Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

Funny how people like you praise Misbah when he scores runs against the likes of WI & Zimbabwe but when Umar does it, it suddenly becomes worthless. :))

The telling fact is, both Misbah & Umar are having a bad series so far and that reflects in our batting failures. Shehzad is the only one that has performed but our 2 mainstays in batting haven't so we can see what is happening.

Funny how not a word is said about Misbah and Umar is domesticated for any mistake he makes.

Really this Umar akmal Bandwagon baffles me he is just another average batsman nothing more move on

Take the gloves off him. Let him bat at 4.

bullet bhai these are excuses, excuses and excuses.

There is no disagreement or debate that Umar Akmal does not have the talent. He is the most talented batsmen in the current pakistani batting line up. The problem with him are mentally and the ability to learn unfortunately.

Ill give a very small example. In the 2nd ODI, during the powerplay overs, he hit Morkel straight down the ground for a boundary. What does he do the next 2 balls? the very next ball, he tries to repeat the same shot, the 3rd ball he tries to hit it again and gets out.

At the end of the day, he needs to understand that he is playing international level cricket, not some club level bowler/team where he doesnt give any respect and tries to hit every other ball for a boundary juist because its powerplay!. The bowler bowling him may not be in top 10 or a legend, but he is an international too not a club level bowler.

You need to pay respect, you got one boundary off Morkel, you turn the strike over. This is a bowler whose name is put first on the team sheet if Steyn isnt playing.

Besides that in first innings the objective is to bat up to the 50th over, he wasnt chasing at 7 RPO.

one more thing and not just for Umar Akmal, if anyone has been coached by a proper coach and played decent level cricket.

A Coach will never get worked up if a batsmen gets out between 0 - 10 runs, because he understands that he hasnt settled in. But if a batsmen gets out after getting 20, he would blast your head off, because you have settled in, read the conditions, feet are moving and you have thrown your wicket away

Look at the pakistani batsmen getting the starts and not getting 50s

People complaining about horrible situations being the reason for a player's failure should watch how Ashwin approached his inning in today's match.

It's the performance in horrible situations that makes a great player. A ship is the safest at the shore, but that's not what ships are built for.

The thread title screams "excuses" and "more excuses" to me. It's like he cannot do any wrong.

See the thing is, you're making too many assumptions. Umar has a hard enough time staying on the team, I doubt he cares about his batting spot ESPECIALLY when he bats 3 in domestic.

Yes because in domestic, if he comes in at 3 , he has to face Styen , Morkel, Anderson , or Finn for that matter.

It's one thing to bat in domestic at 3 facing club level bowlers.

It's another to bat at 3 facing top class swing bowlers.

Plus, You already saw what he did in the Power Play to Morkel ? Hit one 4 , went for the same shot 2nd ball, and 3rd ball same shot again.

What makes you so sure, he won't bat like a crazed lunatic top up.

We don't need crazed lunatics. We need responsible people.

The thread title screams "excuses" and "more excuses" to me. It's like he cannot do any wrong.

Exactly . It's just an excuse thread to try to convince us all that akmals been hard dine by and that it's not his fault that he keeps giving his wicket away. It simple , akmal is a rank tailender.

Exactly . It's just an excuse thread to try to convince us all that akmals been hard dine by and that it's not his fault that he keeps giving his wicket away. It simple , akmal is a rank tailender.

Well said.
has any other tailender in world cricket got this much support despite failing badly everytime?

Yes because in domestic, if he comes in at 3 , he has to face Styen , Morkel, Anderson , or Finn for that matter.

Plus, You already saw what he did in the Power Play to Morkel ? Hit one 4 , went for the same shot 2nd ball, and 3rd ball same shot again.

Bro there's no point arguing with akmal supporters as your wasting your breath. They don't see the reality or the facts. Domestic cricket is of such a low standard and if you follow you you will realise how bad it is. Akmal also failed in domestic cricket, he had a stung of poor scores unit recently .

He's regressing and now us a bona fide tailender in the ilk of shahid Afridi. There's no difference between them. Totally reckless and oblivious to the match situation. Such players are no use to the team cause . The sooner we get rid of these tailenders the better . They have no value for their wicket, team or country.

why do i get a feeling that umar akmal plays for the 'crowd' and not the team.

Re: Why does Umar Akmal come to bat in horrible situation 90% of the time

Why does Umar AKmal comes and Bat horribly at 90% of the time??

^^

Where is Mr Khan Ji nowadays.

Don't see him around.

He was a good poster, a little eccentric, but good.

Ahmed77 and khan ji really kept things entertaining. :D

Anyway this is excuses,excuses,excuses and more excuses. After 120 games if he cant handle a situation like that then where is the improvement. ( clarify things for fanboys i am not saying drop him). What kind of situation does he need to make an impact? You are an international cricketer of a batting line up thats known for its volatility. You should step up to the plate especially when you are considered the best talent in the country and the future batting great.

That's the thing, you don't know. I would though give the guy with the second highest average every chance to prove himself at a proper spot and not be the bloody keeper which he isn't.

What has Jamshed, Shafiq (especially him, he's literally garbage), Amin, Half Feez done?

Like I said. Everyone but Shehzad has been **** poor it's series, but otherwise Akmal has been pretty good this year and overall. A couple bad matches and people jump all over him. Not saying you but people praise Misbah vs Windies and forget Akmal was as good if not better just three matches ago. Then he gets dropped for Zim for supposed health reasons which to me is bs. The mishandling of UA is ridiculous. Put him up the order a few matches. If he fails, then I will agree with you. Until then he is a very good player who is completely mismanaged.

Anyway this is excuses,excuses,excuses and more excuses. After 120 games if he cant handle a situation like that then where is the improvement. ( clarify things for fanboys i am not saying drop him). What kind of situation does he need to make an impact? You are an international cricketer of a batting line up thats known for its volatility. You should step up to the plate especially when you are considered the best talent in the country and the future batting great.

ahmed is still around , just now he is statistics 375

its hard to keep posting when you advocate nuclear genocide

but he seems to have gone missing again , hope he is back, need some laughter in life

Exactly. This is Pakistan we are talking about where 90% of the time we will be in trouble chasing even a modest target. Which is why the likes of Inzy and others made thier name chasing even more improbable targets while being under the same disorganised management. Hell Umar couldn't even finish the 160 odd score agains India when we last played there where the likes of Kohli playes a blinder every second innings. I have given up on him.

lol well to be fair as bad as he was yesterday i dont think he actually gave his wicket away trying to please the crowd

lol well to be fair as bad as he was yesterday i dont think he actually gave his wicket away trying to please the crowd

Ok i might give him the benefit of the doubt in the last match,but what about the 1st odi?? And the numerous other times he has thrown it away,trying to play extravagent strokes?

He plays too many pre-determined shots. That's what happened in the first match. In the last match, he again was pre-determined and hence reached too far to a full toss. He should play the ball on length, which he seldom does. When the shots come off, they look impressive, but the failure rate is high too. Even someone like AB, who is very good with these pre-determined shots, takes his time till he is settled before playing them, and when the situation requires (like in last match) he is ready to play out maidens even in power plays

One major difference between Kohli and Umar is that Kohli plays shots of length. He very seldom improvises. He has all the time in the world and then hits the ball flawlessly. He plays the best shot for the ball. For example, a pitch up ball on the off can be cover driven, or slogged across or hit over long on. Kohli will always go with the cover drive. That's why his success rate is high. Most of Akmal's shot, on the other hand, are pre-determined. He will think of the shot first and then play the ball, often across the line. Shots look glamorous, especially the big sixes, but the failure rate is too high. I remember the huge six he hit in the first ODI. It was a length ball on off, perfect for cover drive. He chose the more risky option

There is a reason why for most of the best batsmen in the world, it's said, they have ample time for their shots. That's because they always play the ball on it's merit. They have time to judge the line and length and then decide the shots. Number of pre-determined shots they play are very less.

Last edited:
I think Umar Akmal should bat at 9 or 10 , this can help him play against weaker bowlers during the batting powerplay during the 35-40 th over ....

That's the only position other than no 6 I see him in....

ahmed is still around , just now he is statistics 375

its hard to keep posting when you advocate nuclear genocide

but he seems to have gone missing again , hope he is back, need some laughter in life

Wait. What?

Lol.

Who advocated nuclear genocide ? :26:

Wait. What?

Lol.

Who advocated nuclear genocide ? :26:

The one who advocated for Umar Amin to be made captain before he could become a player.

But lets don't get personal here. That's enough.

Not every poster makes sense all the time here. :)

It's a temperament issue. Rohit came at number 6 when India was 80-90 for 5 and in deep trouble. He played sensibly without trying to slog to get runs when things were looking tough. He used to lack temperament earlier as well and I think only recently he has shown responsibility for his team.

Akmal lacks the temperament right now. Unless he sorts out his temperament issue, it's not possible to win games for team consistently. I think he should simply try to do the best job he can at number 6 by batting long without thinking anything else. He may not get to the level of Dhoni or even Raina when it comes to finishing the games but improving at number 6 will make his case stronger for batting higher.

Last edited:
Guess we should stick to him like India stuck to Rohit Sharma, and eventually come good.

Goes to show that he would not be able to handle pressure if the situation were to arise.

Fast fading. No amount of talent can compensate for weak temperament

Guess we should stick to him like India stuck to Rohit Sharma, and eventually come good.

Nakal ke liye bhi Akkal chahiye hoti hai. ;) :p

Murgi ke andey se Haathi toh nikalne se raha.

Last edited:
Nakal ke liye bhi Akkal chahiye hoti hai. ;) :p

Murgi ke andey se Haathi toh nikalne se raha.

Indeed. For one, Rohit in his worst days was never moving outside leg stump and attempt to mow/paddle sweep a fast bowler to mid wicket.

Re: Why does Umar Akmal come to bat in horrible situations 90% of the time?

Indeed. For one, Rohit in his worst days was never moving outside leg stump and attempt to mow/paddle sweep a fast bowler to mid wicket.

Holy smokes a guy named Pete Rose understands Hindi.

Re: Why does Umar Akmal come to bat in horrible situations 90% of the time?

Just six or so months ago everybody was getting happy that he had finally announced himself and had started to bring games home for us in pressure situations.

Then he went and had a seizure of some sort.

Umar Akmal: An Objective View

Now for everyone who has been following him (yes there have been countless threads on him, many are one sided, the other are completely opposite sided), I think we need a thread looking at his stats and his opportunities. Let us break him down from the start of his career to this point taking into account everything and move from there (I will focus on ODI).

Yes, objective is not objective in this world, there is obviously subjectivity here, but I am trying to analyse as much based on stats as possible.

Umar Akmal is a right handed batsmen for Pakistan aged 23. He has an average of 37.61, which currently sits second on the Pakistani team. He has played a total of 79 matches (70 innings) with 1 century and 17 fifties. SR of 86.

Now everyone recalls how Akmal burst onto the scene with a fifty and century in his first few matches against Sri Lanka, calling him a saviour and the future of this team. Now at the time I was a sceptic. It was too good to be true of course that Pakistan had found a batsmen who other teams would fear, a potential Yousuf or Inzi, potentially even better.

Let us break it down from statsguru looking strictly at average and number of matches:

Season 2009- 64.00 (4 matches)
Season 2009/10- 34.00 (11 matches)
Season 2010- 28.25 (8 matches)
Season 2010/11- 35.81 (14 matches)
Season 2011- 55.66 (8 matches)
Season 2011/12- 38.92 (17 matches)
Season 2012- 36.50 (8 matches)
Season 2012/13- 25.00 (1 match)
Season 2013-58.33 (5 matches)
Season 2013/14- 14.33 (3 matches)

Now of course before you jump on me for my next point, yes every match counts, but clearly the last three are the EXCEPTION not the rule. The most amount of matches he has played in a season was in 2011/2012 where he averaged 38.92. This is most likely the best indicator of UA as this is when he has consistently played. I am by no means saying the last series vs WI is an indication that UA is going to be a 50 average player, and in using that same argument UA is by no means anywhere near the 14.33 he has averaged in the whopping THREE MATCHES he has recently played. This are the aberrations in his career.

Here is an interesting stat, of all the things, UA has played the most matches where we have lost the toss and fielded first, IE we were chasing and his average is the highest here with 40 matches averaging 42.52. In the matches where we have chased, his average in 39 matches is 40.88. Goes to show he is actually better at chasing than he is at batting first. Not a good quality to have necessarily, but that also makes sense considering when we bat first he may not necessarily come to build an innings but moreso come to be a finisher and getting out slogging, which is really not his position.

Now here is another good stat, when Pakistan is chasing, and we have won the match, in 19 matches he has a whopping average of 89.80.

In the WC Umar averages 48, in the Champions Trophy 49, the real big tournaments of the world.

The big teams in the world in One day are India, England Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka. The teams he has played the most are Australia and Sri Lanka where he averages 40.71 and 51.27. He has a poor record versus India in his 5 matches of 20.60, England of 25.55 and South Africa (4 matches total, 3 of which of course are this series where he has been poor) with an average of 25.75, the one high score being 60 before this series started. He has shown against a couple good teams he can score, and he has shown against other teams he hasn't, but again sample size is too small to judge. 5 matches v India, 4 v SA is a small size. Yes he has struggled against England and there is no covering that, but at the age of 23 he should be given the time to improve his efforts based on what he has done, not on what he has done poorly.

He has a total of 6 MOM, the only people with more is Afridi with 31 in 365 matches, Mohammad Hafeez with 10 in 132 matches and Misbah tied with 6 in 131 matches. You would say, if he doubles it to 12 by the amount of matches Misbah or Hafeez plays it's not a big deal, but the issue everyone is missing is age and curved growth. With age, players become better, and if given the opportunity, thrive.

Umar Akmals natural batting position is at #3. Everyone says "but wait then he has to face bowlers like Steyn with the new ball!", which is definitely true, but Pakistan produces some pretty good pacers as well whom he does face on a daily basis, and he has only played a total of 1 matches at three scoring 28 so it is inconclusive what he would do in his natural spot. He has only played 3 matches at #4 averaging 18 (which really isn't good but hardly a sample size). This team needs a change. Shafiq is utterly useless, Amins potential is not showing whatsoever, Half Feez makes a start and as usual throws his wicket away, and Misbah coming in blocking balls, increasing the SR and increasing pressure is not helping. What is the worst that could happen? All I have seen in the past few matches is failure up top minus Shehzad, then Akmal comes in knowing he IS the final bat and he MUST win the match. Why does he have to win the match in a desperate situation? Why can he not simply come in 1 or 2 down knowing batsmen are below him and he can ease his way in?

"But he averages 40.64 at #6", which is very true, he does, but with our batting order above him completely failing, we need to change the strategy. Instead of bringing him down the order to smash, he needs to be able to construct an innings, especially when clearly no one above him is capable of doing.

When you drop a player after a good series in WI as we all know for phantom health conditions, he is continuously going to doubt his spot on the team, and play against that which is his natural game, and play tentatively knowing this may be his last match. Ahmed Shehzad is a perfect examples, he knew after his two fifties that he is on the team for a while, and started playing his game last match. He threw his wicket away foolishly early, but at 21 I can cut him some slack as well. His averaged had jumped from 24 to 28 and he is starting to come good. We cannot keep dropping players who have shown signs, and keep players like Hafeez, Shafiq, and Amin who have never shown anything on the batting front in LOI.

Now the first match against SA was something that was ridiculous and Pakistan should have won, and his rashness is definitely a part of it. He should not have gone out for 20 and eased to the win, but hey everyone played poorly that match in batting, so to point at him is too harsh. The only real batsmen who win matches are Misbah and UA on this team historically.

He could fail, he could not amount to anything, I do not put this out of the equation, but as of right now we have a 23 year old averaging near 40 who we need to put in the right situation to succeed to help this team succeed. If this is me being a Akmal blind supporter, so be it. All I know is that his average is better than everyone not named Misbah with a SR that shows he can be a lethal player.

What everyone will probable attack me for his defending Umar Akmal. NO. Far from it, he has not done well this series at all. What I am saying is he has done a lot in his career to show that if persisted with, he could be a very good player, but this will come with bumps and bruises along the way that people will have to be patient with. One cannot praise him for last series against the Windies after 5 matches, then have a knee jerk reaction after 3 matches against SA that he should be kicked off the team.

ok so it took you 6 some paragraphs and alot of your time to tell us he needs to bat at 3? or are you one of the fanboys trying to save face. yes he did have a good beginning but in recent times he has been a liability. a good batsman can score at any position at any given time. dont make excuses for him, he needs to show he can use his talents anywhere in the lineup.

ok so it took you 6 some paragraphs and alot of your time to tell us he needs to bat at 3? or are you one of the fanboys trying to save face. yes he did have a good beginning but in recent times he has been a liability. a good batsman can score at any position at any given time. dont make excuses for him, he needs to show he can use his talents anywhere in the lineup.

So West Indies wasn't recent? Also, why does he have to show he can bat at any position? Misbah in 25 matches averages 33 at #6, did he prove he could bat there? Do people remember how Misbah came to be who he is now or do we have short term memory only? Why is it Shehzad and Jamshed are at the top of the order? Oh right, that is their position, but to move them would be foolish because, oh wait, that is there position... Swing and a miss.

Re: Umar Akmal: An Objective View

So West Indies wasn't recent? Also, why does he have to show he can bat at any position? Misbah in 25 matches averages 33 at #6, did he prove he could bat there? Do people remember how Misbah came to be who he is now or do we have short term memory only? Why is it Shehzad and Jamshed are at the top of the order? Oh right, that is their position, but to move them would be foolish because, oh wait, that is there position... Swing and a miss.

ummm. you know 1 down is,reserved for hafeez. so maybe stop fighting for that spot and work with, what you have. is it too much to ask umer to play sensibly even at 6. also, when your chasing you don't always have to hack. targets can be achieved with a little common sense to. I'm not taking, anything away from his, silks but when you fail to realize,game situations and bat annay-vaar then you deserve,criticism. the lack of ability to learn from your, mistakes is what gets,ppl here. its frustrating
Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

ummm. you know 1 down is,reserved for hafeez. so maybe stop fighting for that spot and work with, what you have. is it too much to ask umer to play sensibly even at 6. also, when your chasing you don't always have to hack. targets can be achieved with a little common sense to. I'm not taking, anything away from his, silks but when you fail to realize,game situations and bat annay-vaar then you deserve,criticism. the lack of ability to learn from your, mistakes is what gets,ppl here. its frustrating
Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2

This is the big problem. Why is someone with a 28 averaged reserved for the 3 spot over the guy with the 38 average. Until someone explains this to me, I will continue to banter. We continue to fight about Akmals mistakes, yet overlook this overrated useless player in Half Feez.

This is the big problem. Why is someone with a 28 averaged reserved for the 3 spot over the guy with the 38 average. Until someone explains this to me, I will continue to banter. We continue to fight about Akmals mistakes, yet overlook this overrated useless player in Half Feez.

to be honest, i dont really care much where umar bats. you say hes a natural 3, but we dont know. i understand the frustrations people might have with him playing rash strokes, but it doesn make any sense why he should face any criticisms of rash strokes ahead of jamshed, hafeez, or shafiq. even then, hafeez can perhaps be cut some slack because of his bowling, but the other two should come under criticism way before umar.

statistics have shown very clearly that in the current squad, misbah and umar are far more talented than any other batsman in the squad - so although it might make sense to vent some frustration at a shot, it makes no sense to call for his ousting from the team.

Why doesn't someone just ask him what he thinks? Where does he want to bat? Maybe next time PP do an interview with him we can get out the truth. I have a feeling he is happy batting lower down the order. Otherwise given his decent past performances I'm sure he would have been in a position at some point or another to say to the captain or the media, look I want to bat at #3.

Why doesn't someone just ask him what he thinks? Where does he want to bat? Maybe next time PP do an interview with him we can get out the truth. I have a feeling he is happy batting lower down the order. Otherwise given his decent past performances I'm sure he would have been in a position at some point or another to say to the captain or the media, look I want to bat at #3.

Actually he did do an interview with PP in which he stated that he wanted to bat up the order, at 3 or 4.

What you are saying is beyond logic, most young international batsmen have to prove themself at lower order before they are promoted up. Even Sachin was given this opportunity later in his career. I mean u can't give a batsmen special treatment just bcoz he poses well for cameras after playing a shot

Just six or so months ago everybody was getting happy that he had finally announced himself and had started to bring games home for us in pressure situations.

Then he went and had a seizure of some sort.

On the contrary, I feel he plays best when he is under no pressure.

Right now fans expect him to perform , so he is failing.

Most of Pakistani team for that matter crumbles like a pack of cards under pressure.

If Pakistan lose this series, expect him to make a robust 75 or 80 off 50 or 60 balls and watch crazed fans giving accolades.

Why does Umar Akmal come to bat in horrible situations 90% of the time?

Lets send him in before the openers and give him an extra 15-overs.

Umar Akmal: An Objective View

This is getting boring now. Let his bat do the talking.

See his batting has done the talking. Everyone else's hasn't. Second best bat can't pick where he wants to play and the horrid Amin goes one down with no, as you say, proving it with the bat. Something seams wrong to me.

If Asad, Amin, Maqsood can bat up the order why can't Umar Akmal?

I m not a U akmal fan but why can't Umar be given a chance to bat up the order? Why

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Re: If Asad, Amin, Debutant Maqsood can be given a chance to bat up the order than wh

Good point. It's apparent that the old fellow doesn't like him.

Its about role in the batting order. Umar Akmal's role is of a finisher.

Because everyone in Pakistan has falsely categorized him as an Afridi 2.0. Our think tank is stuck in the 90s.

Its about role in the batting order. Umar Akmal's role is of a finisher.

Has he finished any game in our favour? No. Means he is not suited for that role. Either kick him out or play him as a top order bat.

Grouping Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50
3rd position 2012-2012 1 1 0 28 28 28.00 24 116.66 0 0
4th position 2010-2012 3 3 0 54 21 18.00 67 80.59 0 0
5th position 2009-2013 25 25 2 875 91 38.04 1065 82.15 0 8
6th position 2009-2013 39 39 8 1260 102* 40.64 1442 87.37 1 9

He is best at 5/6

Has he finished any game in our favour? No. Means he is not suited for that role. Either kick him out or play him as a top order bat.

he has won matches for Pakistan as a finisher.

Team dynamics. You want Umar to bat up the order but if he fails who will be the hitter at the end? Asad Shafiq? lol.

It sucks for Umar but until we have someone who can bat fast and with responsibility (not Afiridi), he has to occupy that role as he is only one gutsy to go for his shots.

i am sorry but in all 3 matches he had ample time to bat.This argument is useless when it comes in pressure situation that he is not being given enough time.Look at him in first match ...Trying to slog every ball for just 19 runs to win with more than 60+ balls.Same was case during India tour.How come a guy who is just trying to slog to get his SR up can be an innings builder in a team whose most responsible batsman comes at #4

We have definetly not did Umar Akaml any favors. When he came on the scene he looked full of confidence which he completly lacks now. For starters i think we should look for a real keeper/batsman and let him focus on his batting and give him a permanent position in the order. If Maqsood wants No 3 give Umar Akmal No 4 and dont drop him for a while or change his position.

Because he averages 40+ when he comes on crease between 20th and 30th over.

So even tanvir can bat up the order but not Umar.

Team dynamics. You want Umar to bat up the order but if he fails who will be the hitter at the end? Asad Shafiq? lol.

It sucks for Umar but until we have someone who can bat fast and with responsibility (not Afiridi), he has to occupy that role as he is only one gutsy to go for his shots.

This is the reality.

After watching Maqsood bat, I hope the Pakistan think tank realises scorecards are built by stroke makers. There is no point keeping Umar Akmal at 6. Bring him in early and let him attack the opposition. This concept of defend first hasn't worked for Pakistan. One of the main reasons Pakistan has struggled against Imran Tahir is because they have been scared to use their feet. Maqsood showed if you play ur strokes with a positive intent you can offset the bowler, the more you defend the more he can attack you and its the same for any other bowler.

Drop Shafiq and play a proper finisher like Haris or Hammad.

Back