Zimbabwe (115/9) hand a shocking 13-run defeat to India (102) in the 1st T20I

You need to trust tailenders when there are less balls remaining. This is not a test match

ahotv6c_hardik-pandya_625x300_30_June_24.jpg

Not a bad result for Ind honestly. The crowd at Harare was buzzing. That's good to see. There's still love for the game in Zimbabwe. This loss will show this team's character and mental strength. Do they become timid and be defensive in the second game ? Or do they take the bull by the horn amd dominate and crush the opposition ? Good result for the series. A 5-0 one sided Ind series win would be boring. Now it makes the series lively and interesting!

The big hits aren't easy to come on this ground. Washington needed to rotate strike

Did I say WC. Blood them in bilaterals.

Blood them in meaningless tourneys like champions trophy. Ipl etc.
Exactly... None deserved a place in wc squad... Did you not hear how some of these supposedly win us the WC if played in lieu of Kohli and sharma

It's time to realize how important Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli were to the T20is. It's easy to say things on social media, but nothing beats experience and class. A lot of work to do for our young guys.

They are young lads, they will learn it
Don't panic at all .

This is a victory for cricket well done Zimbabwe India a good team but when you have guys like Jay Shah, and Hardik say we can field 3 teams...what a joke a lot of work to be done for this young indian side a learning experience indeed

It's time to realize how important Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli were to the T20is. It's easy to say things on social media, but nothing beats experience and class. A lot of work to do for our young guys.

They are young lads, they will learn it
Don't panic at all .
This team just played 1 match. They are yet to even know each other's weakness, strength while playing together to build the sync. How can anyone compare this to Rohit or kohli who's been playing together years after years.

And lol @ our so called depth!

A wake up call.

As they say in desh, ghanta depth.
You decided this after 1 match?

Players like Abhishek, Parag, Gill, Rinku etc are future players of India. They have blasted better bowlers in IPL than these Innocent Kala's and Luke Jongwe's of Zimbabwe.

It takes a little time. Most are very young and they will only get better. Once bad game does not mean they are trash. I expect them to win the rest of the games.

This team just played 1 match. They are yet to even know each other's weakness, strength while playing together to build the sync. How can anyone compare this to Rohit or kohli who's been playing together years after years.
flimsy excuse for a team filled with IPL superstars.

Hopefully the pull up their sock and win the next 4

Yes, but what if they played like this in a crucial match in WC. they are rightly blooded in bilaterals and some of these will learn in few years and eventually become good enough to take on the big dogs in world cups.

Well done Zimbabwe . what an exceptional display of Skill and determination defending 115 on any ground against any team is no Joke and to do that against BCCI deserves an applause.

Congrats Zimbabwe!

I was kinda expected a few lossless with this bunch (mainly due to bowling attack) but not in the first game itself and that too for such a small target chasing by our batters.

Awful start from lachchu bhai and gill combo.

One defeat and former Kaptaan's chicken suckers are out in force.

Have some shame.
Hope this team feels some and put Zimbabwe in their place... Let see if they can atleast do that in the next 4 matches... This is not just a defeat, it's a defeat against a team which couldn't qualify to a 20 team tournament

Zimbabwe vs India, 1st T20I​

Zimbabwe Innings

115-9 (20 Ov)

India Innings

102-10 (19.5 Ov)

Zimbabwe won by 13 runs

Superb efforts by Zimbabwe 👌🏻👌🏻 excellent fielding, Sharpe captaincy by Raza. Gave their 100% 😍
Wonder why they didn't play world cup 🔥

This is a huge result for Zim cricket, sponsors will like it series gets excited everyone is waiting for game 2

Players like Abhishek, Parag, Gill, Rinku etc are future players of India. They have blasted better bowlers in IPL than these Innocent Kala's and Luke Jongwe's of Zimbabwe.

It takes a little time. Most are very young and they will only get better. Once bad game does not mean they are trash. I expect them to win the rest of the games.
I think it's all worked out pretty well so far. We took experienced, solid cricketers to the world cup and won it.

Now we're giving the young'uns a chance. Obviously, we knew Gill, Bishnoi and Sundar are quality and they've shown some.

My main hope from this series is that we can find one more...just one more among the likes of Parag, Rinku, Abhishek, Dube & co to make a place in the team.

Exactly... None deserved a place in wc squad... Did you not hear how some of these supposedly win us the WC if played in lieu of Kohli and sharma
Those 2 failed when they were younger too.
.it takes time to develop talent.

Zimbabwe even beat Aussies once. In Australia
They also beat Pakistan in wc.

How many ducks did kohli have in the WC? Or low scores. Give them same amount of chances to fail for youngsters and they would do just as well.

Jaiswal rinku Samson etc all deserve to be playing in t20 wc. Rana too who is a very good bowler.

Impressive from Zimbabwe but I don't think the result matters for India. Its all about giving these young players international exposure.

Does remind you of that Pandya statement though where he said that we can field multiple teams and win everything.

Not a bad result for Ind honestly. The crowd at Harare was buzzing. That's good to see. There's still love for the game in Zimbabwe. This loss will show this team's character and mental strength. Do they become timid and be defensive in the second game ? Or do they take the bull by the horn amd dominate and crush the opposition ? Good result for the series. A 5-0 one sided Ind series win would be boring. Now it makes the series lively and interesting!
We need Zimbabwe qualifying for tournaments again. Their fans love cricket but the team seems to have random brain fades in the qualifiers.

Zimbabwe could have been a fantastic addition to the T20 world cup. PNG and Uganda were literally useless the whole first round.

ICC needs to go away from the regional qualifiers horsecrap and give the deserving teams a chance at the highest stage. Cricket is not soccer with good teams in each and every corner of the world

I’m coming from the perspective of someone who actually saw every ball in the game including Sundar’s woefully bad last two or three overs of batting.

Also the perspective of these guys being IPL stars - they’ve blasted better bowlers? Sure didn’t look like it. When one IPL star has a bad game it’s fine. But when so many have such a bad game, you have to start thinking.

And finally (remember?) I’m coming from the perspective of that famous statement that a player made that were good enough to field two or three championship teams.

I know they’re are young players, and they are India’s future.

I expect them to bounce back and start to win games

But let’s not kid ourself - at this stage we don’t have the depth that some people were imagining (emphasis is deliberate), and it’s very obvious. International cricket is tough. They have a hard learning curve ahead of them.

I’m coming from the perspective of someone who actually saw every ball in the game including Sundar’s woefully bad last two or three overs of batting.

Also the perspective of these guys being IPL stars - they’ve blasted better bowlers? Sure didn’t look like it. When one IPL star has a bad game it’s fine. But when so many have such a bad game, you have to start thinking.

And finally (remember?) I’m coming from the perspective of that famous statement that a player made that were good enough to field two or three championship teams.

But let’s not kid ourself - at this stage we don’t have the depth that some people were imagining (emphasis is deliberate), and it’s very obvious. International cricket is tough. They have a hard learning curve ahead of them.
They are too talented to wither out due to the pressures of international cricket. They will bounce back and win the series.

How many ducks did kohli have in the WC? Or low scores. Give them same amount of chances to fail for youngsters and they would do just as well.

Jaiswal rinku Samson etc all deserve to be playing in t20 wc. Rana too who is a very good bowler.
Yes they deserve to be playing, but the team wouldn't deserve to win the cup- because it clearly wouldn't be strong enough team

I am not surprised at Zimbabwe's win. Zimbabwe often beat big teams at home. They beat India, Pakistan, New Zealand, and West Indies at home in the past (within the last 10-15 years).

A full-strength Zimbabwe side can give a fight to any big team's depleted side.

Saw the scorecard. Some completely new names in their batting. Bad defeat really but expect India to win the series now that they are aware of conditions

I am not surprised at Zimbabwe's win. Zimbabwe often beat big teams at home. They beat India, Pakistan, New Zealand, and West Indies at home in the past (within the last 10-15 years).

Don’t know much about socio-political situation there but clearly they would do pretty well with more support from the cricketing world.

That Zimbabwean side was entirely different. This current team is a nobody squad that even lost to Uganda and couldn't qualify for the World Cup.

Kohli earned his place in the World Cup team, so he deserves some leeway. His presence alone is enough to intimidate the opponent. Let these new players have legendary careers with 80+ centuries, and then they can afford to have strings of ducks and low scores but should perform in the final.

Replace Kohli with any of them, and India would have been bowled out for less than 100 in the final.

Let the new players prove themselves in bilateral series and other matches before deserving to play in the World Cup.

they beat Aus in Aus last year that too in ODI

Scary performance by the Zims...

Proves the importance of anchors like RizBar in T20 cricket. :inti

If India doesn't win the series against Zimbabwe, the players should be asked to pitch in Rs 125 Crore to the BCCI's "Oops, We Lost" fund. As T20 World Champs, they should be allergic to losing! :inti

They are too talented to wither out due to the pressures of international cricket. They will bounce back and win the series.
I’m sure they will.

But this is a lesson that they can’t just walk in and think they’re rock stars and expect to perform at the international level. Nope, even Zimbabwe has come to play. League heroics don’t mean too much when it’s country versus country, and anyone can take you out in the shortest version.

Also I’m sure they won’t be interested, but this should be a lesson for guys like Azam Khan and some people in the Pakistan cricket team.

Boss, you can be a hero in the leagues, but that won’t get you an ounce of extra respect when playing for your nation.

You need to work harder, take nothing for granted.

A taste of things to come as the stalwarts retire from the Indian team.

Reality us back.

Kudos to Zimbabwe for beating India, but this loss won't affect India that much, and you would not see their interim captain giving statements like "now you know the value of Babar and Rizwan" in the press like Shadab Khan after the defeat.

There is a way to groom new young players, and India has already started the process. Among their top six batters, before this match, nobody had played more than 15 t20is except Ruturaj Gaikwad, who has played 19 t20is for India sporadically. You can celebrate the India loss today, and they will celebrate the trophies later. That's how you make a team for the future; this loss will help them improve, whereas I don't see the point of improvement when other teams lose to Ireland and the USA with a full-strength side.

Without Kohli Rohit and Jadeja India will lose more matches for a few years you can't replace those 3 easily.

Wow cant imagine the younger ind players getting bashed. They have enough experience to bounce back which they will for sure. Give them a few games time. This younger group will win more icc trophies and they will choke less in the SFs or finals. Folks here are doing a disservice to them by piling on. Just hope tuk tuks like gill gaikwad on the center stage perform or get exposed..

Without Kohli Rohit and Jadeja India will lose more matches for a few years you can't replace those 3 easily.
Thats a fallacy. They were not playing t20 bilaterals for a while. If anything this younger core will fare even better than the previous Ind teams especially in KO games

LOL. It’s one match. Nobody has a birthright to win every match. Let the series finish.

I would rather lose to Zimbabwe with my C team than have my main team players dominate and statpad against them. Young players need these kinds of experiences to grow as players. In international cricket you don't get steroid IPL pitches where teams score 250 for fun.

Again just Like NZ, Goal wasn't to butchered Zimbabwe, it was to groom the next gen

One match doesn't determine the capability of the players but it proves that if you don't play well, you can't win games.

The names in this XI are good enough. Gill, Abhishek, Ruturaj, Parag, Rinku, Jurel and Sundar are all decent players and can win matches on their own but if they play poorly, they can lose too. So, a good reality check for fans.

Back