England v Australia | 1st Test - Day 2 | Cardiff | 8/7/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Aussie

Senior Test Player
Runs
6 and a bit hours until it begins.

Months of hype all gone now, the media wars irrelevant, all down to who performs out on the cricket pitch.

Can't wait can't wait can't wait!!!

I find it amusing how the Pom Poms are trumpeting the '05 win while totally ignoring the '06 flogging. But whatever. I won't get to watch it as I'll be at work, but I'll be following it on CricIndia (when they can pull themselves from the coverage of the IPL even if it's not in season).

Go Aussie!!!

Man I was hoping to see Lee here. Anyway - I think Siddle might turn out to be the standout bowler from both sides.

The Aussies are looking more dangerous than England Batting Wise , but England I think have an upper advantage in terms of bowling.

England are going to be absolutely smashed

OZGOD said:
I find it amusing how the Pom Poms are trumpeting the '05 win while totally ignoring the '06 flogging.

Yeah.... '06 didn't really happen. It was a sort of nightmare that we all woke about from and promptly forgot about.

Robert said:
Yeah.... '06 didn't really happen. It was a sort of nightmare that we all woke about from and promptly forgot about.
Don't refer to Jews and the Holocaust. That's offensive.

Its going to be a highly competitive series. Both sides are equally matched now, the abscence of Langer, Hayden, Mcgrath, Warne, Gillespie, Kasprowicz will make a huge difference. The likes of Johnson, Clarke, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Hauritz are not the same class. In fact the Aussie batting is more fragile then ever, Ponting bats under so much pressure these days and it tells in his foot work and mistakes these days.

Sad to see Lee not playing today :( , It would have been great too see him lead this spineless Aus attack

Wassixpakistani said:
Sad to see Lee not playing today :( , It would have been great too see him lead this spineless Aus attack

Man Lee is the one who makes it spineless.

Happy with MJ and Siddle, they are already better bowlers than Brett.

Siddle to wreak havoc is my tip.

Random Aussie said:
Man Lee is the one who makes it spineless.

Happy with MJ and Siddle, they are already better bowlers than Brett.

Siddle to wreak havoc is my tip.

oh come now , Neither MJ or Siddle know how to reverse swing the ball , If the pitch is a green then maybe Siddle can chip in a few wickets alongside MJ but If the pitch turns out to be a little more batting freindly then you need ReVerSe swing which Lee can do quite well at 90 MPH!!!!!!!!!! .

Lee = the most useless 90+mph bowler since Mohammed Sami

Wassixpakistani said:
oh come now , Neither MJ or Siddle know how to reverse swing the ball , If the pitch is a green then maybe Siddle can chip in a few wickets alongside MJ but If the pitch turns out to be a little more batting freindly then you need ReVerSe swing which Lee can do quite well at 90 MPH!!!!!!!!!! .

I have seen both of those bowlers reverse swing the ball. In fact far more often than Brett Lee....who managed to work it out age 30 or so.

And both bowlers have much better records than Lee. So not sure where you are coming from....

3 hours to go

2 hours 15 mins away from the start.

The weather is absolutely beautifu here in CArdiff today.

The sun has been shining since 6am - and its already very warm!

They hype, the atmosphere, the excitement in the City is unlike anything I have ever witnessed - and this city has hosted some massive sporting events over the years.

I'm almost wishing I had a tkt to watch some of the 1st session.

Having watched the nets session yesterday - I am in no doubt that Monty Panesar will be picked over Graham Onions - Onions was a virtual passenger yesterday, whilst Monty had 1-1 with Mushy, and then spent an hour batting in the nets!!!

Australian team have just arrived at the Swalec Stadium via coach.

With the recent rain - the outfield is very lush. Cant see reverse swing being a feature at Cardiff, as I cant see how or where the ball can get roughed up.

I think its Aus that have the selection worries - Hauritz & Hilfenhaus being the issues perhaps?

Intresting to see the team make ups. Will Aussies pick a frontline spinner? will England play 2 spinners?

Should be a very competative series.

England have WON the toss and will BAT first

Eng: Monty in for Onions.

Aus: Hauritz & Hilfenhaus in

Sun is out - it is really warm out there already!

Love Sky's graphics - very 'British Lionesque'!

wow-wie - I'm getting caught up in teh hoopla!

England win teh Toss & bat first

COME ON ENGERRLAND!

everything sounds perfect at the moment. Lee injured, winning the toss and batting. almost going a bit too well. I suppose they will be looking to tot up a big total and put men around the bat for Monty and Swann. Wonder how this Aussie team will perform in England, certainly appears to be the weakest Australian team to tour here in a while, although time will tell...

1st battle won

england pilling runs on the boards

2 spinners - ozzies batting last - pressure all the way

do they do national anthemns every ashes, i think england will win the ashes, aus are too weak with their bowling,

when is the next ashesh, cuz all u will be hearing is '81,'05, '09

Englands Task! Put runs on board and then apply pressure with 2 spinners. Intresting to see how much turn and bounce this wicket does take.

Aussies bowling line up doesnt hold to many demons in it!

hussein said:
do they do national anthemns every ashes, i think england will win the ashes, aus are too weak with their bowling,

Wales is the singing capital of the world!!! Its great stuff!

What an atmosphere as the teams came out!

god - where is teh ball by ball thread?

Johnson to open teh bowling.....

Billy Doctrove spoils this picture-perfect scene

England underway - Strauss flicks one to square leg for 1

maybe i was being ambitious - jeez this is nail biting stuff!

I dont believe they have Billy Doctrove as one of the umpires for this Ashes test!!!!! He is as incompetent as one gets.

it means a lot to english fans, they cheered so much after the first run as if they won the whole thng already

Somone please post the speeds the bowlers are bowling at.

Slowish outfield - affected by 2 days of rain.

Great venue!

1st boundary of the series

Man, I wish Sky were covering Pak games - I cannot state how I hate Asian cricket coverage!

thats it england - intent!

will have to watch this at lunch and leave early today

Johnson does not look right to me maybe his carrying a small niggle

Oxy said:
1st boundary of the series

Man, I wish Sky were covering Pak games - I cannot state how I hate Asian cricket coverage!

The difference in the quality of commentary is mind blowing.. Asian commentary is appalling!

sounds as tho teh ozzie radars are struggling with teh left handers at teh crease

too many deliveries into teh legs

I've started watching Pakistan matches on mute.. takes away from the experience but not as much as having to listen to rameez's meaningless drivel!

frz said:
I've started watching Pakistan matches on mute.. takes away from the experience but not as much as having to listen to rameez's meaningless drivel!

Apart from Waqar and maybe Manjraker, I'd BAN every Asian commentator - unless they chose to commentate in their native tongue

Devon Malcolm in the crowd!

17-0

Bound to be a few famous faces in the crowd on this historic day

Man, Im off to the ground! Theres a 'free' viewing area on the cycle path!

Wish I was working from home!

lol@"Ian Bell's 1* off 21 balls for Warwickshire. Good work, Belly "

The bowling look ordinary. Good start from openers so far.

21 - 0

Poor coverage of Ashes in CricketPlus which i originally subscribed for Pakistan - Sri Lanka.

A very low key start compare to 05 and 06 but there goes cooky boy lets see what our ravinder is made of.

1st wicket goes - Good catch takes care of Cook off BenH

21-1

KA$H said:
god this is boring- get some runs england!

You know this is test format. Look what T20 has done to Test cricket fans.

^ Fine delivery by Hiflen

Cook is gone. OUT!

Savak said:
Somone please post the speeds the bowlers are bowling at.

Hilfenhaus is up around 90mph, a bit quicker than normal
MJ usual pace, not top speed
Siddle warming up from about 85mph

There is no pace in this pitch, neither is there much bounce so doubt anyone is going to go all out on this surface.

Ravinder in next...

Attachments

• DSCF0625032 (720x477)1024 (720x477).JPG
    DSCF0625032 (720x477)1024 (720x477).JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 55
Ravinder takes one to the face from Siddel!

Great work from short-leg also

Aussies bowling has looked tame so far but they have taken 1 wicket.

Not Clark OXy, that's the great Peter Siddle. Lovely bowling and Bopara looks uncomfortable against the short stuff.

Random Aussie said:
Not Clark OXy, that's the great Peter Siddle. Lovely bowling and Bopara looks uncomfortable against the short stuff.
Yeah - I realised as soon as I posted :)

MalikMohsin said:
You know this is test format. Look what T20 has done to Test cricket fans.

^ Fine delivery by Hiflen

Cook is gone. OUT!

lol -come on dude - its all down to the lag caused by "watching" this via cricinfo

plus my caffine fix-fuelled excitement was beggining to wear off

The pitch is completely flat. It is kind of flat bounce which is offering fine bounce so far.

I can't blame Australian bowlers for that. This kind of pitch make any quality bowling side looks ordinary. Same case might be Pakistan bowlers in 2nd test which i strongly believe, will be in flat track.

That was nice bouncer. Straight to Bopara chest or close to neck i believe. Fine entertainment but no sledging so far. I hope BCCI is not interfering the Ashes to keep an eye on sledging between England and Australia teams.

Oxy said:
You beat me to it! Was always 'angry-man'

I always enjoyed Macca bowl espcially with his warm paint on his face and his angry face expressions.

Hilfy looks like a Demo Fleming clone as well. Flemo was one very good natural swing bowler.

Oxy said:
Apart from Waqar and maybe Manjraker, I'd BAN every Asian commentator - unless they chose to commentate in their native tongue
I like manjrekar but waqar is an embarrassment as his command on language is weak.
I use to like gavasker will never forget the way he backed pakistan during tough times in 92WC .
I remember when malik got out in semis he was in the studio and the presenter asked him what do you say now sunil your fav team is going out ?He replied if Javed was there with no 11 I would still back him to take them home.
And how right he was.

Big test of character for Bopora the aussies are all over him

Bopara will be having hard time to repond all the provoke, the sledging and staring contest.

Fine over by Hilf.

A very low key start compare to 05 and 06 but there goes cooky boy lets see what our ravinder is made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back