Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

I don't see why Test Cricket can't improve Umar Akmal's temperament.

I feel the selectors have blundered in leaving out Umar Akmal from the test squad. I'm not saying he should be in the starting XI, just being in the test set up would do him a lot of good at this stage of his career. The preparation and mind frame throughout a test series is where a young batsman will progress, being in such a test environment for a tough away series to SA would have been vital experience for Umar Akmal instead Faisal Iqbal has been selected :facepalm:

I don't see why Umar cannot succeed at test level. He is a prodigious attacking talent with a vast array of strokes, a type of talent which we haven't produced too many of, especially over the last 10-15 years that i've been watching Pakistan. You can't forget his debut test series (at 19) away to New Zealand and the proceeding away test tour to Australia, where overall he looked our best batsman (averaged 48 after those 6 away tests)

He needs to be managed accordingly, he's only 22 and long term i really think that along with Azhar Ali he can form the nucleus of our batting line-up. Right now Its a case of confidence and temperament, which the management/selectors can aid Umar, by keeping him within the test set up.

I feel the selectors have blundered in leaving out Umar Akmal from the test squad. I'm not saying he should be in the starting XI, just being in the test set up would do him a lot of good at this stage of his career. The preparation and mind frame throughout a test series is where a young batsman will progress, being in such a test environment for a tough away series to SA would have been vital experience for Umar Akmal instead Faisal Iqbal has been selected :facepalm:

I don't see why Umar cannot succeed at test level. He is a prodigious attacking talent with a vast array of strokes, a type of talent which we haven't produced too many of, especially over the last 10-15 years that i've been watching Pakistan. You can't forget his debut test series (at 19) away to New Zealand and the proceeding away test tour to Australia, where overall he looked our best batsman (averaged 48 after those 6 away tests)

He needs to be managed accordingly, he's only 22 and long term i really think that along with Azhar Ali he can form the nucleus of our batting line-up. Right now Its a case of confidence and temperament, which the management/selectors can aid Umar, by keeping him within the test set up.

Excellent post.

We need people that have foresight in thought running cricket. ...

Really. ... u really think Hafeez is going to score runs against Steyn and co?
He could do. Think he won't fail, but don't think he'll amaze, average of high thirties I predict. Just highlighting Umar Akmal's average for the President really ain't that great, it's just over fourty, even Hafeez had better stats.

Umar should be in the test squad but really should be topping these domestic competitions which he isn't to the extent guys like Fawad or recently Harris Sohail are.

I suspect if he does start doing so lots will want him back in the test squad anyway.

If you aren't in the test team, doing very well in these tournaments should really put pressure on selectors to include him, but as I've said fourty one ain't spectacular, even Hafeez beat him. When you're in the test team, international performance takes priority. No one really cares Azhar fails in these now as he's doing it on the international stage.

Not that hard for umar to get back in if he performs in domestic. What has happened now however is that Harris Sohail has been raining in the runs in first class and all formats, thus is now preferred over umar. Jamshed's been included too over Umar because he did so well in India and takes a place as a back up opener. Can't really complain about those two being ahead of umar in the squad.

Only one is Faisal who Umar should have been selected in front, but even then umar would have been just third choice to step in if someone gets injured.

We need people that have foresight in thought running cricket. ...

A lack of foresight which i feel is stopping us from truly reaching our potential! Just look at the running of some of the other boards such as the ECB, everything in the background is run in such a operative manner, it's a slick organisation if you can call it one, which ultimately rubs off onto the players. Take the example of Andrew Strauss' retirement from ODI cricket straight after the 2011 World Cup, here's a player whom on a personal level just had a good tournament (best batsman for the team, scoring a career high 150 odd etc..) but at 35 decides to concentrate on test cricket thus allowing England ample time to blood a new captain in time and really build for 2015. A decision made in foresight. I cannot imagine a Misbah or a Younus doing such a thing, not pointing the finger at them, ultimately it's the incompetency and unprofessionalism at the higher level which has insufficient foresight. Hopefully one day :ik

He could do. Think he won't fail, but don't think he'll amaze, average of high thirties I predict. Just highlighting Umar Akmal's average for the President really ain't that great, it's just over fourty, even Hafeez had better stats.

Umar should be in the test squad but really should be topping these domestic competitions which he isn't to the extent guys like Fawad or recently Harris Sohail are.

I suspect if he does start doing so lots will want him back in the test squad anyway.

If you aren't in the test team, doing very well in these tournaments should really put pressure on selectors to include him, but as I've said fourty one ain't spectacular, even Hafeez beat him. When you're in the test team, international performance takes priority. No one really cares Azhar fails in these now as he's doing it on the international stage.

Not that hard for umar to get back in if he performs in domestic. What has happened now however is that Harris Sohail has been raining in the runs in first class and all formats, thus is now preferred over umar. Jamshed's been included too over Umar because he did so well in India and takes a place as a back up opener. Can't really complain about those two being ahead of umar in the squad.

Only one is Faisal who Umar should have been selected in front, but even then umar would have been just third choice to step in if someone gets injured.

You have a lot of faith in Hafeez.

We shall see how he gets on.

I hope for Pakistan's sake he succeeds.

But I fear that this is hope rather than expectation

Scored 52 off just 40 balls with 10 four chasing 230 ish in the ongoing Quaid e Azam Trophy.
Lahore Shalimar required just 100 ish more to win and they have a full day to do it.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan-domestic-2012/engine/current/match/597585.html

Well that is his problem, he gets starts and throws it away and doesn't take his team home, that is exactly why fans/coaches are not happy about him. He seems to play for himself at the moment and not for the teams he represent.

Those 100 runs you were so easily talking about proved to be too much and Lahore lost this game today.

Well that is his problem, he gets starts and throws it away and doesn't take his team home, that is exactly why fans/coaches are not happy about him. He seems to play for himself at the moment and not for the teams he represent.

Those 100 runs you were so easily talking about proved to be too much and Lahore lost this game today.

That is a really interesting point.

Although none of us saw the game, :umarakmal should have been there till the end and made a big one.

in his last two fc games before this one ,he did convert his starts into match winning innings including his 76 in Presidents trophy final and one 100+ for LS before that game in Quaid e Azam Trophy
http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/engine/match/584312.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/engine/match/597574.html

..so you can't expect him to do it in every game.

Last edited:
in his last two fc games before this one ,he did convert his starts into match winning innings including his 76 in Presidents trophy final and one 100+ for LS before that game in Quaid e Azam Trophy
http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/engine/match/584312.html
http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/engine/match/597574.html

..so you can't expect him to do it in every game.

Of course not. But more often than not he has let his team and especially his country down.

I am a big fan of him and you can see who started this thread for 4 years ago, but I am not a blind fan. He needs to focus more on his game and the two games you mentioned above probably show he is on right course, let's hope he keeps improving.

I think he plays for himself. Not his team or country.

And I think constant pressure that the media has thrown on him makes him play that way.

Seems like he is happy to get a 50 just to prove he can bat. We all know he can bat. He needs to play for the team and country more often.

I don't think it's all his fault though. Too many expectations from him led to his meltdown. And now we suffer.

Of course not. But more often than not he has let his team and especially his country down.

I am a big fan of him and you can see who started this thread for 4 years ago, but I am not a blind fan. He needs to focus more on his game and the two games you mentioned above probably show he is on right course, let's hope he keeps improving.

yes he should not throw away his good starts but out of his last 3 he converted 2 into big scores so that's a positive sign.

Looks like he did throw his wicket, needs to continue his good form though. Also I hope come SA he plays in the top order in the Odis, mainly because after the opnerer our line up sucks so you might as well play your best bat up top

Slightly more talented version of Kamran Akmal having more effective late cut and can play around his legs more beautifully than Kamran ,not good at short pitch stuff but can handle it and usually loses his wicket at the crucial time.

Apart from the first line, this is probably the best way to describe UA

PS: This was said before his debut

Last edited:
HAven't seen the innings, so can't say; but often in low scoring matches attacking is a good way to counter in 4th innings, because even quick fire 40s/50s suddenly reduces 20/25% of the target in no time & bowling side are forced to defend. From scorecard, I think that was difficult wicket & 240+ was indeed a tough chase. Absolutely no comparison, but I have seen few & heard of many such "small but impactful" innings played by Viv Richards; when even on the most difficult of conditions he would have attacked the best bowlers of opposition & from the start 'll force them to back-foot; but then there ever had & 'll ever be one & only VIV.

But, the most disappointing part is, Umar is gradually establishing that, if he is put under pressure, he throws it. Players with his capability has less pressure to go into desperate shots & they can wait for the moment. Players like Javed, Zaheer, Saeed or Inzi we better chaser because they had so many shots & could afford themselves some more time. Umar started his career with brilliant composure, both in Test & ODI in in both cases, he had 2 very good partners to start with. This is where I guess he is going wrong; taking advice from too many mentors (& probably influenced by wrong persons). Time & again change in batting line up is not helping him either. Still he should be played in SAF ODI because that young man has serious ability.

HAven't seen the innings, so can't say; but often in low scoring matches attacking is a good way to counter in 4th innings, because even quick fire 40s/50s suddenly reduces 20/25% of the target in no time & bowling side are forced to defend. From scorecard, I think that was difficult wicket & 240+ was indeed a tough chase. Absolutely no comparison, but I have seen few & heard of many such "small but impactful" innings played by Viv Richards; when even on the most difficult of conditions he would have attacked the best bowlers of opposition & from the start 'll force them to back-foot; but then there ever had & 'll ever be one & only VIV.

But, the most disappointing part is, Umar is gradually establishing that, if he is put under pressure, he throws it. Players with his capability has less pressure to go into desperate shots & they can wait for the moment. Players like Javed, Zaheer, Saeed or Inzi we better chaser because they had so many shots & could afford themselves some more time. Umar started his career with brilliant composure, both in Test & ODI in in both cases, he had 2 very good partners to start with. This is where I guess he is going wrong; taking advice from too many mentors (& probably influenced by wrong persons). Time & again change in batting line up is not helping him either. Still he should be played in SAF ODI because that young man has serious ability.

Umar Akmal is currently the best midle order batsman in Pakistan!

Yes on current form and talent he is the best midle order batsman in Pakistan in all formats.

And guess what?! He is not even in the squad in South Africa when we are playing one of our most important series.

bwahaha.jpg

Re: Umar Akmal is currently the best midle order batsman in Pakistan!

Lol one failure and that too in practice game and Akmal apologists start dancing like boy wonder smashed a triple on a green top.

Younis Khan is not as good as he was especially against fast bowling.

I hope he proves me wrong in this series!

Come on say what you want to say.
I know you want every Pakistani batsman to fail so you can say that Umar Akmal deserved to be in the side.

Azhar and Asad are also better than Little Akmal in test matches.

Azhar yes, misbah yes, asad is more interesting. asad has made the most of his oppturnities and deserves to be in the team, but he has played almost all of his games in Asia while umar has played one innings. Outside of Asia asad has failed, bar one game agaisnt NZ where both captains called the pitch dead.

My issue with umar not being in the tests team stems from these 3 facts

1. Since his test debut he has averaged the most for any pak bat outside of Asia
2. When him and shafiq had the shootout in WI umar did pretty well ( 3rd best after misbah and taufeeq) while shafiq avg less than 10
3. Umar was essentially dropped because of one freak dismissal agaisnt Zimbo.

After that shafiq grabbed his oppturnities that were given by a captain favorable towards him. Like I said he deserves to be in the test team but why was umar completely dropped out of the squad. He should be in there along with haris sohail.

Last edited:
:))) akmal fans.

Everyone spare a thought for the Afridi fans, i can only imagine what they must be going through.

TBH i expect alot of such threads in the upcoming series. These fanboys wont miss an opportunity to jump on a player.

Akmal fans... :facepalm: :facepalm: they hate every other batsmen on our team and would love to see our batting fail so that umer can be shown Andhoo mai kanna raja.

NO. Never. Our other test batsmen are fine. We dont want a brainless batsman who cant even stay till the end of the game in a T20!!!!!!! I am actually happy he is not in south africa (even if he plays fast bowling great bcz he would throw a good start away). As long as he doesn't learn to make an innings he should not be in the team.

:))) akmal fans.

Everyone spare a thought for the Afridi fans, i can only imagine what they must be going through.

TBH i expect alot of such threads in the upcoming series. These fanboys wont miss an opportunity to jump on a player.

Pls tell me how I'm jumping on a player , I fully support shafiq being in the playing 11

these jokes always keep me entertained

Not me. This shows that they couldn't care less about winning or losing as long as their favourite player plays. Afridi was my favourite player. I love that guy but the moment he started to perform badly i was saying get him off the team, He creates collapses and dont bring him back till his form is back. No player is bigger than the game.

Pls tell me how I'm jumping on a player , I fully support shafiq being in the playing 11

Yes but recently Umar exploits of one good innings and three bad ones and his inability to absorb pressure and go the distance has made me say that he is right now not test material until he improves himself. Right now he cant even see us through in a T20 much less a test.

I know its only a practise match but Umar would have done a lot better then Shafiq & Misbah.

which player should be dropped to make way for akmal? what has he done in the current history to warrant an inclusion?

how about you read my posts, as a summary i feel this;

He gets into both limited overs sides on merit. An innings of 35 from 28 is as irresponsible as 32 from 89 especially if in both cases people are gifting wickets

in tests this is how i feel : Umar should not have been dropped after Zimbos tour BUT since then shafiq has made full use of his opturnites and so i do not want him dropped from the test side. Umar however should never have been dropped from the test SQUAD. There was no real reason for this especially since he was replaced by Faisal iqbaul and dogar.

He gets into both limited overs sides on merit. An innings of 35 from 28 is as irresponsible as 32 from 89 especially if in both cases people are gifting wickets

in tests this is how i feel : Umar should not have been dropped after Zimbos tour BUT since then shafiq has made full use of his opturnites and so i do not want him dropped from the test side. Umar however should never have been dropped from the test SQUAD. There was no real reason for this especially since he was replaced by Faisal iqbaul and dogar.

So whats the point of your posts. history lesson? Most of the things in Pak cricket probably should not have been done the way they were, but thats how it is.

No point talking about a spent force(mentally), hes had his chances (alot of em) and hes proven to be worse than his mentor Afridi. Domestic cricket would serve him well.

Yes but recently Umar exploits of one good innings and three bad ones and his inability to absorb pressure and go the distance has made me say that he is right now not test material until he improves himself. Right now he cant even see us through in a T20 much less a test.

read my detailed post regarding proving himself. Recent he has been below average but he still has won more games for pak as a batsman than any other player in the limited overs team.

So i say if you want him to prove even furthur send him up the order. Thats whats best for pakistan. To counter this people say did sachin or ricky bat up the order when they came in. My response to that is does umar have players like Azharudin, Mark Waugh, Taylor or Boon infront him. No despite playing at 6 he is our top ranked player by some distance. Quite a feat when we have the worst middle order in LoIs out of the top 6.

Its a general rule your best player should bat at the top. Why should Asad, azhar ( who looks lost at 3), younis, and misbah bat at the top spots when they all clearly cant cope.

Re: Umar Akmal is currently the best midle order batsman in Pakistan!

Players who are not part of the team are always better when your team doing badly.

So whats the point of your posts. history lesson? Most of the things in Pak cricket probably should not have been done the way they were, but thats how it is.

No point talking about a spent force(mentally), hes had his chances (alot of em) and hes proven to be worse than his mentor Afridi. Domestic cricket would serve him well.

in odis he has one more MOM awards than any other batsman in the team bar Hafeez ( allrounder) . He is pakistans top ranked player by more than 10 places. Yes he is worse than afridi, kick him out :facepalm:

First of all, even without Umar, I think the pak batting lineup can perform in SA.

As for Umar, his main issue is brain farts. His technique is very good, much better than other pakistani batters against pace. That's a fact.

He is being handled incorrectly IMO. Play him in tests and ODIs only. Keep him away from T20s. This way, he will learn to construct his innings, and stay at the crease longer.

Anyone who understands cricket, can easily see that Umar's footwork and balance transfer against pace is top notch. That cant be said about most other pakistani batters.

Worst or Best?

I think there are in-between places as well , Akmal haters will call him worst and akmal lovers will call him best . Let's accept that he is in-between worst and best and this makes him decent.

One of those typical knee jerk threads made by his fans. You gotta admit he's a mediocre player. A talented player wins match for his country and doesn't play stupid shots to put the pressure of the tail. Get it? :p

For me he is the best in limited over cricket and 4th best in test cricket ..Although he has the potential and talent to be the number 1 in each form of cricket and i am sure he will be the best in near future..

Joke of the century. I would say forget Umar Afridi is the best batsman and the best spinner in the country. He is also the best captain in the country.

Joke of the century. I would say forget Umar Afridi is the best batsman and the best spinner in the country. He is also the best captain in the country.

SS, technique wise, Umar is right up there. It's his innings construction that's the problem

SS, technique wise, Umar is right up there. It's his innings construction that's the problem

Strongly disagree. He has a very good technique against spin but not against pace. He is very limited with his options against pace hence he has to take risks against pace to score. Good players don't heave across the line as often as he does.

Umar Akmal has the best defence against pace bowling in the team , there is nothing wrong with his technique. Te problem is all in the mind.

SS you clearly haven't seen Umar bat or you've watched him only in T20's. Umar has the best technique against quick bowling in the whole team, ahead of YK.

Umar Akmal has the best defence against pace bowling in the team , there is nothing wrong with his technique. Te problem is all in the mind.

SS you clearly haven't seen Umar bat or you've watched him only in T20's. Umar has the best technique against quick bowling in the whole team, ahead of YK.

piece of BS.
Lately he has deviated to a point where does not even qualify to play tape ball cricket as a tulla maar batsman.

The only shot he seems have to left in his armory is the traditional and typical Pakistan slog towards deep midwicket.
And occasionally he plays the cut shot with no confidence.

He has lost all his talent to play over the head OR between the gap of cover and long off. He was never good with the flick off the toes, and he can't beat the point fielder anymore either ... he is just a deep mid wicket tulla these days and that's about it.

And his miserable fans after being shamefully humiliated by daring to compare him with Kohli, have now turned to comparing him with Sureh Raina. lol

Last edited:
Akmal should not be in the playing 11, but definitely should be in the squad. No doubt he is very talented and one of the few batsmen in Pakistan to have recently toured outside of Asia so he has a little experience on his side aswell. However, it is totally his fault that he was dropped he needs be more mature if people are going to take him seriously and give him chances.

:facepalm:

To everyone defending U.Akmal.
What use is his technique if he does not have a brain?

:facepalm:

To everyone defending U.Akmal.
What use is his technique if he does not have a brain?

still the best middle order limited overs batsman , unless you think younis khan and azhar ali are better and that misbah uses his brain in odis

Umar Akmal? No thanks.

he is the only guy that take the game to the Saffies. Guys like Azhar, Asad, Misbah cannot take over a game. How the hell did bhanja get selected over him!

We'll miss Umer Akmal badly in this series:(

Our batting without him is just incomplete..most are FTBs or can't play fast bowlers..

piece of BS.
Lately he has deviated to a point where does not even qualify to play tape ball cricket as a tulla maar batsman.

The only shot he seems have to left in his armory is the traditional and typical Pakistan slog towards deep midwicket.
And occasionally he plays the cut shot with no confidence.

He has lost all his talent to play over the head OR between the gap of cover and long off. He was never good with the flick off the toes, and he can't beat the point fielder anymore either ... he is just a deep mid wicket tulla these days and that's about it.

And his miserable fans after being shamefully humiliated by daring to compare him with Kohli, have now turned to comparing him with Sureh Raina. lol

haha you make me laugh..yeah he averaged 38 @ 85 strike rate in ODIs coming to bat 6,5 by just playing slogs right.BS..I'll rather have someone who CAN score against fast bowlers whichever way than those too scared to even tuk tuk them.

Strongly disagree. He has a very good technique against spin but not against pace. He is very limited with his options against pace hence he has to take risks against pace to score. Good players don't heave across the line as often as he does.

That's due to his brain farts, and trying to play big shots, often with a lot of pre-meditation. His technique, balance and footwork against pace bowling is very good.

haha you make me laugh..yeah he averaged 38 @ 85 strike rate in ODIs coming to bat 6,5 by just playing slogs right.BS..I'll rather have someone who CAN score against fast bowlers whichever way than those too scared to even tuk tuk them.

lol ahhaha stats, stats and stats. That's all your mental intellect can reach at it's peak.

if it was up to stats, Wasim Akram would have never made it to Pakistan team.
Trust me, there is a next level of judging a player's worth once you past the hurdle of stats.

in odis he has one more MOM awards than any other batsman in the team bar Hafeez ( allrounder) . He is pakistans top ranked player by more than 10 places. Yes he is worse than afridi, kick him out :facepalm:

I would if he were in the team. My question is what is the point of your posts.

Maybe Umar should talk to batting legends like Dravid. No shame in approaching for a help. I am sure he would help Umar.

Someone who knows what he's talking about :) Got dropped unfairly from the team, but deserves to be in the Test Squad at least!

Re: Bring Back Umar Akmal! | Umar Akmal Discussion Thread [Merged]

They should fly him in.

Back