Sri Lanka v India l 3rd Test l Colombo (PSS) | 08/08/08 to 12/08/08

jan_Jamshed

Debutant
Runs
Colombo Test: Pitch will take bounce, assures curator

Colombo, August 6: : India need not worry even if it loses the toss ahead of the third cricket Test as the curator has assured bounce and movement for the bowlers in the pitch for the first few hours.

Unlike the Sri Lankans who are weighing all options of a new pace battery after the present ones failed to generate pace, the tourists have the aggressive Ishant Sharma who got vital breakthroughs even at the spinning track at Galle during the second Test.

"The wicket initially will have some movement for quick bowlers for a few hours on the first day," said curator Anuruddha Polonwita on conditions at the P Saravanamuttu stadium in Colombo.

He maintains it will be good both for the pacers as well as the spinners while conceding the track may be no different to the ones at the Sinhala Sports Club stadium in Colombo where the first Test was played as well as the Galle stadium.

"Though the bounce may be little more, it will be more or less like at SSC and Galle," Polonwita said. The curator, however, disagreed on blaming the pitches for the two Test matches ended in four days.

"If the bowlers bowl well they could have got wickets and if the batsmen had done well (in the first two matches) they could have scored runs," he said.

He said the same was applicable for the third Test as well which may not be very different on the later days of the match. The curator is of the view that bowlers like Ajantha Mendis can be effective on such a pitch.

http://cricket.expressindia.com/news/Colombo-Test-Pitch-will-take-bounce-assures-curator/345443/

atleast a match I can watch as there is assitance to seamers. It will not be a matter of win the toss and bat first as both sides have something to work with. Winning toss and batting first will probably still apply but then there is a chance that pace bowlers can take 4-5 wickets in 2 sessions. Watching spinners from day one is boring and on breaking pitch what is the point

This will hopefully be a cracking match.... can't wait ...

Sachin - 100
Sehwag - 50
Gambhir - 50
Dravid - 50
India 450+

Kumble - 7
Harby - 6
Zaheer - 3
Ishant - 4

India will win the 3rd test and the series.

Last edited:
bones20 said:
Sachin - 100
Sehwag - 50
Gambhir - 50
Dravid - 50
India 450+

Kumble - 7
Harby - 6
Zaheer - 3
Ishant - 4

India will win the 3rd test and the series.
The 2 are mutually exclusive

All depends on the toss for the Lankans, win and bat and they are in a good position already. Lose the toss and bowl and they are struggling already.

Is Malinga still injured? They need him.

For India, can the Old 4 all fail six times in a row? Would be surprising but you never know with the Indian batting line up.

India favorites but so much depends on the toss.

Cricinfo reporting that Patil will play in place of Karthik. Smart move.... !
Patil will score in this match.

Random Aussie said:
All depends on the toss for the Lankans, win and bat and they are in a good position already. Lose the toss and bowl and they are struggling already.

Is Malinga still injured? They need him.

For India, can the Old 4 all fail six times in a row? Would be surprising but you never know with the Indian batting line up.

India favorites but so much depends on the toss.

RA

Thoughts on your prediction of India being whitewashed before the series started ? :)

W63L35 said:

Smart remove regardless of how many mistakes Partiv may make, this series has shown the importance of Dhoni. He really is the backbone now....

Romali_rotti said:
Smart remove regardless of how many mistakes Partiv may make, this series has shown the importance of Dhoni. He really is the backbone now....

I was talking about Patil replacing Karthik - not Dhoni. Dhoni is much better keeper than Patil but Patil (with his current form) may edge Dhoni in batting..... but we'll see.

Romali_rotti said:
RA

Thoughts on your prediction of India being whitewashed before the series started ? :)

Dont blame him.. after asia cup and the first test, we had all thought it was a foregone conclusion.

Romali_rotti said:
RA

Well clearly it was wrong :D

Nothing wrong with hoping though...

W63L35 said:

You mean Patel.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS we won the TOSS, 30 percent of the match already in the bag... Come on boys lets bring this home....

now its Sehwag time, if he can put on some show, we're in a treat for a good competitive match.

Romali_rotti said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS we won the TOSS, 30 percent of the match already in the bag... Come on boys lets bring this home....

:( :( Any chance India might bowl? :D

Romali_rotti said:

I'd say 50%.
DAMN! :po:

Tony Greig is in the Comm: box for this test, hope he'll be in for ODIs as well.

Dammika needs some control, his is pacy but lacking line n length, could be expensive for srilanka.

Good pace and bounce from Dammika there - wayward but this guy has something about him, for sure.

cars112 said:
Good pace and bounce from Dammika there - wayward but this guy has something about him, for sure.
srilanka found one more bowler. if he can improve his line and control.

Gambhir showing no respect for Vaas. Coming down the track first ball of a test match! and then coming almost every next delivery effectively making SL look without any pacers! (the other guy is a debutant)

oh no Dravid in! Earth slows down its rotation in sedation.

Last edited:
Congrats Gauti on another well deserved 50 !

U r a class act, show how to bat to our A-nal retentive Dravid please !

Why is Dravid getting LBW so often? Sometimes I feel he is playing with his pad rather than bat.

Tony Greig: "It'll be interesting to see how the Aussies will go about this review system.... They are big on not walking.... I feel when this review system comes to play they will be tested... and some of them might actually visit the match referee's office...." (laughs)

Last edited:
Sachin gone LBW btw... Reviewed but decition stands. Prasad gets 3.

Last edited:
ridiculous batting performance, once again they throw away wickets to some new bowler.

hahahaha...oh man, i dont understand why Tendulkar asked for a review there. I cant imagine how he thought the ball hit the bat, the bat didn't even hit pad. The bat hit nothing :s. I want to see what Snicko has to say about this.

Sultanofswing said:
ridiculous batting performance, once again they throw away wickets to some new bowler.

Yeah I think the trick for Sri Lanka is to throw in a new player every match against India.

Looks like Tony Greig knows more about Murali than Murali himself :))

Pathetic performce by the 'supposedly' famed batting line up. A Ganguly duck from here should make my day better as that will see him forced out for good. Laxman we need for the Aussie tour coming up after that we can get rid of him too...

I think India will win this match

From the looks of it, its time for the fab4 to retire and pave way for younger generation.. very disappointing batting from India once again.. and Gauti is once again the lone warrior.. its always either him or Sehwag doing the job of both openers as well as middle order.

Even I would not have suggested that Dammika would destroy India on this pitch! Sounds like some debut for the lad. Lanka in a brilliant position despite losing the toss.

Pathetic and overly defensive batting

Ganguly can't go on defending his wkt forever. He'll have to take some risks. We need 250 minimum

cars112 said:
Even I would not have suggested that Dammika would destroy India on this pitch! Sounds like some debut for the lad. Lanka in a brilliant position despite losing the toss.

Good to see you contributing to this thread at a time of 'crisis' for India and if India happens to be in a winning position or end up winning this game make sure you dont do a dissappearing act.... :D

A little bit of pace has rattled India.

I think all those 120pkh trundlers put them to sleep and now Prasad has given them a rude awakening.

Romali_rotti said:
Good to see you contributing to this thread at at time of 'crisis' for India, and if India happens to be in a winning position or end up winning this game make sure you dont do a dissapearing act.... :D

You're like a broken record. I was posting when India were racing away to 50, posts which of course you deliberately choose to ignore just so that you can continue with this usual rubbish of yours.

kashif77 said:
A little bit of pace has rattled India.

I think all those 120pkh trundlers put them to sleep and now Prasad has given them a rude awakening.

Not really, Brett Lee, Shoib Aktar all had good debuts against India but we have tamed them later on. India has this weird fixture with making debutants looks like stars in the beginning and eventually bring them down back to earth....

cars112 said:
You're like a broken record. I was posting when India were racing away to 50, posts which of course you deliberately choose to ignore just so that you can continue with this usual rubbish of yours.

Well last time when India was winning in the 2nd test match your posts became fewer in comparison to when they were down.. :))

Romali_rotti said:
Not really, Brett Lee, Shoib Aktar all had good debuts against India but we have tamed them later on. India has this weird fixture with making debutants looks like stars in the beginning and eventually bring them down back to earth....

Don't let your mouth get over your head, who knows if Mendis gets a 5 wickets in this too? 18 wickets in the first two matches... and more coming...

PS: I just noticed, Murali hasn't even bowled yet, why the delay?

buddhika_s [B said:
]Don't let your mouth get over your head[/B], who knows if Mendis gets a 5 wickets in this too? 18 wickets in the first two matches... and more coming...

PS: I just noticed, Murali hasn't even bowled yet, why the delay?

Big words coming from a supporter of a team that look like a fart in the wind outside their home town.. Mate its not big words it is the truth we have tamed Lee & Akhtar......Didnt see much of you either during the last loss your team had, suddenly you come up with words like; 'dont let your mouth over your head' ?? kindaa cute actually :) ..

Last edited:
Prasad bowling at a lively pace, unlike his namesake of a few years ago who used to throw lolly pops. :)

Romali_rotti said:
Big words coming from a supporter of a team that look like a fart in the wind outside their home town.. Mate its not big words it is the truth we have tamed Lee & Akhtar......Didnt see much of you either during the last loss your team had, suddenly you come up with words like; 'dont let your mouth over your head' ?? kindaa cute actually :) ..

Well this really does prove that some Indians do get their mouth get over their heads, I'm not a Sri Lankan for once LOL I'm an Australian, Australian living in the US and just because I would take SL over India any day of the weak doesn't make me a Sri Lankan, so don't get carried away with your over assumptions.

"the last loss we had?"--- don't really remember it but the last time you guys were down there in the Aussie land, as far as I remember you got butt whipped like a bunch of goof balls.

Ganguly gone! Gambhir and Laxman need put up a big partnership. 300 is needed minimum.

Vaxman in. Last recognized batting partnership. How good is this Patel chap?

Momo said:
Vaxman in. Last recognized batting partnership. How good is this Patel chap?

He is meant to be doing very well for his domestic team. I'm not sure what he'll be like in this test match.

hahaha. What the hell was Ganguly looking at the umpire for?

Back