India (285/9d & 98/3) crush Bangladesh (233 & 146) by 7 wickets in the 2nd Test match to clean sweep the series 2-0

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The stage is set for an exciting clash as India faces Bangladesh in the second Test at Kanpur's Green Park Stadium, beginning on September 27. Following a dramatic first Test in Chennai, both teams are meticulously studying the unique pitch conditions Kanpur will offer. This article explores the characteristics of the pitch and how they might affect strategies, player selections, and the overall outcome of the game.

The pitch at Green Park Stadium will have distinct differences compared to the one in Chennai. Traditionally composed of black soil, the Kanpur surface is expected to be flatter and slower, with lower bounce. This means batters will need to adjust their techniques to succeed in these conditions.

In contrast, the Chennai Test featured true bounce, benefiting both seamers and spinners and resulting in a well-balanced contest. However, players can expect a different challenge in Kanpur. The slower pace and lower bounce may tip the scales in favor of the batters, potentially leading to high-scoring games.

These pitch conditions will play a crucial role in shaping team selections. For India, the slower nature of the surface could prompt them to include an additional spinner, such as Kuldeep Yadav or Axar Patel, in place of a fast bowler. Given India's success with spin-heavy attacks in home conditions, this would be a logical approach, especially with the expected low bounce.

Bangladesh, meanwhile, faces some uncertainty, particularly regarding the fitness of star all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan, who is dealing with a finger injury. If Shakib is unavailable, Bangladesh may turn to left-arm spinner Taijul Islam, highlighting the importance of spin in their bowling lineup as well.

Squads:

India Squad: Rohit Sharma (C), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, KL Rahul, Sarfaraz Khan, Rishabh Pant (WK), Dhruv Jurel (WK), R Ashwin, R Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohd. Siraj, Akash Deep, Jasprit Bumrah, Yash Dayal

Bangladesh Squad: Najmul Hossain Shanto (C), Mahmudul Hasan Joy, Zakir Hasan, Shadman Islam, Mominul Haque, Mushfiqur Rahim, Shakib Al Hasan, Litton Kumer Das, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Taijul Islam, Nayeem Hasan, Nahid Rana, Jaker Ali, Hasan Mahmud, Taskin Ahmed, Syed Khaled Ahmed.

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

There are high chances of rain on the first three days of the Kanpur Test match .

Most likely a draw test due to rain

Protests prompt tighter security for India-Bangladesh second Test in Kanpur

Elaborate security arrangements have been made ahead of the India-Bangladesh second Test, set to take place at the International Green Park Stadium in Kanpur from 27 September.

The measures come in light of recent unrest, as 20 members of the Akhilesh Bhartiya Hindu Mahasabha were booked on Monday for obstructing the road in front of the stadium to hold a 'havan', protesting against what they described as atrocities on Hindus in Bangladesh, according to Additional Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Harish Chander.

An FIR has been registered against the protesters, including Rakesh Mishra, Vikas Gupta, Prashant Dheer, and others, for various offences such as unlawful assembly and rioting. As a result, police are implementing a "fool-proof" security plan to ensure the safety of both the Indian and Bangladeshi cricket teams, who are expected to arrive in Kanpur by Tuesday evening.

Chander added that authorities have sought an extensive police presence, including senior officials, to manage the match. "We are confident we will have an adequate police force in place to meet the demands of this high-profile event," he said, noting that central and state agencies, including the Intelligence Bureau (IB) and state intelligence, have been involved to provide any necessary threat assessments.

The security framework involves dividing the Green Park stadium and the team hotel, Landmark, into sectors, zones, and sub-zones, with supervision assigned to DCP, additional DCP, and ACP rank officers. DCP (East) Shrawan Kumar Singh has been appointed the nodal officer for the entire operation. Additionally, traffic diversions around the stadium have been implemented to facilitate a smooth flow of security and to avoid any disruptions on match days.

Police have taken these precautionary steps to ensure there are no disturbances during the second Test, as the protestors' actions have raised concerns about public order. The authorities are coordinating with multiple agencies to stay prepared for any untoward incidents.

SOURCE: https://www.tbsnews.net/sports/prot...ty-india-bangladesh-second-test-kanpur-949371

'Still Eligible for Selection': Bangladesh Head Coach, Hathurusinghe on Shakib Al Hasan's Availability for Kanpur Test​

Ahead of the second Test between India and Bangladesh set to be played in Kanpur at the Green Park Stadium on Friday, the Bangladesh Head Coach, Chandika Hathurusinghe revealed that their veteran all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan continues to be available for selection despite injury concerns.

The 37-year-old all-rounder was a doubt for the Kanpur Test after it was revealed that he had picked up an injury to his finger while facing Jasprit Bumrah in the previous Test that took place in Chennai.

“At the moment, I haven’t heard from my physio or from anyone. He is still eligible for selection,” Hathurusinghe said after the team’s first training session in Kanpur.

Leaving the injury aside, Shakib’s overall form has been a big question mark for the visitors. His last decent score with the bat came against Ireland in the Test that took place in Mirpur on April 2023. But the Bangladesh Head Coach is not too bothered as they believe he still has the capabilities of putting in better performances.

“I am not upset about his performance. Our overall performance, we could have done better. I am sure that he also thinks that he can perform better. We all know what he is capable of,” Hathurusinghe commented.

Speaking on Shakib’s performance in the Chennai Test, Hathurusinghe believes Shakib had a positive show during the second innings but the quality of his opponent got the better of the veteran all-rounder.

“He batted really well in the second innings. He couldn’t go on, not because of a lack of pride. It’s the sheer quality of the opposition,” he said, backing the veteran player.

Bangladesh did have their moments during the previous match. But they will need a lot more should they hope to get the better of India who have been dominant in home conditions. For that to happen, Shakib will likely have a big part to play with both bat and ball.

Shakib might be in the final stretches of his cricketing career, but he hopes that he can get back to his best form and hope that he can deliver once again. Reports have suggested that the pitch in Kanpur would be different to the ones in Chennai. With a black soil pitch on offer, maybe the veteran all-rounder could see himself getting some decent performances against Rohit Sharma’s side.

"Rest Bumrah, Bring...": Sanjay Manjrekar States This Star Can Enter India XI For 2nd Test​

Former India cricketer and reputed pundit Sanjay Manjrekar has stated that he would like to see chinaman Kuldeep Yadav return to India's playing XI for the second Test against Bangladesh at Kanpur. Despite a successful home tour against England, where Kuldeep picked up 19 wickets in four games, he was left out of India's XI in Chennai for the first Bangladesh Test, as Rohit Sharma and co. went with three seamers. But now, Manjrekar has batted for Kuldeep's place in the side.

"I feel Kuldeep Yadav should not be dropped so easily. I believe that even if it was not a turner, India would have benefited from playing Kuldeep Yadav in Chennai because the seamers will get help for just one or one-and-a-half days on an Indian pitch," Manjrekar said, speaking on the ESPNcricinfo YouTube channel.

Manjrekar floated the idea that Kuldeep Yadav could make way for Jasprit Bumrah if the pace spearhead wanted a rest.

"If Bumrah wants a rest, give him. Try and get Kuldeep Yadav back," said Manjrekar, speaking on the changes he would make ahead of the second Test.

"Even if it's a green top and the sun is out, they should keep in mind that the green top will be just for the first few hours, and Siraj and Bumrah are enough for that. When you have three proven spinners, you should play all of them," Manjrekar said further.

After a crushing 280-run win in the first Test, where Bumrah played a key part by taking five wickets across the two innings, India could look to rest him, keeping in mind his workload management. This would provide the perfect opportunity for Kuldeep to make his way back into the side. On the other hand, pacer Yash Dayal would also be hopeful of making his debut in India whites if Bumrah does not feature.

"It Will Offer...": Curator On Kanpur Pitch For India vs Bangladesh 2nd Test​

The Green Park curator said on Wednesday that the wicket for the second Test between India and Bangladesh will be an ideal five-day pitch that will assist pacers in the first two sessions and aid spinners on the last three days. The Test is scheduled to commence on Friday. "There will be that Chennai match feeling. It will have something for everyone. It will offer bounce in the first two sessions and it will be pretty good for batting for the first two days. Then, the spinners will come into play on the last three days," curator Shiv Kumar told PTI.

India had thrashed Bangladesh by 280 runs in the opening Test in Chennai.

The black soil for the Green Park pitch, as always, has been sourced from Kali Mitti village near Unnao, which is 23km from Kanpur.

The pitches made from black soil traditionally assist spinners, while red soil helps the pacers. The pitch is expected to play low and slow.

"We get this soil tested from the Indian Institute of Technology. It's a special soil that is found near a pond in village Kali Mitti. It (bringing black soil from the village) is a practice we have been following for years," said an UPCA official.

The Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association has decided to considerably reduce the use of plastic during the second Test in order to keep the environment clean.

The UPCA has banned plastic plates for serving snacks inside the stadium and would only allow paper plates.

"This is a match at Green Park and we are striving to make it a 'green' match. We have decided to use as little plastic as possible," said stadium director Sanjay Kapur.

Just going by my vague memory, Kanpur is known for its sluggish/dull/draw-oriented pitches (won't be there much for any bowlers). I hope for a change, this will be a better one.

Another thrashing coming. India should wrap this game up like thy did in the first match. Waiting for a century from Virat.

"Rest Bumrah, Bring...": Sanjay Manjrekar States This Star Can Enter India XI For 2nd Test​

Former India cricketer and reputed pundit Sanjay Manjrekar has stated that he would like to see chinaman Kuldeep Yadav return to India's playing XI for the second Test against Bangladesh at Kanpur. Despite a successful home tour against England, where Kuldeep picked up 19 wickets in four games, he was left out of India's XI in Chennai for the first Bangladesh Test, as Rohit Sharma and co. went with three seamers. But now, Manjrekar has batted for Kuldeep's place in the side.

"I feel Kuldeep Yadav should not be dropped so easily. I believe that even if it was not a turner, India would have benefited from playing Kuldeep Yadav in Chennai because the seamers will get help for just one or one-and-a-half days on an Indian pitch," Manjrekar said, speaking on the ESPNcricinfo YouTube channel.

Manjrekar floated the idea that Kuldeep Yadav could make way for Jasprit Bumrah if the pace spearhead wanted a rest.

"If Bumrah wants a rest, give him. Try and get Kuldeep Yadav back," said Manjrekar, speaking on the changes he would make ahead of the second Test.

"Even if it's a green top and the sun is out, they should keep in mind that the green top will be just for the first few hours, and Siraj and Bumrah are enough for that. When you have three proven spinners, you should play all of them," Manjrekar said further.

After a crushing 280-run win in the first Test, where Bumrah played a key part by taking five wickets across the two innings, India could look to rest him, keeping in mind his workload management. This would provide the perfect opportunity for Kuldeep to make his way back into the side. On the other hand, pacer Yash Dayal would also be hopeful of making his debut in India whites if Bumrah does not feature.

It's tricky. On one hand, you don't want to waste Bumrah on this unrewarding pitch and risk injury. On the other hand, it's not like he's going to carry a heavy bowling load - probably bowl a few and get out of the way of the spinners.

I'd be inclined to play him and rest Siraj. We need to win every match we can to maintain our home record and he needs to stay match fit for the long test season.

If it rains for three days and knowing Kanpur is not one of those grounds with good drainage, this is a guaranteed stalemate. That pitch at Green Park is already a nightmare to score...and dismiss batsmen. A black pudding of a wicket.

It's tricky. On one hand, you don't want to waste Bumrah on this unrewarding pitch and risk injury. On the other hand, it's not like he's going to carry a heavy bowling load - probably bowl a few and get out of the way of the spinners.

I'd be inclined to play him and rest Siraj. We need to win every match we can to maintain our home record and he needs to stay match fit for the long test season.
I think Kuldeep can be brought in. Bangladesh will find him difficult to face on day 4-5 pitch. Bumrah is a star bowler but I think he can rested for this game.

I think Kuldeep can be brought in. Bangladesh will find him difficult to face on day 4-5 pitch. Bumrah is a star bowler but I think he can rested for this game.
Kuldeep has to come in. This pitch needs 3 spinners. Only question is for who.

Akashdeep should play. He looked good in the last test and the selectors need a good look at him ahead of the Australia tour.

It's between Bumrah and Siraj. I think Siraj should sit and Bumrah should play.

Kuldeep has to come in. This pitch needs 3 spinners. Only question is for who.

Akashdeep should play. He looked good in the last test and the selectors need a good look at him ahead of the Australia tour.

It's between Bumrah and Siraj. I think Siraj should sit and Bumrah should play.
Yep. Siraj is another option that can be rested. I think Bumrah should rest so he is not over-worked as there are many games to come.

My prediction is Bangladesh will lose by an innings and/or 200+ runs. Anything closer will be a moral victory for sure.

Yep. Siraj is another option that can be rested. I think Bumrah should rest so he is not over-worked as there are many games to come.
Why? How much rest he needs. I agree he shouldn't playe every game.
Bur the more you bowl the more fitter you will be. Just need to do good recovery after test matches. Ice baths, sauna, massage, hyberaric chamber etc.

Bumrah should play most of the test matches though he should be used conservatively knowing a lot of work is ahead ...

Abhishek Nayar, India's batting coach told the media on the eve of the 2nd Test in Kanpur:

"I think we need to understand that we have got a lot of IPL captains in this team. When you talk about the likes of Shubman Gill, Rishabh Pant, hopefully a Yashasvi going forward. There are a lot of players who have led their franchises."

"I wouldn't look at them as youngsters any more. Yes, they are youngsters in terms of age and the amount of cricket they have played. But, I think overall, mentally and in their development as a cricketer, I think they have the leadership qualities that are required. You don't need to have a vice-captain that should be designated."

"I think overall, the thought process of these youngsters if of a senior player. It's of someone who has played a lot of cricket. With the likes of Virat, Rohit in the dressing room, it speedens that process where you are learning a lot faster on the go. I feel our future and all the youngsters are in great hands."

Drop Jasprit Bumrah Or Mohammed Siraj: Ex-India Star Advocates For This Pacer vs Bangladesh​

Former India wicketkeeper-batter Parthiv Patel feels there is "no harm" in trying Yash Dayal in place of either Jasprit Bumrah or Mohammed Siraj for the second Test against Bangladesh in Kanpur, beginning on Friday. Before the beginning of the Test series against Bangladesh in Chennai, skipper Rohit Sharma asserted that the workload management of their pacers will be monitored throughout their jam-packed Test schedule, which will last till January next year. India stamped their authority in the opening Test by sealing a 280-run victory. In the pre-match press conference on Thursday, assistant coach Abhishek Nayar didn't dwell on the details of the playing XI.

Parthiv feels that Dayal, who has "tremendous potential," can come in place of either Siraj or Bumrah, presenting a chance for everyone to see a left-arm pacer in action for India.

"This will be a great chance to see a left-armer. It has been a while since India had a left-arm seamer, so I feel if he gets the chance, it will be good. We will know. Yash Dayal has tremendous potential. So I don't think there is harm in trying," Parthiv Patel, who is an expert on JioCinema and Sports18 told ANI.

Another aspect that will be keenly looked at will be the middle-order setup of the Rohit-led side. Sarfaraz Ahmed and Dhruv Jurel are knocking on the door after impressing during India's 4-1 series triumph over England earlier this year.

With the return of Rishabh Pant and KL Rahul in the Test setup, Parthiv finds it hard to see the duo feature in the playing XI and could have to wait for their opportunities.

"I don't think Sarfaraz and Dhruv will make a comeback to the side. Rishabh has just made a comeback. Both of them are very very talented players and very much ready for Test cricket. But they will have to wait for their chances," Parthiv added.

Jurel earned his maiden Test cap for India against England in the 3rd Test in Rajkot. In his debut Test, the young wicketkeeper batter played a promising 46-run knock.

In the fourth Test, he played a match-saving knock of 90 (149) in the first inning, which propelled India's score to 307.

Sarfaraz acted as the backbone of the Indian middle order. He garnered 200 in three matches at an average of 50.00.

Jurel and Dayal have been drafted in the Rest of India's squad for the upcoming Irani Cup. On the other hand, Sarfaraz has been selected in Mumbai's squad. If they are unable to make it to the playing XI against Bangladesh, they will be available to feature in the Irani Cup.

Drainage system is pathetic here .a expert from cricbuzz said during 2017 domestic session 8 minutes rain washout entire day .

So likely first 2 days are washout .

Batting first would be difficult on this wicket after rain... so toss will be important for both teams.

match possible in last 3 days!

vb3u6go.jpeg

This is will be Shakibs last test match for Bangladesh. THERES no way he is returning to BD for SA series. So hope he makes a good meaningful contributions both with bat and ball to end his test career.

I’d pick Joy over Shadman.

My BD XI.
Zakir
Joy
Shanto
Mushfiqur
Shakib
Liton Das
Miraz
Taijul
H Mahmud
Taskin
Rana

9:44am Morne Morkel, India bowling coach: "What a wonderful week. I have always played against India and followed India after my playing days. Wonderful to be in this environment and see how the guys operate. It is a matter of looking to build experience [with the bowlers]. A lot of the series are going to be five-Test series. There is a lot of experience in this dressing room, but for the guys coming in, making sure they fit in and evolve. Start thinking about setting goals. I am a believer of mapping out journey for direction. If they can take it series by series and looking to improve. [How do you work with new bowlers like Dayal, Akash] Key is to make them feel at home. Once you allow them the space to learn and make mistakes, it is a great enviroment."

Drop Jasprit Bumrah Or Mohammed Siraj: Ex-India Star Advocates For This Pacer vs Bangladesh​

Former India wicketkeeper-batter Parthiv Patel feels there is "no harm" in trying Yash Dayal in place of either Jasprit Bumrah or Mohammed Siraj for the second Test against Bangladesh in Kanpur, beginning on Friday. Before the beginning of the Test series against Bangladesh in Chennai, skipper Rohit Sharma asserted that the workload management of their pacers will be monitored throughout their jam-packed Test schedule, which will last till January next year. India stamped their authority in the opening Test by sealing a 280-run victory. In the pre-match press conference on Thursday, assistant coach Abhishek Nayar didn't dwell on the details of the playing XI.

Parthiv feels that Dayal, who has "tremendous potential," can come in place of either Siraj or Bumrah, presenting a chance for everyone to see a left-arm pacer in action for India.

"This will be a great chance to see a left-armer. It has been a while since India had a left-arm seamer, so I feel if he gets the chance, it will be good. We will know. Yash Dayal has tremendous potential. So I don't think there is harm in trying," Parthiv Patel, who is an expert on JioCinema and Sports18 told ANI.

Another aspect that will be keenly looked at will be the middle-order setup of the Rohit-led side. Sarfaraz Ahmed and Dhruv Jurel are knocking on the door after impressing during India's 4-1 series triumph over England earlier this year.

With the return of Rishabh Pant and KL Rahul in the Test setup, Parthiv finds it hard to see the duo feature in the playing XI and could have to wait for their opportunities.

"I don't think Sarfaraz and Dhruv will make a comeback to the side. Rishabh has just made a comeback. Both of them are very very talented players and very much ready for Test cricket. But they will have to wait for their chances," Parthiv added.

Jurel earned his maiden Test cap for India against England in the 3rd Test in Rajkot. In his debut Test, the young wicketkeeper batter played a promising 46-run knock.

In the fourth Test, he played a match-saving knock of 90 (149) in the first inning, which propelled India's score to 307.

Sarfaraz acted as the backbone of the Indian middle order. He garnered 200 in three matches at an average of 50.00.

Jurel and Dayal have been drafted in the Rest of India's squad for the upcoming Irani Cup. On the other hand, Sarfaraz has been selected in Mumbai's squad. If they are unable to make it to the playing XI against Bangladesh, they will be available to feature in the Irani Cup.

need to drop parthiv from commentary. he has been dropped on his head too many times.

India have won the toss and have opted to field

Teams:

Bangladesh
(Playing XI): Shadman Islam, Zakir Hasan, Najmul Hossain Shanto(c), Mominul Haque, Mushfiqur Rahim, Shakib Al Hasan, Litton Das(w), Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Taijul Islam, Hasan Mahmud, Khaled Ahmed

India (Playing XI): Yashasvi Jaiswal, Rohit Sharma(c), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Rishabh Pant(w), KL Rahul, Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Akash Deep, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj

Revised playing conditions:

First session - 10:30 - 12:30. Lunch 12:30 - 13:10.

Second session - 13:10 - 15:10. Tea - 15:10 - 15:30.

Third session - 15:30 - 17:30. An extra 30 mins can be added.

Good to see Bumrah playing all test matches. No skipping of home tests every series. Yes, he can skip the third test vs NZ as there will be 5-test series vs Australia coming up. But no need to do it in every series.

He has got the quality to play 6-7 years more and hopefully double the tests count which will give him about 350 test wickets.

Good to see Bumrah playing all test matches. No skipping of home tests every series. Yes, he can skip the third test vs NZ as there will be 5-test series vs Australia coming up. But no need to do it in every series.

He has got the quality to play 6-7 years more and hopefully double the tests count which will give him about 350 test wickets.
he must play 2 vs nz
3 vs aus. max 4. i think 3 will be fine.

akashdeep should open for india vs aus. siraj 4th choice
bumrah
akahsdeep shami
harshit
that should be the team

jaddu at 7

yes ash is out for balance purposes. he will play on the flat ones.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAKAAAAAAAAAAAAASDHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
WHAT A BOWLER.

Wow what a wicket.

Rohit and pant was not convinced but akashdeep forced him to take DRS

AKASHDEEP FIRST CHOICE FOR AUS TOUR

BUMRAH
AKASHDEEP
HARSHIT
SHAMI

BENCH
SIRAJ
KEVERAPPA
AVESH KHAN CAUSE HE CAN BAT OR KHAMBOJ

ALL ROUNDERS
NITISH REDDY
SHARDUL KINDA
ASHWIN SORT OF
JADEJA

AKASHDEEP FIRST CHOICE FOR AUS TOUR

BUMRAH
AKASHDEEP
HARSHIT
SHAMI

BENCH
SIRAJ
KEVERAPPA
AVESH KHAN CAUSE HE CAN BAT OR KHAMBOJ

ALL ROUNDERS
NITISH REDDY
SHARDUL KINDA
ASHWIN SORT OF
JADEJA
Who the heck is Harshit?

Just tuned in.
So Skipper Shanto wanted to bat first and got what he wanted.
Surprising hitman choose bowling first. does not happen too many times in India and looking at Green park Kanpur reputation as low slow Draw magnet -very surprising.

Terrific bowling by Akash Deep - he's done all to make himself the next cab off the paceman rank for the NZ and Aus series.

his Nickname is Akki as per andar ki khabar :)

What an absolute delight it is to see guys like Rahul and VVS and then Che pu, jinks replaced by gun slipsmen like Yash and Shubhman..augurs well for the future.

Meanwhile BD will be breathing a lot better now...

Bet the Indian wrist slitters and the negative nancies must be sweating now. Cause one partnership is building.

Back