Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

super innings under pressure, the lad showed what he's capable of and it's bizzare to see he gets so much stick on PP :facepalm:

if he gets a long run at 4, he will start to deliver more match winning performances!

Akmal is imo the best ODI batsman we have and has been for some time. What I like about him is that he's not the kind that will stick around if the match is lost - ie., he'll go for the win, not for playing the game out.

People use to sometimes criticize Moyo for being slow. The truth is that Moyo would always go for it when it came down to it; he'd either hit out or get out. he wasn't one of those who would play out the match for a loss. You would have never seen Moyo doing what YK or Misbah did in the semi-final last WC, and you won't catch Akmal doing that kind of thing either.

Last edited:
great innings lekin ziada hero banne ke shauq maiN out ho gaya :wahab

Good knock by the youngster. It is not only about the batting talent. But you also need talent to use your talent properly and today he did it:)

He is the only batsman we have that has the possibility to be a star batsman like Inzi or Miandad.

Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, & company are good batsmen, but they don't have the talent to be the anchor of a batting lineup. They are all Robin.

Umar Akmal has the ability to be Batman, whether or not he translates that talent into reality remains to be seen. Need another 3-5 years to determine that. Remember that batsmen really mature in their mid 20s, he is still quite young. So he has to be persisted with.

Really good to see Umar play the way he did today. Talent hasn't been the issue with him, application has. Still not yet a complete batsman but he's only 21 and hopefully today can give him some confidence in his ability to play this way because at the end of the day, he needs to be groomed as a no 3/4 not a 5/6.

Akmal is imo the best ODI batsman we have and has been for some time. What I like about him is that he's not the kind that will stick around if the match is lost - ie., he'll go for the win, not for playing the game out.

People use to sometimes criticize Moyo for being slow. The truth is that Moyo would always go for it when it came down to it; he'd either hit out or get out. he wasn't one of those who would play out the match for a loss. You would have never seen Moyo doing what YK or Misbah did in the semi-final last WC, and you won't catch Akmal doing that kind of thing either.

I think most people have missed the fact that he is ranked no 12 in the world!

Didnt you create a thread asking Umar to be sent to the domestic?

Yup, but probably whatmore is better than domestic. Most of these 50s are against lower ranked opposition. He failed against england and didn't give any value to his wicket.
I hope this is the start of some sensibility from him.

NOTE: I have the firm supporter of umar akmal from day 1. Sometimes you are pissed at how the talent is being wasted.

Last edited:
Yup, but probably whatmore is better than domestic. Most of these 50s are against lower ranked opposition. He failed against england and didn't give any value to his wicket.
I hope this is the start of some sensibility from him.

NOTE: I have the firm supporter of umar akmal from day 1. Sometimes you are pissed at how the talent is being wasted.

Have faith. Have faith.

Umar Akmal is a special talent.... :)

Should at least have been in the squad, getting a game or not is another thing. People like malik ,faisal and farhat are disgrace selections considering we have usman salahuddin as well.

Should at least have been in the squad, getting a game or not is another thing. People like malik ,faisal and farhat are disgrace selections considering we have usman salahuddin as well.

This must be one the worst decisions....

Easily the top batsman in Pak ODI side. Currently the only Pak batsman that i would care to watch after Younis Khan.

Selecting Faisal Iqbal, a 30 year old international failure over a 21 year old success is a disgrace.

It's not a big deal if he is not in the test squad.

He's not even in the starting XI or will be.

Hardly a loss.

It's not a big deal if he is not in the test squad.

He's not even in the starting XI or will be.

Hardly a loss.

So just dent his confidence further by not selecting him in the test squad even though he won't play in the starting XI? Instead add a 30+ year old international failure in Faisal Iqbal.. good thinking.

& Umar Akmal should be in the test squad ahead of Shafiq. Umar is miles better. Shafiq scored his ton against a minnow in Bangladesh, Umar against NZ(Bond & Vettori) away from home.

Last edited:
Time to bring back Umar Akmal for TESTS too

We are wasting crucial development time!!!

why fix something that aint broken?

Umar is only 22, time is on his side

To make it better...

Anyone thinking our batting line up isn't broken needs to think again...

It's entirely one dimensional...

Umar needs to be in the test team ahead of Shafiq, its as simple as that. Shafiq will never win you a test in my view. He's a very limited batsmen and its clear for the whole world to see who the better batsmen is. The most talented batsmen and the one who could get the most out of their careers. Its easy to see that will be Umar Akmal. Umar Akmal is also younger.

Shafiq is a very limited batsmen. He's way to defensive and is in his shell too often. I remember one horrible knock he played where Pak were going to declare and quick runs were needed. He played at a snail rate with an SR of 29. He finished like 29 off 100. Around there. Very poor, didn't seem to be playing for the team that time.

I would give Shafiq this series though to prove him self. He needs a ton. He needs a century and then he can stay in the test side. He should average over 40 this series to stay in the team. Umar Akmal should be batting at NO.6 in our side, when YK and Misbah retire he should move up to 4. He will then be the NO.1 batsmen in the world across all formats. Trust me he will ;)

Umar needs to be in the test team ahead of Shafiq, its as simple as that. Shafiq will never win you a test in my view. He's a very limited batsmen and its clear for the whole world to see who the better batsmen is. The most talented batsmen and the one who could get the most out of their careers. Its easy to see that will be Umar Akmal. Umar Akmal is also younger.

Shafiq is a very limited batsmen. He's way to defensive and is in his shell too often. I remember one horrible knock he played where Pak were going to declare and quick runs were needed. He played at a snail rate with an SR of 29. He finished like 29 off 100. Around there. Very poor, didn't seem to be playing for the team that time.

I would give Shafiq this series though to prove him self. He needs a ton. He needs a century and then he can stay in the test side. He should average over 40 this series to stay in the team. Umar Akmal should be batting at NO.6 in our side, when YK and Misbah retire he should move up to 4. He will then be the NO.1 batsmen in the world across all formats. Trust me he will ;)

I personally see a lot of good in Shafiq... He has a future but his potential isn't as high as Akmal.

You also need to get a balance of stodgy vs more attacking players.

Too many 2 runs an over players in the team.

B] Shafiq will never win you a test in my view.[/B]

Whitewash 3-0 England. Ring any bells?

2nd Test
Asad Shafiq: 58 and 43. Matchwinning partnership with Misbah in 1st Innings AND another one with Azhar Ali in second innings. Highest scorer in the 1st innings of 3rd test. Might as well have been Man of the Series if it werent for our brilliant spinners.

aBS6j.png

yJCJ8.png

pAd5S.png

That's harsh on Shafiq.
He has a better average than U.Akmal in lesser tests
Played a very important role in the tests against England
Is improving in every game he plays.
I know you are a big fan of Umar Akmal but that does not mean you try to devalue Shafiq who has done a better job than Akmal in TESTS

That's harsh on Shafiq.
He has a better average than U.Akmal in lesser tests
Played a very important role in the tests against England
Is improving in every game he plays.
I know you are a big fan of Umar Akmal but that does not mean you try to devalue Shafiq who has done a better job than Akmal in TESTS

Don't just look at the stats. Shafiq's only test ton has come against Bangladesh on a very flat track. Shafiq has played most of his tests on flat tracks and batsmen friendly wickets. Umar on the other hand has played his test innings in England, New Zealand, Australia & West Indies. Very tough places to bat especially England. If Shafiq played through those same tests Shafiq's average would be a whole lot less then what it is and if Umar played the same opposition Shafiq plays and on the same wickets, his average would be a lot higher than Shafiq's 37.

Don't just look at the stats. Shafiq's only test ton has come against Bangladesh on a very flat track. Shafiq has played most of his tests on flat tracks and batsmen friendly wickets. Umar on the other hand has played his test innings in England, New Zealand, Australia & West Indies. Very tough places to bat especially England. If Shafiq played through those same tests Shafiq's average would be a whole lot less then what it is and if Umar played the same opposition Shafiq plays and on the same wickets, his average would be a lot higher than Shafiq's 37.

Akmal started brilliantly... Against real class bowlers like Shane Bond..,

Then he led the batting line whilst the oldies fought each other..,

Then he played a couple of silly shots when the oldies came back and all of a sudden the world starts attacking him from all angles...

No comparison with Shafiq if you look at it objectively!!!

Why's it so ridiculous? Please explain :)

You do not drop a player who has performed admirably in the last 3 test series Pakistan have won & won convincingly for swashbuckling temperamentally deficient batsmen who scored 2 half centuries in his last 22 test innings. Are you supporting Pakistan or the opposition?

Shafiq rightly has the spot for the time being after a gud series against eng few months back He cant be dropped just cos akmals scores a few odi runs

U akmal just needs to bide his time and learn his game if/when shafiq slips up But till then the no 6 should be shafiqs

Shafiq rightly has the spot for the time being after a gud series against eng few months back He cant be dropped just cos akmals scores a few odi runs

U akmal just needs to bide his time and learn his game if/when shafiq slips up But till then the no 6 should be shafiqs

What we say can't influence what will happen...

We just say what we would do.

Given the players available in Pakistan right now...

The test team should be:

Taufeeq
Azhar
Younis
Misbah
Akmal
Fawad
Sarfaraz
Riaz/Rehman/Hafeez/
Gul
Zia/Riaz/tanvir/junaid/ etc
Ajmal

Did well today, after misery in T20s.

Will have to see how his performances pan out in the rest of the series. Good luck to him - but I think we are in for some rude awakening (again) in the next few days.

Did well today, after misery in T20s.

Will have to see how his performances pan out in the rest of the series. Good luck to him - but I think we are in for some rude awakening (again) in the next few days.

Oh no... You are not a believer...

anyone who has followed Pakistan's cricket in last two years or so knows Umar AKmal was unfairly dropped from test side to start with ... remember his match winning knock against WI in his second last test ? he was just dropped from test because of those very unluckiest dismissal you ever get to see against Zimbabwe !! how unfair

anyone who has followed Pakistan's cricket in last two years or so knows Umar AKmal was unfairly dropped from test side to start with ... remember his match winning knock against WI in his second last test ? he was just dropped from test because of those very unluckiest dismissal you ever get to see against Zimbabwe !! how unfair

I think some people feel BIG by belittling people that are cocky.

Similar thing is happening to Shahzad though he actually deserves it to some extent.

believe it or not , umar needs to score 2 ,3 hundreds quickly in ODIs to get selected in tests. That's the only way he has to play tests or wait for misbah to exit.

I would request the Mods to merge all the threads which are appearing almost daily on Umar Akmal. It's getting a bit annoying to be honest. Thanks in advance.

The only dynamite is in his head and is time-sensitive to the number of balls faced.

Well maybe Misbah needs to be a bit more time-sensitive to the number of balls he faced.

Too many threads are being created on the youngster beauty so time to bump the original thread (in my view :) )

If he is in form and can keep his head cool I am sure Pakistan will do very well in this tournament.

Good luck young boy!

someone needs to tell him don't play for the team rather play for yourself...stay at the crease as much as possible even if team requires quick runs,just take singles and doubles,don't hit big even it's last over of the inning, and be not out at the end of the inning.I'm sure this will satisfy those critics who don't know the actual match situation in which he comes in to bat and gets out playing those so called brainfarts.

someone needs to tell him don't play for the team rather play for yourself...stay at the crease as much as possible even if team requires quick runs,just take singles and doubles,don't hit big even it's last over of the inning, and be not out at the end of the inning.I'm sure this will satisfy those critics who don't know the actual match situation in which he comes in to bat and gets out playing those so called brainfarts.

lol what? So Kohli, Amla, Sangakkara are selfish ? Is this is the reason why they are successful ?
Nice logic!

lol what? So Kohli, Amla, Sangakkara are selfish ? Is this is the reason why they are successful ?
Nice logic!

do they bat at 6?I'd love to see how do they bat coming in between 35/40-50th overs.

:facepalm::facepalm: PLzz analyse The Selfishness Of Baba Tuk Tuk and what harm has he caused to the team recently, before you proceed for such a type of comment..

Although a warmup he should take heed from Kohli and his great technique and quality even in a worthless game like this.

A paddle shot goes wrong and people think they should bump a thread made long ago.

If Kohli played for Pakistan, he'd have been dropped in ten matches

A paddle shot goes wrong and people think they should bump a thread made long ago.

If Kohli played for Pakistan, he'd have been dropped in ten matches

Kohli comparison:facepalm: The only comparison valid for UA is with :afridi and that too in batting:yk

Kohli comparison:facepalm: The only comparison valid for UA is with :afridi and that too in batting:yk

Since when did Afridi have an average of 40 in LOI's? Best batsman in ODI's and 2nd best in T20's after his brother.

His performances will shut the haters up this tournament. Or not, since they're just haters

Back