England end Day 1 of the first Test against Pakistan on a record-breaking 506/4

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
England's preparation for the first Test of the historic series against Pakistan has been dealt a major blow after several England players, including captain Ben Stokes, caught a viral infection.

The unwell players have been advised to rest, and as a result, did not participate in the final practice session at the Rawalpindi Stadium on the eve of the match.

The ECB and PCB later stated they were in discussions regarding "the commencement" of the Test, with the PCB tweeting: "The PCB and ECB are in discussions regarding the commencement of the 1st #PAKvENG Test as some England players are down with viral infection. The PCB continues to monitor the situation, is in contact with the ECB and will provide further updates in due course."

The boards released a statement saying that the decision on whether the Test would begin on Thursday would be made before the Test match.

"Subject to the England players not recovering well enough to take the field on Thursday morning, the Test will commence on Friday and will be a five-day match," the release said.

"The schedule of the second Test in Multan and the third Test in Karachi will remain unaffected and will be played as per original schedule i.e. 9-13 and 17-21 December, respectively."

Joe Root fielded questions in the pre-match press conference instead of captain Stokes, and shed light on the situation in the camp.

"There's going to have to be Marcus Trescothick, Rob Key and Brendon McCullum – there's going to have to be a new top three for tomorrow," Root joked when asked for an update on the England squad.

"As far as I am aware, there's a few guys not feeling 100 percent. I didn't feel great yesterday and I woke up a lot better today. So hopefully it's just 24 hours of virus; don't think food poisoning or Covid or anything like that.

"It's just one of those things that we have unfortunately picked up as a group. We are trying to do absolutely everything right to make sure that we prepared really well for this game and sometimes life throws these kinds of things at you as a squad, and we just got to see how we pull up tomorrow and do be right and ready to go."

England had already named their playing XI for the game, with Liam Livingstone in line for his Test debut and Ben Duckett back in the side after six years.

Root said that England would still look to field the named XI, but admitted changes could be made if anyone fails to recover in time.

"It's hard to say," said Root when quizzed if everyone will be fit for tomorrow. "I have not seen anyone this morning. Literally got straight on the bus. Guys will do everything they can. Work really hard in that respect. Time will tell I guess.

"There isn't much you can do, apart from doing everything you can to fuel and hydrate. Do all the things away from the game that is going to serve you really well tonight in preparation for tomorrow. That's all we can do now. It's where we are at as a team.

"Sometimes you just pick up a bug and virus. When you are all tied together in one hotel, it can spread around. We have done everything we can to try and mitigate that. We have to see how things go today and tomorrow."

The series is crucial for Pakistan as they hunt for a place in the ICC World Test Championship 2021/23 Final. They are currently fifth in the table with a point percentage of 51.85 and will need to win as many of their remaining five Tests to remain in contention.

England's chances of making the Final remain mathematically possible, but they're realistically out of the race after a poor start to their campaign.

They are placed seventh in the standings with a points percentage of 38.6.

ICC

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be surprised if England players will be so well rested after this infection that they can play a Test!

They did and the cook is ill too

Too many nakhray from the English about food, and the cook couldn’t help. This is assuming it’s a food / water borne illness.

May as well have gone down all guns blazing and eaten some gola ganda, pani puri, et all.

Go ahead with test and allow both teams to do 2 subs during game like for like only. Would make it interesting

Virus, infection, stomach bug, any news what it is exactly?

All.

England had attempted to mitigate against the risk of illness by appointment their own chef for the tour, Omar Meziane, who has previously worked with the England men's football team. However, he was among those taken ill.

I though match had been pushed to Friday but crcinfo is showing it starts in a little over 3 hours?

The ECB has informed the PCB that they are in a position to field an XI, and, as such, the first Test will commence as per schedule today (Thursday, 1 December) at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.

The ECB has informed the PCB that they are in a position to field an XI, and, as such, the first Test will commence as per schedule today (Thursday, 1 December) at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.

Is it the same XI they declared day before ?
Or there are changes in it ?

There are four debutants in Pakistan line up today:

Saud Shakeel, Haris Rauf, Mohammad Ali and Zahid Mehmood

is this game going on. I just put the kid to sleep so oi can enjoy 1-2 hours of test bliss

There are four debutants in Pakistan line up today:

Saud Shakeel, Haris Rauf, Mohammad Ali and Zahid Mehmood

Where did you get this news?
They should have gone with abrar over zahid.

Zahid is being picked over Abrar? Is this actually happening for real?

How brain dead is the management and captain? Zahid has a 37+ FC average & is 34 years old. He hasn't even had a good domestic season and his own teammate was bonkers all season. Heck, Sindh themselves were playing Abrar over Zahid in some matches.

I am so utterly disgusted right now. Babar and Saqlain can both go at this point. It's clear their selections, tactics and strategy are just absurdly bad at this point.

Great news.

An illness going through a touring squad is a common enough occurrence after air travel or just things your immune system isn't quite used to etc in any country and I've never seen one delay a match before.

PCB video of playing XI

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 80%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/44w67m" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Great news.

An illness going through a touring squad is a common enough occurrence after air travel or just things your immune system isn't quite used to etc in any country and I've never seen one delay a match before.

Reminds me of Wasim and Inzimam’s case where they were both sick, throwing up the day before and Imran told em, you’re playing no matter what, your job is to think about how you’re going to play. Something along those lines.

I think Wasim’s was before a test and Inzi’s was in the 92 WC.

I’m sure many other teams back then had the same mentality.

Zahid is being picked over Abrar? Is this actually happening for real?

How brain dead is the management and captain? Zahid has a 37+ FC average & is 34 years old. He hasn't even had a good domestic season and his own teammate was bonkers all season. Heck, Sindh themselves were playing Abrar over Zahid in some matches.

I am so utterly disgusted right now. Babar and Saqlain can both go at this point. It's clear their selections, tactics and strategy are just absurdly bad at this point.

They’re fools. Saqlain never stands up to the captain from what I gathered from Shoaib Malik, and Babar the safety first guy had a hard time giving youngsters a chance when it matters.

He panicked and ditched Aamer Jamal the same way in t20s after an initial game winning performance in his debut.

It takes a guy to get injured and there being no other choice, and only then Babar will hand out a game to a youngster. M Haris, case in point at the WC

4 debuts Pakistan taking Eng too lightly, back in 90s Pakistan debut was handed over once in a year or too

4 debutants is too much

Looks like Pakistan are going with only 4 bowlers and keeping Agha in the lineup.

Just a bunch of dumb selections all around. Even if you think Agha is a better batsmen than Faheem, it's not by much and you have a good 5th bowler & 4th seamer.

Recipe for continuing disaster in Pakistan Cricket, persisting with Babar Azam as captain.

His selections reflect his captaincy IQ.

Recipe for continuing disaster in Pakistan Cricket, persisting with Babar Azam as captain.

His selections reflect his captaincy IQ.

Is this dictatorship? Or else how he can play Zahid over Abrar, is the system so blatantly corrupt, This make it impossible to support this clueless and corrupt lot.

Happy to see Saud finally getting his debut & he is in good form too & a great decision to get M Ali in too as he is in form

Good to see Saud FINALLY make his debut after being on the sideline watching for the last couple of years. Extremely well deserved. Same for Mohammad Ali.

It's the only positive thing to say about the selection. I still cannot comprehend Zahid Mahmood selection. For god sake, he bowls to you in nets... how do you not see what a mediocre bowler he is. With England's aggressive approach, I expect him to be taken to the cleaners.

Is this the weakest Pakistan XI in recent times? They will take 2 days to bowl England out and score 200 odd runs in their 90 overs of the day.

Great news.

November/December is really notorious with cold/flu sweeping through Northern, Central Punjab due to dry air and lack of rainfall. They are not being clear though if it is a stomach related bug or general cold/flu thing. I could understand delaying by a day if it was some bad stomach bug, causing diarrhoea/vomiting and atleast half of the squad was affected.

But delaying for seasonal cold/flu would have been a bit too much; yes it can cause great discomfort as well in its more acute form but normally athletes are supposed to have decent immune system and hence not expected to experience severe symptoms from it.

November/December is really notorious with cold/flu sweeping through Northern, Central Punjab due to dry air and lack of rainfall. They are not being clear though if it is a stomach related bug or general cold/flu thing. I could understand delaying by a day if it was some bad stomach bug, causing diarrhoea/vomiting and atleast half of the squad was affected.

But delaying for seasonal cold/flu would have been a bit too much; yes it can cause great discomfort as well in its more acute form but normally athletes are supposed to have decent immune system and hence not expected to experience severe symptoms from it.

It doesn't work like that. You can be an elite athlete but you need not have resistance to a particular strain causing common cold if they have never contracted it previously. .

Wonderful, Babar loses another toss. Pretty sure he has now lost 7 out of his last 8 tosses.

Wonderful, Babar loses another toss. Pretty sure he has now lost 7 out of his last 8 tosses.

He deserve all this bad luck, for his sick and clueless selfish intentions and putting his ego above team needs. First time ever i want England to thrash this Babar XI. We are going no where with him.

So, Bazball not blindly looking to chase. Players still not well enough to take the field?

So, Bazball not blindly looking to chase. Players still not well enough to take the field?

Stokes says he’s trying to get that name cancelled lol. Doesn’t sit too well with England it seems. I agree, it’s a bit insulting. Makes them sound like a bunch of brainless sloggers.

England with proper batting till no 8 with Will Jacks there. Bowling looks bit weak with more reliance on all round spinners.

Last edited:
If Zahid gets smashed this game and we lose, Babar should be stripped of captaincy in all formats.

Clearly there’s more at play in the selection than “experience” when you select someone with awful stats Vs spinner of the season.

Means his decision making gets clouded by friendship or something else. Aka not fit to lead men.

Stokes says he’s trying to get that name cancelled lol. Doesn’t sit too well with England it seems. I agree, it’s a bit insulting. Makes them sound like a bunch of brainless sloggers.

Babar apparently expects it to be a good wicket for bowlers in the first session, so maybe batting first is not a good idea after all. What is the wicket like? Grass covering?

England have won the toss and elected to bat in the first Test against Pakistan

5fa6830d-d428-4f6a-a549-ffd3c09ee324.jpgaaf646b2-368f-45f6-95d1-9427848455e5.jpg34236201-a7af-41bb-9cd9-c4c61ce6d56e.jpg

Good lord, he has also lost the 5 tosses in a row for Test matches. Last one won was vs Aus in that Pindi flat track.

He deserves all the L's for his garbage captaincy.

It doesn't work like that. You can be an elite athlete but you need not have resistance to a particular strain causing common cold if they have never contracted it previously. .

Yes of course thats true. But I would imagine they must have caught cold/flu somewhere along (maybe in India, BD or even Sri Lanka)

4 debuts with noob Agha Salman would be a miracle if it is drawn

If Zahid gets smashed this game and we lose, Babar should be stripped of captaincy in all formats.

Clearly there’s more at play in the selection than “experience” when you select someone with awful stats Vs spinner of the season.

Means his decision making gets clouded by friendship or something else. Aka not fit to lead men.

if system was this transparent and accountable this would never happen in first place my friend.

only positive will be seeing a Legend like Anderson doing hard yards on the phatta of Pindi:))

4 debuts with noob Agha Salman would be a miracle if it is drawn

Is his non existent part time spin make him more worthy than proper bowler or batsman. I think we are atleast a batsman shirt where as England have extra batsman, so let's see which approach wins? Batting heavy or bowling heavy.

Babar apparently expects it to be a good wicket for bowlers in the first session, so maybe batting first is not a good idea after all. What is the wicket like? Grass covering?

I think batting first is fine here. There will be movement through the air initially but that’s it

How is the crowd looking at the moment? I am in Pindi right in time for this series but I’m definitely not going to bore myself and go today.

Perhaps Day 3 or 4.

The crowd in Pindi for the Australia series was one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Zahid over abrar haha. I guess Zahid dismissed Babar in the nets once and abrar couldn't. Only reason I can think of because Zahid is absolute rubbish

There's not even a hint of swing...

Pakistan are a disgrace of the highest order.

Bazzball right from the go. 14/0 after the 1st over

Ramiz only wants to save his job. That's why preparing fattas to avoid defeat and not to attract criticism from losing. Pakistan don't seem like have an aim to reach the WTC finals, quiet content to earn easy draws and avoid defeats .

The graveyard of Test Cricket dont forget Aus had to grind for 14 sessions to induce a result

Ramiz only wants to save his job. That's why preparing fattas to avoid defeat and not to attract criticism from losing. Pakistan don't seem like have an aim to reach the WTC finals, quiet content to earn easy draws and avoid defeats .
Pak needs to win 4 out of 5 matches to reach WTC final and they came up with flat phatta.

It explains why Pakistan are only interested in hosting short Test match series. No one wants to watch these matches on these disgusting tracks.

Mohammad Ali will not pick a single wicket at this pace considering how flat the pitch is. Stuart Binny is a better dibbly dobbly bowler

Back