Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

If Umar Akmal's technique and talent is so great, he should play at #3, the position for the team's best batsman.

Then we will see, how he copes with a newish ball

If Umar Akmal's technique and talent is so great, he should play at #3, the position for the team's best batsman.

Then we will see, how he copes with a newish ball

3 or 4 is his best position.

I would go with 4

3 or 4 is his best position.

I would go with 4
Umar averages 58 at three in t20s. But only five games.

Umar played most games at four in t20, 14 innings average 17.30. Which isn't good.

He averages 30 at five his second most played position and 28 at six his third most played position.

Now onto ODIs:
no.3, one game average 28. no.4 three games average 18. Fifth, second most no of games played average 38. Sixth most no of matches played average just under 42. While he hasn't played much at the top order, stats would indicate he's done better lower and he's done better at six than he has at five and played a lot at both positions.

In fact if he was averaging over fourty overall, which by playing at six he does easily, he'd probably get a lot less late, because then he'd be a batsman averaging over fourty.

Really don't think batting position means much at all, stats wise means little. He's a middle order batsman who doesn't need to worry much about SR because it's naturally good. Guy can bat anywhere in the middle order as most good middle order players can.

If he would be distinctly better at no.3, that would indicate he would be better against the new ball. i.e more of an opener than Middle order batsman. He looks like a middle order batsman, and is probably better against spin than pace. He also likes to go for his shots more, something more typical of a lower order batsman than a no.3.

I really don't think four is much different to playing at five where he's been mostly batting these days anyway. It's just one position. The biggest difference is opening and middle order personally, and it's Akmal's not an opener anyway.

The argument for batting a guy up the order if he's coming so low and so late, he can't do much. Which haven't been typical of the situations he's been in, e.g. last match. Umar isn't playing that responsibly down the order to really deserve a promotion up the order anyway, when he starts playing more responsibly, sure he'll move up. If he wants to bat at three, it's up to him to show some sort of temperament and then I'm sure he'll get his chance.

wonder how many times he has batted with a proper batsman still below him in the batting order?

even when he comes in at 5/6, who has he had below him...Afridi? Malik? :)))

True. That's why he should have been allowed to play at 4 and show everyone what he can do.

I think UA should play test cricket . I mean since he hasn't played test cricket his one day game is on the decline aswell . Test cricket might just bring out something in him that basically shows him he doesn't need to play stupid shots .

Both Umar and Azhar should play tests and only tests for the time being, for different reasons of course.

Didn't he score his only century at number 6?

that leads to my post #848

Actually, you owned yourself. First you say that Gul scored less at a better strike rate, and then you whine about the fact that Shafiq has scored more than Akmal.

Khan sab only put the SR argument after you had already mad a fool out of yourself.

Umar averages 58 at three in t20s. But only five games.

Umar played most games at four in t20, 14 innings average 17.30. Which isn't good.

He averages 30 at five his second most played position and 28 at six his third most played position.

Now onto ODIs:
no.3, one game average 28. no.4 three games average 18. Fifth, second most no of games played average 38. Sixth most no of matches played average just under 42. While he hasn't played much at the top order, stats would indicate he's done better lower and he's done better at six than he has at five and played a lot at both positions.

In fact if he was averaging over fourty overall, which by playing at six he does easily, he'd probably get a lot less late, because then he'd be a batsman averaging over fourty.

Really don't think batting position means much at all, stats wise means little. He's a middle order batsman who doesn't need to worry much about SR because it's naturally good. Guy can bat anywhere in the middle order as most good middle order players can.

If he would be distinctly better at no.3, that would indicate he would be better against the new ball. i.e more of an opener than Middle order batsman. He looks like a middle order batsman, and is probably better against spin than pace. He also likes to go for his shots more, something more typical of a lower order batsman than a no.3.

I really don't think four is much different to playing at five where he's been mostly batting these days anyway. It's just one position. The biggest difference is opening and middle order personally, and it's Akmal's not an opener anyway.

The argument for batting a guy up the order if he's coming so low and so late, he can't do much. Which haven't been typical of the situations he's been in, e.g. last match. Umar isn't playing that responsibly down the order to really deserve a promotion up the order anyway, when he starts playing more responsibly, sure he'll move up. If he wants to bat at three, it's up to him to show some sort of temperament and then I'm sure he'll get his chance.

You can look at the thread where you have averages of Umar Akmal according to the over he came in (bearing in mind that he bats at 6, so coming after 10 overs is after a collapse) and you'll see that he clearly needs to bat at no3.

Bump. junior akmal just made 102 not out for his domestic team.

Needs to show selectors he has fight in him to make big scores, this is a start.

Onus is on him to prove them wrong by scoring some big scores in upcoming President Trophy Final and in Q.A Trophy games......Even if he was selected he was not going to get in playing 11......I know he would have got more runs than many of our current batsmen but his manner of getting out infuriates people.....Even though he was second highest scorer in Windies,still he was dropped only for couple of loose shots..... People remember the last scene the most and his last scene is quite infuriating..?

I am still trying to figure out that who is better option ,the one who scores more and gets out on poor shot or the one who scores less but gets out on technical fault or decent ball...What you think?

If we check the stats then he does not deserve to be dropped....

In previous first class season he had scores of 97,20,165,44,7,93..Average 71
For this season's President Trophy Performance of our National Batsmen is:

Player Inns Runs HS Ave

Mohammad Hafeez 9 460 193 51.11

Azhar Ali 15 421 129* 30.07

Nasir Jamshed 13 411 123 31.61

Taufeeq Umar 15 360 82 24.00

Younis Khan 11 470 133 47.00

Misbah-ul-Haq 10 345 110 34.50

Asad Shafiq 8 173 80* 24.71

Umar Akmal 6 200 57* 40.00

And now he returns to first class cricket straightaway after reaching here from India and scores 107....

And we all know he has been contributing well in ODI's...

And he was the second highest scorer in difficult conditions in Windies.But was punished for his reckless way of getting out..

So,stats are his friends,but people want him to learn by staying out of the side.....I do not know whether it will have a positive impact or bad one...

Last edited:
Onus is on him to prove them wrong by scoring some big scores in upcoming President Trophy Final and in Q.A Trophy games......Even if he was selected he was not going to get in playing 11......I know he would have got more runs than many of our current batsmen but his manner of getting out infuriates people.....Even though he was second highest scorer in Windies,still he was dropped only for couple of loose shots..... People remember the last scene the most and his last scene is quite infuriating..?

I am still trying to figure out that who is better option ,the one who scores more and gets out on poor shot or the one who scores less but gets out on technical fault or decent ball...What you think?

Is this a serious question?

But I tell u something - there should be a thread on this question and a poll to see what the PP awam think.

Is this a serious question?

But I tell u something - there should be a thread on this question and a poll to see what the PP awam think.

This is the reason for his ouster....People want him to learn giving value to his wicket.....In return they are ready to accept Malik,Iqbal etc ....The ugly method of his getting out leaves a lasting impact on minds...

I have shown in post 880 it has nothing to do with stats..

Last edited:
Umar Akmal is probably "injured". Reason is his 2 brothers were dropped so he developed one. Good riddance whoevver is supporting an Akmal, there must be sumthing extremely fishy about it. We need an ICC anti-corruption unit to probe where does this support originate from.

waqar goraya is right; if there are 2 batsmen, first one scores 25 and then get out to a beauty, the second one scores 50 and then throw his wicket away; people will always blame the second batsman more than the first one.

waqar goraya is right; if there are 2 batsmen, first one scores 25 and then get out to a beauty, the second one scores 50 and then throw his wicket away; people will always blame the second batsman more than the first one.

Not necessarily a beauty ,it could be either because of technical flaw or a good ball.....Sometimes techniques make an average delivery look like a beauty...

Not necessarily a beauty ,it could be either because of technical flaw or a good ball.....Sometimes techniques make an average delivery look like a beauty...
beauty or a good ball; just the fact that batsman did not throw his wicket away will be appreciated more than the batsman who brainfarts regularly

beauty or a good ball; just the fact that batsman did not throw his wicket away will be appreciated more than the batsman who brainfarts regularly

Hmmm....Almost right ...but there is a difference in a technical flaw and a beauty..

reckon a season of county cricket would help his development as a test player. Still very young, plenty of time for comeback.

Nobody is indispensible, especially those partial to frequent brain farts...

Let Haris Sohail come in and grab the opportunity taken for granted by Jr. ...

Nobody is indispensible, especially those partial to frequent brain farts...

Let Haris Sohail come in and grab the opportunity taken for granted by Jr. ...

Taken for granted?

Do u know how hard test cricket is?

Who was the last class test make his debut for Pakistan?

Should be in in the squad and even in the playing XI...

But no need to talk about it again and again, I think till Misbah is captain we can be sure he is not going to play Test cricket...

Should of been in the Test Squad at least, would need his flair against South Africa

can only think of 3 good backfoot players in pak and 2 of them are akmals, the other is shazad. none are in the test squad but u akmal over asad is a def in sa.

Umar Akmal & Shehzad can both play off the backfoot well. Umar is brilliant at playing the short ball whereas Shafiq is not. Shafiq was having immense trouble against Bangladesh on a flat track with the short ball. Shahadat Hossain troubled him.

Pakistan need Umar to bat at 6 in SA.

He has. 42 average away against England, Australia, NZ and WIs. 40 average in WI, ie the series where he got dropped for not being good enough and sent to HK sixes, while some batsman averaging 20 got selected.

Who cares about his performance in stupid odis?

he is pre-disposed to brain farts in tests too, usually after making his career average of 40.

We actually like him , cuz he slogs his way to 40 in quick time : )

it's a shame a guy having average of 26 in 26 tests is selected ahead of him:facepalm: only in Pakistan..

it's a shame a guy having average of 26 in 26 tests is selected ahead of him:facepalm: only in Pakistan..

Yes. But that is not even pretending to be a merit based selection.

It's better to just laugh about it

Key thing is asking who can play the bouncing ball......

Its a must in SA.

will miss him badly...only Umar Akmal or Azhar Ali can face these saffer fast bowlers in these conditions others would be having a shocker but I hope they prove everyone wrong..let's see..:misbah

Simon Doull and others on commentary are talking about McCullum. They say that its best if you let him be aggressive because you know that's where his strength lies. If you try to curb that there's no point in him turning up. His game is to attack therefore he should attack. Sensibly of course though. They said you have to accept that sometimes he will get out on a rash shot because of the nature of how he plays. It just has to be accepted. He says that AB Devilliers is the same. AB got out playing a rash shot but nothing was made of it because he bats with Kallis & others who have been batting well. McCullum's silly dismissals stands out as he is the best batsman in the team and all the pressure is on him.

Its the same thing with Umar Akmal. Umar Akmal's game is to attack. He has been successful in attacking therefore he should remain that way. Why would you want to change it? If we try to curb his natural game it would ruin him overall as a player.

Simon Doull and others on commentary are talking about McCullum. They say that its best if you let him be aggressive because you know that's where his strength lies. If you try to curb that there's no point in him turning up. His game is to attack therefore he should attack. Sensibly of course though. They said you have to accept that sometimes he will get out on a rash shot because of the nature of how he plays. It just has to be accepted. He says that AB Devilliers is the same. AB got out playing a rash shot but nothing was made of it because he bats with Kallis & others who have been batting well. McCullum's silly dismissals stands out as he is the best batsman in the team and all the pressure is on him.

Its the same thing with Umar Akmal. Umar Akmal's game is to attack. He has been successful in attacking therefore he should remain that way. Why would you want to change it? If we try to curb his natural game it would ruin him overall as a player.

Commentators do chat nonsense as well as sense.

Fact is you should always focus on your strengths because that's what has made u what u are.

But at the same time you need to minimise your weaknesses to.

It's a fine balance between the two.

For Akmal they are trying to fix the weakness by killing the strength.

Bad management.

Akmal will be back eventually, you can't keep him out for long. Misbah and younis will soon depart (in next 18 months) then pakistan will have to take umar back anyway. Till then play ODI and improve your strengths.

Akmal will be back eventually, you can't keep him out for long. Misbah and younis will soon depart (in next 18 months) then pakistan will have to take umar back anyway. Till then play ODI and improve your strengths.

I know he will. ... but it doesn't make the way he is being treated right. .

Every one of our players should be focusing on improving.

Last edited:
Where are all the haters?

Did I read correctly?

76 in a total of 177?

In a game that contains the pak players?

He must have hacked his way there. ... he must have brain farted his way there!

Where are all the haters?

Did I read correctly?

76 in a total of 177?

In a game that contains the pak players?

He must have hacked his way there. ... he must have brain farted his way there!

Haven't seen them much today really. Its only fair that they turn up when he does well. They turn up when he fails and so do we. When he succeeds they don't.

Done better than ALL of our TEST top 6 in a low scorer.

^ He needs to do more. More than Fawad Alam whose test average and domestic average is higher than him.

Domestic suiting him well.Should spend more time there. Hope he come back with a better defensive technique.

An opener needs to be able to see off the new ball. Our openers are more interested in looking nice in shotmaking.

None of the Akmals should ever be allowed near the team again. There are many more talented cricketers who have been unfairly treated. The Akmals are poor performers, living on so called talent and
bad team players.

None of the Akmals should ever be allowed near the team again. There are many more talented cricketers who have been unfairly treated. The Akmals are poor performers, living on so called talent and
bad team players.

?

Seems a little harsh?

I think U. akmal might have been harshly treated with, but that's probably for his own good.

I think if you are dropped , instead of shattering your confidence, it should serve as a motivation to earn your place back in the side.

If it shatters, your confidence, you're mentally weak. If you're mentally weak, that's why you commit brain farts in the first place.

But at least K. Akmal should be discarded with. He's a no hoper past his prime.

I think U. akmal might have been harshly treated with, but that's probably for his own good.

I think if you are dropped , instead of shattering your confidence, it should serve as a motivation to earn your place back in the side.

If it shatters, your confidence, you're mentally weak. If you're mentally weak, that's why you commit brain farts in the first place.

But at least K. Akmal should be discarded with. He's a no hoper past his prime.

Wow. U think he was harshly treated.

I have not one seen Akmals confidence shattered.

He various on playing for Pakistan despite the shoddy treatment. ..

Never selfishly.

^ He needs to do more. More than Fawad Alam whose test average and domestic average is higher than him.

There is not much difference between averages Fawad averages 55 but he has only played 3 tests out of his 90 odd games..Umar averages 48 but he has played in 16 tests out of his 60 first class games in difficult conditions....If we remove test stats then Umar averages 53(including games against Australia A,Kent,Tasmania)..and Umar has played mostly at number 3 and then at number 4.....

But both deserved more than Faisal Iqbal...

Can't believe the hate....

Didn't he just finish up as highest run scorer in the domestic final. ..

That contained our entire batting line up?

I saw the whole 76 runs innings almost , he looked a batsman apart. No problem in his defence, no poking outside off and he got out tö a good inswinger by umar gul. He was playing at off side really well and play great sweep shots against rahman with good control. In the match where almost all our best batsmen played, he was comfortably the best.

Pakistan Batsmen's Averages in England vs England:

Player Matches Innings Runs Average

Umar Akmal 4 8 184 79* 30.66

Mohammad Yousuf 4 0 99 56 24.75

Azhar Ali 4 8 152 92* 21.71

Salman Butt 4 8 128 48 16.00

Imran Farhat 4 8 118 33 14.75

Shoaib Malik 2 4 53 38 13.25

Yasir Hameed 2 4 41 36 10.25

Umar Amin 2 4 40 23 10.00

Kamran Akmal 3 6 24 13 4.00

Zulqarnain Haider 1 2 88 88 44.00

Even England Batsmen struggled in this series..These English batsmen averaged even less than Umar....

EJG Morgan 4 6 0 175 130 29.16

AJ Strauss 4 7 1 155 53* 25.83

AN Cook 4 7 0 167 110 23.85

KP Pietersen 4 6 0 140 80 23.33

PD Collingwood 4 6 0 119 82 19.83

The biggest argument from Umar haters that Umar failed in England....every sane person can see that even world class English batsmen failed in that series......They say Azhar Ali win us the match at the Oval so he was the best batsman there,and they do not remember that in the same match Umar made 38 in the first innings before getting himself run out and in second innings he remained unbeaten on 16 with Aamir to guide Pakistan home.. Though i am not arguing that Umar was better than Azhar...:p..But he was better than the most others...

Now have a look at Westindies tour stats:

Misbah-ul-Haq 2 4 1 181 102* 60.33

Umar Akmal 2 4 0 166 56 41.50

Taufeeq Umar 2 4 0 165 135 41.25

Azhar Ali 2 4 0 154 67 38.50

Asad Shafiq 2 4 0 48 42 12.00

Mohammad Hafeez 2 4 0 46 32 11.50

Ok,you dropped him once to realize him the importance of his wicket in test cricket..But his ouster from test squad after England series without getting a game is total injustice..He was told that he should get some big scores in domestic cricket,we do not want pretty 20s and 30s from you....Now these are his performances in domestic cricket since being dropped...

97,20,165,44,7,93,40,48,21,18,16,57*,107,16,76.......Average 59

And recently when all of Pakistan's test batsmen were playing in the final,he aggregated the most in the final match and helped his team win the final..

This teach Umar a lesson thing should end now....You do not treat your youngsters that way....

Last edited:
I saw the whole 76 runs innings almost , he looked a batsman apart. No problem in his defence, no poking outside off and he got out tö a good inswinger by umar gul. He was playing at off side really well and play great sweep shots against rahman with good control. In the match where almost all our best batsmen played, he was comfortably the best.

U r on Akmals side today. ;-)

Pakistan Batsmen's Averages in England vs England:

Umar Akmal 4 8 184 79* 30.66

Mohammad Yousuf 4 0 99 56 24.75

Azhar Ali 4 8 152 92* 21.71

Salman Butt 4 8 128 48 16.00

Imran Farhat 4 8 118 33 14.75

Shoaib Malik 2 4 53 38 13.25

Yasir Hameed 2 4 41 36 10.25

Umar Amin 2 4 40 23 10.00

Kamran Akmal 3 6 24 13 4.00

Zulqarnain Haider 1 2 88 88 44.00

Even England Batsmen struggled in this series..These English batsmen averaged even less than Umar....

EJG Morgan 4 6 0 175 130 29.16

AJ Strauss 4 7 1 155 53* 25.83

AN Cook 4 7 0 167 110 23.85

KP Pietersen 4 6 0 140 80 23.33

PD Collingwood 4 6 0 119 82 19.83

The biggest argument from Umar haters that Umar failed in England....every sane person can see that even world class English batsmen failed in that series......They say Azhar Ali win us the match at the Oval so he was the best batsman there,and they do not remember that in the same match Umar made 38 in the first innings before getting himself run out and in second innings he remained unbeaten on 16 with Aamir to guide Pakistan home.. Though i am not arguing that Umar was better than Azhar...:p..But he was better than the most others...

Now have a look at Westindies tour stats:

Misbah-ul-Haq 2 4 1 181 102* 60.33

Umar Akmal 2 4 0 166 56 41.50

Taufeeq Umar 2 4 0 165 135 41.25

Azhar Ali 2 4 0 154 67 38.50

Asad Shafiq 2 4 0 48 42 12.00

Mohammad Hafeez 2 4 0 46 32 11.50

Ok,you dropped him once to realize him the importance of his wicket in test cricket..But his ouster from test squad after England series without getting a game is total injustice..He was told that he should get some big scores in domestic cricket,we do not want pretty 20s and 30s from you....Now these are his performances in domestic cricket since being dropped...

97,20,165,44,7,93,40,48,21,18,16,57*,107,16,76.......Average 59

And recently when all of Pakistan's test batsmen were playing in the final,he aggregated the most in the final match and helped his team win the final..

This teach Umar a lesson thing should end now....You do not treat your youngsters that way....

I forgot to mention current president Trophy stats ,so here are stats for our test batsmen in President Trophy.

Taufeeq Umar 9 17 377 22.17

Mohammad Hafeez 6 11 486 44.18

Younis Khan 7 13 495 41.25

Azhar Ali 9 17 484 30.25

Asad Shafiq 6 10 238 26.44

Misbah-ul-Haq 7 12 430 35.83

Umar Akmal 4 8 292 41.7

So many reasons why Umar should be in test squad at least now...

U r on Akmals side today. ;-)

Just telling the truth :D , I hope he continues to play like this. Not a single brain fart in the innings ,even azhar looked more hyped than umar on the pitch. I wish he cuts down the shuffing against quick bowlers to allow his offside game to develop more. His backfoot drive through covers against gul a ball before he fell was the crown of his innings.

Just telling the truth :D , I hope he continues to play like this. Not a single brain fart in the innings ,even azhar looked more hyped than umar on the pitch. I wish he cuts down the shuffing against quick bowlers to allow his offside game to develop more. His backfoot drive through covers against gul a ball before he fell was the crown of his innings.

Is there any videos of the innings bro? I missed it unfortunately. First time I've missed a knock by Umar Akmal since probably 2-3 years :(

Umar Akmal played well. And so did Asad Shafiq. Geo Super was telecasting the match live.
Umar used his feet to get to the pitch of the ball on on a number of occasions and also launched a few big 'uns. Looked pretty comfortable out there.

It's a known fact ODI and T20 Cricket improved Amla's strokeplay. I don't see why Test Cricket can't improve Umar Akmal's temperament.

I forgot to mention current president Trophy stats ,so here are stats for our test batsmen in President Trophy.

Taufeeq Umar 9 17 377 22.17

Mohammad Hafeez 6 11 486 44.18

Younis Khan 7 13 495 41.25

Azhar Ali 9 17 484 30.25

Asad Shafiq 6 10 238 26.44

Misbah-ul-Haq 7 12 430 35.83

Umar Akmal 4 8 292 41.7

So many reasons why Umar should be in test squad at least now...
but not over Hafeez, eh?

Should be part of the squad though not in the team.

Umar Akmal played well. And so did Asad Shafiq. Geo Super was telecasting the match live.
Umar used his feet to get to the pitch of the ball on on a number of occasions and also launched a few big 'uns. Looked pretty comfortable out there.

It's a known fact ODI and T20 Cricket improved Amla's strokeplay. I don't see why Test Cricket can't improve Umar Akmal's temperament.

Great point!

I'm sorry but comparing someone like Amla to Umar is just not right. One is on his way to becoming a great while the other still has not established himself in the Pakistan team. Umar Akmal should focus on becoming a good ODI player right now, so that he doesn't get dropped when the important matches come by.

Test cricket seems very far away right now, atleast until Misbah or Younis retire.

[/B]

I'm sorry but comparing someone like Amla to Umar is just not right. One is on his way to becoming a great while the other still has not established himself in the Pakistan team. Umar Akmal should focus on becoming a good ODI player right now, so that he doesn't get dropped when the important matches come by.

Test cricket seems very far away right now, atleast until Misbah or Younis retire.

You have not understood the context of the post.

He hasn't compared Umar to Amla.

Please read it again with a clear mind.

You have not understood the context of the post.

He hasn't compared Umar to Amla.

Please read it again with a clear mind.

Never said that he did.

Someone like Amla can be succesful over different formats because he was always a class player, was dedicated and serious about his cricket and just had to do some technical adjustments.

Umar cannot do the same with his temperament because he is too immature and is living on past glories.

Never said that he did.

Someone like Amla can be succesful over different formats because he was always a class player, was dedicated and serious about his cricket and just had to do some technical adjustments.

Umar cannot do the same with his temperament because he is too immature and is living on past glories.

lol you clearly know very little. I'll respond to you when you've matured :rana

Back