Umar Akmal : Mega Discussion Thread

yes.he should come in only when its 20 required of 100 balls then he can score winning runs.Otherwise if there is a situation where umar has to play some cricket,dont send him at all.retire hurt before coming in.

Best post of the day. Great answer. Akmal is a rusty gate

There is a huge difference in class between kohli and Akmal. Not sure why many people dont understand. Kohli is twice as much talented as Akmal.

yes.he should come in only when its 20 required of 100 balls then he can score winning runs.Otherwise if there is a situation where umar has to play some cricket,dont send him at all.retire hurt before coming in.

but he still won't take the team home (first ODI) :)))

Missed this post. Completely shows up this thread and destroys the weak argument OP is trying to put forth.

So that's the excuse now.

I wonder if tight pants might become an excuse some day.

This guy has no plan on how to construct an innings.. Lets not take the name of Kohli here, very unfair to Akmal. But seriously, people stooping to silly arguments to defend an average guy is laughable!

Why does Umar Akmal come to bat in horrible situation 90% of the time

Yawn. Enough excuses for this average/over-rated batsman. The guy cannot construct an innings. Pants. Same goes for Amin.

Lahore Dynamite: Umar Akmal

Made my mind up on this guy- not good enough.

Top order scores bulk of runs - Umar Akmal is not getting enough opportunities to shine.
Top Order Fails - Umar Akmal always comes in horrible situations.

Winning from any position is what defines a good player. Of course they're not expected to do it every time. But I'm struggling to even recollect once when Umar Akmal made it count when Pak was in dire situation.

We want him to be the next Kohli, but it seems like we always put him in a horrible situation.

Like one in ten occasions he comes to bat when things are nicely set (like the first odi).
Just so unfair on him. Horrible horrible stuff. Can never play his natural game

What the hell.. :)))

Next you ll be crying out asking ICC to make bowlers bowl to him with one hand tied behind their back? :))

Lol, and Wahab comes in at a situation that is worse than Umars while Wahab is a bowler.

Wahab>Umar Miandad Akmal :)))

For the love of god!! I've heard Umar & Kohli's name so many times together that I am beginning to feel they are more related than Umar & Kamran themselves.

For the love of god!! I've heard Umar & Kohli's name so many times together that I am beginning to feel they are more related than Umar & Kamran themselves.

Yeah it's just shameless Akmal fans and family members posting. Light years difference

This guy has no plan on how to construct an innings.. Lets not take the name of Kohli here, very unfair to Akmal. But seriously, people stooping to silly arguments to defend an average guy is laughable!

That's what I keep saying. Akmal is a horrible hack. He's a worse batsman than debashis mohanty

Yeah it's just shameless Akmal fans and family members posting. Light years difference

Actually it is unfair to compare two players. This unnecessarily puts pressure on them. I have not seen a thread comparing Ian Bell with Hashim Amla. Maybe, this helps Ian Bell perform a lot of times.

I think Kamran Akmal is a better batsman than him. He actually won pakistan many games with his batting.

To Akmal fanboys- How many times has Misbah come in at 23/3 & still gone on to score fifies? Yea exactly.

If Umar Akmal is really as good as made out to be..then he should be hitting fifties with ease.

This is the lamest excuse I have seen

Cometh the hour cometh the man. Kohli comes when his team needs 320 and he scores a 183. And batting at 100/4 is hardly a tough position. What's worse is that the players whine about it. When fans have such defeatist mentality cricketers will feel the same.

A true player will relish the challenge to finish the game off. That should be the attitude.

solution is plain and simple, he should be the permanent no.4 in ODIs and no.3 in T20s, will win us a lot of games but till we have useless skipper and coach, don't expect much

He is destroyed. He him self has no idea.. either let him bat one down or dont select him. What are his stats by batting position?

Excuses for a very mentally weak, gutless, mediocre player, yet so much criticisms of other cricketers

People give so many excuses here for Umar Akmal I some time feel they are paid by him. He is a guy without brain and I think he was talented some years ago and now is a total hack and idiot with the bat like other 10 fellows in the team.

:)) @ fairweather fans in here

I find it funny that every Tom Dick & Harry gets to immediately bat up the order but Jr. cannot for some reason be tried at #4 in ODIs ... I find that very absurd. You can't expect Umar to do a Kohli when he's had no previous experience of batting in the top order and building confidence in constructing an inning.

We want to ridicule the one guy who actually does bat with intent in this team outside of Shehzad just because he hasn't delivered in this series yet. Yes Umar failed today but is that reason to have a go at him?

If Umar Akmal is rubbish than the rest of our batting is below that aswell.

He's just rubbish. Sorry.

This is what many fail to realise. The sooner they do, the better they will feel.

what's the next excuse??
he saw a khubsurat ladki in the crowd and lost his concentration??

Re: Why does Umar Akmal come to bat in horrible situation 90% of the time

ATM even Raina >>> Umar. Raina despite horrible technique and a perpetual phobia against the short ball has won his team games including a couple of clutch knocks in the WC especially one against Pakistan batting with the tail. That's what matters not what your average is at the end of the day. Umar though is still better than other batsmen in the side except Misbah and should stay in the side.

And for the love of God, bring in Fawad Alam and drop useless dreck like Umar Classy Amin.

This is what many fail to realise. The sooner they do, the better they will feel.

yeah if Umar's rubbish I wonder what that means for other Bradmans in the team including the skipper himself !!

:)) @ fairweather fans in here

I find it funny that every Tom Dick & Harry gets to immediately bat up the order but Jr. cannot for some reason be tried at #4 in ODIs ... I find that very absurd. You can't expect Umar to do a Kohli when he's had no previous experience of batting in the top order and building confidence in constructing an inning.

We want to ridicule the one guy who actually does bat with intent in this team outside of Shehzad just because he hasn't delivered in this series yet. Yes Umar failed today but is that reason to have a go at him?
The team management & captain knows dat Umar Akmal doesn't have the temperment to bat up the order..thats y they don't promote him....
Ppl like me & u can give Herculean ideas but the team management knows the players ability better than us... :D

ATM even Raina >>> Umar. Raina despite horrible technique and a perpetual phobia against the short ball has won his team games including a couple of clutch knocks in the WC especially one against Pakistan batting with the tail. That's what matters not what your average is at the end of the day. Umar though is still better than other batsmen in the side except Misbah and should stay in the side.

And for the love of God, bring in Fawad Alam and drop useless dreck like Umar Classy Amin.

Umar Akmal won us the game against Australia in the WC and last year in T20 WC won us the match against SA. He's actually been our best batsman in world tournaments for last 3 years but still gets the most stick which is ridiculous.

yeah if Umar's rubbish I wonder what that means for other Bradmans in the team including the skipper himself !!

Yea, most pf them are mediocre at best. The skipper is our best batsman.

The team management & captain knows dat Umar Akmal doesn't have the temperment to bat up the order..thats y they don't promote him....
Ppl like me & u can give Herculean ideas but the team management knows the players ability better than us... :D

Yeah team management showing faith in the likes of Hafeez, Farhat, Amin, Shafiq and every other joe schmoe ahead of Umar in the top order has sure paid off! :))

Yes, lets hand him success on a silver platter.

These days, he seems nothing more than an ODI number 6 who delivers against the weak attacks.

Sorry but no excuse works today. He had more than enough time to construct an innings.

POTW.

I think seriously that wahab is way better batsmen than umar akmal.
next comparison post should be wahab vs umar akmal.

P.S.

if it has to be an akmal as wk, I would say lets bring kamran akmal back. OR how about this, kamran as wk, umar as batsmen and adnan as a backup keeper if kamran drops few catches.

Yea, most pf them are mediocre at best. The skipper is our best batsman.

lol Misbah is actually worse then Umar. Remind me the last time Misbah won us a match against a top team in LOIs. Umar has won us 2 WC matches against Australia & SA.

Yes, lets hand him success on a silver platter.

These days, he seems nothing more than an ODI number 6 who delivers against the weak attacks.

Sorry but no excuse works today. He had more than enough time to construct an innings.

Sure he failed today. That's that. Lets move on. There are bigger question marks in the batting then Umar.

Take the gloves off him. Let him bat at 4.

How about he is fed some nice beef steaks, a hot Japanese spa and 20 runs bonus already before the golden boy gets onto bat?

Perhaps then he will be able to construct an innings and play more than just a cameo?

Re: Lahore Dynamite: Umar Akmal

More like

20060718_napoleon_dynamite_2.jpg

You take Misbah's soul into the body of a 20 year old and he will immediately become Bullet Drive's favorite.

So brainless the boywonder strikes again. In thirty yrs of pak cricket ive seen some bekaar players but this current lot have to be the sigle worst odi pak batting team ive ever seen. Ever. No heart jazba or brains. And theyre rubbish batsmen too..miandad hit a hundred at 17. Brainless cant get beyond 10

POTT

Anyone with a bit of knowledge of cricket should know that this thread sums up the excuses brigade for Umar.

but he still won't take the team home (first ODI) :)))

Some hilarious comments here.

Frankly speaking, this talk of Umar vs Kohli is unfair to Umar. Kohli is in another league. Umar Akmal played poorly in this series so far. No need to come up with random excuses. All Pakistani batsmen today had lots of over to bat and Umar was one of them. Wicket was ideal for batting. Umar is anyway poor finisher at number 6.

In thirty yrs of pak cricket ive seen some bekaar players but this current lot have to be the sigle worst odi pak batting team ive ever seen. Ever. No heart jazba or brains. And theyre rubbish batsmen too..miandad hit a hundred at 17. Brainless cant get beyond 10

And yet you were saying 260 is peanuts for the pak team to chase down?

Re: Why does Umar Akmal come to bat in horrible situation 90% of the time

And yet you were saying 260 is peanuts for the pak team to chase down?

He was being sarcastic. Hafeez scoring a ton claim should have tipped you off. Hafeez can't score 100 runs even in 5 ODI series these days.

He was being sarcastic. Hafeez scoring a ton claim should have tipped you off. Hafeez can't score 100 runs even in 5 ODI series these days.

Ah, that is fine then. The hyper fans are pretty decent in numbers here, and hard to separate the over expectations from genuine posts.
Thanks. :)

I refuse to write him off until he's given a consistent run at no4.

By consistent, I mean 20-30 matches.

He has no excuse this series but to be fair neither does Misbah. Again he is playing poor but he has just come off a good series and has averaged near 40 this year sooo shouldn't point finger at him when there are plenty of people who haven't performed in many series.

He has no excuse this series but to be fair neither does Misbah. Again he is playing poor but he has just come off a good series and has averaged near 40 this year sooo shouldn't point finger at him when there are plenty of people who haven't performed in many series.

So a good series against West Indies is considered a benchmark now?

I refuse to write him off until he's given a consistent run at no4.

By consistent, I mean 20-30 matches.

Yup, until he hasn't been given a run at #4 I'm not writing him off either. He has done quite well so far given the circumstances, no reason why he can't succeed with more responsibility. This is something I've been asking for since 2011 but all on deaf ears.

So a good series against West Indies is considered a benchmark now?

Funny how people like you praise Misbah when he scores runs against the likes of WI & Zimbabwe but when Umar does it, it suddenly becomes worthless. :))

The telling fact is, both Misbah & Umar are having a bad series so far and that reflects in our batting failures. Shehzad is the only one that has performed but our 2 mainstays in batting haven't so we can see what is happening.

Yup, until he hasn't been given a run at #4 I'm not writing him off either. He has done quite well so far given the circumstances, no reason why he can't succeed with more responsibility. This is something I've been asking for since 2011 but all on deaf ears.
The way Pakistan manage batsmen, no young player could survive.

In all honesty, if I was a Pakistani youngster I'd pray I wasn't selected under the current captain, coach and whatever Moin Khan is classed as. Better off playing in the Pakistan ODI side after those in power have been removed from their leadership positions.

Has been treated so poorly. Want to write an article but I cba because it'll be too long.

I have so much faith in him but it isn't being fulfilled due to this current set up he's in. Could be ruined forever.

In all honesty, if I was a Pakistani youngster I'd pray I wasn't selected under the current captain, coach and whatever Moin Khan is classed as. Better off playing in the Pakistan ODI side after those in power have been removed from their leadership positions.

You are a POTW winner??? How?

No doubt, if your support system is not right, you will go no where. Ask any world class athlete and they'll tell you that. Talent + work ethic + support system are the necessary ingredients for making it at the highest level.

In Pakistan, what most lack is the right support system (coaching staff, domestic structure & facilities). Those with potential aren't given priority neither are they looked after by coaches to improve their weaknesses. This is why you see some of the talented bunch making the same mistakes again and again while paindoo coaches take their paychecks happily all the way to the bank!

You are a POTW winner??? How?
Quick check of your post history shows you turned up in the Pakistan batting innings today while Asad and Umar were batting and in trouble. Classic troll.

Last edited:
Quick check of your post history shows you turned up in the Pakistan batting innings today while Asad and Umar were batting. Classic troll.

How is that a conclusive research to label him as a troll?

He got out for a low score. Against a lulloo bowler. To a full toss. Awful batting and comparing him to Kohli is like comparing Ronaldo to Fellaini

Has been treated so poorly. Want to write an article but I cba because it'll be too long.

I have so much faith in him but it isn't being fulfilled due to this current set up he's in. Could be ruined forever.

he came in with 30 overs left this innings, I'm sure Kohli would have done better

So today he had 30 overs to bat ( more than most number 4's get), patted the ball back to the bowler after about 3 overs and we're supposed to blame the set up?

Back