Australia v Pakistan | 2nd Test - Day 1 | SCG | 3/01/10

its.raja

Local Club Star
Runs
Temperatures: Min-18C Max-22C | Conditions: Partly Cloudy

From CricInfo:

Pakistan's plans for a positive start to 2010 were dealt a withering blow with the news Mohammad Aamer, by far his team's best bowler in Melbourne, has been ruled out of the Sydney Test with a groin injury. Following a disastrous 2009 campaign, during which they were cast as cricketing nomads after being stripped of host venue status, Pakistan's hopes for a resurgent year have encountered trouble at the first hurdle with the loss of their most penetrative bowler.

The SCG was the site of Pakistan's last victory over Australia 15 years ago, and the expected reintroductions of Danish Kaneria and Umar Gul into the attack should provide them with added pep. But the likelihood of three bowling changes from the Boxing Day Test will do little for team stability, although that is hardly a new concept to a Pakistani team well accustomed to tumult.

Australia, meanwhile, produced one of their finest all-round displays in the post-Warne/McGrath era in Melbourne and will be looking for a repeat performance. The evolution of Shane Watson and Simon Katich as a potent opening combination, the maturation of Mitchell Johnson and Doug Bollinger in their respective old- and new-ball roles and the rise of Nathan Hauritz auger well for a new decade and the varied challenges it will bring.

The hosts' primary concern surrounds the fitness of Katich, who is nursing an elbow injury. Phillip Hughes was on Saturday called into the squad as cover, however Katich's notoriously high pain threshold has him favoured to resume his place alongside Watson at the top of the order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not long to go now - the thread is open for your comments.

Thanks

Why do I have a feeling we are going to win the toss and bowl first? :))

ART Prime Sport is not working for some reason! :(:(:(

guys in the Middle East, help!

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:

its on showsports 2 or 3 now

bah, don't have Showtime :(

gotta pray for restored coverage or will have to streams

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:

yeah same i have e vision since morning ive been checking but its not working :S

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:

Its not working for me since abt a month now.

It was only today that I found that it has shifted on another channel.
The name ART Prime Sports does not come up, but the channel is there.

So try checking one of those 'spare' or 'test' channels on your decoder.
Possibly even the unnecessary free to air ones.

There has been some sort of behind the scenes deal between showsports and ART etc - they had been sending out some kind of sms msg but no one paid attention - until the end of the MCG test.

If you check the sched for showsports - 2/3 , you will see Aus/Pak and SA/Eng tests on that

MIG said:
There has been some sort of behind the scenes deal between showsports and ART etc - they had been sending out some kind of sms msg but no one paid attention - until the end of the MCG test.

If you check the sched for showsports - 2/3 , you will see Aus/Pak and SA/Eng tests on that

dunno 'bout that bhai, I called them up and they said "Technical Problem", let's hope it's just that...do you remember what the SMS was about?

saj001 said:
why oh why we are playing sami

i feel like crying

because aamer is injured,rauf has been sent home so therefore there is no other phaast bowler,so we chose sami brother

Last edited:
pakmania said:
because aamer is injured,rauf has been sent home so therefore there is no other phaast bowler,so we chose sami,do u see the light ?

I am sure he will be better than Rauf :yk

pakmania said:
because aamer is injured,rauf has been sent home so therefore there is no other phaast bowler,so we chose sami,do u see the light ?

i rather go with spin twin than sami

Oxy said:
Any confirmed starting XI?

well all the news are suggesting sami will play :(

i cant beleive how can this guy made his way back into the team :pissed:

Turn out on PP so far is relatively low for such an important test. Guys its snowing roads are a mess and I am driving around manchester(working) till lunch time and will rely on PP to get me some positive news from SCG. I am not asking for too much just an Imran farhat century before lunch or a Sami 5fer will do me fine.

saeed-sohail said:
Turn out on PP so far is relatively low for such an important test. Guys its snowing roads are a mess and I am driving around manchester(working) till lunch time and will rely on PP to get me some positive news from SCG. I am not asking for too much just an Imran farhat century before lunch or a Sami 5fer will do me fine.

:))) :)))

saj001 said:
i rather go with spin twin than sami

yeah but inti unfortunately thinks otherwise :inti mohammad talha or wahab riaz would have been a better option even rana naved caused australia trouble in the past and he was dropped :13:

Oxy said:
Any confirmed starting XI?
Oxy you have been watching pakistan cricket long enough and should know that we don't announce playing before toss so like a acha bacha wait.

saeed-sohail said:
Oxy you have been watching pakistan cricket long enough and should know that we don't announce playing before toss so like a acha bacha wait.

So many poster convinced they know who is playing, I foolisly thought lin up was confirmed!

saj001 said:
well all the news are suggesting sami will play :(

i cant beleive how can this guy made his way back into the team :pissed:

There are so many players in this team which most of us think why they are in team but in the end I think We have to support them because they are playing for Pakistan .I am not in favour of sami's selection because I think they are better bowlers are waiting for their turn .

I think we have a batting lineup already settled. It would be most interesting to see who makes the bowling lineup. So far Asif is the only certainty. Danish should be playing so should Gul. The fourth bowler is a tough one: Ajmal or Sami. I would go with Ajmal because Sydney is supposed to be a spinning track.

Lets give our predictions for close of play day1 here.........
Pak bat 1st. 287/6 Butt 78 Yousaf 72 Kamran 47*.
Aus bat 1st. 318/7.Ponting 123. Clarke 108*.

pakmania said:
yeah but inti unfortunately thinks otherwise :inti mohammad talha or wahab riaz would have been a better option even rana naved caused australia trouble in the past and he was dropped :13:

exaclty , well we can do is support our boys end of the day , doesnt matter who plays

Last edited:
saeed-sohail said:
Lets give our predictions for close of play day1 here.........
Pak bat 1st. 287/6 Butt 78 Yousaf 72 Kamran 47*.
Aus bat 1st. 318/7.Ponting 123. Clarke 108*.

Apperantly its a grenn picth and you expecting us to score 287 :))) :)))

We cant score 300 on flat pitch , how the hell we are going to score 300 on green pitch

gollumbird said:
I think we have a batting lineup already settled. It would be most interesting to see who makes the bowling lineup. So far Asif is the only certainty. Danish should be playing so should Gul. The fourth bowler is a tough one: Ajmal or Sami. I would go with Ajmal because Sydney is supposed to be a spinning track.

Yeah but the SCG isnt much of a turner nowadays,its lost its sting and we might only see turn on day 4 and 5

saj001 said:
exaclty , well we can do is support our boys end of the day , doesnt matter who plays

yeah at least we are playing test cricket at the SCG,a fantastic stadium and hopefully the 'boys' will perform inshallah :inzi

If we can dish out a small phainty it would be great,or at least show some fighting spirit and not be thrashed

pakmania said:
Yeah but the SCG isnt much of a turner nowadays,its lost its sting and we might only see turn on day 4 and 5

Ideally play 5 bowlers, but then we'll be 1 short batsman. In reality we won't lose much if we drop Bhanja or even Misbah...

gollumbird said:
Ideally play 5 bowlers, but then we'll be 1 short batsman. In reality we won't lose much if we drop Bhanja or even Misbah...

yeah we lack a flintoff,a decent all-rounder,a faster,younger version of razzaq or rana is needed but pakistan hasnt produced those sort of all-rounders since Imran Khan

good luck to Sami..i hope this match changes his careers and prove his haters wrong...

gollumbird said:

If we play Malik , he cant be worse than misbah .and we will have 5 bowlers and two spinners

kingusama92 said:
We want to see this from Sami today (if he makes the team that is).

Man he promised so much. If only he had a couple of brain cells upstairs. Woulda Coulda Shoulda...

Last edited by a moderator:
cricketpassion said:
If we play Malik , he cant be worse than misbah .and we will have 5 bowlers and two spinners

He is an all-rounder, but since a couple of years he is an all-rounder of nothing. Can't bat, can't bowl, can't field, can't catch. I would take ANYONE BUT MALIK.

cricketpassion said:

This is a poor attitude brother,accepting mediocrity

'This person should play,he cant do worse than that player'

We need players who can do a good job instead of terrible performers

saeed-sohail said:
Turn out on PP so far is relatively low for such an important test. Guys its snowing roads are a mess and I am driving around manchester(working) till lunch time and will rely on PP to get me some positive news from SCG. I am not asking for too much just an Imran farhat century before lunch or a Sami 5fer will do me fine.**
Bhai that is asking too much:)

cricketpassion said:
You qualify for the selectors job!

apparently its raining at SCG

we might as well bowl first

wht u guys think????

sohaib17 said:
apparently its raining at SCG

wht u guys think????

Yeah it's drizzling according to the weather websites.

Not sure about bowling first. Depends on the pitch and how severe the drizzle actually is.

For few Paksitani captains ideally it should be lose the toss. The decision Pakistan takes (or some captains take) if not giving favorable results will get a bashing. I can see a thread in first session on the bad toss decision

the thing is if its a stop and start and we bat first looking at our batting i can't see them starting after small breaks

they just don't have enough concentration level to play good long innings

12thMan said:
For few Paksitani captains ideally it should be lose the toss. The decision Pakistan takes (or some captains take) if not giving favorable results will get a bashing. I can see a thread in first session on the bad toss decision
thats the nature of pak fans they find holes everywhere .... thats why i liked younis he backed his decision and took full credit or bashing for it .. whether its playing fawad as an opener or letting aussies slip through in champs game

but his personality will be missed ... i just hope he continues his batting :yk

I see 1 umbrella up

live_image_00001.jpg

Is the Pakpassion timer wrong or something? Cricinfo says the match is going to start in 42 minutes.

This talk of green pitch is nonsense. Mark my words this won't be a green pitch it will be lively for an hour or so and then will flatten out.
I would bat first and ask my team to play attacking cricket and hope we post around 300 that will be a decent score for us and aus will bat last against kaneria.
If you guys think that we might get bowled out for 180 on a lively pitch are forgetting that we are well capable of achieving that score on a flat pitch.

Im so excited since my Dish went down again so i got Rogers and ordered CBN hopefully it doesent rain

pakistani said:
Im so excited since my Dish went down again so i got Rogers and ordered CBN hopefully it doesent rain
congrats .... rogers is the best cable service provider here .. i just luv them

nyways enjoy your cable experience

its a shame that they don't have CBN in HD .. i think its ATN's fault ...

Katich has failed a fitness test and is out of the team, Phillip Hughes has replaced him.

Good luck everyone. Let's get the popcorn ready.........

saeed-sohail said:
This talk of green pitch is nonsense. Mark my words this won't be a green pitch it will be lively for an hour or so and then will flatten out.
I would bat first and ask my team to play attacking cricket and hope we post around 300 that will be a decent score for us and aus will bat last against kaneria.
If you guys think that we might get bowled out for 180 on a lively pitch are forgetting that we are well capable of achieving that score on a flat pitch.

If there is any life in the pitch for the 1st hour, the aussies will exploit it to the maximum and Pakistan will probably lose most of its top order by the time conditions become batter friendly.

From cricinfo:
There was some rain early on, so play will be slightly delayed. Next inspection is at 10:15 local time.

There was some rain early on, so play will be slightly delayed. Next inspection is at 10:15 local time

sohaib17 said:
congrats .... rogers is the best cable service provider here .. i just luv them

nyways enjoy your cable experience

its a shame that they don't have CBN in HD .. i think its ATN's fault ...

i know man but for some reason Rogers ATN charge to much for big tournaments

tdigi said:
Katich has failed a fitness test and is out of the team, Phillip Hughes has replaced him.

Good luck everyone. Let's get the popcorn ready.........
That's bad news with aamir out I can see hughes murder Sami n co.

saeed-sohail said:
That's bad news with aamir out I can see hughes murder Sami n co.
exactly what i thought. he was found wanting against the shorter ball, and our key weapon is out

If Pak bowls first restrict aussies to 350 max,Both Sami and Gul not only tend to give away lots of runs but tend to give them quick.
Even chasing a small score will be very tough task for this batting line up though,
If they bat first then score 450,which not gonna happen,most probably they will score 310-340.

hey guys . Whats the news ? am i late for the toss or start?

ZAK said:
If there is any life in the pitch for the 1st hour, the aussies will exploit it to the maximum and Pakistan will probably lose most of its top order by the time conditions become batter friendly.
And then Umar and Kamran akmal get together for a counter attacking partnership of 200.

Back