Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

Don't see him moving up any time soon. The great YK is returning and that will solve all out woes.

Don't see him moving up any time soon. The great YK is returning and that will solve all out woes.

Knowing Pakistan cricket that is probably true.

Its amazing how the senior mindset is destroying our cricket.

Anyone with an iota of cricketing knowldege knows Umar Akmal is your best bat

Agreed asifp. It is a shame the amount of injustice done to our youngsters at the hand of the 'seniors'

Lahore Dynamite - Umar Akmal: Mega Discussion Thread

Best thing about this guy is that he never plays for his average. Prone to brainfarts as much as any Pak batsman but not at all selfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's played a fantastic and possibly a match winning knock.

Great batting today (just watched the score - how did he play).

I have maintained that Umar Akmal is a hack.

Let him do it in tough pitches for batting (consistently) and I will happily change my opinion.

For now, he is doing a stupendous job.

Let him do it in tough pitches for batting (consistently) and I will happily change my opinion.

Far from a hack.

Even Sunny Gavaskar rates him! He must be something special and I believe he is!

Umar Akmal extremely unselfish. Was willing to take the single and not go for the ton but Ajmal sent him back. Respect!

Far from a hack.

Even Sunny Gavaskar rates him! He must be something special and I believe he is!

Bhogle used to compare him and Kohli several years back.

He started off great.

Then lost his technique and turned into a bad batsman.

That's what I used to see whenever I watched him.

Great for a few shots and would then get out.

Hopefully this innings would change him.

Thats how you treat minnows. Sher laga hai Umar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who scores hundred on tough pitches in ODI's?
Surely none of the current Indian batting line up...

excellent.
"he cant play his game, because he comes in very late"
i assume we can consign this excuse to the dustbin.

excellent.

It does make a difference when you only have the tail beside you or you and the person beside you are the only two batsmen left.

excellent.

Today he had ample time as the top order left early.
He should bat at 4 so he can always come between the 20th and 25th over.

One important thing he has to do is to work on his batting in the "batting" power play.

One important thing he has to do is to work on his batting in the "batting" power play.

yes...but he was coming fairly regularly between the 20/25th over in the last few matches.
anyhow, i hope it continues.

What you have posted is a travesty.

Came in with 22 Overs left, couldn't do anything apart from throw his wicket away.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/657645.html

Came in with 34 Overs left, couldn't do anything apart from throw his wicket away.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/685735.html

Came in with 22 Overs left, couldn't do anything apart from throw his wicket away.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/685731.html

Came in with 34 Overs left, couldn't do anything apart from throw his wicket away.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/649099.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/649093.html

All these are recent, and even today he did his best to follow the same but was dropped.

It was a good innings but that is it, a 100 with a chance on a dead wicket against an associate nation does not amount to much and does little to clear the mistakes of your past when you have committed the same mistake.

Though i do hope that he has learnt his lesson and shows improvement from now onwards.

Who scores hundred on tough pitches in ODI's?
Surely none of the current Indian batting line up...

Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara.

In case you can't really read, I am going to bold some parts, even if it already only two lines.

You got the indian thing well.
Then I said ODI's, so don't know how on earth Puara is mentioned.

Now, I will let you list me Kohli hundreds made on tough pitches.

In advance, good luck because that is going to be a real struggle for you.

All these are recent, and even today he did his best to follow the same but was dropped.

It was a good innings but that is it, a 100 with a chance on a dead wicket against an associate nation does not amount to much and does little to clear the mistakes of your past when you have committed the same mistake.

Though i do hope that he has learnt his lesson and shows improvement from now onwards.

He was dropped and? Sehwag was dropped about every innings he scored.

The associate team you are talking about has a better bowling line up that India in LOI's.

Umar Akmal - the first player in history to get a Man of the Match award and an arrest warrant on the same day? ‪#‎PakvAfg‬ ‪#‎AsiaCup‬ ‪#‎FK‬

What you have posted is a travesty.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/657645.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/685735.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/685731.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/649099.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/649093.html

Well Sachin in that epic match against Pak in the WC was dropped 4 times. Misbah was dropped yesterday. It happens to the best.

Also for the matches you posted, some of them it was when he was as usual the last man standing, the situation was dire, and even then he was still usually one of the better ones in terms of score.

I agree Umar throws his wicket away like an idiot, but putting him at 6 also limits his ability to play comfortably. I mean if you are person who builds innings, like he did today, he was taking singles and doubles to score most of those runs. He is the best rotator of the strike in Pakistan which is needed up the order, not down the order.

Right now he is in form and should be given a shot to not come in when we crumble, but he and Misbah should go 3-4 and take the responsibility to get big scores on the board and not have wickets out. I love him playing with Misbah like they did the other day. Misbah can ease his way in, because regardless he will play every match, and regardless he will play the same way. If you have him with Umar, one aggressor, one who gives the strike to the aggressor, then they can both get those large scores and maybe Misbah can finally hit 3 figures as well. The plan as is, as we can see, is not working. A smart coach/captain has to be bold in their approach. Hafeez scored 3 centuries in SL but always falls in big matches. Shehzad is fine at the top but really needs to play faster, this was a pretty selfish innings today by him (I'm a fan but man that was slow). Maqsood is just out of form and should be sent down the order. Sharjeel should be dropped but I have no idea who else can open. Maybe open Afridi just to get quick runs at the top? We all know he will come and get out anyways, might as well not be when it is severely needed and he can just play like a blind fool (although I would drop him altogether for a real bowler)

In case you can't really read, I am going to bold some parts, even if it already only two lines.

You got the indian thing well.
Then I said ODI's, so don't know how on earth Puara is mentioned.

Now, I will let you list me Kohli hundreds made on tough pitches.

In advance, good luck because that is going to be a real struggle for you.

Kohli has an ODI Hundred everywhere apart from SA where he averages 45.

He has one in England,Australia,New Zealand and the West Indies.

rwFbPN2.jpg

There are no other pitches left in the world where Kohli hasn't scored runs so your argument is completely invalid.

If there is a country where the pitches were tough and Kohli struggled do tell me because from what i see Kohli has scored runs everywhere.

Last edited:
Well Sachin in that epic match against Pak in the WC was dropped 4 times. Misbah was dropped yesterday. It happens to the best.

How exactly could Misbah be dropped without facing a delivery?

Also for the matches you posted, some of them it was when he was as usual the last man standing, the situation was dire, and even then he was still usually one of the better ones in terms of score.

He had a proper Batsman batting at the other end in all the matches, and let me point out these are just a few examples there are many more.

I agree Umar throws his wicket away like an idiot, but putting him at 6 also limits his ability to play comfortably. I mean if you are person who builds innings, like he did today, he was taking singles and doubles to score most of those runs. He is the best rotator of the strike in Pakistan which is needed up the order, not down the order.

Umar Akmal has a poor defensive technique and hence i don't see him as a long term option in ODI cricket, he may survive in the conditions in Bangladesh but with his defense i don't see him doing much at the Top. Fawad Alam should be played in the Top 3 as he has a good defense and can survive the new ball on most occasions.

Umar could bat at Number 4 replacing Maqsood, but i don't think he has done nearly enough with the bat over some time to do that.

Right now he is in form and should be given a shot to not come in when we crumble, but he and Misbah should go 3-4 and take the responsibility to get big scores on the board and not have wickets out. I love him playing with Misbah like they did the other day. Misbah can ease his way in, because regardless he will play every match, and regardless he will play the same way. If you have him with Umar, one aggressor, one who gives the strike to the aggressor, then they can both get those large scores and maybe Misbah can finally hit 3 figures as well. The plan as is, as we can see, is not working. A smart coach/captain has to be bold in their approach. Hafeez scored 3 centuries in SL but always falls in big matches. Shehzad is fine at the top but really needs to play faster, this was a pretty selfish innings today by him (I'm a fan but man that was slow). Maqsood is just out of form and should be sent down the order. Sharjeel should be dropped but I have no idea who else can open. Maybe open Afridi just to get quick runs at the top? We all know he will come and get out anyways, might as well not be when it is severely needed and he can just play like a blind fool (although I would drop him altogether for a real bowler)

Well you can play him at Number 4 but with his temperament and technique i don't see him as a long term solution, unless he improves both.

He was dropped and? Sehwag was dropped about every innings he scored

He was dropped while trying to throw his wicket away, and your post makes no sense Sehwag was not dropped every innings he scored i have no idea based on what you posted this i can remember at least 10 Centuries where he was not dropped.

The associate team you are talking about has a better bowling line up that India in LOI's.

Based on what?

Your word?

They are a associate team and their bowling is well below par and despite your delusions the reality is that they are in no way better than India's.

Umar Akmal showing why he's the BEST batsman in Pakistan right now. What a beauty! So happy for him today - has been my favourite player for quite some time now. :)

Lol at people thinking there's still tough 100s in ODI's :))

All ODI wickets are flat these days..

This innings was against afghanistan which is a minnow.. so lets stop throwing praises like theres no tomorrow. Let him do something against a better opposition.

Kohli has an ODI Hundred everywhere apart from SA where he averages 45.

He has one in England,Australia,New Zealand and the West Indies.

rwFbPN2.jpg

There are no other pitches left in the world where Kohli hasn't scored runs so your argument is completely invalid.

If there is a country where the pitches were tough and Kohli struggled do tell me because from what i see Kohli has scored runs everywhere.

Why loose so much time and post such stats and analyse these stats when the only thing is to show me some scorecards (and not a lot of them, 1 or 2 will do) when Kohli scored a hundred on a tough pitch.

Maybe he has never done him, it's why?

Why loose so much time and post such stats and analyse these stats when the only thing is to show me some scorecards (and not a lot of them, 1 or 2 will do) when Kohli scored a hundred on a tough pitch.

Maybe he has never done him, it's why?

There are 2 things, Kohli scoring a Hundred on a tough pitch, or Kohli scoring a hundered on a tough ODI Pitch.

Some recent ODI knocks:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/667641.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/tri-nation-west-indies-2013/engine/match/597926.html

Some recent Test knocks:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/648665.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/667653.html

There is no need to awnser for the sake of awnsering.

Someone said lets Umar score an ODI hunded on atough pitch, and I replied not many do it and not of the current indian. So either you show me a ODI centruy on a tough pitch either no need to awnser.

There is no need to awnser for the sake of awnsering.

Someone said lets Umar score an ODI hunded on atough pitch, and I replied not many do it and not of the current indian. So either you show me a ODI centruy on a tough pitch either no need to awnser.

Are you blind?

Some knocks by Kohli alone

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/474481.html

If you'd want i would be more than pleased to post the statistics of Umar in England and New Zealand.

Last edited:
Are you blind?

Some knocks by Kohli alone

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/474481.html

If you'd want i would be more than pleased to post the statistics of Umar in England and New Zealand.

No I'm not blind and I did watch both the innings you posted here.
Both pitches can't be called tough.

Unfortunately you don't seem to know anything about cricket, calling both these pitches difficult for batting.

These are very good innings by Virat Kohli, and I am not comparing him to Akmal, but just stating the fact that not a lot of batmen score ODI hundreds on difficult tracks, and even the master of hundreds nowadays, Virat Kohli is yet to register one.

Wait? Is it time to revive the kohli vs. Akmal thread again?

No..we are just saying that he's probably still the best youngster in Pak currently and he needs a boost up the order..No need for jokes -_-

Thanks, just in time to suppress my fit of laughter.
Back to serious topics, he will get a promotion soon if he keeps performing this way.
You have to earn the promotion. You don't get it on the basis of your bestest this or that.

Thanks, just in time to suppress my fit of laughter.
Back to serious topics, he will get a promotion soon if he keeps performing this way.
You have to earn the promotion. You don't get it on the basis of your bestest this or that.
Just explained in the other thread why he deserves it :hamster:

Just explained in the other thread why he deserves it :hamster:

Meh, I need to see a few more to be convinced but (a) I don't make the decisions (b) sohaib maqsood looking awful, junior might get that promotion sooner than he deserves.

Meh, I need to see a few more to be convinced but (a) I don't make the decisions (b) sohaib maqsood looking awful, junior might get that promotion sooner than he deserves.
Sohaib is out of form...He was failing in Domestic cricket despite bullying every single attack before the SL series.

Very mature innings today. Didn't get carried away when Malinga and co were getting in Yorker after Yorker. Put the bad ball away and didn't try to invent something different. I think we're seeing a more matured Umar under this new management and he will prosper.

Very good innings wasn't easy with Malinga and Lakmal firing yorkers in and the pressure of a Final

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Time for me to eat humble pie. Umar did very well today. I hope he will keep this up.

a very very fine inning today .....and showed he is learning from his mistakes .....well played and front runner for MoS this tournament....
:)

It wasn't that simple lol. Thick edge and there was big deflection. Hard takes those

We will see Umar back into the test squad for next series.

He is a natural replacement for Younis Khan when he retires.

He really has played some of the most important innings and best innings for Pakistan in T20 internationals. I think no other batsman (bar KP maybe) has played so many world cup great innings :

51 (33) vs South Africa in gros Islet 2010
56* (35) vs Australia in Gros Islet 2010
43* (41) vs South Africa in Colombo, 2012
94 (54) vs Australia Yesterday.

All four knocks are in must win games against the sides we strugle the most.

Form is temporary but Class is permanent..

...and great think tank turned their best batsman into a wk bat and bats him at 6?and then people say don't have a go at Misbah..Umar's knock clearly showed he is by far the best Pakistan batsman right now and can solely play on his batting in this team.

I think even his most unreasonable haters cannot say that Umar isn't outrageously talented.

However, his inability to play proper, constructed innings in Tests and ODIs is frustrating and I am on that boat.

He has a long career ahead of him and will return to Test cricket eventually. Those who want him in the top 4 in ODIs will get their wish as well one day, but for now, he is in his comfort zone in ODIs at number 6.

He is at his best when there are 10-15 overs left. Just 2 ODIs ago, he was promoted against India and was rabbit in headlights.

6 is too low, 5 is perfect. Against India he has also failed playing at 6 many times so if he also failed at 5 then it is not a big thing to drive conclusions from.

He still needs to improve his off stump game which is very important in longer formats and the most important in test cricket. And that is not going to happen batting at death overs.

A gem of a batsmen to watch when in full flow. He needs to take his time to settle in, once he's in he can take the game away from any team. Hopefully see more match winning innings from him in the future.

Umar Akmal get married recently, how well he approach cricket from here on?

This guy will be an unfulfilled talent he's underperformed a lot yet still maintains a 35+ ODI batting average at a good strike rate. He should be averaging in the mid 40s with the ability he has. But he has a very poor temperament which will.stop him from being a world class batsman

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

He's a genuine modern day cricketer in the mould of guys like Duminy and Raina. Should be the first name on the sheet in LOIs and about time he is introduced back into Test cricket for further development.

The real issue isn't him but with his fan club who initially compared him to a young Tendulkar and then later Kohli.

Very good, dynamic player.

Back