Time up for the Babar Azam-Mohammad Rizwan opening partnership in T20Is?

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
These quotes from Wahab Riaz's presser at the time of the squad announcement for the NZ T20I series:

So Sahibzada Farhan as potential opener:

"Going forward, you will have to do experiments, and our job is to provide a team for the coach, director, and captain. Obviously, we have Sahibzada Farhan as an opener, so going forward, we will have to see what combination of teams they go with and who they prefer.”

“In the world, if you look, there are so many examples that those who are openers, they open in their own domestic team, but when they go into international teams, those people also play at number three, four, five, six, and seven as well, so this is what the criteria is. It is not necessary that if we are giving performances in domestic, and if you take out the overall domestic season, then mostly you will see all the performers as openers. Some of you will hardly see a performer at number 3 like Azam Khan, who is scoring runs. We take the example of Travis Head. We take the example of Mitchell, Marsh, or Stoinis. If we look at the English team, then you can take the example of Livingston. Phil Salt has also played below; these are the boys who open for their teams, but when they play for their international team, then they are given those roles, so now we have to give those roles to the boys. They have that capability and capacity, so we are giving these guys a chance. Now hopefully, the boys will also respond in this way so that things will be easy for them and for us too."

But are Babar and Riz out of the picture for the opening slot?

“Any player who opens in this series, and if he is not Babar or Rizwan, just in case, and he comes in and gives a good performance, it is not necessary that he will grab that place. Often in Pakistan, it happens that a player who is performing consistently, due to some illness or fitness reasons, cannot play a particular match. Then someone else comes in his place, and if he performs, we prefer him. In my opinion, the one who is a consistent performer should get that place back,"

“One example we have seen in Australia is when Mitchell Marsh scored a hundred, but Travis Head, who was in their plan and was opening earlier, played as the opener when he returned from Australia to play the first match. When a player has performed so well and you have invested so much in him, he should not be kicked out of the team or replaced because of one or two innings.”​

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be a terrible decision and would destroy a very good pair.
Eventually what will happen that we will see short term success with a new pair that hits boundary, than it gets exposed, and than we will be running back to Babar and Rizwan pair when its too later.

Eventually what will happen that we will see short term success with a new pair that hits boundary, than it gets exposed, and than we will be running back to Babar and Rizwan pair when its too later.

What sort of success Babar and Rizwan bring by opening the batting?

Pakistan usually reaches 100-0 in 14 overs with both of them intent on scoring their 50s.

Don't quote me exceptions and show one or two matches where they chased 200 and I am fully aware a broken clock can show correct time twice a day.

The norm is 100-0 in 13 overs or 14 overs.

New things should be tried.

Riz-Babar was essential at a time when we had jokers in our middle order.

Now the batting is looking a little better we can afford to be riskier at the top.

If it doesn’t work out we know we can always go back to it.

Pakistan usually reaches 100-0 in 14 overs with both of them intent on scoring their 50s.

Don't quote me exceptions and show one or two matches where they chased 200 and I am fully aware a broken clock can show correct time twice a day.

They win you matches

They have scored 200 mark 4-5 times and have often went over the 180 mark.

Twice they have defeated India, once was in a World Cup that no Pakistani team has ever done.

There approach works and it gets us a good score. Fans just want reckless boundary hitting and thats why want to change the opening pair.

Isn't Shaheen a Babar die-hard fan? How can he ask Babar to drop down?

Their issue is lack of fire-y starts. The consistency is not an issue. I think one of then at least has to come out of position and play at no. 3. Allow someone like a Harris or a Fakhar to settle into open.

Pakistan have lacked good starts in many important matches and it's not always possible for lower order to catch up and make up for their low starts.

Yep. Would rather be 130-3 in 13-14 overs than 100-0.

Babar and Rizwan will just stop Fakhar and Saim kind of players to flourish . Babar should bat at 3 and Rizwan at 4. You can’t have Fakhar at 4 just because of player power

They were completely exposed in t20wc . It was Harris who played some impactful cameo

Isn't Shaheen a Babar die-hard fan? How can he ask Babar to drop down?
Then he will never be a good captain and always remain an average . Captaining Lahore and this is completely different he has to know which are his impactful players and not succumb to dosti yaari like babar . If he wants to play it safe and support Babar Rizwan just because he don’t want to upset them then he will never be great captain . Captain has to make sacrifices for team . Wasim kept waqar on bench in 99 WC . Afridi didn’t let half fit akhtar play semi final despite being his biggest supporter . Instead Wahab played and made an impact . These decisions have to be made

If Saim and Fakhar are to open then Babar can play at 3 but how will you include Rizwan? He has no place if he has to be in the middle order, he is not suited for a middle-order position.

Babar and Rizwan will just stop Fakhar and Saim kind of players to flourish . Babar should bat at 3 and Rizwan at 4. You can’t have Fakhar at 4 just because of player power

Babar and Riz do not control Pak cricket

Wahab, Hafeez, Zaka

All of them have the power.

Let's see them walk the walk

Rizwan is the greatest t20 opener in the history of Pakistan cricket. He keeps his spot, no question about it.

Babar is a natural number 3 - he drops down.

That means either Fakhar or Saim get the opening spot and the other one goes at 4.

I guess we line up like this for the first t20:

Rizwan (wk)
Saim
Babar
Fakhar

If i have to shuffle the order, I will keep it like this. Sahibzada Farhan can come in but you have to leave Rizwan out and play Azam khan down the order.

Rizwan
Fakhar
babar
saim

Rizwan is the greatest t20 opener in the history of Pakistan cricket. He keeps his spot, no question about it.

Babar is a natural number 3 - he drops down.

That means either Fakhar or Saim get the opening spot and the other one goes at 4.

I guess we line up like this for the first t20:

Rizwan (wk)
Saim
Babar
Fakhar

Nice statement but I differ.

See the thinking is if you give the same freedom to Haris or Saim or anyone else opening they can replicate Rizwan.

What is so hard about not taking risks and scoring 50 off 40 balls in a T20?

Rizwan has NEVER had the pressure of trying to up the ante or playing faster than 50 odd off 40 balls for his last 100 games. He has been told to bat as he likes.

However, Rizwan cannot bat like Saim or Haris when he needs to up the ante because for one is too selfish and secondly his game is not good enough.

You can write eulogies about Rizwan being greatest T20 opener on earth but it doesnt change the fact that he is just a con show.

If Saim and Fakhar are to open then Babar can play at 3 but how will you include Rizwan? He has no place if he has to be in the middle order, he is not suited for a middle-order position.
I think the team will try to fit in Babar Rizwan in top 3. Given the opening options for Pakistan and should they all perform. It will become difficult for Babar or Rizwan to keep up with the Strike Rate. Potentially leaving one out of the preferred XI. Unlikely this will happen though.

Here's an interesting stat in T20Is for Babar Azam:
(Stats include all of Babar's batting positions)

Babar Azam in T20Is
Innings​
Runs​
Average​
Strike Rate​
As Captain
65​
37.84​
As Player
33​
1290​
126.59​
W/O Opener Rizwan
31​
1232​
124.57​
With Opener Rizwan
62​
36.44​
2016 - 2017
14​
468​
121.87​
2018 - 2019
22​
937​
2020 - 2021
32​
1215​
40.50​
2022 - 2023
30​
865​
33.26​
126.27​

Number 1 and number 2 have been Babar and Rizwan. Look at the stats for the top 6 positions. Looks like the problem is at number 3 and at the finishing department.

1703061457693.png

Babar and Rizwan,

The number 1 Jodi

Time is not up. The combination is working well. Let them continue for the ICC T20I World Cup 2024. Don't try a new combination ahead of the World Cup, it will decline our T20I team as well.

Fakar and Ayub for me any day. We need to dominate the power play-overs, not go at 125 sr.

Pakistan’s greatest T20 opener is a self admitted anchor.

This is when fans embrace mediocrity. We deserve this humiliation.

No harm in trying something new. Teams have to evolve and grow. Babar and Riz have had 3 major t20 tournaments that we have failed to win. Why not give someone else a chance?

Pakistan’s greatest T20 opener is a self admitted anchor.

This is when fans embrace mediocrity. We deserve this humiliation.

Actual quote from Rizwan is here

It is very difficult role (anchor role in shortest format) and sometimes it looks very embarrassing," Rizwan told reporters. "What my experience says and what I know is that whenever someone hires me, they demand me to play the anchor role like the way I do in Pakistan.

"I always assess the condition, assess the opponent and do these kinds of things (anchoring the innings) and sometimes it is embarrassing because in T20 everyone knows we love sixes and they want me to score 60-70 runs from 35-45 balls, but for me to win the match.

Nice statement but I differ.

See the thinking is if you give the same freedom to Haris or Saim or anyone else opening they can replicate Rizwan.

What is so hard about not taking risks and scoring 50 off 40 balls in a T20?

Rizwan has NEVER had the pressure of trying to up the ante or playing faster than 50 odd off 40 balls for his last 100 games. He has been told to bat as he likes.

However, Rizwan cannot bat like Saim or Haris when he needs to up the ante because for one is too selfish and secondly his game is not good enough.

You can write eulogies about Rizwan being greatest T20 opener on earth but it doesnt change the fact that he is just a con show.
Tbh I appreciate you shared your opinion with logic and respect. I know Rizwan drives people loopy (haha) so it’s actually refreshing to see someone write a non praising post about him without crying their eyes out.

Looks like we’ll be seeing some opening experimentation so let’s see how it pans out.

Rizwan’s spot should be challenged and he should prove he has the mettle to hold it over any and all comers.

Rizwan has been too good at the opening position to be replaced. Babar on the other hand needs to up his game to retain his spot. I could see Saim come in for Babar in the next T20 World Cup.

When in form the Riz-Babar opening pair is the best in the world but when one of them isn't in full flow then I feel it's damaging. Both these guys are good enough to not get out early even when out of form, which is a problem in the T20 format because it wastes the power play.

They should play the NZ series so that we can see how their current T20 form is. If they fail then we can start to think about shuffling the order.

Also, I'd like to add that Rizwan was Pakistan's highest run scorer in the recently concluded World Cup.

Babar Rizwan opening duo was good initially but the steam has fizzled out from their performances. Need some explosive duo on the top now.

Rizwan has been too good at the opening position to be replaced. Babar on the other hand needs to up his game to retain his spot. I could see Saim come in for Babar in the next T20 World Cup.

When in form the Riz-Babar opening pair is the best in the world but when one of them isn't in full flow then I feel it's damaging. Both these guys are good enough to not get out early even when out of form, which is a problem in the T20 format because it wastes the power play.

They should play the NZ series so that we can see how their current T20 form is. If they fail then we can start to think about shuffling the order.

Also, I'd like to add that Rizwan was Pakistan's highest run scorer in the recently concluded World Cup.
You can barely find a list which Rizwan doesn’t top.

International cricket, PSL, most runs in a calendar year, World XI’s… he is streets ahead of his competition.

One day, I will look back and thank the Lord that I do not have to experience the trauma of watching Babar and Rizwan open for Pakistan.

That would be my Shawshank redemption climatic moment.

One thing the 50 over world cup taught is the importance of Fakhar zaman and his ability to do what no other Pakistan player can do on any given day.
Fakhar has not opened in t20s now since 2020 and has never opened in t20s for Pakistan in a world cup- (He has 93 chasing 180 in tri series final).

That is his natural position and he has on the whole struggled at 3. We need to split this jodi up and adopt a more dynamic approach- Babar can come at 3.
We cant waste Fakhar at 3 anymore-

One thing the 50 over world cup taught is the importance of Fakhar zaman and his ability to do what no other Pakistan player can do on any given day.
Fakhar has not opened in t20s now since 2020 and has never opened in t20s for Pakistan in a world cup- (He has 93 chasing 180 in tri series final).

That is his natural position and he has on the whole struggled at 3. We need to split this jodi up and adopt a more dynamic approach- Babar can come at 3.
We cant waste Fakhar at 3 anymore-
Probably Fakhar Zaman is the only player we have who can play modern-day cricket. His batting while chasing 400+ against New Zealand in the ICC ODI World Cup 2023 was unreal.

Babar Azam and Rizwan are not clutch players; they are accumulators. Yet, I think there is no need to change the opening pair ahead of the ICC T20I World Cup 2024.

Probably Fakhar Zaman is the only player we have who can play modern-day cricket. His batting while chasing 400+ against New Zealand in the ICC ODI World Cup 2023 was unreal.

Babar Azam and Rizwan are not clutch players; they are accumulators. Yet, I think there is no need to change the opening pair ahead of the ICC T20I World Cup 2024.
With all due respect what you just mentioned summarises the mentality and mindset, which if continued won’t lead to a change of approach .

We are not willing to give our most clutch player another run in his most preferred position because we want to continue with two accumulators at the top .

The Babar and Rizwan duo has a record behind them to speak. Yes, fakhar can open with Rizwan and Babar can come on number 3 but in T20s, you would not want an accumulator playing at an important number 3 slot. Babar has the caliber to succeed on that number but he will prefer to open whenever he is asked about it.

Kamran Akmal, consultant of national team chief selector Wahab Riaz, while speaking on local media program denied the reports of resting Babar and Rizwan and said that:

"Neither the selection committee has thought of resting Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan nor the team management has said so, but there has been no discussion in this regard."

"Both are our best players and automatic choices that cannot be ignored as our team for any major cricket event is not complete without them. However, they can be rested against smaller teams where necessary to try out new players and build back-up."

"The purpose of selecting new players for the tour of New Zealand is also to prepare a back-up that will give them confidence when they play with players like Babar and Rizwan."

"I had been seeing for a few years that domestic cricket was not being given importance in the team selection and the team was being selected based on the performance of the PSL and that is why the team is in this state today while the players For the same reason, they are ignoring four-day domestic matches and giving priority to PSL."

"Pakistan cricket team's performance in T20 has always been excellent. The same team has won three national tournaments in New Zealand and has the potential to beat New Zealand at its home ground and win the T20 series as the national team has a good combination of batsmen at every number to win. Just have to play positively with passion, good plan."

Both are our best players and automatic choices that cannot be ignored as our team for any major cricket event is not complete without them

The embrace of mediocrity

A sad indictment of Pakistan cricket.

Mediocrity hamara muqqaddar hai

Number 1 and number 2 have been Babar and Rizwan. Look at the stats for the top 6 positions. Looks like the problem is at number 3 and at the finishing department.

View attachment 140473
yes because they have had the luxury of playing at run a ball without taking any risks which really is a approach for a 50 over game. give anyone that luxury and they will still average better with a better strike rate.

yes because they have had the luxury of playing at run a ball without taking any risks which really is a approach for a 50 over game. give anyone that luxury and they will still average better with a better strike rate.
This is such a myth. If they could they would have already tried it/done it. Even at PSL they would have done it. We have had openers in the past and again none of them have come close to these two in performance.

Most of our guys don’t even strike faster than these two except iftikhar. And yet have far worse averages. If these guys can drop 3 SR and average something substantial they should definitely do it.

The best players in the world have high averages and high sr. Our non performing batsmen struggle because they can not score consistently. Not because they try to score too fast (as evidenced by their low SRs to go with their averages).

Even Fakhar in internationals t20 his sr is low even when opening. He isn’t losing his wicket by being more aggressive than those two, it’s because he has a much harder time staying in and getting comfortable. He usually as in ODIs only does most of the acceleration once he’s actually set not early on.

Even though that's what I also want I think I would take one of Babar or Rizwan dropping down to 3 that's a positive move.

Even though that's what I also want I think I would take one of Babar or Rizwan dropping down to 3 that's a positive move.
Yep. One of them is needed at no. 3. The other may open or may have to be dropped simply. Depending on how other openers perform.

I don't think it would harm Pakistan cricket in the long-term to experiment a little, specially with the T20 World Cup on the horizon. Saim, Fakhar, Sahibzada even Haseebullah Khan should be given opportunities to open or bat at the top.

Kamran Akmal, consultant of national team chief selector Wahab Riaz, while speaking on local media program denied the reports of resting Babar and Rizwan and said that:

Why are they so scared to even think about it? #Sochna....

Because Saya will turn up to their house like Maya in shootout and Lokhandwala

If that is how powerless PCB has then it's a sad indictment on Zaka and his cronies.

If that is how powerless PCB has then it's a sad indictment on Zaka and his cronies.
I think Zaka is the one who’s taken the bull by the horns. Unlike Ramiz who was more than happy for it to maul into our cricket.

Give it time, Zaka will bury this organisation. Some guys like to go guns blazing and completely get caught off guard. Guys like Zaka are smooth operators. They know how to systematically dismantle their opposition.

Why are they so scared to even think about it? #Sochna....
why should they be rested? If Babar scores a 100 against Ireland or Zimbabwe, people complain, if he plays against a side like NZ, people still complain.

NZ is not a minnow. So why shouldn't Babar and Rizwan not be playing against them? There will be series with minnow teams and I agree that they should rest against minnow sides. But resting against NZ makes 0 sense.

why should they be rested? If Babar scores a 100 against Ireland or Zimbabwe, people complain, if he plays against a side like NZ, people still complain.

NZ is not a minnow. So why shouldn't Babar and Rizwan not be playing against them? There will be series with minnow teams and I agree that they should rest against minnow sides. But resting against NZ makes 0 sense.
We will decide the caliber of the NZ side selected

You can be sure that Kane, Conway, Santner and Boult will not be playing

Fine then say so clearly

Don't send out ambiguous messages which pretend to show that you are thinking of something amazing and then come up with these motherhood statements.

If Babar and Rizwan are immovable, say so and move on but then be ready to take on criticism.

We will decide the caliber of the NZ side selected

You can be sure that Kane, Conway, Santner and Boult will not be

So where should Babar and Rizwan play to get match practice plz tell us here.

What other teams are doing or playing is non of our concern. We need to give practice to our players. Atleast those players get IPL to play in, we either have to adjust to lower leagues or international cricket.

Like i said, i have no issue with resting players agianst Nl, AFG or Bangladesh. But when you start saying rest should be given agianst NZ that just shows that you want to drop the player and using the excuse of rest

Fine then say so clearly

Don't send out ambiguous messages which pretend to show that you are thinking of something amazing and then come up with these motherhood statements.

If Babar and Rizwan are immovable, say so and move on but then be ready to take on criticism.
i agree with this.
This ambiguity factor is something we have started to see post 2016. Everyone wants to be politically correct no one wants to admit. Even PCB chairmans make decisions that is based on social media support. These guys worry too much how they will be percieved by social media followers instead of making a decision which is right.

Infact, the social media usage in Pakistan is crazy to the point that you can land yourself a job through it.

So where should Babar and Rizwan play to get match practice plz tell us here.

What other teams are doing or playing is non of our concern. We need to give practice to our players. Atleast those players get IPL to play in, we either have to adjust to lower leagues or international cricket.

Like i said, i have no issue with resting players agianst Nl, AFG or Bangladesh. But when you start saying rest should be given agianst NZ that just shows that you want to drop the player and using the excuse of rest
What do you mean? How are they constantly getting outplayed by guys who hardly play any international cricket through the calendar year and only feature in ICC tournaments? Since when is it Babar and Rizwan’s birthright to play every meaningless game for Pakistan? Only for them to be shown up and then rescued by a guy who isn’t getting any game time (Mohammad Harris).

The con is over. You don’t have Ramiz, Misbah and others in the mainstream controlling the narrative.

What do you mean? How are they constantly getting outplayed by guys who hardly play any international cricket through the calendar year and only feature in ICC tournaments? Since when is it Babar and Rizwan’s birthright to play every meaningless game for Pakistan? Only for them to be shown up and then rescued by a guy who isn’t getting any game time (Mohammad Harris).

The con is over. You don’t have Ramiz, Misbah and others in the mainstream controlling the narrative.
how is nz series meaningless?

You still have not answered me, if Babar and Rizwan are not suppose to play against NZ, than plz tell us who should they play against for match practice?

Where did i said its their birthright to represent pakistan? Thing is you get dropped when you dont perform, and the last time i checked Babar and Rizwan are perfoming for Pakistan in t20 cricket whether you like this fact or not.

What narrative? Plz discuss things logically for once.

If Babar and Rizwan are to be rested against NZ, than plz tell us who should they play against and where?

Yep. One of them is needed at no. 3. The other may open or may have to be dropped simply. Depending on how other openers perform.
I don't think they will drop any of the two it's just depends who bats at 3 and who opens.

I don't think it would harm Pakistan cricket in the long-term to experiment a little, specially with the T20 World Cup on the horizon. Saim, Fakhar, Sahibzada even Haseebullah Khan should be given opportunities to open or bat at the top.
The reason why Haris didn't make the squad is because they know they will have to play him and they know that Haseebullah won't get a game because he wasn't in the radar.

The reason why Babar should have been rested is because their wad reports he wanted to rest during the test series.

The reason why Babar should have been rested is because their wad reports he wanted to rest during the test series.
reports?

Were these reports from any authentic source?

You still have not answered me, if Babar and Rizwan are not suppose to play against NZ, than plz tell us who should they play against for match practice?
If it isn’t meaningless, why are these teams never playing their full strength against Pakistan? What are you going to gain or lose by winning a 5 match bilateral series? Pakistan have already qualified for the World Cup in West Indies, what’s exactly at stake? Your not getting practice for the conditions in that part of the world…so what is there to be gained by continuing with the same combination of players that have proven to not be good enough?

Please don’t ask me to argue logically with you especially how you do not have the ability to understand the game and how it is evolving around the world. You and I will never see eye to eye on white ball cricket, you belong to a completely different mindset to mines and I do not have the time and patience to educate someone that is willing to come out of 2007 when T20 cricket became a format.

The narrative that you are in denial of. It was Misbah who fooled the world that Babar and Rizwan are better opening options for Pakistan than Sharjeel and Fakhar (when he had all 4 in his squad to experiment with but didn’t do it once!), the narrative that Ramiz Raja empowered with his pathetic mindset of having his head stuck up Imran Khan’s 80s/90s captaincy…and thinking Babar can do whatever he wants and is answerable to no one.

If you want to talk logic, first accept that you and modern cricket understanding are not up to the mark. Accept it and we will talk ‘logic’.

He wants a rest from ILT20 too and play Bangla premier league instead. That’s his true level

Where did i said its their birthright to represent pakistan? Thing is you get dropped when you dont perform, and the last time i checked Babar and Rizwan are perfoming for Pakistan in t20 cricket whether you like this fact or not
What is your definition of performance though????

What was their performance in the world T20? How do you perform against New Zealand C in a 4 match series and still draw the series at home????

Riz-Babar was essential at a time when we had jokers in our middle order
RizBar came into existence when Pakistan had Hafeez and Shoaib Malik doing the clean up job in the middle. Are these the jokers you are referring to?

What legends do we have now in the middle for RizBar to be finally moved on??

Where did i said its their birthright to represent pakistan? Thing is you get dropped when you dont perform, and the last time i checked Babar and Rizwan are perfoming for Pakistan in t20 cricket whether you like this fact or not.

What narrative? Plz discuss things logically for once.

If Babar and Rizwan are to be rested against NZ, than plz tell us who should they play against and where?
How much match practise do they require.

I don’t know…maybe another 10 years of playing in the same position in every game for Pakistan and their PSL franchises? That should be enough practice…the last 4 years were not enough I think.

I don’t know…maybe another 10 years of playing in the same position in every game for Pakistan and their PSL franchises? That should be enough practice…the last 4 years were not enough I think.
I was all for Babar and Rizwan opening for the last world cup but its time we try something else and see what other players bring to the table.

I was all for Babar and Rizwan opening for the last world cup but its time we try something else and see what other players bring to the table.
Why is it time now? Do you admit this pair was a failure and insult to modern cricket?

Babar and Rizwan are two great players but we don't want them as openers anymore.

If it isn’t meaningless, why are these teams never playing their full strength against Pakistan? What are you going to gain or lose by winning a 5 match bilateral series? Pakistan have already qualified for the World Cup in West Indies, what’s exactly at stake? Your not getting practice for the conditions in that part of the world…so what is there to be gained by continuing with the same combination of players that have proven to not be good enough?

Please don’t ask me to argue logically with you especially how you do not have the ability to understand the game and how it is evolving around the world. You and I will never see eye to eye on white ball cricket, you belong to a completely different mindset to mines and I do not have the time and patience to educate someone that is willing to come out of 2007 when T20 cricket became a format.

The narrative that you are in denial of. It was Misbah who fooled the world that Babar and Rizwan are better opening options for Pakistan than Sharjeel and Fakhar (when he had all 4 in his squad to experiment with but didn’t do it once!), the narrative that Ramiz Raja empowered with his pathetic mindset of having his head stuck up Imran Khan’s 80s/90s captaincy…and thinking Babar can do whatever he wants and is answerable to no one.

If you want to talk logic, first accept that you and modern cricket understanding are not up to the mark. Accept it and we will talk ‘logic’.
what other teams do is non of our concern. Why should we care or weaken our own practice for icc tournament based on what the opposition does?
You need match practice, you build strategy when your whole team is playing together. If Babar and Rizwan are to play in middle order, that is not something they should be doing magically in an ICC tournament, first they need to practice it in actual icc games and than implement it in ICC tournamnets/

I am going to ask the same question again from you. Who should Babar and Rizwan play against than if not against NZ?

forget this narrative talk, its irrevelent, we know you hate rizwan.

Modern cricket? Yeh the last time i saw Babar and Rizwan have been part of a team that has score 200 in t20 like 4 times and 180 multiple times.

You dont care about modern cricket, you just hate Rizwan no matter what he does, and you will support any person that will make a move against Babar. Even your opinions are heavily bias and depends upon the other persons view or action against Rizwan. That is how bias you are.

Practice means whatever strategy that you will apply in the icc tournament you need to first practice and the result of that strategy in the normal series games.

If you are going to play Fakhar and Farhan at 1 and 2, and babar and rizwan at 3 and 4, than you cant just play that strategy in an ICC tournament out of no where. You first implement this strategy in a series, see the results and than implement it in icc tournament.
Even if Babar And Rizwan are going to open with Fakhar and Farha to bat at 3 and 4, the whole team will have to practice that strategy.

The notion around here is that rest Babar and Rizwan against NZ which is ridiculous. NZ is not a minnow team.

So you believe Babar didn't ask for rest.
I dont know what the true story is, and i am not going conform to my biasness.

Unless there is an authentic report or proof of Babar himself saying he wanted to be rested for the test series, these reports are just heresay.

The reason why Haris didn't make the squad is because they know they will have to play him and they know that Haseebullah won't get a game because he wasn't in the radar.
The problem with Haris is he's a aggressive minded player, he the type of player that will go after the bowling attack, regardless of players in said attack. He will target 10 RPO in the first 6 overs.

The problem with him is, he needs to evolve. He can't just rely on scoop shots, no look shots. He needs to learn the art of building an innings regardless of the format, whereas Haseebullah Khan to a certain extent understands this.

However Haseebullah's game isn't accustomed to T20I, specially with the way Pakistan need to play. He would basically be a Shan Masood in T20I.

It's done well over 2 WCs but it's not a life long contract and others need to be given a chance. Let's see Saim given a run with Farhan and if it doesn't look right, well these guys can be brought back.

They should have been rested for this series. Best case scenario, we find a better, more modern opening duo that can do better than they have, worst case scenario the new guys flop and Babar and Rizwan can go back to doing their 110 strike rate stuff

what other teams do is non of our concern. Why should we care or weaken our own practice for icc tournament based on what the opposition does?
You need match practice, you build strategy when your whole team is playing together. If Babar and Rizwan are to play in middle order, that is not something they should be doing magically in an ICC tournament, first they need to practice it in actual icc games and than implement it in ICC tournamnets/

I am going to ask the same question again from you. Who should Babar and Rizwan play against than if not against NZ?

forget this narrative talk, its irrevelent, we know you hate rizwan.

Modern cricket? Yeh the last time i saw Babar and Rizwan have been part of a team that has score 200 in t20 like 4 times and 180 multiple times.

You dont care about modern cricket, you just hate Rizwan no matter what he does, and you will support any person that will make a move against Babar. Even your opinions are heavily bias and depends upon the other persons view or action against Rizwan. That is how bias you are.
We've hit higher scores more times with Rizwan and Babar because of the platform they set. People moan about individual strike rate, but the slow down that comes with tumbling wickets is often worse. I would love it if those two had a bit higher SRs, but compare to the rest of our team it's not exactly bad. The openers before them over the years were truly awful, they are a massive upgrade on those. I think people forget how bad they were. They were ironically slower too, like Shehzad.

In terms of people actually deserving of even having a shot at opening it's few. You have to perform somewhere in order to get a valid chance. The case "anyone will do" doesn't hold. There's no point weakening our opening pair unnecessarily. These two are the backbone of our entire line up. Saw what happened in that Afghanistan tour, was an absolute mess.

Fakhar is really the only one who has legitimately pushed for an opening spot by actually performing over multiple PSLs and domestic, as well as showing success in ODIs. However he's been given a lot of chances already opening and at 3. It's his failings which is why these two are there in the first place. And both have showed him up seeing how he failed all those years in T20s as opener.

Sharjeel briefly was another. But of course got himself removed by fixing. That's his fault. He doesn't even have domestic/PSL form anymore. As for Haris and Saim, I think we are so desperate we are just trying to rush these guys in knowing they aren't ready or complete players yet.

If we want to replace these two, it has to be someone who is actually better than them right now and can come in and perform. Otherwise no point weakening ourselves for experimentation. And really I think only Fakhar realistically fits that question, and even then it's a bit iffy since his past T20 record goes against him.

We've hit higher scores more times with Rizwan and Babar because of the platform they set. People moan about individual strike rate, but the slow down that comes with tumbling wickets is often worse. I would love it if those two had a bit higher SRs, but compare to the rest of our team it's not exactly bad. The openers before them over the years were truly awful, they are a massive upgrade on those. I think people forget how bad they were. They were ironically slower too, like Shehzad.

In terms of people actually deserving of even having a shot at opening it's few. You have to perform somewhere in order to get a valid chance. The case "anyone will do" doesn't hold. There's no point weakening our opening pair unnecessarily. These two are the backbone of our entire line up. Saw what happened in that Afghanistan tour, was an absolute mess.

Fakhar is really the only one who has legitimately pushed for an opening spot by actually performing over multiple PSLs and domestic, as well as showing success in ODIs. However he's been given a lot of chances already opening and at 3. It's his failings which is why these two are there in the first place. And both have showed him up seeing how he failed all those years in T20s as opener.

Sharjeel briefly was another. But of course got himself removed by fixing. That's his fault. He doesn't even have domestic/PSL form anymore. As for Haris and Saim, I think we are so desperate we are just trying to rush these guys in knowing they aren't ready or complete players yet.

If we want to replace these two, it has to be someone who is actually better than them right now and can come in and perform. Otherwise no point weakening ourselves for experimentation. And really I think only Fakhar realistically fits that question, and even then it's a bit iffy since his past T20 record goes against him.
i completely agree with you.
Whenever the openers have changed they barely got a score. The afg series was best example of this.

Back