Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

Since when did Afridi have an average of 40 in LOI's? Best batsman in ODI's and 2nd best in T20's after his brother.

His performances will shut the haters up this tournament. Or not, since they're just haters

Lol - law of averages does not tell the story of how a batsmen gifts his wicket. He is compared to Afridi because his mode of batting is very similar and is prone to brain farts every other minute. :yk

Kohli in his first 10 matches was fantastic, so to say he would of been dropped if he played for Pakistan is :))

Lol - law of averages does not tell the story of how a batsmen gifts his wicket. He is compared to Afridi because his mode of batting is very similar and is prone to brain farts every other minute. :yk

Similar? He has a beautiful technique

leave umar akmal alone he is not as bad as people make out.......... its not easy batting here and there one position then the next usually when your teams in deeps trouble. if kohli is so good why is he boasting a great average of around 40 lool

A paddle shot goes wrong and people think they should bump a thread made long ago.

If Kohli played for Pakistan, he'd have been dropped in ten matches

A paddle shot? Its not the first time he has gotten himself out like this...

What's the difference between Afridi and U.Akmal? Afridi bowls and Akmal doesn't, both are crap with the bat.

Man, He is awful. When is he going to score?

Great cameo with the bat and been brilliant in the field throughout the whole game..that Taylor's run out won us the game so again proves to be a match winner :14:

Umar. Akmal showing again what he can do against top bowling

Why is he not in the test side?

Top class bowling today. Best attack in the tournament and Umar Akmal stands up and delivers. He shows that he is our best LOI batsman.

A reason why he was so successful today was he batted a lot of overs and he had his eye in.

Very good innings, give him plenty of overs and don't expect him to slog from day 1 and he will do well

Today's lesson for the haters:

Never write off a match winning batsman. Ever.

Every time there is a tough situation more often than not he stands up.

His progress intests is being held back.

Shot selection wasbrilliant today.

I remember AB was same player as umar akmal in his early part of his career, who had bags of talent,but had a OK record like junior , then he suddenly took his batting to whole new level from 2009.

I wish that same thing can happen to UK.

Top knock from Jr. under pressure against a quality opponent and will boost his confidence immensely! Just goes to show that if he can be given the responsibility to play out max overs in ODIs & T20s, he will deliver the goods! Coach & Captain are you listening ???

This inning should silence the critics of which there are countless here on PP who simply do not give Umar credit and in fact degrade him by labeling him as a 'slogger'. He disproved this allegation against him quite emphatically today! Junior delivered when it mattered! :14:

Top knock from Jr. under pressure against a quality opponent and will boost his confidence immensely! Just goes to show that if he can be given the responsibility to play out max overs in ODIs & T20s, he will deliver the goods! Coach & Captain are you listening ???

This inning should silence the critics of which there are countless here on PP who simply do not give Umar credit and in fact degrade him by labeling him as a 'slogger'. He disproved this allegation against him quite emphatically today! Junior delivered when it mattered! :14:

Very well said.

Long may it continue

Finally , he is starting to take some responsibility . I am so happy to see him doing well Mashallah . :D

Which country tries to give their best batsmen as few overs as possible?

Can one of the selectors please read this thread?

Can one of the mods point it out to the selectors?

ive been critical of him in ODIs for often throwing away his wicket etc but in this T20WC he showed good attitude and made runs, as others pointed out in t20 he should come at 3 or 4 and jamshed should open with kami i guess.

Am I right in saying that not once did we see him play those awful paddles or scoops? I can't remember seeing him play a shot like that. Seems like he is finally maturing! The future is bright! People forget how old he is!

Who thinks we need :umarakmal back in the test side?

Taufeeq
Azhar
Younis
Misbah
Akmal
Fawad

With Shafiq and Jamshed waiting in the wings.

That Test Line up looks good. Solidified!

I think it has a good balance.

Fawad and Akmal used to bat well together till someone thought their own rotI would be taken.

No 5 should always be a slightly aggressive player and 3/4 should always be the best batsmen in the team.

6 the new boy trying to make his make.

Openers a left right combination that take the shine off the ball.

I think Umar Akmal really came of age in this tournament and batted with responsibility and purpose. It was a shame that he wasn't utilized up the order.

Hopefully, he shows this maturity in the other formats also.

umar finally getting some praise. umar,jamshed,azhar and asad future of pakistan cricket.

umar finally getting some praise. umar,jamshed,azhar and asad future of pakistan cricket.

Its about time.... :)

Needs to be in the Test team ASAP

Taufeeq
Azhar
Younis
Misbah
Akmal
Fawad

Last edited:
Interestingly Taufeeq,Azhar,Hafeez and Misbah played in the same last first class match in a same team along with Umar....
Umar got 40 and 48 which is highest match aggregate from them,,,,But people complain that he did not got 100 as if all others scored 100's and only Umar failed.....but they do not see that other so called test permanents even did not get those 40's......

He is MUCH MUCH better then Asad shafiq just look at there ODI averages and STRIKE RATES
In tests he has a long way to go, had a good start but needs to fight now for a place
he needs to be in the TEST team as well !

Umar Akmal vs South Africa will be a great prospect! His technique and temperament will be tested for all to see and someone to challenge South Africa with counter attack..

Comming from under the dark clouds of controversies , Pakistan have done good as a team in the last 2 and a half years especially in 2011.. But SA tour will tell them where they actually stand in world cricket. all that hardwork will be tested in south africa and we'll come to know how good or bad our team is..

Umar Akmal should wait for the big boys to retire.. the current middle order has no room for him at all.

Not yet.

Patience. He should be patient.

Let him show what he can do in LOI consistently first.

Sometimes you can tell from the way a player bats how talented he is. Nasir Jamshed can do brilliantly for Pakistan in test cricket and is our perfect opener.

Azhar ali , younis khan , misbah and asad shafiq are our respective 3 , 4 5 and 6. Where are you going to fit him? All are averaging good this year , we need to wait for one of them to flop or one of them to retire.

:taufeeq
:azhar
:yk
:misbah
:umarakmal
:fawad

dont see what the problem is...

Sometimes you can tell from the way a player bats how talented he is. Nasir Jamshed can do brilliantly for Pakistan in test cricket and is our perfect opener.

Plenty talent in Pakistan but there are various phases a person has to go through before being selected and at the mo he hasnt done enough in my book.

I suspect he will open for Pak soon though.

:taufeeq
:azhar
:yk
:misbah
:umarakmal
:fawad

dont see what the problem is...

LoL , nowhere.

But you can't axe the performing players.

Why should Asad be axed after performing well? Umar akmal needs to score some tons in domestic to get it. I agree with you on hafeez but he recently scored 196 which makes his case stronger. We need to wait for the failures or retirements.

LoL , nowhere.

Why should Asad be axed after performing well? Umar akmal needs to score some tons in domestic to get it. I agree with you on hafeez but he recently scored 196 which makes his case stronger. We need to wait for the failures or retirements.

its not about axeing...

Its about WHO has done the most to be in the best 6 batsmen.

LoL , nowhere.

Hafeez...

Please dont make me laugh.

LoL , nowhere.

Compare Shafiq and Fawads highest Test score
Compare Shafiq and Fawads FC averages
Compare Shafiq and Fawads A'team record

Tell me who wins?

its not about axeing...

Its about WHO has done the most to be in the best 6 batsmen.

So do you think Asad has not done enough? He is averaging above 40 this year and has the temperament to play long innings. No one in the middle order deserves to be axed.

Compare Shafiq and Fawads highest Test score
Compare Shafiq and Fawads FC averages
Compare Shafiq and Fawads A'team record

Tell me who wins?

Fawad is even better than younis and misbah in domestic cricket. But you do not axe a performing international because someone is doing well in domestic cricket.

Fawad is even better than younis and misbah in domestic cricket. But you do not axe a performing international because someone is doing well in domestic cricket.

You dont look at just one thing....

You look at twenty....

And :yk and :misbah beat him in 19 of the twenty things...

exactly.

Even I'm not really convinced about Asad. Isn't great in LOI really at the moment, doesn't home down the runs in domestic (42 is good, but it's not as good as others). But he's doing well so far and improving, so deserves to be persisted with.

Before the Sri Lanka and England series, definitely was a case to drop him, but he's come good. He's got very good test technique, which is a big thing going for him.

Taufeeq and Hafeez have worse records than him too, so it might be logical to drop them before Asad. The thing that saves them is that their openers (so you'd feel an opener would have to replace one of them), and of course Hafeez's bowling which is still pretty useful in tests (and he's not really doing bad with the bat of late). There's much more middle order talent pushing, Fawad Alam, Harris Sohail, Usman, Umar akmal, then opening. Opening prospects there's less talent out there. Jamshed probably leading at the moment, but might be better to stick with LOI and concerns with his fitness (though would play him if Taufeeq fails next series). Shehzad not really cemented his place in LOI, though a pretty good first class. Afaq is supposedly good, but haven't seen much of him. Plus Hafeez and Taufeeq are the only young seniors if you can put it that way who could guide the youngsters after Younis and Misbah is gone.

But yeah Asad should stay.

exactly.

Even I'm not really convinced about Asad. Isn't great in LOI really at the moment, doesn't home down the runs in domestic (42 is good, but it's not as good as others). But he's doing well so far and improving, so deserves to be persisted with.

Before the Sri Lanka and England series, definitely was a case to drop him, but he's come good. He's got very good test technique, which is a big thing going for him.

Taufeeq and Hafeez have worse records than him too, so it might be logical to drop them before Asad. The thing that saves them is that their openers (so you'd feel an opener would have to replace one of them), and of course Hafeez's bowling which is still pretty useful in tests (and he's not really doing bad with the bat of late). There's much more middle order talent pushing, Fawad Alam, Harris Sohail, Usman, Umar akmal, then opening. Opening prospects there's less talent out there. Jamshed probably leading at the moment, but might be better to stick with LOI and concerns with his fitness (though would play him if Taufeeq fails next series). Shehzad not really cemented his place in LOI, though a pretty good first class. Afaq is supposedly good, but haven't seen much of him. Plus Hafeez and Taufeeq are the only young seniors if you can put it that way who could guide the youngsters after Younis and Misbah is gone.

But yeah Asad should stay.

Bits and pieces players give u nothing in Tests....

:hafeez is a big No No for tests.

You should always select the Best 6. and Asad is not in the Top 6.

You dont look at just one thing....

You look at twenty....

And :yk and :misbah beat him in 19 of the twenty things...

So you would replace a performing player with someone who may do well ? Umar Akmal isn't exactly doing wonders in domestic either.

I didn't think Hafeez should have been drafted into the test team initially. His first class record especially didn't deserve it. But he averaged over 40.43 with the bat in 2011 and 25.93 with the ball. And 45.90 with the bat in 2012 and 24.50 with the ball. And I think if we talk about pretty recent form, he's averaging something like 50 in the past year or so.

Stats are good enough on batting alone recently in tests. And his useful bowling and good fielding makes him even better. I am not sure really we have openers in domestic who will come in the team and trump that performance. Jamshed perhaps but at the moment, he should arguably come in for Taufeeq who at the moment is bringing less with just the bat than Hafeez, ignoring Hafeez's bowling.

I didn't think Hafeez should have been drafted into the test team initially. His first class record especially didn't deserve it. But he averaged over 40.43 with the bat in 2011 and 25.93 with the ball. And 45.90 with the bat in 2012 and 24.50 with the ball. And I think if we talk about pretty recent form, he's averaging something like 50 in the past year or so.

Stats are good enough on batting alone recently in tests. And his useful bowling and good fielding makes him even better. I am not sure really we have openers in domestic who will come in the team and trump that performance. Jamshed perhaps but at the moment, he should arguably come in for Taufeeq who at the moment is bringing less with just the bat than Hafeez, ignoring Hafeez's bowling.

Why look at the Hafeex superficial stats...

Please look at the opposition the runs were scored against.

:facepalm:

Taufeeq is better than Hafeez - by a distance.

So you would replace a performing player with someone who may do well ? Umar Akmal isn't exactly doing wonders in domestic either.

?

I would select the Top 6 batsmen that would get the most runs.

There are Twenty things I would look at.

And after looking at them.... Shafiq is not in the Top 6.

PS: When did Shafiq score a 168?

But now averaging close to 43 , I want to ask why would you replace him? Has he done anything to be axed, will any team in the worl would replace its performing , in form player?Scored two 50s and a 100 in his last 5 innings.

Last edited:
But now averaging close to 43 , I want to ask why would you replace him? Has he done anything to be axed, will any team in the worl would replace its performing , in form player?

When I select my team - I pick the Top 6.

If Player A scored 200 and got dropped. and Player B got 100 in the next game.

I would choose Player A over B.

?

I would select the Top 6 batsmen that would get the most runs.

There are Twenty things I would look at.

And after looking at them.... Shafiq is not in the Top 6.

In the end what matters is that your players perform at the international stage. What are the 20 things you look at?

In the end what matters is that your players perform at the international stage. What are the 20 things you look at?

1) Domestic record
2) A team record
3) Performances against good bowling
4) Highest international ascore
5) Average in internationals
6) Age
7) Experience
8) Team composition and individuals role
9) Propensity to improve
10) Technique
11) Suitability to format
12) Mental strength
13) Consistency of scoring
14) All round abilities - fielding/bowling
15) length of record - ie how long they have performed well for
16) Pitches runs have been scored on
17) Leadership qualities
18) Timing
19) Shoe size
20) Finally - my judgement.

At any given time each of the 20 criteria will be given different weighting - depending on what the overall team composition and status is.

This bits and pieces player averages more then our former cuptaan, and also bowls..:facepalm:

"Gives you nothing in tests" :)))

This bits and pieces player averages more then our former cuptaan, and also bowls..:facepalm:

"Gives you nothing in tests" :)))

Alas!you could not find any one better than the worst one...
No player should be judged or compared with that level of class or integrity...

In 2012, batting average of 45 and bowling average of 24.

What do you have to say now genius? :asif

Umar Akmal seems to have taken care of his nerves. In the last few innings he has tried to stay till the end.

I think it is time, we through him in the team squad along with Fawad Alam

All players must be in the squad fighting for their place. If a player gets out to a brain fart, a cardinal sin in Tests, replace him with the next guy in the squad

umar akmal should be in the test squad, no one with a brain can argue otherwise , as for being in the team, i personally feel he should but he will have to wait for a shafiq fail . Its tough because he was basically dropped because of one freak dismissal against Zimbabwae even though he completely outperformed Shafiq in the west indies. Shafiq has played almost all of his tests in asia while umar has played one or two i think. If he was given the same chances he would have been ahead of shafiq. Also looking to the future it better to have umar, for the time being he has to wait though

Seriously still cannot believe Umar is not in the test squad. He should be batting at 6 in every single test Pakistan play. He deserves this through his ODI performances and his test performances prior to when he was dropped foolishly.

Back