Sri Lanka v New Zealand | 2nd Test | 26-30th August 09

Status
Not open for further replies.

hur rizvi

Senior Test Player
Joined
Jul 17, 2009
Runs
25,137
Last match of the two match test series between Srilanka and Newzealand starts today

match is 50 minutes away from sheduled start!!!!!
 
Not really excited for this test series especially since the Ashes were much better.

Pretty much the only reason anyone would watch it is for some Waqar Younis classics.
 
TEAMS are:
Sri Lanka team
TM Dilshan, NT Paranavitana, KC Sangakkara*, DPMD Jayawardene, TT Samaraweera, HAPW Jayawardene†, CK Kapugedera, T Thushara, HMRKB Herath, KTGD Prasad, M Muralitharan
New Zealand team
TG McIntosh, MJ Guptill, DR Flynn, LRPL Taylor, JD Ryder, BB McCullum†, JDP Oram, DL Vettori*, JS Patel, IE O'Brien, CS Martin
 
If Sri Lanka wins this test will they become number 1 tests side? They are just 4 or 5 points behind Saffers
 
Cover Drive said:
If Sri Lanka wins this test will they become number 1 tests side? They are just 4 or 5 points behind Saffers

No they will retain the 2nd position if they win
 
Cover Drive said:
If Sri Lanka wins this test will they become number 1 tests side? They are just 4 or 5 points behind Saffers

I keep harping on the same point, but that is just laughable. Totally laughable.

That is like saying Zaheer Khan is only a few points away from Dale Steyn.
 
Random Aussie said:
I keep harping on the same point, but that is just laughable. Totally laughable.

That is like saying Zaheer Khan is only a few points away from Dale Steyn.

LOLs, will be interesting to see how the Indians here reply your assertion.
 
Prasad is playing here. He was taken to the cleaners by Pakistan A players the other day. He bowls fast but goes for plenty as well.
 
IAJ said:
Prasad is playing here. He was taken to the cleaners by Pakistan A players the other day. He bowls fast but goes for plenty as well.

Can't be much worse than Dilhara"has a slower ball" Fernando
 
Random Aussie said:
Dan Vettori 300 Test wickets. Congratulations to a fine cricketer.

Yes well done Dan, been a good performer for the kiwis over a long period of time, certainly had to work hard to achieve this landmark.
 
Muhammad said:
Yes well done Dan, been a good performer for the kiwis over a long period of time, certainly had to work hard to achieve this landmark.

Apparently the first left arm spinner to take 300 Test wickets.
 
Random Aussie said:
Dan Vettori 300 Test wickets. Congratulations to a fine cricketer.

Says an aussie, not bad..
 
Random Aussie said:
Apparently the first left arm spinner to take 300 Test wickets.

Is he also the first bespectacled bowler to take 300?

I guess Murray Bennett would've done it if the selectors had treated him better.
 
Muhammad said:
Is he also the first bespectacled bowler to take 300?

I guess Murray Bennett would've done it if the selectors had treated him better.

:))) :))) I remember him
 
New Zealand bowling with a lot of discipline in this match, Sri Lankan run rate is 2.6.

Unfortunately for New Zealand, their bowling is a lot more competent than their batting.
 
Random Aussie said:
I keep harping on the same point, but that is just laughable. Totally laughable.

That is like saying Zaheer Khan is only a few points away from Dale Steyn.
I didn't mean saying that Sri Lankans are as good as Saffers I wasjust curious to find out that approximately how many points you get by winning a test match. Honestly I had no intentions of comparing them whatsoever.....
 
Cover Drive said:
I didn't mean saying that Sri Lankans are as good as Saffers I wasjust curious to find out that approximately how many points you get by winning a test match. Honestly I had no intentions of comparing them whatsoever.....

Cheers CD, my rant was not directed at you. The rankings are the rankings.

But back when the Aus team was dominant we were heaps of points in front (as we should have been) and South Africa should be some equivalent number in front of a team that cannot win a sackrace in a foreign country away from their dodgy pitches.
 
Random Aussie said:
Cheers CD, my rant was not directed at you. The rankings are the rankings.

But back when the Aus team was dominant we were heaps of points in front (as we should have been) and South Africa should be some equivalent number in front of a team that cannot win a sackrace in a foreign country away from their dodgy pitches.
Yeahh I am aware of that.....I remember when Aussies used to be number 1 they were good 15-25 points ahead of second ranked team. Once Mural retires I see SL nowhere in top 4-5 slots
 
Random Aussie said:
Cheers CD, my rant was not directed at you. The rankings are the rankings.

But back when the Aus team was dominant we were heaps of points in front (as we should have been) and South Africa should be some equivalent number in front of a team that cannot win a sackrace in a foreign country away from their dodgy pitches.
Foreign Pitches................. Dodgy pitches
Australia............................ India
South AFrica.......................Pakistan
England............................. Bangladesh
New Zealend......................Sri Lanka
...........................................West Indies


As long as the majority of cricket played in those so called dodgy pitches (even windies have slow tracks these days) who cares!
May be the current south African team will win in sri lanka, but certainly not the current Aussie Side!
 
Last edited:
ask said:
Foreign Pitches................. Dodgy pitches
Australia............................ India
South AFrica.......................Pakistan
England............................. Bangladesh
New Zealend......................Sri Lanka
...........................................West Indies


As long as the majority of cricket played in those so called dodgy pitches (even windies have slow tracks these days) who cares!
May be the current south African team will win in sri lanka, but certainly not the current Aussie Side!

Wonder what the scoreline was last time we toured Sri Lanka? :13:
 
ask said:
Foreign Pitches................. Dodgy pitches
Australia............................ India
South AFrica.......................Pakistan
England............................. Bangladesh
New Zealend......................Sri Lanka
...........................................West Indies


As long as the majority of cricket played in those so called dodgy pitches (even windies have slow tracks these days) who cares!
May be the current south African team will win in sri lanka, but certainly not the current Aussie Side!

What exactly is your definition of a "dodgy pitch"? By the looks of it it seems to include any pitch prepared by a subcontinent team.

What about the seaming, lively pitches of NZ or SA - or even England? Why are they not "dodgy"?
 
kingusama92 said:
Not really excited for this test series especially since the Ashes were much better.

Pretty much the only reason anyone would watch it is for some Waqar Younis classics.


You mean any Pakistani.
 
buddhika_s said:
You mean any Pakistani.

Seems like someone hit a nerve. Anyways I agree, two boring teams with minimal flair.
 
buddhika_s said:
You mean any Pakistani.

Don`t get me wrong I like watching cricket that doesn`t have Pakistan in it. I just don`t feel this series is exciting, because Sri Lanka are totally dominating.

It gets quite boring when one team starts dominating like this.
 
kingusama92 said:
Don`t get me wrong I like watching cricket that doesn`t have Pakistan in it. I just don`t feel this series is exciting, because Sri Lanka are totally dominating.

It gets quite boring when one team starts dominating like this.

Any Test match with NZ in it is just somehow boring.
 
Kiwis batting line up is actually pretty exciting, just a bit green at present.

McIntosh I doubt will last long, but the others can all play.

Guptill however is short of a few cells upstairs, just been caught hooking, pretty predicatable!
 
Muhammad said:
Kiwis batting line up is actually pretty exciting, just a bit green at present.

McIntosh I doubt will last long, but the others can all play.

Guptill however is short of a few cells upstairs, just been caught hooking, pretty predicatable!
too many farhat, hameed and Butt there.
 
shane said:
What exactly is your definition of a "dodgy pitch"? By the looks of it it seems to include any pitch prepared by a subcontinent team.

What about the seaming, lively pitches of NZ or SA - or even England? Why are they not "dodgy"?
I got those words from random aussie, lets put it like that "dodgy pitches=flat tracks, foriegn pithes=seaming tracks
 
31 posts in this commentary thread and the score has only been mentioned once! and that was after 2 overs. We are well into the 2nd day. Lets keep this up.
 
Sri Lanka 416 - FTB expert Samaraweera scored 143

Kiwis 96/3 and struggling in reply. Just like in last test to many batsmen getting starts and getting out.
 
Amjid Javed said:
Sri Lanka 416 - FTB expert Samaraweera scored 143

Kiwis 96/3 and struggling in reply. Just like in last test to many batsmen getting starts and getting out.
You just had to spoil it didn't you?
 
ask said:
I got those words from random aussie, lets put it like that "dodgy pitches=flat tracks, foriegn pithes=seaming tracks

Yeah Australia is full of greentops. :))

And yes Sri Lanka doctor their pitches.
 
50 up for Luteru Ross Poutoa Lote Taylor

NZ's big pair battling it out well at present.
 
Kiwis finished 5 down for 170 odd... once again in big trouble!
 
kingusama92 said:
Don`t get me wrong I like watching cricket that doesn`t have Pakistan in it. I just don`t feel this series is exciting, because Sri Lanka are totally dominating.

It gets quite boring when one team starts dominating like this.


Well you said anyone, if I remember correctly and that include New Zealanders and Sri Lankans.

I'm just messing.
 
Does anyone know when is Sri lankans next test series in 2009 if they have one? Because I am scared of Samraweera.....he scored around 1100 runs and 4 hundreds, I hope Yousuf record is safe
 
^^ They have 3 Test matches in India around Nov/Dec, I doubt he can get 730 runs in one series.
 
2nd Test: Sri Lanka v New Zealand at Colombo, 5th day

Anyone following the game? Seems a very interesting game going on...
 
They are not going down without a fight and that is the only way to go down.
 
Standard NZ fare really, give the opposition a fright with a lower order revival without really ever getting close to a win.

Herath the Destroyer with 5 wickets. No chance Chris Martin going to hang around.
 
Murali gets Vettori and Sri Lanka win the series 2 - 0.

I believe their next Test series is against the Evil Empire in India. Will be interesting because the Evil Empire won't be able to do their usual trick of doctoring the pitch when they need a win due to the Sri Lankan spinners being better than theirs.
 
Man if Vettori had a half decent team around him they could be a force to reckon with, this series has basically been Vettori vs Sri Lanka.
 
Extreme Pace said:
Man if Vettori had a half decent team around him they could be a force to reckon with, this series has basically been Vettori vs Sri Lanka.

Yup that is the problem with NZ, they can put together about half a team of top class players but the other 5 or 6 are just club standard players.
 
I think NZ really need to get some good fast bowlers. Bowlers like O Brian can't get wickets, I would love to see Shane Bond coming back. :naved
 
Another good win by SL which only shows that how this Sangakara and his men are playing. SL has totally justifies their position as the second best team in the world right now.
 
SL have pretty much got all the ingredients to be a very, very good team, fast bowlers, spinners, solid middle order. I think there main problem is the opening slots, Tharanga only one I can see at the moment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top