2nd Test: Pakistan vs South Africa @ Port Elizabeth (Day 1)

Trust Pakistan to f*** up a great opportunity. Congrats Pakistan.

what was akmal thinking? why do u need to play the shot in the last over. Suicide absoultely suicide

TBH he was looking in good touch until he played that damn pull shot. When will these guys learn. Hafeez and Akmal have basically thrown their wickets away today!

And once again Akmal proves why he is just an average wicket keeper batsman. No, average is being too polite.

I'm really starting to doubt Kami's mental state. He drops sitters and then plays horrendous shots. Not one to cope with pressure it seems.

Uzzy said:
Trust Pakistan to f*** up a great opportunity. Congrats Pakistan.
Not the first time.now the bowlers have to repeat the same performance in the 2nd inngs.

this is a very bad batting performance...
All batsman got out to short stuff exept Mohammad Yousuf who wasnt out..
Imran Farhat:
Short pitched leg and midle and agling to his off stump

Hafees: Short delievery which cud have been pulled but didnt.

Hammed, short close to the of stump fishing and going hard at the ball.

MOYO; wasnt out indipper type bowl.

YOunis Khan.. getting out to because of bounce.

AKmal: playing a stupid shot.. going for the pull last over of the day...??? what the hell,,,
There is a man on the boundry..

Come on guys cut the guy some slack. Hafeez succumbed to the pull shot too, why picking on Kami?

Pakistan has "out choked" India and South Africa .. Spoilt my day by supporting these loosers

CrickFan said:
Pakistan has "out choked" India and South Africa .. Spoilt my day by supporting these loosers

Why dont you start supporting Australia? That way you wont be crying about your team choking. Sheesh some people!

UsmanCHADDA said:
Come on guys cut the guy some slack. Hafeez succumbed to the pull shot too, why picking on Kami?

So that makes it ok for Akmal? Atleast Hafeez didn't get out that way in the first test, Akmal repeated the same mistake twice.

UsmanCHADDA said:

casue of Akmal f***** up the whole day. He dropped two sitters and in the last over of the day, he plays a pull shot.

jeeeeeez guys!! you'd think pakistan were 22-6 or summink, its not that bad.

to be fair it was a bad shot but still at least we not as bad off as it could have been wen there were 3 down

Uzzy said:
So that makes it ok for Akmal? Atleast Hafeez didn't get out that way in the first test, Akmal repeated the same mistake twice.

No it doesnt make it ok for Akmal. Hafeez and Akmal both deserve criticism for playing two horrible shots

pak_all_the_way said:
jeeeeeez guys!! you'd think pakistan were 22-6 or summink, its not that bad.

to be fair it was a bad shot but still at least we not as bad off as it could have been wen there were 3 down

Well Inzi is the last recognised batsman. Do you honestly expect a 100 run partnership from him and the tail let alone a 50 partnership? Also dont forget the pitch is flattening up so whatever lead we have tomorrow SA will chase it in no time.

A poor shot to end the day by Kamran but Pakistan on top after day 1 and most of us would have definitely taken this at the start of play.

With Inzi being an excellent batsman with the tail we should be able to muster another 100 or so runs. Any lead above 100 is a strong one and South Africa are no Pakistan so it would be highly unlikely for them to win from such a position (being over 100 behind).

The ball is old now so Inzi should enjoy himself when he comes in. The first 30 minute are crucial.....if Sami can hang around for half an hour with Inzi we will see the South African shoulders drop again. Every run we get now is a run more to our lead......something none of us would have dreamt of when we saw Smith had won the toss and batted first.

Good stuff from Pakistan. Lost a couple too many wickets but we are still in control of this game. Another 100 runs are needed though.

We still have Inzi and we all know how good he can be batting with the tail-enders. If Pakistan crank the lead upto 100 somehow we are in with a big shout

UsmanCHADDA said:
No it doesnt make it ok for Akmal. Hafeez and Akmal both deserve criticism for playing two horrible shots

but playing a shot nevermind a pull shot in the last over with the wicket just having gone down and the tail next is method of madness.

UsmanCHADDA said:

But Akmal more so for playing a shot like that at the last over of the day! Could he not just bat the over out ensuring his wicket was still intact?

UsmanCHADDA said:
We still have Inzi and we all know how good he can be batting with the tail-enders. If Pakistan crank the lead upto 100 somehow we are in with a big shout

we are in with a big shout regardless of how many more runs we score. Even if we get bowled out now South Africa still start their innings on minus.

Good stuff from Pakistan.

Hash said:
we are in with a big shout regardless of how many more runs we score. Even if we get bowled out now South Africa still start their innings on minus.

Good stuff from Pakistan.

Hash, the pitch will start to flatten out by tomorrow and day after. One feels batting will be made easier and whatever lead we come up with could be chased comfortably.

Uzzy said:
But Akmal more so for playing a shot like that at the last over of the day! Could he not just bat the over out ensuring his wicket was still intact?

Hafeez got out at a crucial stage too. We needed a solid partnership so that a platform could have been laid for the batsmen to follow. Both were horrible shots and both were played at crucial stages

Uzzy said:
Hash, the pitch will start to flatten out by tomorrow and day after. One feels batting will be made easier and whatever lead we come up with could be chased comfortably.

Yeah. Didn't they say the pitch would be flat at the start of the test as well? What happened then? I wouldn't trust these South African commentators.....let them cling to whatever hope they have of South Africa being in a good position. The fact is this was Pakistan's day regardless of what the wrist slitters or South Africans say.

Great day for Pakistan, remember we dismissed them for 124 and still have 4 wickets in hand, including Inzamam Ul-Haq. Remember, our tail can fight and Inzamam isn't exactly a slouch with the bat.

We played well today, and dismissed South Africa for a paltry total. Well done and keep up the good work tomorrow.

Uzzy said:
I think the pitch was little damp with the rain ,as Khalil told.so it must get easened up as the days progress.

Uzzy said:

One of the commentators said that the pitch will quicken even further on day 2 and 3

UsmanCHADDA said:
Hafeez got out at a crucial stage too. We needed a solid partnership so that a platform could have been laid for the batsmen to follow. Both were horrible shots and both were played at crucial stages

Both shots were poor and at crucial times, correct. But we were at the last over of the day, YK had just fallen and what we needed was to play out the over with both Kami and Sami still there. He threw it!

Pakistan seized the initiative after bowling SA out for 124. They have lost far too many wickets , losing Younis and Kamran before close was a big blow.

Nonetheless Pakistan on top after day 1, but only just. We need to build a lead and hopefully Inzi and the tail can get us a 100 run lead.

Uzi said:
Pakistan seized the initiative after bowling SA out for 124. They have lost far too many wickets , losing Younis and Kamran before close was a big blow.

Nonetheless Pakistan on top after day 1, but only just. We need to build a lead and hopefully Inzi and the tail can get us a 100 run lead.[/QUOTE]

no Rana ,nazir,,,,,,,,all hope is on Kaneria :D

Easa said:
Great day for Pakistan, remember we dismissed them for 124 and still have 4 wickets in hand, including Inzamam Ul-Haq. Remember, our tail can fight and Inzamam isn't exactly a slouch with the bat.

We played well today, and dismissed South Africa for a paltry total. Well done and keep up the good work tomorrow.

I wouldnt call it a great day for Pakistan even though we are in a much better position than South Africa right now. Losing 6 wickets chasing a paltry score of 124 is the last thing you want from your batsmen

siddharth said:
Uzi said:

Nonetheless Pakistan on top after day 1, but only just. We need to build a lead and hopefully Inzi and the tail can get us a 100 run lead.[/QUOTE]

no Rana ,nazir,,,,,,,,all hope is on Kaneria :D

Shoaib and Sami are capable of doing as good a job as Rana and Nazir

Great Day for Pakistan ..How dumb can one get ? Do they even know what cricket is about ..

It wasn't the greatest day for Pakistan, but a better day than SA had. It's all relative and they're slightly better placed if they can replicate their bowling performance in the 2nd innings. 100-run lead could be crucial and be the difference, considering they're batting last. This Test might be done by Day 4.

Wait till SA bat in the second innings ...and then watch the latest chokers on the block crumble in the 4 th innings

Don't forget that Inzy's still to bat - but it would have been good if Akmal had stuck around, because Inzy might run out of partners.

CrickFan said:
Wait till SA bat in the second innings ...and then watch the latest chokers on the block crumble in the 4 th innings

Do you need an ambulance?

Tie the wound with a cloth tightly to minimise blood loss. You will be fine. Just sit tight until they arrive.

CrickFan said:
Great Day for Pakistan ..How dumb can one get ? Do they even know what cricket is about ..
I would not talk about being dumb. You are just a glory hunter.

CrickFan said:
why can't you wait for two days without getting restless and arriving at conclusions.i won't say a great day but a mixed up day.i expected more from Pak batsman than this.hope they will recover tomorrow.

Not a GREAT day but a good day for sure. Pakistan is definitely on top.

CrickFan said:
The username is a contradiction in itself...

we badly need 50 from inzy. Shoaib is probably the best tailander in the world so all is not lost. i expect them to score 300 with akhtar making 50.

OK day for PAK, could have been better.

My worst fear came true....PAK batsman couldn't handle the bounce...the pitch was not quick but still has appreciable bounce.
Myu senses says, PAK will take 60 runs lead and Saffies will bat much better....anything over 250 would be to much to get in 4th innings.

BTW good to see Shoaib back with bang and SAffies jumping & hoping around....:D

Go for kill PAK...don't give Saffies a sniff t'rrow.

Pathan007 said:
a score of 250 should be enuff after today's pathetic batting display by Pak.

I wonder what that makes South Africa's batting display :)))

Pathan007 said:
we shouldn't go by south africa's batting display. we better care about our own. ;-)

Well no. You need to make sure you are better than your opposition and so far we have been :19:

Hash said:
Well no. You need to make sure you are better than your opposition and so far we have been :19:

to be better then them we will have to score another 100 runs.

shan said:
to be better then them we will have to score another 100 runs.

Nope. We are already better than them. Still 4 wickets including Inzi to come.

100 run lead is what we want to put South Africa in the corner and down. We have them down right now but not quite in the corner.

Easa said:
I would not talk about being dumb. You are just a glory hunter.
You are entitled to your hackneyed comments .. People like you would even be happy if Pakistan drew against US cricket team ..I can't help it if your goals in life are low

Hash said:
Nope. We are already better than them. Still 4 wickets including Inzi to come.

100 run lead is what we want to put South Africa in the corner and down. We have them down right now but not quite in the corner.
Who is better will only be determined after the 2 innings are over .. You haven't seen Pakistan's record against SA ..otherwise you wouldn't be making that assertion .. If you feel that Pakistan will chase a score of 150 + in the second innings ..Then you are in for another rude shock ..But I like your optimism

I'm expecting some aggressive batting from Akhtar as awell.

Ideally we needed to get 300 as we don't really want to chase anything in excess of 125.
I expect the wicket to bed down and probably be at its best tomorrow. Just a greater crime then that we lost two late wickets. With only 4 down (which even that was probably one more than desired) we would have been handily place to press on.

The most I expect to get now is another 80 runs, although stranger things have happened at sea. A lead of 100 is still a long way away but it would be handy. However even then it may not be enough - if the Saffies get more than 250 in the 2nd Inns then we could be humbled in the final straight.

CrickFan said:
Who is better will only be determined after the 2 innings are over .. You haven't seen Pakistan's record against SA ..otherwise you wouldn't be making that assertion .. If you feel that Pakistan will chase a score of 150 + in the second innings ..Then you are in for another rude shock ..But I like your optimism

Well after 1.6 innings we are better than them. And after 2 innings we will be better than them which gives us a better chance of being better than them after 4 innings ;-)

You don't have to tell me about Pakistan's record against anyone.......I've been watching plenty of cricket for plenty of years. I'm not some two bit school boy who starts throwing his toys out of the pram at every second instance like you.

By the way, 150 in the second innings would be a walk. Since you mentioned records, please tell me the last time Pakistan needed 150 in the 4th innings of a test and lost.

Oxy said:
Boucher & Pollock are the 'old guard' - they are superb players and have got SA out of many holes over the years.

Removing them is the key.
I'm just too good:)

but oxy you wer saying this about SA first innings....which dosen apply here....so that makes me the sole genius n pp!

jusarrived said:
but oxy you wer saying this about SA first innings....which dosen apply here....so that makes me the sole genius n pp!
:D It applies in every inngs

Back