India (376 & 287/4d) crush Bangladesh (149 & 234) in 1st Test by 280 runs, taking 1-0 lead in 2-Test match series

yes....thats my point. If india replicate this in domestics/FC cricket/age group tournaments.... we will breed good pacemen, good spinners....expose our young/domestic batsmen to conditions they are likely to face overseas which means they will improve.....
And an important and most ignored part....we will breed good slips men, good close in fielders.... as with decent carry, nicks will fly hard and long and all close in guys will be tested leading to their improvement....
The groundsmen at Chennai need to be complimented....
But knowing our media/our supporters - its like washing water off a ducks back...no one will care or comment....
Fact is such pitches make for compelling viewing....instead of the same old tired 'lets spin to win' spin dustbowls....
Agreed. Any pitch on which more than 10 wickets fall on Day 2 to both spinners and pacers with no danger to the batters is excellent.

We need these pitches for our domestic games. We can always keep a couple of pitches on each ground unwatered if we need dust bowls in an emergency.

Gill will score a 50 tomorrow and KL Rahul will choke again.

Some fireworks from Pant and Jaddu. India will set a target in excess of 400.

BD will be bundled out for under 200 again. India will win by 200+ runs.

Thanks for the appreciation of our bowling. Yes, the batting unit here seems very fragile to me , especially Moninul,Shakib,Shanto,Shadman all are too much inconsistent. Cant face quality pace or seam bowling. Even in this innings Liton, Mehedy and Mushfiqur (he got out to a brilliant delivery) were those 3 who always seemed to be the batsmen who can bat longer. These 3 were instrumental in our Pakistan wins. You just can't rely on one department.
You guys are being too harsh on batsmen. They did more than fine in Pakistan. This pitch had bounce and they were facing a very good bowling unit. Some of them lack technique for sure but facing Indian bowling is vastly different than facing average bowling.

Sure, batting could have been better, but pace unit of BD was drastically different than past. Loved watching BD bowl. Caught a bit , not the entire match. BD is no longer jsut about dustbowl at home grounds.

Bangladesh's main headache has always been the batting and not finishing the lower order of opposition early in tests in last few years .

Bowling has been quiet okay now excep that Shakib has not been the same bowler anymore and Taijul (whose spot Shakib takes always) is far better bowler than Shakib at this moment.
Some hype was created for this series (usually we were super duper underdog in India until this series) and that hype made me feel that ijjat duub geya.

Every country should have ijjat. Even Uganda should have it. Nothing wrong with your statement.

Every team should try to play to their potential. I feel BD batters didn't do that. They seemed impatient. Didn't even last 50 overs.

They need to grind it out like Pujara did in Australia.

Every country should have ijjat. Even Uganda should have it. Nothing wrong with your statement.

Every team should try to play to their potential. I feel BD batters didn't do that. They seemed impatient. Didn't even last 50 overs.

They need to grind it out like Pujara did in Australia.
This pitch only suits batting like what Ashwin ,Jadeja and Pant did in first innings. Ashwin also told it after first day of play. India's run rate in 2nd innings is also quite healthy. Thats the way to play here. Because there is both pace,bounce and sideways movement available here. You just cant grind it here. It can backfire.

Problem here is that the reflex necessary for proper shot selection to loose deliveries and its of way of implementation of Bangladeshi batsmen is poor. Thats the difference between batters of two teams and always has been between average batsman and quality one. Another thing is as @Buffet said Bangladeshi batsmen are right up against arguably the best bowling attack of the world. Its not easy.

BD has given a good account for themselves. This was always on the cards. Seniors like Rahim who probably will retire in a year or two are never going to be consistent. BD next gen batsmen have to take the onus. Bowling especially fast bowling is in good hands. But I say their main potency needs new blood. Taijul is good. But can't bat. Also it is not that easy against this attack.

Bangladesh needs to follow a certain path to prosper in test cricket.

There is already some measures taken. Duke ball has been introduced in first class to attract and encourage pace bowling. Pace bowlers of first class teams have been instructed to bowl 15-20 overs per day in match to increase match fitness and longevity.

What needs to address very seriously is the pitch. Bangladesh should hire curators from India to make pitches like Indians. I m just impressed to see those pitches. Every kind of pitches you can find in India.

This pitch only suits batting like what Ashwin ,Jadeja and Pant did in first innings. Ashwin also told it after first day of play. India's run rate in 2nd innings is also quite healthy. Thats the way to play here. Because there is both pace,bounce and sideways movement available here. You just cant grind it here. It can backfire.

Problem here is that the reflex necessary for proper shot selection to loose deliveries and its of way of implementation of Bangladeshi batsmen is poor. Thats the difference between batters of two teams and always has been between average batsman and quality one. Another thing is as @Buffet said Bangladeshi batsmen are right up against arguably the best bowling attack of the world. Its not easy.
Well said. Grinding it out on these pitches takes extraordinary application. It's not enough to be a grinder. Batters like Pujara and Dravid who have the judgement, footwork and patience are generational talents who the system is now incapable of producing because of the needs of modern cricket.

Taskin Ahmed Says Bangladesh 'Lost Too Many Wickets in First 10 Overs' Against 'World-class' India​

Bangladesh pacer Taskin Ahmed on Friday admitted that losing too many wickets in the first 10 overs of their first innings against “world class” Indian bowlers has put his side on the backfoot in the opening Test against India here.

In reply to India’s first innings total of 376, Bangladesh were all out for 149 in 47.1 overs on the second day, with Shakib Al Hasan (32) being their top scorer. They lost three wickets in the first 10 overs and scored 27 runs.

“Overall, our batting was a little bit disappointing. Yeah, there is some help for the fast bowlers, but still, we could have done much better than that. So yeah, we are disappointed,” Ahmed said at the press conference after the day’s play.

“We also lost too many wickets in the first 10 (overs), which cost us our game.”

India were 81 for 3 in their second innings at stumps for an overall lead of 308 runs.

Ahmed, who took three wickets in India’s first innings and one in the second, also felt that his side’s less experience of playing with the SG balls did not help their cause either.

Bangladesh players are mostly used to playing with the Kookaburra balls which have a flatter seam compared to the SG.

“Also, playing with the SG ball is a challenge. The Indians play with SG ball since childhood, so they know how to use it properly, giving them a huge advantage,” said the 29-year-old right-arm pacer.

“We also made some mistakes with the new ball. What I felt about the SG ball and this condition is that there were some challenges, especially for the first 10-12 overs.

“India is a formidable side against any opponent at home. And everyone tries to make the most out of the home advantage, the same as we will do when we play at home soon.”

As far as bowling is concerned, he said his side bowled well overall.

“Yes, yesterday we started well, and at the end of the day, (Ravichandran) Ashwin and (Ravindra) Jadeja batted well. Also, this morning, we had a good session, and then we finished them all in 37 runs by taking four more wickets.

“So overall, we bowled well. Yesterday, there was more help than today.”

Ahmed gave credit to the Indian bowlers for their consistent line and length.

“No doubt they all are world-class. They were more consistent with their line and lengths, and there were plenty of variations in the Indian bowling attack,” he said.

On their historic Test win in Pakistan, Ahmed said, “We played overall good cricket in Pakistan, and Test cricket is something you need to be good in your department in every session.

“But, conditions are different here.”

Well said. Grinding it out on these pitches takes extraordinary application. It's not enough to be a grinder. Batters like Pujara and Dravid who have the judgement, footwork and patience are generational talents who the system is now incapable of producing because of the needs of modern cricket.
Exactly. They were sensational especially Dravid, he had longevity and played with such level of qualities throughout his career. What Pujara did in that particular Australia series in Australia was just amazing. I don't think any Asian batsman could ever do that in Australia.

By the by has Pujara been discarded permanently by team management?

Taskin Ahmed Says Bangladesh 'Lost Too Many Wickets in First 10 Overs' Against 'World-class' India​

Bangladesh pacer Taskin Ahmed on Friday admitted that losing too many wickets in the first 10 overs of their first innings against “world class” Indian bowlers has put his side on the backfoot in the opening Test against India here.

In reply to India’s first innings total of 376, Bangladesh were all out for 149 in 47.1 overs on the second day, with Shakib Al Hasan (32) being their top scorer. They lost three wickets in the first 10 overs and scored 27 runs.

“Overall, our batting was a little bit disappointing. Yeah, there is some help for the fast bowlers, but still, we could have done much better than that. So yeah, we are disappointed,” Ahmed said at the press conference after the day’s play.

“We also lost too many wickets in the first 10 (overs), which cost us our game.”

India were 81 for 3 in their second innings at stumps for an overall lead of 308 runs.

Ahmed, who took three wickets in India’s first innings and one in the second, also felt that his side’s less experience of playing with the SG balls did not help their cause either.

Bangladesh players are mostly used to playing with the Kookaburra balls which have a flatter seam compared to the SG.

“Also, playing with the SG ball is a challenge. The Indians play with SG ball since childhood, so they know how to use it properly, giving them a huge advantage,” said the 29-year-old right-arm pacer.

“We also made some mistakes with the new ball. What I felt about the SG ball and this condition is that there were some challenges, especially for the first 10-12 overs.

“India is a formidable side against any opponent at home. And everyone tries to make the most out of the home advantage, the same as we will do when we play at home soon.”

As far as bowling is concerned, he said his side bowled well overall.

“Yes, yesterday we started well, and at the end of the day, (Ravichandran) Ashwin and (Ravindra) Jadeja batted well. Also, this morning, we had a good session, and then we finished them all in 37 runs by taking four more wickets.

“So overall, we bowled well. Yesterday, there was more help than today.”

Ahmed gave credit to the Indian bowlers for their consistent line and length.

“No doubt they all are world-class. They were more consistent with their line and lengths, and there were plenty of variations in the Indian bowling attack,” he said.

On their historic Test win in Pakistan, Ahmed said, “We played overall good cricket in Pakistan, and Test cricket is something you need to be good in your department in every session.

“But, conditions are different here.”

Taskin has been spot on in his analysis

Exactly. They were sensational especially Dravid, he had longevity and played with such level of qualities throughout his career. What Pujara did in that particular Australia series in Australia was just amazing. I don't think any Asian batsman could ever do that in Australia.

By the by has Pujara been discarded permanently by team management?
I guess you can never say never but I would guess he's only a break glass in an emergency kind of option now. That said, he's been playing pretty solidly for Sussex this County season so maybe there's a chance.

I guess you can never say never but I would guess he's only a break glass in an emergency kind of option now. That said, he's been playing pretty solidly for Sussex this County season so maybe there's a chance.
He can be a suitable replace for Rahul.

He can be a suitable replace for Rahul.
Nah...I don't think things have reached that level yet. Sarfaraz and Jurel are ahead in the line, guys like Padikkal behind them. If none of them finalize a place by the end of the NZ tour, we might go back to the tried and trusted for Australia.

Nah...I don't think things have reached that level yet. Sarfaraz and Jurel are ahead in the line, guys like Padikkal behind them. If none of them finalize a place by the end of the NZ tour, we might go back to the tried and trusted for Australia.
Let this guy score past 8000 test runs. He deserves this.

BD has given a good account for themselves. This was always on the cards. Seniors like Rahim who probably will retire in a year or two are never going to be consistent. BD next gen batsmen have to take the onus. Bowling especially fast bowling is in good hands. But I say their main potency needs new blood. Taijul is good. But can't bat. Also it is not that easy against this attack.
This transition period may become a very tough one for us.
Literally we dont have any replacement for Mushfiqur at this moment. Neither for Tamim Iqbal or Shakib. Batting talent isnt coming up at all. At least in my eyes i don't see anyone. Or we haven't invested property on replacement.

This transition period may become a very tough one for us.
Literally we dont have any replacement for Mushfiqur at this moment. Neither for Tamim Iqbal or Shakib. Batting talent isnt coming up at all. At least in my eyes i don't see anyone. Or we haven't invested property on replacement.
Yes. Because of limited number of Tests learning curve will be steep for these players. They probably can try playing in county cricket where you can expedite your growth as a batsman. Growing exclusively in internationals will be a long journey as BD doesn't play many tests. Mostly 1 or 2 tests in a series.

India won the day 2 comfortably. Game is theirs and should not lose it from here

There's been overnight rain and some showers early in the morning as well in Chennai but things are fine atm. On-time start for sure.

We play to our strengths at home. All home teams put out pitches that suit their team.
Remember the good old days where nz will put batting pitches against pak and green grass fields against Ind,sl.Eng used to shave off the grass only in the middle of the pitch to counter west indies pacers bounce.

Sundar
Pradosh
Paddikal
Sarfraz

All should be part of the first team

So far Bangladesh looks deflated because of the lead they are staring at and the bowlers didn't have enough time to breathe between the innings. Had to bowl twice on the same day. Now bowling for third day in a row.

This is exactly why batting time is important as well as scoring runs. Bazball became unsustainable against good teams is because they didn't give enough rest for their bowlers.

Honestly we have more than enough already but I would hate for there to be a declaration before tea and a lead of 500. Need the Indian batters to get a lot of practice in and thoroughly demoralise the Bangladeshis. Will help hugely in the way they approach the second innings and second test.

Honestly we have more than enough already but I would hate for there to be a declaration before tea and a lead of 500. Need the Indian batters to get a lot of practice in and thoroughly demoralise the Bangladeshis. Will help hugely in the way they approach the second innings and second test.
Bowlers need rest.
Batsmen want more batting time. It's totally OK.

Lead is already 348 now. India is well in the driving seat and heading towards a win.

Gill all set to score a century and shut his critics down temporarily.

This 3rd day pitch looks dead. Absolutely nothing for them. Time to pile on some runs for KL Rahul too. If he fails today, there is no excuse for him.

What's the hurry to declare? It's only 3rd day. India can bat entire day and still 2 days to bowl out BD.

Tuned in to see BD bowling but not much is happening for them.

What's the hurry to declare? It's only 3rd day. India can bat entire day and still 2 days to bowl out BD.
Yeah no real hurry. Selfishly looking to avoid utter boredom for myself.

75 overs left in the day. If we can manage to bat 50 of them for close to 200, we should be hovering around 550. Surely no point stretching it beyond that. Their batters will be tired and dehydrated after a whole hot day in the field. I'd bet on knocking over 3-4 of them by the end of the day.

Pant is right now at 70%.
If he reaches full fitness at 100% by bgt series then Australia are in trouble.

But aus still favourites. Cause we are in transition.

People think pant is a heck but he has solid defence along with attacking mindset .
Pant is the best batsman in the world when he is fully fit. People who think he is a hack needs to get their head checked.

He is easily India's best batsman. He is just recovering from a serious injury.

Pant is a beast. An ATG.

People think pant is a heck but he has solid defence along with attacking mindset .
He has excellent defence, infact his defense is as good any top players playing right now. He just looks ungainly when he plays some of his attacking shots which makes people think he is an hack m

We don't need praise from anybody. We don't need to please anybody.

We play to our strengths at home. All home teams put out pitches that suit their team.
Agreed.
But my point more was - When we win at home and our Spinners get 16 out of 20 wickets, and our pitches turn from 1st day 1st session, every one downgrades/down plays saying doctored/spin bowls/dustbowls/bunsen burner.
When we have a true pitch like this - the same crowd who jump up and down saying we only win at home because of the above reasons, go missing.
All i am saying is give more credit to what a brilliant pitch it was, at least on 1st two days....and i hope this is replicated all thru our domestic games.

Agreed.
But my point more was - When we win at home and our Spinners get 16 out of 20 wickets, and our pitches turn from 1st day 1st session, every one downgrades/down plays saying doctored/spin bowls/dustbowls/bunsen burner.
When we have a true pitch like this - the same crowd who jump up and down saying we only win at home because of the above reasons, go missing.
All i am saying is give more credit to what a brilliant pitch it was, at least on 1st two days....and i hope this is replicated all thru our domestic games.
Actually when we prepare rank turners we lose. Because it brings average spinners of opposition into equation. Given that our batsmen (some of them) are against spin. They make bowlers like Kuneman, Todd murphy, Hartley like a legendary spinners. India wins when the pitch is not overly friendly to spin.

Just tuned in, both overnight guys crossed 50's .....
Amazing - the silence from the usual serial indian poster-whingers here who were at their happiest yesterday- late evening session and declared Gill as India's all time worst num 1. ...:)...
they know who they are and will turn up inthe 2nd test should the guys who were unsuccesful here happen to fail again... :haha

The guys are getting a bit silly now. Stop trying to outdo each other and focus on getting to your centuries and building the lead.

Day 3: LUNCH - India lead by 432 runs

BAN 149

IND 376 & 205/3 (51) CRR: 4.02

India isn't running out of time so why declare, they can even bat all day today and still have enough time ( 2 Days ) left to bowl out BD.

Think they should be batting till Tea atleast and get as many runs as possible in the next 28-30 overs even if end up getting AO.

India isn't running out of time so why declare, they can even bat all day today and still have enough time ( 2 Days ) left to bowl out BD.

Think they should be batting till Tea atleast and get as many runs as possible in the next 28-30 overs even if end up getting AO.
Best time to statpad lol Why miss opportunity. There are days you won't know where your next run will come

India can bat one hour beyond tea and then have one hour burst on Bangladesh batting today.

40 overs and they can score 150 runs assuming KL Rahul and Ravindra Jadeja will play selfishly.

Gotta feel for Bangladesh bowlers. Even with walking wicket Kohli this is a daunting batting line up in these conditions.

Back