Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

No no Shafiq does not brainfart. Shafiq doesn't brainfart because Shafiq does not have a brain.

What type of stupid stupid shot is that in this situation?

Re: Bring Back Umar Akmal! | Umar Akmal Discussion Thread [Merged]

No no Shafiq does not brainfart. Shafiq doesn't brainfart because Shafiq does not have a brain.

What type of stupid stupid shot is that in this situation?

Let's not get in to the brain farting game...

Let's keep it objective.

Umar Akmal has scored runs on pitches with juice against top bowlers.

Shafiq has not.

We are playing on a pitch with juice against top bowlers.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out who should be playing.

This test match is gone, but management needs to reshuffle the batting order and u akmal will not be flown in no matter how few runs shafiq, hafeez or any other batsman scores, I am sure faisal iqbal or haris sohail will play ahead of anyone if these batsman fail again in the 2nd test.

Akmal has played most of his tests in these type of conditions so an average of alomost 36 with a 65 s/r is commendable.

Let me remind you what he has achieved on Wickets which assisted Bowlers..Do not need to mention the Newzealand series in which he made debut..

Pakistan Batsmen's Averages in England vs England 2010:

Player Matches Innings Runs Average

Umar Akmal 4 8 184 79* 30.66

Mohammad Yousuf 2 4 99 56 24.75

Azhar Ali 4 8 152 92* 21.71

Salman Butt 4 8 128 48 16.00

Imran Farhat 4 8 118 33 14.75

Shoaib Malik 2 4 53 38 13.25

Yasir Hameed 2 4 41 36 10.25

Umar Amin 2 4 40 23 10.00

Kamran Akmal 3 6 24 13 4.00

Zulqarnain Haider 1 2 88 88 44.00

Pakistan in Australia 2010

Salman Butt 3 6 280 46.66

Umar Akmal 3 6 199 33.16

Muhammad Yousuf 3 6 178 29.66

Misbah 2 4 76 25.33

Pakistan in Westindies

Now have a look at Westindies tour stats,his last series:

Misbah-ul-Haq 2 4 181 60.33

Umar Akmal 2 4 166 41.50

Taufeeq Umar 2 4 165 41.25

Azhar Ali 2 4 154 38.50

Asad Shafiq 2 4 48 12.00

Mohammad Hafeez 2 4 46 11.50

And they say that he failed on these tours..as if others set the world on fire in these tours:)))

He has not done so bad as it is made out to be by the haters..

This is too funny. What the hell is Akmal going to do that the rest cannot? What difference is he gonna make? These are bowling friendly and alien conditions for Pakistani batsmen with top class bowlers taking advantage. Akmal has not proved himself anywhere else so what is he to do in South Africa?

Is this for real? Akmal can't play tests as of now, no doubt about it.

Umar Akmal gets too much stick on here.

He's one of the few batsman we have who can play swing at least.

Since he does not play tuk tuk wicket he "throws" his wicket away.

Atleast today he would have maybe cut or driven the ball unlike our phatoo batsman

lol, yes at 30/5, Umar would most likely have felt the call of the hour would be a huge six over midwicket and have edged behind. His fans should be relieved he isn't having to face this test attack - can keep his mythology alive.

Akmal has faced some top class fast bowlers in conditions similar to this in his 1st few tours (away) and has batted at a s/r of 65 with a decent if not amazing average of 36. He has more courage than some pathetic chickens we saw out there today.

lol, yes at 30/5, Umar would most likely have felt the call of the hour would be a huge six over midwicket and have edged behind. His fans should be relieved he isn't having to face this test attack - can keep his mythology alive.

It's the old English philosophy of the bloke outside the team becoming a superstar.

Remove those NZ knocks by Akmal and pull up his averages, they wouldn't be much better than his teammate's. He's okay, but the hype of him here is immense.

It's the old English philosophy of the bloke outside the team becoming a superstar.

Remove those NZ knocks by Akmal and pull up his averages, they wouldn't be much better than his teammate's. He's okay, but the hype of him here is immense.

Really?

Fact 1 - NO ONE has score more runs in Aus/SA/NZ/Eng since 2009 for Pakistan - IE when the going gets tough!!

Fact 2 - NO ONE has more 50's than him since 2009 when the going gets tough.

Fact 3 - NO ONE has more 100's than him since 2009 when the going gets tough.

Fact 4 - Only 2 people have LESS DUCKS than him since 2009 when the going gets tough (despite having played the MOST INNINGS AGAINST THAT OPPOSITION)

Fact 5 - NO one has scored more 6s since 2009 when the going gets tough.

Fact 6 - Only 3 players have a better average when the going gets tough- and they have played LESS THAN HALF THE NO OF INNINGS

Fact 7 - Only 1 batsman has more 4s since 2009 when the going gets tough

Fact 7.5 - Akmnal has the HIGHEST SCORE of anyone since 2009 when the going gets tough.

Fact 8 - He has done all that at a HIGHER STRIKE RATE than anyone else since 2009!!!!!!!!!!

Fact 9 - His replacements - Hafeez, Farhat, Azhar, Shafiq, Faisal Iqbal - Languish miles behind him!!!!!!!!!

Fact 10 - Its all objective - You cannot argue with these FACTS.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359813697672.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359813697672.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Yeah, but I said "remove" the NZ series and pull up the figures.

Even a spud like Shaun Marsh had a good series to start off.

He averages 28 without but I don't agree with removing NZ, they're still a test playing nation and they had Bond in that series. He played well but he's built his whole hype around that similar to Afridi's years after his century against SL.

Yeah, but I said "remove" the NZ series and pull up the figures.

Even a spud like Shaun Marsh had a good series to start off.

I never said he's great - just better than the others.

Lets take off the highest scores of each of the bastmen and see what their record look like....?

Why remove Umar Akmal in NZ? Was it his cat who scored those runs against Bond & Vettori?

Why remove Umar Akmal in NZ? Was it his cat who scored those runs against Bond & Vettori?

lol - I really did have to lol.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fz0010nqM3w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lol...

Yeah .. U. Akmal would have destroyed Steyn , Philander and Morkel single handedly.

He would have batted like Vivian.

He never crumbles under pressure.

He would have single handedly won the match for Pakistan....

Lol...

Yeah .. U. Akmal would have destroyed Steyn , Philander and Morkel single handedly.

Nope - please don't twist things.... :)

Please simply respond to the stats and facts listed above.

If you really are a Dr - you will understand what FACTS usually mean?

Lol...

Go and defend your awful gul. :D

Nope - please don't twist things.... :)

Please simply respond to the stats and facts listed above.

If you really are a Dr - you will understand what FACTS usually mean?

Yaar...

Seriously look at facts.

I can support U. Akmal's inclusion in ODI's , that too with some reservation.

But when Steyn is bowling like this , even Tendulkar wouldn''t have had a chance, what to talk of U.Akmal

Did you actually see his figures ? 8 - 6 - 8 - 6

You think Akmal could have nullified him?

Keep dreaming.

Get him in for the next tour , right now he will go there and fail because of no acclimatization.

Pakistan rarely play outside Asia/West Indies/Zimbabwe from memory and looking at the FTP, so if I were Akmal I would be thankful to allow my teammates be led like lambs for slaughter in the toughest of conditions and watch my reputation grow in the meantime in spite of not even playing a match!

Yaar...

Seriously look at facts.

I can support U. Akmal's inclusion in ODI's , that too with some reservation.

But when Steyn is bowling like this , even Tendulkar wouldn''t have had a chance, what to talk of U.Akmal

Did you actually see his figures ? 8 - 6 - 8 - 6

You think Akmal could have nullified him?

Keep dreaming.

Im talking about facts.... and you are talking about hypotheticals?

Please stick to facts - It makes life a lot easier.

I dont know what Umar Akmal would have got.... 0-400*... Pick any number in between. Frankly it doesnt matter!!!

All I know is that based on the FACTS ABOVE (post 1112) - Umar Akmal was MORE LIKELY to get MORE RUNS than many of the others got today....

Can you argue with the FACTS?

Last edited:
Pakistan rarely play outside Asia/West Indies/Zimbabwe from memory and looking at the FTP, so if I were Akmal I would be thankful to allow my teammates be led like lambs for slaughter in the toughest of conditions and watch my reputation grow in the meantime in spite of not even playing a match!

Whilst I see what you are saying...

See Post 1112... Forget reputations.. look at what has been actually achieved.

Lol...

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

:yk

Akmals love playing fast bowlers..they'd have enjoyed batting against this Saffer attack.

Im talking about facts.... and you are talking about hypotheticals?

Please stick to facts - It makes life a lot easier.

I dont know what Umar Akmal would have got.... 0-400*... Pick any number in between. Frankly it doesnt matter!!!

All I know is that based on the FACTS ABOVE (post 1112) - Umar Akmal was MORE LIKELY to get MORE RUNS than many of the others got today....

Can you argue with the FACTS?

So in short: if he succeeds , I told you so .

If he fails : he is still talented, give him time cuz he is young.

Can you say yes to both points ? Cuz that makes me decide what you really are : )

Can you say yes to both points ? Cuz that makes me decide what you really are : )

The facts are that he has done better than most pakistan batsmen in testing condition ..was second best in australia .. best averagewise against england in england .. 2nd best against west indies.

Simple fact is that you have to look at UPSIDE POTENTIAL with youngsters...

All youngsters make mistakes...

You look at what "Peaks" they hit...

Then in time they iron out the weaknesses and the "Peak" becomes regular...

Umar Akmal has done some wonderful things (albeit not as frequently as I would like)....

His "Peak" is higher than ANY player that has made their debut since Feb 2000.

Its for THIS REASON that I am a fan of Umar Akmal....

Its not about "TALUNT" - I HATE THAT WORD - IT SHOULD BE BANNED ON PP!!!!!

Its about what "peaks" you have hit.

Now if over a long period of time the "peaks" are so infrequent that he becomes a liability (ie he becomes the 6th best batsman in the side (in spite of his peaks) then I would drop him.

Now you decide how that fits in with your question.

Last edited:
averages 90+ with 95 sr. in ODIs we have won chasing so yes he doesn't..

What about the ones he has failed to deliver.

would you mind counting them ?

anyways this is about tests, not ODI's. You are basing him playing tests without any temperament for tests. : )

Simple fact is that you have to look at UPSIDE POTENTIAL with youngsters...

All youngsters make mistakes...

You look at what "Peaks" they hit...

Then in time they iron out the weaknesses and the "Peak" becomes regular...

Umar Akmal has done some wonderful things (albeit infrequently)....

His "Peak" is higher than ANY player that has made their debut since Feb 2000.

Its for THIS REASON that I am a fan of Umar Akmal....

Its not about "TALUNT" - I HATE THAT WORD - IT SHOULD BE BANNED ON PP!!!!!

Its about what "peaks" you have hit.

Now if over a long period of time the "peaks" are so infrequent that he becomes a liability (ie he becomes the 6th best batsman in the side (in spite of his peaks) then I would drop him.

Now you decide how that fits in with your question.

Hmm,

okay as long as you hate the word "Talunt" I'm fine.

Here's the thing. I think he is lucky that Pakistan seriously suffers from lack of batting talent.

That makes him get away with most atrocious of shots at worst possible time.

As far as tests are concerned, I think you should be happy he is not playing.

Perhaps we can continue living on his New Zealand thrashing myths for a long time, because I have a feeling even he would have struggled today : )

Wasn't Umar Akmal part of the team which was bowled out for 74,147, 182 and 80 in the swinging and seaming conditions of England?

He was going to do what exactly had he been picked?

Hmm,

okay as long as you hate the word "Talunt" I'm fine.

Here's the thing. I think he is lucky that Pakistan seriously suffers from lack of batting talent.

That makes him get away with most atrocious of shots at worst possible time.

As far as tests are concerned, I think you should be happy he is not playing.

Perhaps we can continue living on his New Zealand thrashing myths for a long time, because I have a feeling even he would have struggled today : )

lol - I hate the word with a passion!

He may have struggled - He probably would have struggled - But based on history he is more likely to have done better than everyone but Misbah Azhar or Younis (at the very least) on any given day.

Now lets move onto the bolded part of your post....

This is one of the things that I also hate about PP.... the obsession with getting out to atrocious shots!

Who the hell cares how someone gets out? Its what they do before they get out that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't Umar Akmal part of the team which was bowled out for 74,147, 182 and 80 in the swinging and seaming conditions of England?

He was going to do what exactly had he been picked?

Who knows? I am not in the game of being Mystic Meg....

If you look for one of Waqar Goraya posts above you will see the Pak batsmens average on the tour...

The question you should be asking is "Who is most likely to score more runs in tough conditions?"..

Please also refer to post 1112.

lol - I hate the word with a passion!

He may have struggled - He probably would have struggled - But based on history he is more likely to have done better than everyone but Misbah Azhar or Younis (at the very least) on any given day.

Now lets move onto the bolded part of your post....

This is one of the things that I also hate about PP.... the obsession with getting out to atrocious shots!

Who the hell cares how someone gets out? Its what they do before they get out that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No its winning that matters : )

Remember how Michael Hussey finished the job for Australia in the T20 WC semifinal?

Did he say, oh I made 50 of 20 balls. Someone else can do the job for me..

He carried his team through to the end.

Because at the end of the day , I'd take a winning 18* off 3 balls to win when 3 balls are remaining then a

40 off 40 balls and losing your wicket at wrong time : )

No its winning that matters : )

Remember how Michael Hussey finished the job for Australia in the T20 WC semifinal?

Did he say, oh I made 50 of 20 balls. Someone else can do the job for me..

He carried his team through to the end.

Because at the end of the day , I'd take a winning 18* off 3 balls to win when 3 balls are remaining then a

40 off 40 balls and losing your wicket at wrong time : )

Winning matters - but you need to understand that you win matches by SCORING MORE RUNS than the opposition....

Lets say there are 10 games on the trot....

The opposition team gets 250 batting first each time....

Pakistan chase each time....

There are still 250 runs to get in each game!!!!

You have 7 batsmen to get those 250 runs....

Those 7 batsmen need to get 36 runs each on average for us to WIN every game.

Only 1 person can get the "Winning runs".... in each game.

18 off 3?

That would only work if the previous batsmen had got 232 runs previously?

What was more important the 232 runs or the 18 off 3?

PS: I believe that :umarakmal averages ninety something chasing in wins?

Last edited:
Since his test debut Umar has played 5 complete test series.

Against Newzealand he was our Best batsman.
Against Australia in Australia He was our 2nd best.
Against England in England he again scored more than All our batsmen.
Against West Indies he was again our second best.

Hasn't played against bangladesh
Against south africa got only one innings and dropped
Against zimbabwe he got out in a most unfortunate manner and got dropped.

Winning matters - but you need to understand that you win matches by SCORING MORE RUNS than the opposition....

Lets say there are 10 games on the trot....

The opposition team gets 250 batting first each time....

Pakistan chase each time....

There are still 250 runs to get in each game!!!!

You have 7 batsmen to get those 250 runs....

Those 7 batsmen need to get 36 runs each on average for us to WIN every game.

Only 1 person can get the "Winning runs".... in each game.

18 off 3?

That would only work if the previous batsmen had got 232 runs previously?

What was more important the 232 runs or the 18 off 3?

PS: I believe that :umarakmal averages ninety something chasing in wins?

Yeah he does average that.

I never denied it.

Once again , you defend him because you think his job is done after scoring 35 , 40 odd runs.

Since your aspirations are so low for him, I really can't start an honest discussion with you : )

Since his test debut Umar has played 5 complete test series.

Against Newzealand he was our Best batsman.
Against Australia in Australia He was our 2nd best.
Against England in England he again scored more than All our batsmen.
Against West Indies he was again our second best.

Hasn't played against bangladesh
Against south africa got only one innings and dropped
Against zimbabwe he got out in a most unfortunate manner and got dropped.

Great to see you on side today... ;-)

This in a nutshell summarises the whole of :umarakmal s career and why he is a very unfortunate man.

Yeah he does average that.

I never denied it.

Once again , you defend him because you think his job is done after scoring 35 , 40 odd runs.

Since your aspirations are so low for him, I really can't start an honest discussion with you : )

?

My aspirations are high - very high (higher than yours)... but they remain aspirations only...

Your expectations are too high.... and you are confusing that with aspirations...

Fact is :umarakmal is a limited batsman.... but he is better than the the others. He can get better, but the CAN means nothing until he does it.

Last edited:
?

My aspirations are high - very high (higher than yours)... but they remain aspirations only...

Your expectations are too high.... and you are confusing that with aspirations...

Fact is :umarakmal is a limited batsman.... but he is better than the the others. He can get better, but the CAN means nothing until he does it.

Well if you expect every Pakistani batsmen to have done his job after scoring 30 to 35 odd runs ( not just Umar Akmal)

once again, there is no need to start a discussion is there ? : )

And on second thought, you say he is a limited batsmen , while most fans say he is just an amazing batsmen.

Why the contradiction ? Do they see something you don't? Or do you see something they are blind to see ?

: )

Well if you expect every Pakistani batsmen to have done his job after scoring 30 to 35 odd runs ( not just Umar Akmal)

once again, there is no need to start a discussion is there ? : )

And on second thought, you say he is a limited batsmen , while most fans say he is just an amazing batsmen.

Why the contradiction ? Do they see something you don't? Or do you see something they are blind to see ?

: )

1) No - I WANT Pakistani batsmen to average 40-50 and I could tell you exactly what they need to do to get there...

2) I EXPECT the currently best 6 (no matter how good or bad) to get selected.

3) There is no contradiction... fans see potential.... I deal in facts.

4) Umar Akmal to date has achieved little.... (You only need to see his average)

But at the age of 22 what he has achieved is nothing short of BRILLIANT for a Pakistani Batsman.

He IS pakistans best ODI batsman

He is AT THE VERY LEAST Pakistan's 4th Best Test batsman.

5) In conclusion - He is currently a limited batsman who has hit some really high peaks (no batsman since YK has hit that level of peak) - if he can make those peaks more frequent then he will be an "ecellent" batsman. Until that ACTUALLY happens I will be calling him a limited batsman who is our BEST ODI batsman and at the very least our 4th best test batsmen.

Net Net he should be in the team.

6) Haters gonna hate - but facts is facts.

Last edited:
step forward my savior, save Pakistan :bow::bow::bow::bow: :umarakmal

while we are at it, might as well call up Babar Azam and Ahmed Shehzad too as only these youngsta beauties can save Pakistan now :yk

Umar Akmal averages 24 in England only about two points more than Faisal Iqbal's average of 22.37 in England

Umar Akmal averages 63.16 in NZ when he was in Kohlisque form, Younis meanwhile averages 65.28 against them.

Some doze of sanity :misbah

Why are people even talking about Akmal? He is way behind the pecking order now.
Even if Asad gets dropped his place will be taken by Harris and after Harris we have guys like Ali Waqas who have been outperforming Akmal in the domestic scene.So i am not sure why Akmal fans get all excited whenever Asad fails. Cause even if Asad is dropped,he won't be replaced by a guy who isn't even in the 16 man squad.

It's laughable this thread has been bumped :))

Like if Akmal would've played a Laxman/Dravid innings.

Bring Back Umar Akmal! | Umar Akmal Discussion Thread [Merged]

No but he would have tried to play his shots and if he succeeded he would have messed the bowlers line up .

Who mentioned anything like that.

Have a read of post 1112 and u might learn a thing or two. :)

god umar fan boys get a grip!!every time a batsman gets out this thread is bumped.
as if umar bradman has hit 300 of 50 balls or something.

god umar fan boys get a grip!!every time a batsman gets out this thread is bumped.
as if umar bradman has hit 300 of 50 balls or something.

I think u also need to read post 1112

Right, can you please give me examples from the past when Akmal came in a similar situation as today and "messed" up the bowlers line?

Ok just one for now but the last test vs England in 2010
Everyone around him fell and he played his shots and scored well

Ok just one for now but the last test vs England in 2010
Everyone around him fell and he played his shots and scored well

Yaar 2013 agaya hy abb tow :(

Even Afridi played cricket for 13 years because on one century ...

Last edited:

Yaar 2013 agaya hy abb tow :-(

Aray yaar!

You have forgotten post 1112 so quickly?

Memory of a goldfish? :)

Yaar 2013 agaya hy abb tow :-(

I think he needs a run in the test side to prove himself I also think it will improve his ODI game . No harm in giving him a go it's not like everyone else is doing exceptionally well .

Aray yaar!

You have forgotten post 1112 so quickly?

Memory of a goldfish? :)

Yaar actually I think he should be tried in ODI

Wahan bi kafi bekaar time par out hoga, but at least he will make you happy by scoring 40 odd runs.

In tests, we cannot afford him to throw his wicket.

We cant afford anyone to throw their wicket to be honest, but he is the worst of them in this regard.

So ODI and T20 okay.

Yaar actually I think he should be tried in ODI

Wahan bi kafi bekaar time par out hoga, but at least he will make you happy by scoring 40 odd runs.

In tests, we cannot afford him to throw his wicket.

We cant afford anyone to throw their wicket to be honest, but he is the worst of them in this regard.

So ODI and T20 okay.

If u read post 1112 you will see that he scores more runs than the others in tough conditions before "throwing" his wicket away

I think he needs a run in the test side to prove himself I also think it will improve his ODI game . No harm in giving him a go it's not like everyone else is doing exceptionally well .

Actually everyone else is doing well, our test batting line-up has been decent for quite some time and today was their first big failure. So you want to drop people based on that and replace them with a guy who hasn't even made the test squad for a couple of years?

Actually everyone else is doing well, our test batting line-up has been decent for quite some time and today was their first big failure. So you want to drop people based on that and replace them with a guy who hasn't even made the test squad for a couple of years?

No get him atleast in the test squad and give him a go when someone is injured or is consistently failing .

Well the next in line is Faisal Iqbal as it's unlikely they'll throw another debutant in the deep end all hail the saviour Bhanja with his wafts outside off stump. (FACEPALM)
U Akmal averages 58 yes 58 after his dropping from the test squad in first class that is more than enough in anyone's book to get back in the squad.
Even a quickfire 20 today would've saved some face a 70 all out is forgotten after a while but the lowest total ever won't be forgotten in a hurry.

If u read post 1112 you will see that he scores more runs than the others in tough conditions before "throwing" his wicket away

Here's the thing dude.

He really is NOT test material. Doesn't have the patience to cut it at TEST level. NOT YET.

The moment he starts constructing his innings in ODI's ( hopefully by a consistent run at no 3 or 4 position for 15 games ) ,

And the moment he starts developing a sense of cricketing knowledge,

he can be safely added to the test squad.

You sound like the dude, Khaleefa, who said Pakistan must play test cricket aggressively like a T20 match.

I hope you really don't believe, that attacking all the time wins you test matches.

Here's the thing dude.

He really is NOT test material. Doesn't have the patience to cut it at TEST level. NOT YET.

The moment he starts constructing his innings in ODI's ( hopefully by a consistent run at no 3 or 4 position for 15 games ) ,

And the moment he starts developing a sense of cricketing knowledge,

he can be safely added to the test squad.

You sound like the dude, Khaleefa, who said Pakistan must play test cricket aggressively like a T20 match.

I hope you really don't believe, that attacking all the time wins you test matches.

Heres another thing.

To win tests in different conditions you need a mixture of attack and defence not all tuk's tuk's who won't take the attack to the opposition it's common sense really the team needs balance. :misbah

U Akmal has been the best or 2nd best batsman in his 4 of his 5 completed tours so far how exactly is his dropping from the team justified especially as he is the only attacking player in the team.

If that isn't test material then tell me what is? You're trying to say if he doesn't average 45-50 in every tour he should be dropped while others can get away with failure and then make up for on flat tracks?

Back