West Indies (130/1) defeat USA (128) comfortably by 9 wickets in Super 8 Group 2 clash of ICC T20 World Cup 2024

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The 46th match of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024 is set to be a face-off between the co-hosts, the United States and West Indies. This crucial game will take place on June 21 at the Kensington Oval in Bridgetown, Barbados. Both teams are entering the match on the back of a loss.

The stakes are high for this match as it is crucial for both teams’ chances to advance to the semi-finals. The team that falls short in this match will be eliminated from the tournament. On the other hand, the victorious team will keep their semi-final hopes alive. Therefore, a fierce battle is expected between the two sides.

Pc5gbwA.png

Squads:

United States
Squad: Steven Taylor, Andries Gous(w), Nitish Kumar, Aaron Jones(c), Corey Anderson, Shayan Jahangir, Harmeet Singh, Jasdeep Singh, Nosthush Kenjige, Ali Khan, Saurabh Netravalkar, Monank Patel, Milind Kumar, Nisarg Patel, Shadley van Schalkwyk

West Indies Squad: Brandon King, Johnson Charles, Nicholas Pooran(w), Rovman Powell(c), Roston Chase, Sherfane Rutherford, Andre Russell, Romario Shepherd, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Gudakesh Motie, Shai Hope, Shimron Hetmyer, Obed McCoy, Shamar Joseph

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Taylor targets former teammate as T20 World Cup co-hosts converge

Steven Taylor has a former teammate in his crosshairs ahead of USA’s Super Eight meeting with fellow tournament hosts West Indies.

There will be an extra spice at the Kensington Oval on Friday night as Steven Taylor takes guard against the West Indies in their Super Eights T20 World Cup meeting on Friday.

With the Americans pressing on in their tournament push, Taylor has friend and former teammate Akeal Hosein in his sights, potentially facing off on the same ground the pair developed their friendship.

Taylor and Hosein, the World No.2 T20I bowler shared the Barbados Tridents (now Royals) dressing room across 2015 and 2016 seasons, and when asked as to who he wanted to take on, Taylor threw the left-arm orthodox spinner's name out even before the question was finished.

“(He’s a) good friend of mine. We played Tridents together in the CPL for two years.

“I know most of his tricks, so for sure I'll be hunting him first of all.”

Described as one of the most gifted players to ever come through the USA national team system, Taylor has been a prevailing name on senior American scoresheets for the best part of 12 years.

A key figure of USA’s rise through the old World Cricket League Divisions and T20 World Cup qualification pushes, Taylor has shown glimpses of his class at this year’s T20 World Cup, blazing a quick-fire 24 in USA’s chasing effort against South Africa in Antigua alongside his occasional off-spinning contributions.

An identical score on a tough pitch against India also gave mainstream cricket fans a peek of his capabilities, and a knock of note against fellow co-hosts at the top of the order would give his nation a chance of causing yet another tournament upset.

With Caribbean roots, Taylor admits he sang Rally ‘Round the West Indies in his head when the teams met at the 2023 Cricket World Cup Qualifier, but has serious sights of knocking off the men in maroon as an opposing player.

“At the end of the day I'm playing representing my real country where I was born and grown and I just hope that we can come over the line against West Indies”

“We came close (at last year’s 50-over Qualifier).

“We gave them a fight at the end of the day and we know that we have a chance of beating them once we play good cricket on the day.

“We're playing good cricket and the team is gelling well together and at the end of the day we know that we're going to be the underdogs for all teams that we played against in the Super Eights.

“We're just here to play good cricket and if we win, we win. If we lose, we lose.”

In a tournament where his team has made headlines in US sporting discourse and around the world, the dizzy heights of a T20 World Cup are a far cry from hairy moments in US national team cricket over the years.

Only a 13-run win defending just 145 in 2017 at World Cricket League 3 in Uganda saved Taylor and the American side from relegation to Division 4, and a sliding doors moment likely back into cricket obscurity.

Seven years later, the 30-year-old has taken the chance to reflect on the journey to the game’s summit, playing at a T20 World Cup co-hosted by his nation of birth, and shared by a region of his family’s roots in the West Indies.

“It's actually a great feeling being a co-host of the World Cup itself, playing games in our hometown (Miami, Florida), people actually chanting your name Taylor, or Jesse (Singh) or Aaron (Jones), people who were actually born in the USA.

“And to play cricket in your hometown, at a World Cup, is the biggest stage of life.

“It would never get better than that.”

Taylor targets former teammate as T20 World Cup co-hosts converge

Steven Taylor has a former teammate in his crosshairs ahead of USA’s Super Eight meeting with fellow tournament hosts West Indies.

There will be an extra spice at the Kensington Oval on Friday night as Steven Taylor takes guard against the West Indies in their Super Eights T20 World Cup meeting on Friday.

With the Americans pressing on in their tournament push, Taylor has friend and former teammate Akeal Hosein in his sights, potentially facing off on the same ground the pair developed their friendship.

Taylor and Hosein, the World No.2 T20I bowler shared the Barbados Tridents (now Royals) dressing room across 2015 and 2016 seasons, and when asked as to who he wanted to take on, Taylor threw the left-arm orthodox spinner's name out even before the question was finished.

“(He’s a) good friend of mine. We played Tridents together in the CPL for two years.

“I know most of his tricks, so for sure I'll be hunting him first of all.”

Described as one of the most gifted players to ever come through the USA national team system, Taylor has been a prevailing name on senior American scoresheets for the best part of 12 years.

A key figure of USA’s rise through the old World Cricket League Divisions and T20 World Cup qualification pushes, Taylor has shown glimpses of his class at this year’s T20 World Cup, blazing a quick-fire 24 in USA’s chasing effort against South Africa in Antigua alongside his occasional off-spinning contributions.

An identical score on a tough pitch against India also gave mainstream cricket fans a peek of his capabilities, and a knock of note against fellow co-hosts at the top of the order would give his nation a chance of causing yet another tournament upset.

With Caribbean roots, Taylor admits he sang Rally ‘Round the West Indies in his head when the teams met at the 2023 Cricket World Cup Qualifier, but has serious sights of knocking off the men in maroon as an opposing player.

“At the end of the day I'm playing representing my real country where I was born and grown and I just hope that we can come over the line against West Indies”

“We came close (at last year’s 50-over Qualifier).

“We gave them a fight at the end of the day and we know that we have a chance of beating them once we play good cricket on the day.

“We're playing good cricket and the team is gelling well together and at the end of the day we know that we're going to be the underdogs for all teams that we played against in the Super Eights.

“We're just here to play good cricket and if we win, we win. If we lose, we lose.”

In a tournament where his team has made headlines in US sporting discourse and around the world, the dizzy heights of a T20 World Cup are a far cry from hairy moments in US national team cricket over the years.

Only a 13-run win defending just 145 in 2017 at World Cricket League 3 in Uganda saved Taylor and the American side from relegation to Division 4, and a sliding doors moment likely back into cricket obscurity.

Seven years later, the 30-year-old has taken the chance to reflect on the journey to the game’s summit, playing at a T20 World Cup co-hosted by his nation of birth, and shared by a region of his family’s roots in the West Indies.

“It's actually a great feeling being a co-host of the World Cup itself, playing games in our hometown (Miami, Florida), people actually chanting your name Taylor, or Jesse (Singh) or Aaron (Jones), people who were actually born in the USA.

“And to play cricket in your hometown, at a World Cup, is the biggest stage of life.

“It would never get better than that.”

Good - i like it! First salvos fired. USA not taking a backstep here. Battle of the co-hosts! 👍

Without Monank patel USA team looks handicapped. Aaron Jones look so meek as a captain. Monank was on point. Who knows. They might have even beaten South Africa that day with him in the side.

West Indian bowling doesn't really have any X factors. Sure Akeil hosein has unique release. But all the others are kind of bowlers they would have already seen in club cricket.

What about Alzarri Joseph? He’s good.
He is the kind of bowler they will target. Ali Khan looks as quick as him. He is nothign unique. THey thrashed the living daylights out of SA bowling. These guys are nothing. If they don't lose wickets to Moti and Akeal they can make a match of it. West Indies cannot defend low totals or even par totals. But they can bat USA out of the game if they collectively click.

Honestly those pak team guys don't deserve your support with the way they played.. ali khan and jahangir are pak origin players in the USA team.. so support the USA team ! 🙂
Go USA USA USA!!👍
How this Jahangir is playing ahead of the likes of Unmukt Chand and Sami Aslam is a crime in itself.

Honestly those pak team guys don't deserve your support with the way they played.. ali khan and jahangir are pak origin players in the USA team.. so support the USA team ! 🙂
Go USA USA USA!!👍

Didn't know Jahangir was a Pakistani. I thought he was an Indian.

How this Jahangir is playing ahead of the likes of Unmukt Chand and Sami Aslam is a crime in itself.
True that lol ! Unmukt has some team discipline issues as far as I know and Sami Aslam i have no idea.. but yes- there are better players than jahangir though.

He is the kind of bowler they will target. Ali Khan looks as quick as him. He is nothign unique. THey thrashed the living daylights out of SA bowling. These guys are nothing. If they don't lose wickets to Moti and Akeal they can make a match of it. West Indies cannot defend low totals or even par totals. But they can bat USA out of the game if they collectively click.
Pace wise you can bracket them but quality wise Ali Khan is inferior. He doesn’t hit the same length consistently.

Bro- I am excited about today's game! Considering the way eng lost to SA today, USA actually played very well against SA chasing 190 and was almost there! If they can upset the WI - damn , that'll be some heck of a game tonight!👍

Bro- I am excited about today's game! Considering the way eng lost to SA today, USA actually played very well against SA chasing 190 and was almost there! If they can upset the WI - damn , that'll be some heck of a game tonight!👍
Fingers crossed

West Indies have won the toss and chosen to bowl first

United States
(Playing XI): Steven Taylor, Andries Gous(w), Nitish Kumar, Aaron Jones(c), Corey Anderson, Milind Kumar, Harmeet Singh, Shadley van Schalkwyk, Nosthush Kenjige, Ali Khan, Saurabh Netravalkar

West Indies (Playing XI): Johnson Charles, Shai Hope, Nicholas Pooran(w), Roston Chase, Rovman Powell(c), Sherfane Rutherford, Andre Russell, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Gudakesh Motie, Obed McCoy

If Brandon King is out of the tournament then West Indies need to bring Kyle Mayers into the side.

US are fearless and have nothing to lose. They may lose but they are not being timid

They have a bit of skill. Fearlessness alone is not enough.
Of course they have skill , many of their cricketers have played domestic cricket in other countries. But its still an inexperienced team at this level. They are not backing down when the lights get bright

What happened to that Patel guy who was the US captain initially and played some 2 games or so?

Is he injured and out of the WC for them?

West Indies will need to conjure up some magic with the bat if they want to win big. They will have to go very hard because US ain't exactly gonna roll over for 100 all out. Which is why I question the decision to play Shai Hope and Roston Chase today.

West Indies will need to conjure up some magic with the bat if they want to win big. They will have to go very hard because US ain't exactly gonna roll over for 100 all out. Which is why I question the decision to play Shai Hope and Roston Chase today.
You would've prefered Mayers and Hetmeyer?

They should rotate for 5 overs and go bang bang. Lot of pie chuckers besides spinners are there.

USA wanted to put a decent total on the board and give themselves a real chance. Poor batting in the middle there.

USA wanted to put a decent total on the board and give themselves a real chance. Poor batting in the middle there.
They should know they can score 60 runs in the last 5 overss if wickets are in hand. They just had to get to 100 by 15th over. Coach sure has to tell theses things. 31 runs in the next 5 overs is easy.

Who else then
I'm okay with playing one of Hope or Chase. But not both. If I had to pick I'd pick Chase for the extra bowling option that he provides. But an opening combination of Kyle Mayers and Johnson Charles is something you absolutely need to have. Both are hugely destructive top order bats.

I'm okay with playing one of Hope or Chase. But not both. If I had to pick I'd pick Chase for the extra bowling option that he provides. But an opening combination of Kyle Mayers and Johnson Charles is something you absolutely need to have.
Mayers has been in a poor run for a while which was why he didn't get picked same could be said for Heymeyer too but he isn't getting much games either.

Back