because there was something before. We will never know.

"Very, very unlucky and unfortunate, absolutely. I had it a couple of times in my time as a manager, not only here. It can happen, it's not great but nothing else. It says nothing about the quality of anybody; the world we are living in [people may say], 'The medical department... I am not sure about that...' It has nothing to do with that.

"We have to bring the boys back as soon as possible but never sooner than they are ready, from our point of view."

It doesn’t surprise me.He got a rough deal and treated poorly, but his football knowledge is one of the best in the world.

Jurgen Klopp gives his blessing for Xabi Alonso to be next Liverpool manager

“Xabi is doing an incredible job,” he said. “[Even] if there would not be the rumours around, if you would have asked me eight weeks ago about Xabi Alonso, I would have gone ‘Oh my God’.

“The ‘dinosaurs’ if you want, [Carlo] Ancelotti, [Jose] Mourinho, [Pep] Guardiola, maybe me, we will not do it for the next 20 years, [but] the next generation is already there and I would say Xabi is the standout in that department.

“The football he is playing, the teams he sets up, the transfers he did, it was absolutely exceptional.

Liverpool’s injury crisis continues to deepen with the forward Diogo Jota ruled out for “months” and no return date pencilled in for the midfielder Curtis Jones or goalkeeper Alisson.

Jota and Jones were injured at Brentford on Saturday, adding to a list which extends to nine senior players unavailable and is less than ideal with the Carabao Cup final against Chelsea to come on Sunday as the club continues to fight on four fronts.

“We have Diogo with a knee issue ruled out – it will obviously take months,” Jürgen Klopp said before Wednesday’s visit of Luton. “Not available are Ali [Alisson], muscle injury – we don’t know how long it takes but it will take some time to come back – and Curtis with a bone/ligament issue is ruled out.

“Then we have the others where we think we will deal with it day by day. Longer term like Trent [Alexander-Arnold] and Dom [Dominik Szoboszlai] are on their way back but are not in team training yet so they are not available.”

Other players absent include the midfielders Thiago Alcântara and Stefan Bajcetic and centre-back Joël Matip (ACL). The striker Darwin Núñez was replaced at half-time of the win at Brentford as a precaution.

Mohamed Salah and Darwin Nunez are injury doubts for Liverpool’s game against Luton Town.

As #LFC prepare to take on Chelsea in the Carabao Cup final on Sunday, Jurgen Klopp said the pair will be assessed “day by day”.

Manager Jurgen Klopp believes Chelsea are "definitely" favourites for Sunday's Carabao Cup final but said a depleted Liverpool "will go for it".

The Premier League leaders had nine senior players missing for Wednesday's 4-1 win against Luton at Anfield.

Alisson, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Diogo Jota, Mohamed Salah, Thiago, Dominik Szoboszlai, Joel Matip, Curtis Jones and Darwin Nunez were unavailable.

Liverpool face Chelsea in Sunday's final at Wembley.

"We have to see [who will be fit for the final], but I said it before the game [against Luton] as long as we have 11 players we will go for it," Klopp said.

"Will we be big favourites? Definitely not.

"Since we [last] played them [Chelsea], they have improved a lot and it will be tricky. This was exceptional tonight."

BBC

Cody Gakpo declared himself delighted after Liverpool overcame their injury issues to record a vital victory over Luton Town at Anfield on Wednesday.

The Dutchman was on the scoresheet as the Reds, minus a host of senior players, secured a thrilling 4-1 win, coming from behind to net four times in a remarkable second half under the lights.

The result consolidates their position at the top of the Premier League table, and afterwards Gakpo reflected on the character shown by the team amid what manager Jürgen Klopp admitted were difficult circumstances.

“Obviously when a lot of quality is missing because of injury, the ones who are there have to step up."

“That’s what we want to do all the time, but especially now they are missing, we have no choice. That’s what we are going for: keep pushing each other to keep the level high, and that’s what we did tonight.”

Liverpool trailed at half-time to Chiedozie Ogbene’s early strike, but hit back in style after the break, with Virgil van Dijk equalising before Gakpo headed the Reds in front from Alexis Mac Allister’s cross.

“It was a good ball from Macca and I just had to touch it a little bit,” Gakpo smiled. “Good goal!”

He continued: “[We are] very pleased, obviously. It was a tough beginning to the game, I think, but we did well and created a lot of chances. Maybe we should have been a little bit sharper in front of goal but in the end it was a good win, an important one and we are very happy.

“We came in and obviously we were not happy because we were 1-0 down, but we created a lot of opportunities so we were hopeful and confident in half-time and the gaffer said the same. We just kept going and in the end the goal will come if you keep pushing, with the crowd behind us. [It was] amazing.”

Gakpo now hopes Liverpool can take the confidence from Wednesday’s win into the weekend, when they take on Chelsea in Sunday’s Carabao Cup final at Wembley.

“For me it will be the first time [in a final for the Reds], obviously, so I’m looking forward to it,” he said.

“Hopefully [we can] play a good game as a team and win the game, win the first trophy of the season and keep going from that point.”

He added: “[Wembley] is well-spoken of everywhere in the world, and in Holland as well. For me it will be the first time, so I’m curious but focused.”

Liverpool, of course, have already beaten Sunday’s opponents in 2024, triumphing 4-1 when Chelsea visited Anfield last month.

“Obviously if we play like that again it would be amazing, but every game is a game in itself,” Gakpo said.

“We have to go there really focused, together as a team, keep the confidence we got today and make it a great game.”

Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool manager calls Carabao Cup win 'absolutely insane'

Manager Jurgen Klopp called Liverpool's dramatic Carabao Cup final win over Chelsea "absolutely insane" as the Reds triumphed 1-0 after extra time.

Captain Virgil van Dijk's header in the 118th minute handed the injury-hit Reds a last-gasp winner at Wembley.

It gave Liverpool a record-extending 10th EFL Cup triumph in Klopp's final season with the club.

"What happened here was absolutely insane, these things are not possible," the German told Sky Sports.

Liverpool were without several key players through injury, including forwards Mohammed Salah, Diogo Jota and Darwin Nunez.

It meant that five players aged 20 or under featured, with the average age of Liverpool's team that finished the game being below 22.

"The team, a squad, an academy full of character. I am so proud I could be part of that tonight," said Klopp.

"The craziest thing is, we deserved it. We had lucky moments, they had lucky moments. The boys showed up, it was really cool."

BBC

Well done Liverpool on 1st trophy this season, to win it with so many players missing is a top effort. Also shows what a top manager does when he has to utilise his entire squad under pressure. The fact they are still in contention to win 4 trophies, like 2 seasons ago when they had a similar chance shows what a competitive squad klopp has built.

I think Liverpool fans will want at least 1 more if not 2 trophies this season when klopp leaves

Will this make any difference?
====
Jurgen Klopp on Thiago Alcantara still not available: "I don't know, a couple of things he has to do from a medical point of view... I don't know if it will mean he can play again this season".

"Can't say more about it".

Ryan Gravenberch was carried off on a stretcher in Sunday's EFL Cup win over Chelsea

Liverpool "need miracles" to ease their injury woes as they prepare to host Southampton in the FA Cup fifth round, says manager Jurgen Klopp.

Dutch midfielder Ryan Gravenberch, who has an ankle injury, is the latest player to join Klopp's absent players.

Mohamed Salah, Darwin Nunez and Dominik Szoboszlai are training, but remain doubts to face Championship side Southampton at Anfield on Wednesday.

On the injury list, Klopp said: "I wouldn't say it is much improved."

Gravenberch had to be carried off on a stretcher during Sunday's EFL Cup victory against Chelsea, although returned to the pitch - on crutches and wearing a protective boot - to join in with the trophy celebrations.

The 21-year-old Dutch international joins Alisson, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joel Matip, Thiago Alcantara, Curtis Jones, Stefan Bajcetic and Diogo Jota on the sidelines.

Klopp said he would to have to wait to see how winger Salah, striker Nunez and midfielder Szoboszlai came through a session on Tuesday before making a decision on their involvement against promotion-hopefuls Southampton.

Midfielder Wataru Endo is also a doubt with a knock.

"Ryan is not available. It could have been worse, but it is bad enough to rule him out of this game and the next game. We shall see," said Klopp.

"We need miracles for a few players, so I don't want to rule them out for too long. But it is touch and go with a lot of the boys who were not available for the final."

Liverpool's landed the first major silverware of the season by beating Chelsea at Wembley and aim to keep in the hunt for all four major competitions they are contesting against Russell Martin's side.

Liverpool have a big injury list at the moment

Does this affect their PL title race hopes?

XJh7tiG.jpg

Liverpool have a big injury list at the moment

Does this affect their PL title race hopes?

XJh7tiG.jpg
The man city game in march is probably the one where they will want players back for, other guys they may get by

Liverpool would look into any opportunity to bring former sporting director Michael Edwards back to the club.

The Reds are without a sporting director following Jorg Schmadtke's exit in January and boss Jurgen Klopp is to leave at the end of the season.

Edwards joined Liverpool in 2011 and became sporting director in 2016 before leaving in summer 2022.

He has already turned down one approach to return to the Anfield side.

However, the club's owners, Fenway Sports Group, hugely respect and admire Edwards and would explore any chance of getting him back before moving on.

Edwards brought in a number of key players during his time as Liverpool sporting director, including keeper Alisson Becker, defender Virgil van Dijk and forward Mohamed Salah.

He has been linked with a return to a number of clubs but instead works as a consultant for Ludonautics.

Ludonautics is a sports advisory business set up by Ian Graham, who was Liverpool's director of research from 2012 to 2023.

There is a degree of urgency in the Reds appointing a sporting director, with the contracts of defender Trent Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk and Salah running out in summer 2025.

BBC Sport

Liverpool would be prepared to listen to offers for Colombia forward Luis Diaz, 27, in the summer - if Egypt forward Mohamed Salah, 31, agrees a new contract.

Jurgen Klopp: “Mo Salah will not be ready to play tomorrow but he’s on the way back”.

“Maybe next week. Getting closer…”.

“Honestly I don’t think he is too far off… but he will not be available tomorrow”.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, speaking to Sky Sports: "Most difficult game we played because of the circumstances. Four games in 11 days is really tricky with the squad situation we have.

"It was super special. You could see it didn't go easy for us today in any part of the game. It's so hard. How we have four wins, I can't believe.

"Incredible assist in the very last second. Wonderful feeling. I'm really happy.

"I can't ask for more than what the boys are doing.

"Next Sunday would be a massive game anyway. Before that we play a difficult game in Prague. We have to keep going, recover."

Seeing the many injuries the boys have done incredibly well to still be fighting on all fronts. As for Diaz it depends if or not the next manager supposedly Xabi Alonso will want him. I see a player in Luis if he can improve his shooting more then anything else. It is important that we get Salah ready for the Man City match even if he has to miss the visit to Spartak midweek. More then any other player I want Thiago to leave us.

Liverpool are very keen to strike a deal for Bayern Munich star Jamal Musiala this summer, sources have told Football Insider.

The 21-year-old is rated extremely highly around Europe and has attracted interest from Premier League duo Manchester City and Liverpool.

It is understood that Bayern Munich have no intentions of losing Musiala this summer and have set a huge asking price of £100million.

Football Insider

Back