1st Test - England v India, Lord's

uzzie01 said:
by looking at the pic.. it musy have pitched way outside off stump! enough doubt there.
Doesn't matter if it pitched outside off; that rule is only when it pitches outside leg stump.

nice bowling by RP Singh and Zaheer Khan. Not easy to play them right now. Sreesanth wasted his spell

Umpiring can be very hard in these conditions...........the way ball is swinging , it difficult to judge LBW's.........!

151-2. Pietersen's wicket is the key. A solid/quick 70-80 from him would put England well on top. As it is England are on top but a couple of more quick wickets would even things up quickly. It's a shame that the weather is playing spoilsport.

No wicket's the key really. One partnership and it's probably game over for India. Even if we're bowled out cheaply, they'll still be chasing over 250, probably over 270. Anything over 300 would appear to be enough with the way they were playing the moving ball first innings.

India did'nt bat well enough, 250 will be very hard to chase, anything over 280 and its game over for India considering the batsmen's form and their ability to play agaisnt the moving ball.

neither team has really taken advantage of the other's falter so far, its an intriguing match so far

DHONI = the prince of flat track bullies ... (the king of that bunch is sehwag).

Shez said:
Our batsman surely are giving Dhoni & Shewag a run for their crown! :29:

if you mean Inzi, Yousuf and YK when you say our batsman then you are wrong! If your talking about people like Imran Farhat, Faisal Iqbal then you are right ..... but then we don't create hype at all about lassi-makers like those 2 .... i specifically chose Dhoni and Sehwag as royalty because they are over-hyped by their fans when they make runs on pancakes .... as soon as there is a decent pitch for bowlers they become club tailenders.

I think England are in a better position with 4 of their batsmen averaging 50 and 2 above 45.

If it down rain too much in the next to days at Lords England could and i hope win the test !!

Should aim for a 400 lead and then let India have a go with maybe 100 odd overs ..

Bat till tea, and then put India in and bowl em done. Infact with the rain, they may only want to bat till halfway inbetween lunch and tea and then slot india in.

Wow, this game is gonna be a real tight one, even though India don't have to face anyone...

need quick wickets tomorrow...chasing 300 is possible if we apply ourselves...but superb bowling from english bowlers today

wow.. this has been such an match interesting so far... i believe anything in excess of 300 would pose a real challenge for the Indians...

Osman said:
if you mean Inzi, Yousuf and YK when you say our batsman then you are wrong! If your talking about people like Imran Farhat, Faisal Iqbal then you are right ..... but then we don't create hype at all about lassi-makers like those 2 .... i specifically chose Dhoni and Sehwag as royalty because they are over-hyped by their fans when they make runs on pancakes .... as soon as there is a decent pitch for bowlers they become club tailenders.

no he means , your whole batting line up !

Shoaib Akhtar's Fan said:
wow.. this has been such an match interesting so far... i believe anything in excess of 300 would pose a real challenge for the Indians...

I would rather say anything more than 250+ would require some heroic effort from Rahul & Co. to get there. Indians normally don't bat good in fourth innings.

jusarrived said:
no he means , your whole batting line up !

please please don't say our whole batting lineup because by saying that you are putting class players like MoYo, YK and Inzi in the same bracket as players like Farhat and Faisal Iqbal... quite frankly to call those 2 guys batsmen is criminal.

Let's hope we get two full days cricket because we don't want the Indians to be saved by rain.

Play has now started and the sun is out and the skies are blue.

We are 77 for 2 (174 ahead)........anything above 250 will be difficult in the 4th innings for India to chase but to be on the safe side we need to get this lead to 350 or so. I cannot believe I am saying this but PLEASE Kevin, PLEASE........GET A CENTURY!

Hash said:
Let's hope we get two full days cricket because we don't want the Indians to be saved by rain.

Play has now started and the sun is out and the skies are blue.

We are 77 for 2 (174 ahead)........anything above 250 will be difficult in the 4th innings for India to chase but to be on the safe side we need to get this lead to 350 or so. I cannot believe I am saying this but PLEASE Kevin, PLEASE........GET A CENTURY!

lol...

We batting very slowly..........we have a good platform with batting to come. There is a possibility of rain so we need to get a move on.

Hash said:
We batting very slowly..........we have a good platform with batting to come. There is a possibility of rain so we need to get a move on.

I dont think you should worry bout the rain HASH, you guys have this game in the bag :11:

First ball from RP Singh cuts Pietersen up, between pat and pad and just missing off stump.

Romali_rotti said:
I dont think you should worry bout the rain HASH, you guys have this game in the bag :11:

England would like to add minimum 150 more (to reach 350) which might take up to 2 sessions. If rains spoils play equivalent to one session then it "might" be tough for England to get Indians out in 3 sessions.

I think england need to play fast and get India into bat asap!

Edged by Vaughan through the slips for 4. England playing far more many shots now.

102/2

Bowled him off stump flying outta the ground. Fantastic inswinger from RP Singh around the wicket and Vaughan on the drive gets the inside edge cannoning onto the off pole.

An emphatic "bowled him!" from Ravi Shastri :D

102/3 Vaughan out for 30

Last edited:
Vaughan goes

102 for 3 (199 ahead)

Pietersen cuts over point and it sails to the rope. Bad bowling from Zaheer

Make that back to back fours with a lovely cover drive. Pietersen on a roll now.

Back to back fours by KP, KP looking to take the game away from India, India need to get him out badly.

Collingwood drives through point first ball for 4. Bit streaky but they all count now.

GONE! Fantastic bouncer from RP Singh. Collingwood ducks into in, hits the glove and balloons to 2nd slip. That's a great suprise delivery from the left armer.

Collingwood out for 4

England 114/4

OUT!!!!, Collingwood gone!, good bowling from RP Singh!, 4 down, 6 to go!, KP wicket is very, very crucial for India.

Now Collingwood goes

114 for 4 (211 ahead)

Another 90-100 runs should seal this victory for us. Don't throw this away Eng (ger) land.

On the pads from Sreesanth and picked away to fine leg for 4. Awful ball that.

KP starting to get into his groove..........looking very dangerous.

128 for 4 (225 ahead)

Augustus said:
No wicket's the key really. One partnership and it's probably game over for India. Even if we're bowled out cheaply, they'll still be chasing over 250, probably over 270. Anything over 300 would appear to be enough with the way they were playing the moving ball first innings.
I disagree. I reiterate that Pietersen is the key. His wicket will determine whether we make 300 or 400, which psychologically would make all the difference.

Pietersen has looked a bit edgy all morning, not his usual self but RP Singh has bowled fantastically, that bouncer to Colly came out of the blue, and he has been the only Indian bowler to have a consistent line and length.

As long as the rains don't interfere, this should be a good match, its shaping up very nicely.

132/5 now. With Bell gone pulling RP Singh onto his stumps, 2nd time he's been out like that in the match. Bit unlucky as the ball kept down from the length it pitched.

Another wicket down. Easily India's session. We need these two to put on at least a hundred together. Somebody needs to stay with Pietersen!

OUT!!!, RP Singh on a roll!!!, just when it looked like the game was drifting away from India, RP Singh does it once again.

Last edited:
Another one for RP Singh, Bell gone too! Great bowling from him all day, thats his 3rd wicket!

Bell goes

Lead still 229 with 5 wickets in hand

Easa said:
Pietersen has looked a bit edgy all morning, not his usual self but RP Singh has bowled fantastically, that bouncer to Colly came out of the blue, and he has been the only Indian bowler to have a consistent line and length.

As long as the rains don't interfere, this should be a good match, its shaping up very nicely.
He's getting into his groove. All he needs is some support!

Are England trying to do a West Indies here? Trying to make a match out of what initially looked an easy roll.

Excellent session for Indians so far!

Flicked into the legside for 1 and that's 50 for Kevin Pietersen.

RP Singh bowled more bouncers than India did in the entire first innings!

purplehaze said:
So what you feel would be good score for your team to declare at?
Declare???

The rate at which the wickets are falling we won't have the oppurtunity to declare. 300 lead is a minimum though if we are going to collapse.

England only needs another 50 runs to put on a very, very challanged score for the Indians.

Kp can rescue and guide england to a decent total of 300-350 and english will be looking for a win here.

Vital 50 run partnership! Prior doing just what he needs to; hanging around with Pietersen.

Pietersen nearing a very impressive hundred. If he gets there, I'll have a greater respect for him and his abilities as a batsman. Tough conditions, delicate match position, not much support from the other end, and he's just batted better and better. Very, very impressive,

As I type he adds 10 runs in 2 balls!

100 for Pietersen! Fantastic knock yet again from Kevin. He is pumped up in his celebrations.

from England point of view, they should add 100 runs in this session and declare. then, the bowlers will have enough time to bowl out India.. I wish that doesn't happen!!

Cricinfo comentator: "Pietersen one short of his highest score against England" :))

He has amazing wrists Pietersen. Anything on off stump flicked away though mid wicket.

Back