Pakistan (181/4) defeat Ireland (178/7) by 6 wickets in the T20I decider to win the series 2-1

Who will win the 3rd T20I between Ireland and Pakistan?

• Total voters

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
On May 14, 2024, Ireland and Pakistan will face each other for the third time in five days, this time at Castle Avenue, Dublin, the venue for the first two T20Is of the series.

The series hangs in the balance after Ireland secured a historic five-wicket win with just one delivery remaining in the first T20I. However, Pakistan made a strong comeback in the second match, chasing down a higher target than Ireland's first match victory, leveling the series with over three overs left.

Before the ongoing series, three other T20Is were played at Castle Avenue between Ireland and Pakistan. Out of the five matches played, chasing teams have emerged victorious four times. The pitch tends to flatten as the game progresses, with the initial overs being a bit two-paced.

SQUADS:

Pakistan squad: Babar Azam (c), Abrar Ahmed, Azam Khan, Fakhar Zaman, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali, Iftikhar Ahmed, Imad Wasim, Mohammad Abbas Afridi, Mohammad Amir, Mohammad Rizwan, Irfan Khan, Naseem Shah, Saim Ayub, Salman Agha, Shadab Khan, Shaheen Afridi, Usman Khan

Ireland squad: Paul Stirling (Capt), Mark Adair, Ross Adair, Andrew Balbirnie, Curtis Campher, Gareth Delany, George Dockrell, Graham Hume, Barry McCarthy, Neil Rock, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Ben White, Craig Young.

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

I think Pakistan should pick Shadab Khan in place of Naseem Shah as there is no need to go with 4 pacers, ifti and shaddab can share 2 overs each to complete the qouta and rest of ur 4 bolwers can complete their overs.

I think Pakistan should pick Shadab Khan in place of Naseem Shah as there is no need to go with 4 pacers, ifti and shaddab can share 2 overs each to complete the qouta and rest of ur 4 bolwers can complete their overs.

Usman Khan has to play, he needs to find his form ahead of the England series.

Abrar should come in for Naseem.

Shadab can replace Ifthikar.

but at which position u will bring Usman Khan in and whom u will drop?

Shadab cant play a role of finisher so its better to stick with Iftikhar i guess.

I’d be surprised to see many if any changes made to the team.

May be in the bowling department they may go to rest Shaheen and play Shadab instead. Unsure if they would then drop Naseem too and fit in Usman Khan and go with a batsmen heavy team.
Could even rest Fakhar + Rizwan and add Hasan + Agha in to see if they can offer anything.

Otherwise more or less same team.

I would even drop Babar for the last game and see what the bench strength is made of at 1-1 in the series let Chacha be the captain.

Fakhar
Saim
Usman
Salman Agha
Ifti (Captain)
Azam (wk)
Niazi
Abrar
Hassan
Abbas
Amir

So Pakistan and Ireland to play a series decider with both sides evenly matched

Considering the runs scored by Rizwan, he is not going anywhere. Not sure where they can adjust Usman if he is not opening or playing at number 3.

Iftikhar can be dropped to play Salman in and also naseem should be rested for Abrar.

Poll added guys,

Rooting for Pakistan to win the game and the series as well. Few changes are expected.

Today's game is anticipated to have a slim chance, around 20%, of experiencing rain. Not bad actually. We will be getting a full game hopefully.

Last edited:
If Pakistan bats first they lose plain amd simple, unless usman khan comes in and does some magic which is unlikely.

Pakistan wins if it chases.

Poll added guys,

Rooting for Pakistan to win the game and the series as well. Few changes are expected.

Today's game is anticipated to have a slim chance, around 20%, of experiencing rain. Not bad actually. We will be getting a full game hopefully.
IRE have played superbly in the series . Weather forecast ?

I’d be surprised to see many if any changes made to the team.

May be in the bowling department they may go to rest Shaheen and play Shadab instead. Unsure if they would then drop Naseem too and fit in Usman Khan and go with a batsmen heavy team.
Could even rest Fakhar + Rizwan and add Hasan + Agha in to see if they can offer anything.

Otherwise more or less same team.

I would even drop Babar for the last game and see what the bench strength is made of at 1-1 in the series let Chacha be the captain.

Fakhar
Saim
Usman
Salman Agha
Ifti (Captain)
Azam (wk)
Niazi
Abrar
Hassan
Abbas
Amir
I wouldn't go with saim again. He's not ready atm. He's been a walking wicket at the top for 16 games. He needs to be worked on. Usman Khan should be given the opportunity to open today, or just bring fakhar back on top.

I wouldn't go with saim again. He's not ready atm. He's been a walking wicket at the top for 16 games. He needs to be worked on. Usman Khan should be given the opportunity to open today, or just bring fakhar back on top.
I am with you on this thing. May be just drop saim, he is not listening to the people who want him to improve. He is a sitting duck and throws is wickets in no time. Might as well try fakhar up the order and play Salman ali agha in.

I am with you on this thing. May be just drop saim, he is not listening to the people who want him to improve. He is a sitting duck and throws is wickets in no time. Might as well try fakhar up the order and play Salman ali agha in.
Yeah I noticed and called out his ego a long time ago.

Kid is too focused on viewing himself as an ab de villers for Pakistan. He shpuld just focus on building himself up so he can be a brand. These no look shots or these legside flicks are useless in the long run.

Yeah I noticed and called out his ego a long time ago.

Kid is too focused on viewing himself as an ab de villers for Pakistan. He shpuld just focus on building himself up so he can be a brand. These no look shots or these legside flicks are useless in the long run.
Yes. That no-look shot is doing no good for him. He should try to stay a bit on the crease, maybe see off 6-7 balls and then can go all gunz blazing.

Yes. That no-look shot is doing no good for him. He should try to stay a bit on the crease, maybe see off 6-7 balls and then can go all gunz blazing.
I just don't get whats wrong with him. Technically I've found no flaw.

It's just idk, his shot selection choices are amongst the worst I've ever seen in cricket? He's worse then Umar akmal when it comes to shot selections but umar was hampered by poor front foot technique.

Why is saim so bad at it? Makes no sense.

I just don't get whats wrong with him. Technically I've found no flaw.

It's just idk, his shot selection choices are amongst the worst I've ever seen in cricket? He's worse then Umar akmal when it comes to shot selections but umar was hampered by poor front foot technique.

Why is saim so bad at it? Makes no sense.
It is his ego and his urge to play good-looking shots and for everybody to praise him for that no-look shot that is bringing this to him. He needs to give time to his batting rather than trying to look stylish.

Want to see Usman and Abrar play.
Considering the poor form of Sam Ayub, it is important to give Usman game time

What? Saim played beautifully just the game before

Drop Babar whos been in terrible form
Babar's been in terrible form since 2022. He's basically a pindi basher now. On form he doesn't warrant a place in any side atm

Although saim has been poor, poor stuff from him honestly.

Babar's been in terrible form since 2022. He's basically a pindi basher now. On form he doesn't warrant a place in any side atm

Although saim has been poor, poor stuff from him honestly.
He’s unsure what he’s supposed to do to please people

Does he need to score a 30 ball 50 (which is mediocre if you want to be the world’s best opener) to keep people off his back or does he want to strike a 15 ball 40ish or a 10 ball 30ish to give his side the momentum to make a big score.

Pakistanis want a 50, they don’t care about how many balls it takes him. They love the fascination of a milestone

He’s unsure what he’s supposed to do to please people

Does he need to score a 30 ball 50 (which is mediocre if you want to be the world’s best opener) to keep people off his back or does he want to strike a 15 ball 40ish or a 10 ball 30ish to give his side the momentum to make a big score.

Pakistanis want a 50, they don’t care about how many balls it takes him. They love the fascination of a milestone
Babar is miles better then sheryas and finn Allen, Said a very very wise and honest young man from Uganda.

Babar is miles better then sheryas and finn Allen, Said a very very wise and honest young man from Uganda.
Shreyas and Fin Allen would humbly say that too tbf. They would also tell you that random no names from their local clubs back home are more gifted and talented than they are. Most good players around the world never care about where they truly stand in world rankings. They want their team to win. That’s it.

I don't understand the role of chacha iftikhar what's the point of having him if he isn't going to bowl. Why not just play a proper batsmen like irfan khan or usmsn khan

And why are there so many khan's in the team

Shreyas and Fin Allen would humbly say that too tbf. They would also tell you that random no names from their local clubs back home are more gifted and talented than they are. Most good players around the world never care about where they truly stand in world rankings. They want their team to win. That’s it.
Theirs a saying

A man who pretends to be wealthy, wears a fancy suit, tries to act high and mighty, watches his words to sound sophisticated and is obsessed with proving himself as superior.

A man who is actually wealthy dresses casual or like a slob even, most of the time his hands are bruised and he's covered with sweat, he hardly has his ways with words, often saying the first thing that comes to his head, And all the looks he gets, he doesn't bat an eyelash and what other people think of him is none of his business.

Simply put the wealthy man is brusied and sweaty from hard work that has continued to make his wealthy. And everyone else's opinions are worthless to him as those people are beneath him in every which way.

But the one who pretends to be wealthy, people's opinions are valuable to maintain an image, as one negative comment will cause him to ceise to function.

This mantra can be applied to babar/ Rizwan and then apply it to people like fakhar, Sheryas and what not. Best example being.

Babar: I am t20 anchorer, I am the best.

Babar after getting humbled

Babar: It seems when fakhar performs no one can stop us, fakhar is pur best batter onsong.

Meanwhile fakhar: I'll bat wherever the team needs me and will win for Pakistan inshallah.

Just play father in place of Saim, that the only thing that can make sense considering Saim's form.

Just play father in place of Saim, that the only thing that can make sense considering Saim's form.
No.

Just play Fakhar and Saim as openers. And relax, they will do the job when no one can and you really need big guns to fire.

No.

Just play Fakhar and Saim as openers. And relax, they will do the job when no one can and you really need big guns to fire.
Well, that is another thing we can ask for but it is far from reality to happen.

No.

If prefer fakhar and Usman khan atm as openers. Saim needs a re-evaluation. But not a permanent drop.

If prefer fakhar and Usman khan atm as openers. Saim needs a re-evaluation. But not a permanent drop.
Believe in Saim. He will come through bro.

I hate the direction Pakistan took with Babar and Rizwan at the helm…but one thing they have done right (out of reluctance) is back this kid for the T20 World Cup.

Let’s not panic, we need to see this through. He will come good. I know it in my soul he will.

True. That’s how far from reality we are as a cricket nation.
I mean, people were celebrating Ireland victory as a god gift from heaven?

Like sharam karo aur doob maro. Since when did beating Ireland become a symbol of pride?

The expectation in this series was for us to wash them, bully them and leave for England to have a tough out of our skin conpetiton.

Instead we are having a tough conpetiton against Ireland and we're going to England as Kitty cats while their bringing german police dog shepards to the fight 😂

I hate the direction Pakistan took with Babar and Rizwan at the helm…but one thing they have done right (out of reluctance) is back this kid for the T20 World Cup.

Let’s not panic, we need to see this through. He will come good. I know it in my soul he will.
AlrightE fair enough, I'll back your belief in that case.

I mean, people were celebrating Ireland victory as a god gift from heaven?

Like sharam karo aur doob maro. Since when did beating Ireland become a symbol of pride?

The expectation in this series was for us to wash them, bully them and leave for England to have a tough out of our skin conpetiton.

Instead we are having a tough conpetiton against Ireland and we're going to England as Kitty cats while their bringing german police dog shepards to the fight 😂
Tbf bro the guys celebrating it have been getting slaughtered for the reality checks Pakistan has been served recently by Ireland and NZ D. They deserve some celebration.

At some point you need to pull the plug. Can't keep playing Saim and Azam if they are not contributing.

Sahibzada Farhan has been hard done by.

At some point you need to pull the plug. Can't keep playing Saim and Azam if they are not contributing.

You can pull the plug after the World Cup if he really has been atrocious.

Just be patient now. I don’t like to give suggestions or advice that would help Pakistan cricket. Every team sheet with Rizwan in the side as an opener I want that side to lose. I really do. But this is one suggestion or piece of advice I am giving you Pakistan fans for your sake.

Take it if you want. Back him and witness the results

Let Saim play this game as well. Dropping him might shatter his confidence. He might be out for good if he is benched now. I want him to excell like jaiswal is.

Let Saim play this game as well. Dropping him might shatter his confidence. He might be out for good if he is benched now. I want him to excell like jaiswal is.
He needs to perform, every Pakistan fan right now is definitely hoping that happens.

But he has gone 16 innings without a single 50, while the strike-rate is hardly better than Babar or Rizwan. So, the experiment so far has failed.

We can't waste other openers just because we believe Saim is a good talent. If he is, he needs to perform at international level.

You can drop him. But you won’t be able to justify it when guys like Vaughan and Gilchrist start questioning it against England with the world watching.

Best of luck.

It looks more with time that fans in general are getting goldfish memory more and more
No that’s not the case. Certain section of fans with particular agendas want this guy and Azam out of the side. I know exactly why. They are looking for an opportunity every game to enforce this agenda.

No that’s not the case. Certain section of fans with particular agendas want this guy and Azam out of the side. I know exactly why. They are looking for an opportunity every game to enforce this agenda.
Fact of the matter is that Saim and Azam haven't performed as much as we expected from them in international yet. But there's no denying that if Pakistan want to compete with best teams and future proof the t20 side. They need Saim and Azam.

Fact of the matter is that Saim and Azam haven't performed as much as we expected from them in international yet. But there's no denying that if Pakistan want to compete with best teams and future proof the t20 side. They need Saim and Azam.
Trust them

They are 2 out of 4 proper T20 batters in the squad

They will fire

Babar is the most powerful cricketer in the country. He has earned it
He may be the most powerful but he hasn't earned it, in the same way misbah didn't earn it or rizwan either.

I'm suprised no one gave sarfraz this much power deapite a beyond insane t20 record even though misbah kinda ruined it by 5 dots for sarfi since he came in as a coach. Heck they didn't even give him this much power during ct 2017.

Sarfi clearly wanted fakhar as an opener in all formats including test, and clearly wanted babar as a no 3 only in every format, amd inad wasim as his main allrounder. Heck his advice on Abid ali and Fakhar opening together was not listened to due to Mickey Arthur ego for abid.

Sarfi also advocated for zafar gohar to be the main spinner in his side but zafar made it clear he doesn't want to play for pcb, mickey just didn't like spinners.

But when sarfi was captain it was also disagreements with coach.

Why was babar given the power to walk all over hafeez and mickey with zero questions? Based of what aukaat? How did is his nawaz and shadab tu hai mera match winner over abrar and imad go for him.

These 2 shadab amd nawaz ended up being the worst bowlers in the entire tournament besides Joe root who isn't even a bowler? W
I think their stats were as bad as David Warner bowling in the warmups lmao.

Lord Hume…what a legend

-removed Babar Azam to make sure Fakhar arrives early at the crease

-drops a sitter of Rizwan on the last ball of the powerplay

-drops a sitter of Fakhar in the next over

My man did everything to make sure Pakistan wins

I suspect with the series on the line that it will be an unchanged team.

There is no chance with so much at stake that any of the "big guns" is dropped and I think they will stick with Saim.

If Pakistan lose today then there will be regime change.

Lord Hume…what a legend

Embrassing stuff from Pakistan really.

Lord Hume…what a legend

Don't forget the pies he delivered for Azam to eat up when he first came at the crease.

Pakistan should hire this player permanently. To play for the opposition team of course.

Don't forget the pies he delivered for Azam to eat up when he first came at the crease.

Pakistan should hire this player permanently. To play for the opposition team of course.
Lord Hume was not on the receiving end of Azam Mark Henry. That was Mark Adair.

2 of those sixes landed in Northern Ireland

It makes sense though, Hume is a nothing bowler. He got Bobzy out
Tbh bro babar wasn't that bad pre 2022. He was overhyped, but he was a solid batter, a reliable bat who can be considered an odi specialist and backs the team.

It's 2022 onwards he seems to have lost it. Idkw fans are deluding themselves now, anytime I bring things up such as his avg decreasing by 8 points. Its almost 9 points now, his sr decling, his 17 avg tournament, his horrifically bad series since his captimacy while opening people always just say

He's world class. Remember 2019? Remember 2021? Remember Nepal E Azam in Pakistan?

If people are waking up to someone like rohit sharma clearly being out if it now. He's still good but in wc it was clear he's now just a 10 over specialist, why can't they wake up on Babar?

This isn't a lean patch of form, it's been 2 years where it seems he needs associates + pindi pitches to function.

Razzaq is better than Babar said a guy who can't who pretends to support Pakistan but in reality is an Indian fan.

Tbh bro babar wasn't that bad pre 2022. He was overhyped, but he was a solid batter, a reliable bat who can be considered an odi specialist and backs the team.

It's 2022 onwards he seems to have lost it. Idkw fans are deluding themselves now, anytime I bring things up such as his avg decreasing by 8 points. Its almost 9 points now, his sr decling, his 17 avg tournament, his horrifically bad series since his captimacy while opening people always just say

He's world class. Remember 2019? Remember 2021? Remember Nepal E Azam in Pakistan?

If people are waking up to someone like rohit sharma clearly being out if it now. He's still good but in wc it was clear he's now just a 10 over specialist, why can't they wake up on Babar?

This isn't a lean patch of form, it's been 2 years where it seems he needs associates + pindi pitches to function.
2022 seem to be his peak. Since then he has fallen off by his standard. Failed every big test. WT2022, WC2023, AsiaCup2023 and Australia Tour 2023. I don't know if an opportunity like this will arrive for him where he could've within a year shown the world that he truly belongs to that next level/

Razzaq is better than Babar said a guy who can't who pretends to support Pakistan but in reality is an Indian fan.
I stand by that. Razzaq doesn't average the lowest out of any opener ever. Infact he makes it into every single odi 11 for Pakistan.

His stats are amazing for the specific era he batted in and the lower order that he bats in. So yes I 100% support the notion over babar who got bowled out by a 44 year old saqlian mushtak in the nets( Saqlian was 44 when he was bowling to babar)

Babar kn the other hand gets exposed outside of pindi and has been for tye past 2 years now.

Razzaq as a lower order bat is miles ahead of babar. Babar batting at no 7 would be the biggest comedy sitcom I've ever seen.

2022 seem to be his peak. Since then he has fallen off by his standard. Failed every big test. WT2022, WC2023, AsiaCup2023 and Australia Tour 2023. I don't know if an opportunity like this will arrive for him where he could've within a year shown the world that he truly belongs to that next level/
I'm always willing to defend babar pre 2022. I have no issues with that.

But post 2022 is where I'm not willing to stand by nonsense support or any lies.

Infact rizwan who people claim is an inferior version to babar, has consistently outperformed babar for 2 years.

Babar has only outperformed rizwan in Pakistan. Anywhere else in Asia or overseas, Rizwan has had superior Asia cups, world cups, tests performances, series performances etc etc. On form rozwan is miles ahead of babar and it isn't even close but rizwan doesn't get the media attention to babar because rizwan is ugly at the crease and isn't really attractive to watch while babar has that classy vibe even though that classy vibe is doo doo.

Ironically only time babar performances properly was post captaincy where he was excellent as a no 3 during shaheen's captaincy, as soon as he gets captaincy back he sucks 10x as hard again.

People need to wake up, Babar of 2016-2021 is not the same babar we see today.

I stand by that. Razzaq doesn't average the lowest out of any opener ever. Infact he makes it into every single odi 11 for Pakistan.

His stats are amazing for the specific era he batted in and the lower order that he bats in. So yes I 100% support the notion over babar who got bowled out by a 44 year old saqlian mushtak in the nets( Saqlian was 44 when he was bowling to babar)

Babar kn the other hand gets exposed outside of pindi and has been for tye past 2 years now.

Razzaq as a lower order bat is miles ahead of babar. Babar batting at no 7 would be the biggest comedy sitcom I've ever seen.
I refuse to engage with someone who thinks razzaq is better than Babar.

I refuse to engage with someone who thinks razzaq is better than Babar.
Then why reply to me? If you don't wish to engage then don't engage.

I'll repeat myself. Razzaq makes it into an odi Pakistan 11, Babar does not.

Razzaq inning of 109 against sa is something that no player besides fakhar's 193 against sa has ever come close to matching nor will Babar ever match it.

The day Babar is capable of playing such a knock that razzaq did then we'll talk, fakhar already achieved a greater knock of 193, why hasn't Babar? Who you claim is superior?

Babar's true strengths lie in Tests and ODIs, and if I were in his position, I wouldn't prioritize T20s. Focusing on excelling in Tests and ODIs would solidify his legacy, whereas dabbling in T20s might dilute it.

Babar's true strengths lie in Tests and ODIs, and if I were in his position, I wouldn't prioritize T20s. Focusing on excelling in Tests and ODIs would solidify his legacy, whereas dabbling in T20s might dilute it.
No, he's been equally poor in test and odi excluding pindi and lahore since 2022

Likely going to be an unchanged side but I would like to see Abrar & Shadab in for Imad & a pacer. You know exactly what you have in Imad as well as Amir but I think its important to get an idea how useful Abrar can potentially be for you if needed in the WC and figure out how best to use Shadab going forward. Is it as a bat first allrounder where he bats around that 5th spot vs spinners and bowls a couple of overs or is a bowling first allrounder?

At this point, the top 6 bats should continue as this is Pakistan's best potential lineup. Keep giving as many reps to Saim to figure it out. Fakhar at 4 seems to be working quite well and hopefully Babar/Rizwan can change their mindset from accumulation to a more hitting mindset especially in the powerplay.

👉 Squad update - Tuesday

Fionn Hand and Gavin Hoey have been brought into the Ireland Men's squad for today.

@PakEngFan
I guess presidential duties require him to brown nose as soon as there's a bit of difference in opinion with his gang.
I stand by what I said,

Sheryas >>>>>>>>> Babar
Finn Allen >>>>>>>>> Babar
Prime Abdul Razzaq >>>>>>>> Babar

If I was a batsmen playing international I'd be >>>>>>>>>>>> Babar and disrespecting your legend misbah with the bat.

Likely going to be an unchanged side but I would like to see Abrar & Shadab in for Imad & a pacer. You know exactly what you have in Imad as well as Amir but I think its important to get an idea how useful Abrar can potentially be for you if needed in the WC and figure out how best to use Shadab going forward. Is it as a bat first allrounder where he bats around that 5th spot vs spinners and bowls a couple of overs or is a bowling first allrounder?

At this point, the top 6 bats should continue as this is Pakistan's best potential lineup. Keep giving as many reps to Saim to figure it out. Fakhar at 4 seems to be working quite well and hopefully Babar/Rizwan can change their mindset from accumulation to a more hitting mindset especially in the powerplay.
I'm surprised how little Abrar has featured. Maybe they don't want to expose his bowling too much before the World Cup and retain his mystery but you'd think he'd trouble Ireland's batsmen.

I'm surprised how little Abrar has featured. Maybe they don't want to expose his bowling too much before the World Cup and retain his mystery but you'd think he'd trouble Ireland's batsmen.
Naw, Babar don't swing that way. He genuinely believes the team he's playing is their strongest 11.

Babar dislikes abrar for some unholy reason. Didn't even want him to feature for wc 23

PAK bowling first . Game over for Ireland.
It seems like Pakistan has realised that they suck as a batting first team. Thank god. It took them 1.5 years to realise what it took me a second to realise lol.

Itni zid from the captain?

Back