Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

This was not a horrible situation, what's the new excuse? Back to batting positions?

Re: Why does Umar Akmal come to bat in horrible situations 90% of the time?

Time to make him a waterboy. Will Maqsood scale new heights or go the level of Junior Akmal whose legacy is selflessly developing careers of other cricketers mostly Indians is something that will be interesting to see.

Why does Umar Akmal bat so horribly in 90% of the situations, 90% of the time ?

As for him being talented, well that's the biggest joke there is --- as a batsman, talent isn't just about being able to slog the bad ball away to the boundary , but there is a lot more it takes to be a batsman of top class. Look at the example of Virat Kohli.

Being able to handle good quality pace bowling - is that not a talent?

Being able to judge swing, bounce and seam - is that not a talent?

Being able to play every ball on merit, playing right stroke on the right ball - is that not a talent?

Being able to rotate the strike effortlessly and find gaps in the field to pick singles and twos, even off good balls -- is that not a talent?

Being able to construct an innings and pace your innings to get a big score, is that not a talent?

Being able to apply yourself, adjust your technique and stroke play according to the conditions if needed, is that not a talent?

How many of these skills and talents does Umar Akmal possess ?

These are just observations one can make by watching someone like Virat Kohil, that's what real talent is when it comes to batting.. real talent delivers results, its not just fake eye candy.

Just simply being able to play a few big shots, getting a quick 30 off 20 balls against not too special bowling, is that really what you call talent??

Umar Akmal for me is no different at this moment than an Imran Nazir -- they have the talent to put away the bad balls to the boundary, that's about it... but that alone will not make you a top class batsman, because for that you have to succeed and prove yourself by getting big scores and performing consistently against good bowling.

Last edited:
I hope I'm wrong but he's starting to remind me of Mohammed Ashraful. Bags of talent but no mental aptitude at all.

Today was another horrible situation I guess.

May be the guy should come in when the score is 250/1 in 30 0vers. Or is it another horrible situation because he is expected to match the batsmen who just departed?

Face it, the man is a mental midget.

I know I've said he should bat at 6 before but he just can't handle the pressure. He is a very talented player though so he should be batting at like number 4 or 5

Needs to work on strike rotation also learn to time the ball well not to slash it with full force :))

Like Ian Pont pointed out rightfully, its not the batting position it is the role which is assigned to a batsman. A good batsman will always perform in any position he plays in any condition.

You put Amla, kohli, ABD, Sanga, Mahela etc at any position and they will perform.

On a side note, you put Afridi at any position, he will bat the same way. Be it a opening slot. Atleast he is consistent. No three slot is more often than not earned not just handed away.

Needs to work on strike rotation also learn to time the ball well not to slash it with full force :))

wow what's left:
need to take singles
needs to learn to play shots.
i think he is in the wrong sport.

Watch this space !

It is matter of one 50 plus innings and all these threads are going be bumped for all the good reasons.

He has always been a mercurial character. Will be back with a bang soon, if not in next couple of matches then definitely against Srilanka :p

Watch this space !

It is matter of one 50 plus innings and all these threads are going be bumped for all the good reasons.

He has always been a mercurial character. Will be back with a bang soon, if not in next couple of matches then definitely against Srilanka :p

Its not just him: Afridi, Hafeez, Akmal praying to be still in the team when we play SL

Re: Lahore Dynamite - Umar Akmal: Mega Discussion Thread

On the contrary, I feel he plays best when he is under no pressure.

Right now fans expect him to perform , so he is failing.

Most of Pakistani team for that matter crumbles like a pack of cards under pressure.

If Pakistan lose this series, expect him to make a robust 75 or 80 off 50 or 60 balls and watch crazed fans giving accolades.

What do you mean on the contrary? On the contrary to the truth?

That he actually did string a few winning innings together last year and then went and had a seizure?

I don't understand.

bullet bhai these are excuses, excuses and excuses.

There is no disagreement or debate that Umar Akmal does not have the talent. He is the most talented batsmen in the current pakistani batting line up. The problem with him are mentally and the ability to learn unfortunately.

Ill give a very small example. In the 2nd ODI, during the powerplay overs, he hit Morkel straight down the ground for a boundary. What does he do the next 2 balls? the very next ball, he tries to repeat the same shot, the 3rd ball he tries to hit it again and gets out.

At the end of the day, he needs to understand that he is playing international level cricket, not some club level bowler/team where he doesnt give any respect and tries to hit every other ball for a boundary juist because its powerplay!. The bowler bowling him may not be in top 10 or a legend, but he is an international too not a club level bowler.

You need to pay respect, you got one boundary off Morkel, you turn the strike over. This is a bowler whose name is put first on the team sheet if Steyn isnt playing.

Besides that in first innings the objective is to bat up to the 50th over, he wasnt chasing at 7 RPO.

one more thing and not just for Umar Akmal, if anyone has been coached by a proper coach and played decent level cricket.

A Coach will never get worked up if a batsmen gets out between 0 - 10 runs, because he understands that he hasnt settled in. But if a batsmen gets out after getting 20, he would blast your head off, because you have settled in, read the conditions, feet are moving and you have thrown your wicket away

Look at the pakistani batsmen getting the starts and not getting 50s

In such an epic thread this is by far the best post of the lot.

Esp the run brackets argument.

60-70% or so of the times Umar has been dismissed between the scores 29-40. And that too at a strike rate usually off 90+ so he isn't stuck in a rut when he goes out.

That's unforgivable tbh.

He plays too many pre-determined shots. That's what happened in the first match. In the last match, he again was pre-determined and hence reached too far to a full toss. He should play the ball on length, which he seldom does. When the shots come off, they look impressive, but the failure rate is high too. Even someone like AB, who is very good with these pre-determined shots, takes his time till he is settled before playing them, and when the situation requires (like in last match) he is ready to play out maidens even in power plays

One major difference between Kohli and Umar is that Kohli plays shots of length. He very seldom improvises. He has all the time in the world and then hits the ball flawlessly. He plays the best shot for the ball. For example, a pitch up ball on the off can be cover driven, or slogged across or hit over long on. Kohli will always go with the cover drive. That's why his success rate is high. Most of Akmal's shot, on the other hand, are pre-determined. He will think of the shot first and then play the ball, often across the line. Shots look glamorous, especially the big sixes, but the failure rate is too high. I remember the huge six he hit in the first ODI. It was a length ball on off, perfect for cover drive. He chose the more risky option

There is a reason why for most of the best batsmen in the world, it's said, they have ample time for their shots. That's because they always play the ball on it's merit. They have time to judge the line and length and then decide the shots. Number of pre-determined shots they play are very less.

Truth. There is too much of it in this post.

That six of morkel was pure timing. No slog at all. Kohli is a very good LOI bat. But not much sense in comparing him to a guy that bats at six or seven.

I think we should conclude that perhaps our expectations were too high of him given his debut. Yes he has a lot of short comings compared to the likes of Kohli but its unfair to compare him to Kohli who is proving to be one in a generation player. Even plenty of Indian batsmen have a lot of catching up to do as far as Kohli is concerned. Kohli shouldnt even be bought into the discussion.

I find it really sad to see a lot of pak fans diss the likes of Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal and putting them down by comparing them to Rohit Sharma, Kohli and other Indian batsmen. This is not a fair comparison. Pakistan has historically been a less successful batting side compared to India where predominantly the emphasis has been on batting.

Look at Australia now, they are losing so much that even they are forced to make quick changes and no one is able to get a long rope in the team whereas logic dictates when you are rebuilding a team, you have to identify a pool of 15 players, atleast 6-7 batsmen whom you believe have the talent, ability to get the job for the country and stick with them for a consistent period. If you chop and change all the time then you will have what we have seen in this series, players playing for themselves at the expense of the team at low strike rates, players playing against their natural instincts.

Before expecting the players to change their fortunes, the fans have to take a long deep hard look at themselves. Too many fans here with a sense of entitlement, glory hunting where they only support their team, players in good times but cant bare to insult/diss them in bad times. Yes our batting has problems, lets constructively identify those problems instead of mocking our current players.

Based on what i have seen in this series, not just this series only. The team desperately needs a proper full fledged batting coach. I would strongly advocate for Inzamam ul Haq for this role as he is the best person to advice, teach our guys on how to play in the modern era and adjust their games in all the 3 formats of the game. Inzi was a master of taking singles and 2's while hitting the big shots if the opportunity presented itself. This is what is lacking in our batting right now. Too much defensive blocks and a complete inability to rotate the strike.

Came in at 17 overs, enough overs for him to score runs in.
Just got dropped at 18.
If he doesn't make this count then he's just an average over hyped player.

Came in at 17 overs, enough overs for him to score runs in.
Just got dropped at 18.
If he doesn't make this count then he's just an average over hyped player.

Doesnt have the technique or talent to play regular shots..hence all the cute little tabs to third man to a guy bowling in the 140's

is once again going to walk in a crap situation.

Why not try him at one down!

How is this a crap situation?
He's a 90 game old batsmen, has has to start winning games for us and proving he is that talented next big thing player.

You act like you want him to come in when theres 20 of 56 to win.

I bet he couldn't even do that (1st ODI)

Last edited:

Because there's no Tahir, Morkel or Steyn and dew is starting to take effect. The world is against Umar Akmal and its sad how haters don't acknowledge these facts.

Predetermined shot. Again.

Such a waste of space.

He's a 90 game old batsmen, has has to start winning games for us and proving he is that talented next big thing player.

You act like you want him to come in when theres 20 of 56 to win.

I bet he couldn't even do that (1st ODI)

Well said. The stage was set for him to prove himself, and he failed to do so once again, despite receiving 1.5 chances (the second one was a tough one). In the end he was plumb in front to a part time offspinner.

Lahore Dynamite - Umar Akmal: Mega Discussion Thread

Time to drop this flop. Give him a few seasons in domestic cricket.

Enough is enough.

There is no application , responsibility and respect to cricket.

This is an injustice with the money he is earning.

It was such an unnecessary attempted shot too.

You'd thought he'd have learnt from previous deliveries.

I guess his fans have disappeared. Pathetic.

Lahore Dynamite - Umar Akmal: Mega Discussion Thread

Lahore ballet batsman more like

It was such an unnecessary attempted shot too.

You'd thought he'd have learnt from previous deliveries.

I guess his fans have disappeared. Pathetic.

Actually used to be a fan.

But he has served disappointment after disappointment. These predetermined shots are just awful.

Another OD match another horrible situation. HOw can he ever play his game is he walks into this situation every game!

Why not move him up the order?

I can't understand why did he play that shot today? It looks like he got out intentionally. It was clearly a catching practice.

Can someone put video?

Another OD match another horrible situation. HOw can he ever play his game is he walks into this situation every game!

How is this a horrible situation? He has over 20 overs to bat and their batting first, not chasing their should be no pressure whatsoever.

:))) @ the fanboys making excuses everytime their boytoy fails is hilarious

How is this a horrible situation? He has over 20 overs to bat and their batting first, not chasing their should be no pressure whatsoever.

:))) @ the fanboys making excuses everytime their boytoy fails is hilarious

its horrible because his team is in trouble.

Its hard to play your game if you walk in when the team is in a hole

Quite true. Team is in trouble pretty much the only option you have is to score a duck. Leave trying to dig them out of the hole for better players.

Two polar opposite stories today...

one not able to score a single run,other missed out a century by one run :facepalm:

Sarcastic or what?

Team was by no means in any sort of trouble. 90/4 when he came into bat. 25 overs remaining in the match. Anyways, cometh the hour, cometh the man The stage was set for him to score a crucial 50

Sarcastic or what?

Team was by no means in any sort of trouble. 90/4 when he came into bat. 25 overs remaining in the match. Anyways, cometh the hour, cometh the man The stage was set for him to score a crucial 50

Its the very definition of the soft player: needing an easy situation to play cricket in.

he should play higher in the order and today, due to a good opening partnership, maqsood should've came in at 3 and Akmal at 4 because there was no early collapse

thank God Bhatti and Anwar didnt saw it as a horrible position at 133/7

Bro, Anwar/Bhatti walked into a worse situation but they fought it out.

So are you telling me that those two tailenders are better than Akmal in handling pressure?

Should be batting at #4 plain and simple. Misbah needs to get over his love affair with Hafeez already !! 1 failure doesn't negate Umar's achievements till now.

Should be batting at #4 plain and simple. Misbah needs to get over his love affair with Hafeez already !! 1 failure doesn't negate Umar's achievements till now.

but but but hafeez is a gun t20 player.

He is no doubt which is why I have no problem with him batting at 3 in T20s but in ODIs he should be coming in at 6 or 7.

why whats the difference between batting at in t20 vs odi?

why whats the difference between batting at in t20 vs odi?

You should ask Hafeez that because frankly even I find it strange that he turns into a beast in the shortest format whereas in ODIs against same bowlers he looks like a deer caught in headlights. :))

You should ask Hafeez that because frankly even I find it strange that he turns into a beast in the shortest format whereas in ODIs against same bowlers he looks like a deer caught in headlights. :))

Hmm....so we agree that its a bit of a theory: this changing position will lead to change in fortune?

yes as it will give umar akmal or maqsood a chance to bat one down. we need to back maqsood and akmal at no 3 and no 4 !

Hmm....so we agree that its a bit of a theory: this changing position will lead to change in fortune?

Well yes because I actually think Hafeez is the perfect 6/7 for the ODI team. His bowling is too valuable for him to be dropped completely. At that position if he contributes quick 30-40 his talent will have been maximized in the format. The reason for this is because Hafeez seems to be at his best when he's in attack mode and ODIs being a 50 overs game, he seems to be lost in terms of innings construction due to longer time period. So coming in at 6/7 will leave him with 10-15 overs to bat where he can basically play in T20 mode thereby contributing vital runs at a good clip in the lower order.

Last edited:
Wholeheartedly agree with the above. Hafeez at 6/7 would be great for Pakistan. Win win scenario. Maqsood and Akmal lower down, and Hafeez scoring quick runs lower down. Then if Akmal comes good and finds some consistency, Pakistans batting troubles may go away whereas if given a good run and fails, we can all say that he was dropped fairly.:haris

Last edited:
He has absolutely no idea on how to build an innings.

Slogger.

he doesnt deserve to play in top order , better for him to be wicketkeeper batsmen who bats at #6 or 7

sir akmal with trophy again...i think sir akmal should take his batting seriously.he should stop this cheap stuff.he not 16 year old teenager..behave like a man.

he doesnt deserve to play in top order , better for him to be wicketkeeper batsmen who bats at #6 or 7

that is what waqar even said in a post match analysis in uae...umar akmal technique and temprement wise isnt a top a order bat...suited to number 6...

Once again he is stuck in a bad situation when the top order has failed.

Why does he not bat higher up the order

IF he was to score big today and save Pakistan i wonder how many people will view this as a 'minnow bashing innings' This is a situation where looking at stats instead of watching the match can be misleading.

Playing beautifully so far unlike top order batsmen who need 4-5 balls to take a single.

Playing beautifully so far unlike top order batsmen who need 4-5 balls to take a single.

Its amazing, how our entire top order plays tuk tuk tuk, afraid against Afghanistan and he comes out and makes it look so easy.

Bat him at number 4

Back