India v England | 2nd Test - Day 1 | Mohali | 19/12/08

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes ... three top test sides playing cricket ... and though Aus is a distant first, fight for second spot is really picking up.

12thMan said:
Pakistan is not playing so .... Has Bangladesh series against SL already started?

India like to pretend SL don't exist and their recent beating never happened.

And Pakistan are 6th in Test rankings.

Random Aussie said:

how many test series have SL won to be considered in top 4 ...just having two good spiners isnt enuf !

jusarrived said:
how many test series have SL won to be considered in top 4 ...just having two good spiners isnt enuf !

What does it matter? They are ranked number 4 that is the end of it.

They won their last Test series :D

Random Aussie said:
What does it matter? They are ranked number 4 that is the end of it.

They won their last Test series :D

fair enuf , but i think england are much better side overall !

Random Aussie said:

SL is yet to win a single Test in India let alone series.

Mohali is a bouncy surface. Why would they leave Harmison out and keep Anderson who is primarily a swing bowler. (Hope Anderson doesn't fire on all cylinders due to my jinx )

IronMan2009 said:
Recent beating happened. I don't see anyone denying it.

I don't quite understand your point about SL not winning a Test in India.

I don't believe SL have ever won a Test in Australia either. Makes no difference to whether they are 4th of not.

IronMan2009 said:
Mohali is a bouncy surface. Why would they leave Harmison out and keep Anderson who is primarily a swing bowler. (Hope Anderson doesn't fire on all cylinders due to my jinx )

Because Harmison was rubbish in the last Test

Random Aussie said:
I don't quite understand your point about SL not winning a Test in India.

I don't believe SL have ever won a Test in Australia either. Makes no difference to whether they are 4th of not.

I was referring to your reference about India.. Not going to elaborate on this topic. let us leave it at that and focus on match.

Random Aussie said:
Because Harmison was rubbish in the last Test

So was Anderson. But Mohali pitch will be bouncier. It might help him. But you have a point. Harmison might misuse the bounce.

IronMan2009 said:
So was Anderson. But Mohali pitch will be bouncier. It might help him. But you have a point. Harmison might misuse the bounce.

I think they have decided Harmison has had enough chances to bowl decently on tour and has never really been worth selecting.
He is a liability when not in form, Anderson is more consistent.

A short delay right before the first ball being bowled as the umpires gave England the wrong ball and not the ball England had chosen to bowl with.

First ball bowled, bit of inswing, appeal not interested.

Good length. Sehwag went for a non-existent drive. That's the way he plays. No surprise there.

I dont know why they bought OA Shah with them if he was just a drink boy

And he went for a duck. How often do you see that? :p

6/1 in 2.1 ovrs

Another wicket is going to fall really soon, cause Dravid has just walked in :)))

natalia said:
And he went for a duck. How often do you see that? :p

6/1 in 2.1 ovrs

Oflate not much. He has amassed close to 1500 runs this year. So That was good break through for England.

Until I saw the pitch I was extremely pessimistic. This could suit us though. It hardly looks like your typical Indian pitch, does it?

Big Harvey said:
Until I saw the pitch I was extremely pessimistic. This could suit us though. It hardly looks like your typical Indian pitch, does it?

It is always like this. Even against Australia. Just the overcast conditions will assist little bit of swing first hour or so. On this very same pitch Sehwag/Gambhir pummelled Australia not long ago.

Hope Dravid uses this opportunity. Otherwise a great career is going to end with this Test match.

He is very un-dravidlike. Sea of difference between the Dravid couple of years back and now.

IronMan2009 said:
It is always like this. Even against Australia. Just the overcast conditions will assist little bit of swing first hour or so. On this very same pitch Sehwag/Gambhir pummelled Australia not long ago.

I don't remember anything like this much grass either for the Australia game or our last two visits. As well as swing, we're seeing seam movement.

A great ball nipping towards the batsman, hitting pad and no bat on that one!

I think this test match is Do-Or-Die for Dravid? How about you guys?

Big Harvey said:
I don't remember anything like this much grass either for the Australia game or our last two visits. As well as swing, we're seeing seam movement.

I don't think they have enough grass even now. But Aussies struggled on the same surface.

Dravid is a well-respected cricketer. but sadly his bad form has lasted too long for India's comfort.

If India didn't have so many good batsmen in their Test side, Dravid may have been dropped already, but how many chances are left for him?

Matic said:
If India didn't have so many good batsmen in their Test side, Dravid may have been dropped already, but how many chances are left for him?

There are plenty of replacements for Dravid. Just that they are giving him more chances based on his past reputation. Last 2 years he has averaged around 30. I don't think any cricketer was given that many chances.

They can bring in Rohit Sharma, Uthapa or Kohli. I am not sure about Uthapa but Sharma or Kohli can make instead of him

IronMan2009 said:
There are plenty of replacements for Dravid. Just that they are giving him more chances based on his past reputation. Last 2 years he has averaged around 30. I don't think any cricketer was given that many chances.

Even Ganguly wasn't given that many chances

Indians fans have learnt to live with the fact India is playing with 10 players since Dravid has dropped 4 catches in the last 2 or 3 matches.

IronMan2009 said:

Right on, Ravi Shastri just admitting that Dravid does have that respect by the BCCI which gave him as many chances as he has had to work on his game and get back to his normal self. A man with 10, 000 runs, someone obviously should have a talk with him to see what he thinks says Bumble.

minhasuz said:
They can bring in Rohit Sharma, Uthapa or Kohli. I am not sure about Uthapa but Sharma or Kohli can make instead of him

Only Kohli or Vijay from what I have seen could conceivably bat at 3 though.

They could move Laxman to 3 but the Lax/Tendu partnerships are working for them and probably wouldn't want 2 youngsters at 5 and 6 if they can help it.

Uthappa I don't think so. Sharma is a good player but not to bat at 3 in Tests yet.

itduzz said:
little bit of helpful pitch....shewag gone for a duck :)))

Dude.. he went for a shot. He has got out like that even on flattest of flattest surfaces. It is still a dry pitch. Who said it is a "helpful" pitch.

Ya. England doesn't have the "sprayer" in their side :p . By now with his rubbish stuff Harmison might turn a 10 over ball into a 20 over ball.

Random Aussie said:
Only Kohli or Vijay from what I have seen could conceivably bat at 3 though.

They could move Laxman to 3 but the Lax/Tendu partnerships are working for them and probably wouldn't want 2 youngsters at 5 and 6 if they can help it.

Uthappa I don't think so. Sharma is a good player but not to bat at 3 in Tests yet.
Yes thats why I said Uthappa, might notbe able to but Kohli is a good choice. I am not sure the last warm-up he played against _____(cant quite remember), they he had a big innings

minhasuz said:
Yes thats why I said Uthappa, might notbe able to but Kohli is a good choice. I am not sure the last warm-up he played against _____(cant quite remember), they he had a big innings

Both he and Vijay looked Test quality against the _______ team.

Dravid's out of form helped him lol He completely mis-pulled. Ball landed safely between fielders.

not a chance the likes of sharma, kohli, uthappa are test quality batsmen.

IMO, the real batsmen are badrinath, pujara, and Rahane. See how many runs they have made so far. They all have the ability to play long innings which kohli, uthappam, or sharma dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back