England v Pakistan | 1st ODI | Cardiff | 8th July, 2021 | Pakistan innings

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan travel to England looking to claim crucial Super League points on the quest for ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023 qualification.

England vs Pakistan, first ODI
Sophia Gardens, Cardiff
8 July, 01:00pm local

On the second away leg of their Cricket World Cup Super League campaign, Pakistan will look to emulate the success of their trip to South Africa, where they claimed 20 of the 30 available points with wins in Centurion.

The visitors face a completely new England ODI side to the one that took on Sri Lanka, after three players and four members of the management staff tested positive for COVID-19

All-rounder Ben Stokes takes the leadership reins for the first time in ODI cricket, having previously led England in a home Test against the West Indies last year. As many as nine members of England's squad are yet to play one-day international cricket, as the team travel to Sophia Gardens looking to extend their country's lead on the Super League table.

"Ben hasn't captained our ODI side before so it's a huge honour for him. We all wish him well and it's a role I'm sure he'll thrive in.

"It's an exciting group of players, with some young talent and some players who have impressed at domestic level over a long period of time."

REMEMBER LAST TIME

Pakistan return to play ODI cricket in the United Kingdom for the first time since 2019, where they took on England in a five-match series before the Cricket World Cup. While the touring side lost the series 4-0, they claimed bragging rights at the World Cup, beating the eventual champions by 14 runs at Trent Bridge.

In a high-scoring affair, contributions by the top five carried Pakistan to 348/8 from their 50 overs, with Mohammad Hafeez top-scoring with a 62-ball 84. Despite the best efforts of Joe Root and Jos Buttler who both made centuries, expert death bowling from Mohammad Amir and Wahab Riaz sealed matters late.

THE CWC SUPER LEAGUE SITUATION

Neither of the Pakistan quicks make their way back to the UK, though six members of the XI in that victory return in the quest to automatically qualify for the 2023 Cricket World Cup. Winning four of their six matches in the Super League cycle thus far, Pakistan claimed two home wins against Zimbabwe before their trip to South Africa, only denied of a sweep when Zimbabwe held their nerve to win the third match via a super over.

England currently sit atop the standings, with 65 points - 15 more than second-placed Bangladesh. They picked up 25 points in their recent series against Sri Lanka, with rain in Bristol denying a perfect 30 points after they had bundled the tourists out for 166.

Pakistan will face England in three T20Is after the Super League matches, before travelling to the Caribbean for their tour of the West Indies.

England Squad: Ben Stokes (captain), Jake Ball, Danny Briggs, Brydon Carse, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Lewis Gregory, Tom Helm, Will Jacks, Dan Lawrence, Saqib Mahmood, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Matt Parkinson, David Payne, Phil Salt, John Simpson, James Vince.

Pakistan Squad: Babar Azam (captain), Shadab Khan, Abdullah Shafique, Faheem Ashraf, Fakhar Zaman, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali, Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan, Salman Ali Agha, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Saud Shakeel, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Usman Qadir, Sohaib Maqsood

FIXTURES

8 July, 01:00pm local, Sophia Gardens, Cardiff
10 July, 11:00am local, Lord's Cricket Ground, London
13 July, 01:00pm local, Edgbaston, Birmingham

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it.

Last edited:
So nice to see Pakistan playing ODI'S again.

Hopefully Abdullah Shafique will get a go in the series.

Looking forward to seeing Saud Shakeel bat. I've watched him in the Quaid-e-Azam trophy, it will be interesting to see how he fares in limited overs international cricket.

The England team knew they couldn’t beat Pakistan so they sent an alternate squad to avoid the embarrassment

/s

Pakistan should win this and put up a strong performance. No excuses this time.

Some of these new English could surprise Pakistan especially playing home and with added motivations to grab regular places in England squad. Let us hope Pakistani seniors use their experience to unsettle them. I predict Pakistan to win first game and win the series 2-1.

What an opportunity for the lucky ones, maybe some of these newly drafted players might shine bright and get into England national side.

If we lose the first game, there is no chance we come back and win the series. This team doesn’t have what it takes. Most important game of the series.

If we lose the first game, there is no chance we come back and win the series. This team doesn’t have what it takes. Most important game of the series.

In any tournament or series, the first game is the most important one.

Unfortunately, we usually tend to be sleeping and lacking in our senses in the first game.

If Shadab is dropped (which I hope happens soon), we can bring Imad Wasim back into a batting all-rounder role and it would really take our team to the next level.

I think we'll win the series 3-0 if we play a balanced squad.

Rumour has it that Saud is playing today

Good for him, I think he deserves a call-up at this stage of his career.

If he impresses selectors here, there will be a good chance of him replacing Azhar Ali at 3 in tests.

I watch a lot of county cricket in England, this is going to be a very hard series for Pakistan , especially as this England side really has nothing to lose, Pakistan will do well to come away with a victory.

Fakhar
Imam
Babar
Rizwan
Saud
Maqsood
Faheem/Nawaz
Hasan
Qadir
Haris (Shouldve had Dahani in place of this bad bowler)
Shaheen

Will be interesting to see how the two poster boys of World Cricket, Ben Stokes and Babar Azam, captain.

England have won the toss and have opted to field

amzwoq2ySHWCNL9iHf2r_image%28304%29.jpg

l8tGtakRR0HgBR8LoMOp_image%28305%29.jpg

Last edited:
Looks a decent team.

Batting first with the extra batsman, we should be aiming for a 320+ score

Pakistan playing 3 all rounders🤦🏻*♂️ They clearly don’t back Hassan Ali as a batsman. Faheem or Shadab should’ve been dropped for Qadir.

Hmm, we have 4 accumulators and posters thibk we will get 320.. imam should be dropped, rizwan should open and saud should ve playing at 4

Pakistan playing 3 all rounders����*♂️ They clearly don’t back Hassan Ali as a batsman. Faheem or Shadab should’ve been dropped for Qadir.

Hassan is there to provide a quick 20 or 30 occasionally... while faheem has been a failure in odis. He should be rightfully dropped

Maqsood down the order I am very skeptical as to how he will perform.
Should have played only one of faheem and shadab, ideally none

Dinesh Karthik aka DK about to be deemed anti-national for commenting on Pakistan's game and praising Babar Azam.

Shadab over Nawaz today. Shadab will have to delivered as Nawaz has been usually doing with the ball since his return

Maqsood down the order I am very skeptical as to how he will perform.
Should have played only one of faheem and shadab, ideally none

I think in 50 overs cricket he is more likely to get some time to settle in in comparison to T20s where at no 6 you are more likely in a situation where you have to go from ball one. Lets see how it goes

Dinesh Karthik aka DK about to be deemed anti-national for commenting on Pakistan's game and praising Babar Azam.

well Indian commentators do commentary in Global events for Pakistan matches. How is this different and why/who will deem him anti-national.
Even on cricbuzz Harsha Bhogale has interviewed Pakistani players.

I don’t get why saud is playing today. Never seen the guy play any meaningful limited over inning In the domestic cricket.

That was Haider kind of dismissal with head falling a bit. Mahmood takes his PZ teammate

Worst start you could ask for. Can't even play against a B side.

Back