West Indies v England | 2nd ODI | Guyana | 22/3/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

12thMan

Senior Test Player
Runs
West Indies - Powell out and Baker in
1 Chris Gayle, 2 Lendl Simmons, 3 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 4 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 5 Kieron Pollard, 6 Dwayne Bravo, 7 Darren Sammy, 8 Denesh Ramdin (wk), 9 Nikita Miller, 10 Lionel Baker, 11 Fidel Edwards

England unchanged:
1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Ravi Bopara, 3 Kevin Pietersen, 4 Owais Shah, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Matt Prior (wk), 7 Dimitri Mascarenhas, 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Gareth Batty, 10 Steve Harmison, 11 James Anderson

West Indies won the toss and will bat first

Lets hope for a Gayle special today.

Hope it goes to the D/L again :)

Gayle with 3 fours in Board's over
Wi 15-0 after 3 overs

Simmons out ct behind off Anderson
WI 15-1 after 3.2 overs

Last edited:
Anderson looking good today whilst Broad looks rather ordinary.

2 big guns in now for the Windies.

Sarwan with 2 sixes in last 3 balls
Sarwan 45(51) - Chanderpaul 30(56)
WI 97-2 after 22.1 overs

WI 156-2 after 34 overs @ 4.59
last 10 overs 51 runs
WI takes batting power play

Chanderpaul hitting around in the powerplay. Last one was standing reverse sweep off Broad. Broad with 4 wides this over

Chanders 80(107) - Pollard 2(5)
WI 190-3 after 37.5 overs

Chanderpaul get ct at long leg. Chanderpaul asks the umpire if it was a no ball as it was high full toss (chest high) and umpire signals it as no ball

38.5 Anderson to Chanderpaul, (no ball) 1 run, full toss above waist height, but Chanderpaul's pulled it - straight down Harmison's throat at fine leg! What a catch from the big man, who keeps himself inside the line. But, drama here - Chanderpaul's asking the umpire why that wasn't a no-ball, as it was above waist height. And he signals it was a no-ball! Blimey. Drama.

Powerplay over
WI 200-3 after 39 overs

Last edited:
I like this WI commentator. I have heard him few times on radio commentary, but now is also doing TV commentary. Saw his piture in highlights forum - maybe Indian background and has a beard.

Chanderpaul reached 8000 ODI runs.

Chanders 96 (121) - Bravo 8(11)
WI 222-4 after 43 overs @ 5.16

Bravo ct at midwicket boundary. very good catch by Collingwood

45.2 Mascarenhas to Bravo, OUT, bouncer and pulled over midwicket - but what a catch by Paul Collingwood! Bravo absolutely nailed this pull and Collingwood back-peddled, taking the ball with both hands over his head while falling backwards. And he does well to stay inside the rope. Outstanding skill

WI 237-5 after 45.2
Chanderpaul 100*

Collingwood on hat-trick

48.3 Collingwood to Sammy, OUT, got him. Good, straight off-cutter which raps him on the back pad as he attempted to swing it over midwicket
DJG Sammy lbw b Collingwood 11 (10b 1x4 0x6) SR: 110.00

48.4 Collingwood to Miller, OUT, bowled him! Collingwood's on a hat-trick here, bowling Miller with a lovely little off-cutter which kept a touch low. Poor stroke though from Miller trying to cut it
NO Miller b Collingwood 0 (1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

WI 256-8 after 48.4 overs
Chanderpaul 107*

Windies ended up 264 for 8, lost their way in the latter overs, Chanderpaul got injured plus a little preoccupied with his 100.

Good stuff from England's dibbly dobblers at the end.

Decent score though, 2nd innings should be interesting.

Wonder if Stuart Broad will be punished for petulant behaviour towards Alim Dar? Really spat the dummy out and with no justification either.

west indies just simply does not have enough batting depth to be in the ODI top 4 or 5 in the world. they simply arent good enough.

gayle, sarwan, chanderpaul, bravo..... maybe ramdin... but thats it.. you cant be a good team with only 5 legitimate batsman

Bopara out bowled by Baker, inside edge

18-1 after 4.3

Last edited:
Bopara 14 bowled by Baker

4.3 Baker to Bopara, OUT, there's the breakthrough, Baker gets Bopara to drag into his stumps, a bit of a loose drive but he didn't get to the pitch...a shame as he'd started brightly, but that's a good boost for West Indies

18-1 after 4.3 overs - need 247 more @ 5.42

Good evening chaps and chapeses, any links to view? Though TMS is cool to follow.

Eng 36-2 after 8 overs - need 229 more to win

Last edited:
I sense a chance of a win, given the fair batting lineup and the good-ish start. just got to keep going.

67-2 (12.3), Shah 11* Strauss 22* run rate is good just need to preserve wkts.

Fifty from 70 balls for these two champions :))
Strauss 29(40) - Shah 22(43)
Eng 86-2 after 19.2 overs - need 179 more @ 5.83 an over

That ball had a slight swing on it from the point of release, Colly couldn't believe it.

On_the_up said:
That ball had a slight swing on it from the point of release, Colly couldn't believe it.

Okay, thanks. I'm TMS-ing! 63 deliveries since last boundary.

Strauss has to take more strike.
Strauss 35(47) - Prior 2(6)
WI 97-4 after 22 overs - need 168 more @ about 6

Last edited:
I knew WI were going to come back hard after what happened on Friday and they are doing just that!

Go West Indies!! :afridi

Gone!!

Prior gone! Ramdin takes a very good catch!
West Indies on top!

:out:

apparently the lights are going to be used in this match in case of bad light.

Heard on the radio earlier that Broad had some sort of argument with Aleem Dar today. What was it about? Stuart Broad seems to be making a habit of this recently.

Lights will come on today and rest of matches. They didn't come on last match as it was not agreed upon before the match. Friday the light problem happened at about 5:45 pm local time.

Broad was arguing about a wide ball on the leg side. From cricinfo

37.3 Broad to Chanderpaul, 1 wide, goes down the leg side, Broad not happy with the call but he just needs to get on and bowl

Broad having a word with Aleem Dar, he's always been warned this tour so needs to be careful

Last edited:
On_the_up said:
Heard on the radio earlier that Broad had some sort of argument with Aleem Dar today. What was it about? Stuart Broad seems to be making a habit of this recently.

Oh, I missed that. I did hear that Aleem Dar intervened because the apparent speed-roughing up of the ball by passing it along the field to the bowler during WIS batting.

filosofee said:
Oh, I missed that. I did hear that Aleem Dar intervened because the apparent speed-roughing up of the ball by passing it along the field to the bowler during WIS batting.
Thanks, no doubt it will be swept under the carpet by the media.

Strauss gets to 50, continues where he left off in the test matches, i.e. same pace of scoring.

They have to first fully display their defensive strokes and poses. It should be coming soon as ball got changed

30.5 Pollard to Strauss, no run, goes for a paddle sweep from outside off, doesn't make contact and this innings isn't really going anywhere

HAHA well strauss get a move on this is ODI cricket :)

And the pressure tells, Strauss hits it straight to midwkt and runs, Dimi the man out.

This isn't a good pitch for ODI cricket, ball doesn't really come on to the bat, the medium pacers are hard to get away.

On_the_up said:
This isn't a good pitch for ODI cricket, ball doesn't really come on to the bat, the medium pacers are hard to get away.

I think its a decnt pitch WI made 260 odd , some help for the bowlers even if its just the bowl staying slow and low,

im sick of matches contaning glut of runs and bowlers are lambs to the slaughter

Well if the pitch is slow they should bat outside their crease give them the charge.
Sehwag or Razzaq would murder these WI medium pacers !

Did Strauss finally hit a reverse sweep. I saw him missing 4 of them .
Well then it calls for another mukka at middle of pitch that players do so well these days

Zaz said:
I think its a decnt pitch WI made 260 odd , some help for the bowlers even if its just the bowl staying slow and low,

im sick of matches contaning glut of runs and bowlers are lambs to the slaughter
Something in it for the bowlers is good but it shouldn't be ball stopping on the pitch and not coming on to the bat. This is the sort of pitch you get in Sri Lanka where the first 20 overs are o.k then the dibly dobly bowlers and spinners come on and it becomes hard to get them away.

Harmison can hit it long, someone needs to, they are trying to up the run rate by taking risky 2s at the moment.

Has Strauss ever hit a six in his career? And howcome he's playing reverse sweep?

Strauss best suited as an anchor who will bat 50 overs for around 100 runs, but needs hitters around him to up the scoring rate. Here he has to be the aggressor and it's clear he's not suited to that role.

Fielder surprised by the lack of power in that shot, misjudges it and it goes for 4

211 for 8, another 54 runs needed from 36 balls and batting powerplay taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back