Pakistan (111/7) end their T20 World Cup campaign with a narrow 3-wicket victory over Ireland (106/9)

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan, led by Babar Azam, will face off against Ireland, led by Paul Stirling, in Florida in the 36th match of the ongoing T20 World Cup 2024, today on Sunday.

This match is a matter of pride for both teams as they have been eliminated from the Super 8 stage. Pakistan aims to conclude their T20 World Cup 2024 journey on a winning note, while Ireland is striving for their first and only victory in the tournament.

The only time the two teams faced each other in a T20 World Cup (in 2009), Pakistan won by 39 runs. However, recently in a three-match T20I series, Ireland beat them once.

nkV7L31.png

Squads:

Ireland
Squad: Andrew Balbirnie, Paul Stirling(c), Lorcan Tucker(w), Harry Tector, Curtis Campher, George Dockrell, Gareth Delany, Mark Adair, Barry McCarthy, Joshua Little, Craig Young, Benjamin White, Graham Hume, Neil Rock, Ross Adair

Pakistan Squad: Mohammad Rizwan(w), Saim Ayub, Babar Azam(c), Fakhar Zaman, Usman Khan, Shadab Khan, Imad Wasim, Shaheen Afridi, Naseem Shah, Haris Rauf, Mohammad Amir, Iftikhar Ahmed, Abrar Ahmed, Azam Khan, Abbas Afridi

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.​

My prediction. Last match of Babar as captain he might himself announce leaving captaincy today.

Pak wil absolutely demolish Ierish because there is no pressure anymore.

Ireland recently won the tri-nations series v The Netherlands and Scotland without losing a game. Both those other sides have played well in this tournament. Hope Ireland can do themselves justice today.

They have to get on the pitch first, and if a 4th game is abandoned this would reiterate it as the biggest farce of a World Cup ever!

They have to get on the pitch first, and if a 4th game is abandoned this would reiterate it as the biggest farce of a World Cup ever!
According to a weather monitoring site:

The chances of rain have significantly reduced. The main issue will be the water drainage, muddy, and Damp conditions.

NcpyHBe.png

My prediction. Last match of Babar as captain he might himself announce leaving captaincy today.

Pak wil absolutely demolish Ierish because there is no pressure anymore.
Ok. My prediction. He wont leave by himself. He will fight tooth and nail to remain captain. :afridi

Anyways, if today's game happens... I wonder if the bench will get a chance to play.

This ground has bare minimum standard of drainage, it’s terrible. Found out about this right after the Sri Lanka v Nepal game.

Knew before-hand that rain might stay away but we won’t get a game.

Can you please also tell us what you would like them to say so they can do that?
They can say whatever they want. I will just highlight it so it doesn’t pass unnoticed.

Nothing fancy here to be highlighted.

Just a PSL team page showing support for Pakistan.

do you find anything wrong here??
I see what I want to see.

you don’t have to see it from my perspective. That’s your right

This match shouldn't happen.

If some of the losers play well in this match against mighty Irish they might get lucky and escape the punishment. That should not happen.
Hopefully there is no match today.

I see what I want to see.

you don’t have to see it from my perspective. That’s your right
But I want to know what is behind the curtain stuff you are seeing. Maybe I am not able to see.

You will never be able to see it from my perspective. We are not the same, and I respect your indifference to me.
Sure, No problem.

But today's game is a dead rubber for sure. Pakistan might lose this one as well.

Match being called off might be the best result......there's a big possibility, based on recent events, that Ireland could actually win.....which would mean Pakistan come away with a sole victory against Canada. That would rub even more salt into the wound. Pakistani cricket is at a low, but we've been lower before and came back. We will come back again, that's the unique position we find ourselves in, both as a team and as supporters of the team. Frustrating yes......but deep down, I think we all thrive on the famous unpredictability of Pakistani cricket. We all know the famous quote now......"one minute down, the next minute up'........

Match being called off might be the best result......there's a big possibility, based on recent events, that Ireland could actually win.....which would mean Pakistan come away with a sole victory against Canada. That would rub even more salt into the wound. Pakistani cricket is at a low, but we've been lower before and came back. We will come back again, that's the unique position we find ourselves in, both as a team and as supporters of the team. Frustrating yes......but deep down, I think we all thrive on the famous unpredictability of Pakistani cricket. We all know the famous quote now......"one minute down, the next minute up'........
Nope, this is the lowest point. Pathetic team selection, a very afraid and timid captain and a squad acting like tourists.

It will take years to recover from this mess.

Michael Vaughan, while speaking on a program on a sports media outlet ahead of the Group A encounter between Pakistan and Ireland in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024:

"I guess there's a lot more pressure on Pakistan. They've already lost to the United States. They should have beaten India. I wouldn't want to go back to Pakistan if they lose to Ireland as well."

"They'll want to beat Ireland. Yes, it's just one of those games where we've seen Pakistan struggle in the past. This is a bit of a banana skin for Pakistan. Ireland haven't been at their best either. This is one of the first World Cups I've watched where Ireland usually plays to their potential, but they just come up against teams that are better."

"I don't think Ireland have played to their potential in this World Cup; they've played below that, which will disappoint them. So they'll fancy going home with a decent performance behind them and also know that if they perform to their level, Pakistan will have to play very well to beat them."

The weather report for the morning of June 16th suggests that it will be partly sunny and humid, with a temperature of 31°C and a RealFeel of 37°C. In the shade, it will feel slightly cooler at 34°C.

A southeast wind will blow at 9 km/h, with gusts reaching up to 20 km/h. The probability of precipitation stands at 25%, though no measurable precipitation is expected. The humidity level will be quite high at 74%, with a cloud cover of 70%. The dew point is forecasted to be 24°C, and visibility will remain clear at 10 kilometers.

This might as well be the Pakistan T20 team virtual obituary thread.

A slow demise towards an ignominious end.

The lowest point in Pakistan cricketing history, set in stone for prosperity and reflection.

Hopefully this is the end of babar as captain and player from t20i team and obviously rizwan should be kicked out as well.

Azam khan Usman khan iftikhar chacha shadab khan should be kicked out as well and hopefully this is the last we see them in Pakistan colors.

This match shouldn't happen.

If some of the losers play well in this match against mighty Irish they might get lucky and escape the punishment. That should not happen.
Hopefully there is no match today.
I don't think it will be a easy ride, they had a good pasting last time they were in Ireland only got lucky in the last game with so many drop catches

Death by a thousand cuts type game for Pakistan.

Am sure everybody is feeling very low, this game feels a lot like when Pakistan faced Zimbabwe in the 2007 WC when they were already out, all hope was lost but Imran Nazir just went out on his shield, all guns blazing, made something like 150 and he was instrumental in Pakistan’s recovery to the finals of the World T20 that same year.

Who will be Pakistan’s Imran Nazir today and give them something to cheer ? Rizwan is a higher averaging batter in a like for like position, so I guess there will be plenty of smiles at the end of today due to his very forward batting…..

My guess is Pakistan will play their strongest team to ensure they dont lose today.

Hi All

If your intention is to troll on this thread and spoil the fun for others who genuinely want to watch the game and discuss it, then you will find that your posts will not show up. So once the game starts, save your energy and don't write troll stuff and then wonder why you cannot see.

Thanks

Toss Update:

Pakistan win the toss and elect to bowl first

Mohammad Abbas replace Naseem Shah

Pakistan win the toss and bowl first in a dead rubber

Never change Pakistan
Never change!

Important Information
Muhammad Zaib: "@Arjun, the result of this match is also important for WC 2026 direct qualification." -- Pakistan's current T20I ranking of seventh is sufficient to guarantee a spot at the tournament in 2026, jointly hosted by India and Sri Lanka

Now bowl them out for 70 chase target early get home in time for eid

No abrar even in dead rubber. Why he is in the squad. Babar has to support his friends till the very last moment. He will surely promote shadab to no 4 today.

The coverage so far has been as good as Babar’s captaincy return

A chance in a dead rubber to give a few new players a chance to show themselves and play in a world cup but no, one enforced change (I assume it’s a injury) but the same old failures start

No abrar even in dead rubber. Why he is in the squad. Babar has to support his friends till the very last moment. He will surely promote shadab to no 4 today.
About to ping the same.babar has to resign atleast for pak future sake

This is pathetic. Abrar didnt play a single ODI WC match last year, and he wasn't played here as well. They fear he might outshine Shadab

No matches of Pakistan were affected by rain yet Pakistan fans are blaming rain for their exit from WT20
Lol who is blaming rain. The sane ones are blaming babar and rizwan who are responsible for early exit.

Dead rubber and still no chance given to player who hasn't played single match. How insensitive.
You never know, it could be only and last opportunity for someone.

Back