Australia v Pakistan | 1st Test - Day 4 | MCG | 29/12/09

Status
Not open for further replies.
sali said:
Good positive play today. Only if we had done the same in the first inning

Then Pointing wouldn't have declared twice in his arrogance! It was a ploy to make them overconfident!

For us to win, one of the Akmals have to make 100. Assuming 75% strike rate for their 100,

it leaves 150 runs in 55 ovs for rest of the team.

cricfan967 said:
Well batted Pakistan in for a chance here now!
I'd say 25% Pakistan win 40% Australia win 35% Draw.
As the partnership grows, Pakistan's chances grow with it.

Draw is not going to happen...there is virtually 0% chance of a draw...

7am Going Sleep now. Thank you every one. Good Night. See you all tommorow. Gr8 day in store Insha'allah.

iafzal said:
A lot will depend on these two and when Aussies get the new ball just after lunch
You're absolutely right, the new ball is gonna be critical - as long as we have these two, or other proper batsmen playing and negotiating the first 15/20 overs of the new ball, we have a good chance afterwards. Yes, we might have 7 wickets in hand now, but given our pathetic tail, that's more like 4 'real' wickets...once we are 7 down, its almost all over bar the shouting.

ali_ed2006 said:
so what do you guys think for tomorrow. Play out the lunch session watchfully by scoring 65-70 runs and then hopefully these 2 will be there and attack after that, or just play like right now?

Just carry on like now - the old ball has 35 overs to go so might aswell take as much runs from it as we can cos the run rate will slow once the new ball is taken

Just imagine if Pakistan pulled this off, Aussies media will rip Punter's two declarations into pieces :)))

Dare2Dream said:
Then Pointing wouldn't have declared twice in his arrogance! It was a ploy to make them overconfident!

No, if the lead was 100, MoYo would have been less negative today and we would have bowled them out under 250 (catches taken) with a lead of 350.

ali_ed2006 said:
so what do you guys think for tomorrow. Play out the lunch session watchfully by scoring 65-70 runs and then hopefully these 2 will be there and attack after that, or just play like right now?

Best plan for pakistan is 'no plan"......... everyone to play their normal game (except Misbah who should avoid coming up with new creative ways of getting out).

Afridi_Fan said:
Just imagine if Pakistan pulled this off, Aussies media will rip Punter's two declarations into pieces :)))

and that are very rare chances as i assume

The positive attitude from Pakis has set up the match beautifully with all the three results possible..I think we've got a great chance to create the history...:moyo..

Afridi_Fan said:

It would be the greatest test chase in the history of the game. We still have a long way to go before that happens.

If these two can stay out there until lunch then we may have something great on our hands. As of now we are miles away still.

Great day for Pakistan i'll say..Let's hope atleast 1 guy can scored century and another 70+ and some chip in...Pak will win inshallah :)

If we score at 3.5 runs of the remaining 35 overs of this ball, we'll need around 130 when Australia will get the new ball.

And if we didn't lose a wicket by then. Man I think I'll have an heart attack.

Seen Sheen said:
The positive attitude from Pakis has set up the match beautifully with all the three results possible..I think we've got a great chance to create the history...:moyo..

There are 4 possible results actually.

Seen Sheen said:
All four, you mean :)

It'd be unbelievable if Pakistan can pull that off..Let's hope these two can stay atleast till lunch...Game on :)

sali said:
No, if the lead was 100, MoYo would have been less negative today and we would have bowled them out under 250 (catches taken) with a lead of 350.

With all due respect, if you watched the match today, you'd know that Yousef had the Aussies on the rope, field placement was air tight and bowling line was amazing, and that too with Rauf and Ajmal in the squad.

I'm gutted that the days play finished there, too much thinking and team talks overnight will almost certainly change the attitude of Yousuf and Junior at the start of play tomorrow but realising that we were genuinely going for the win - even if it was only for a few overs - is a massive shift in the normal mindset of Pakistani sides.

Yousuf leaning back to slap the first ball of the last over of the day over mid-on for 4 runs is the biggest statement of intent I've seen from Pakistan in a long time.

Geordie Ahmed said:
A great days play - im happy with how things have gone.

We have atleast got the Australians sweating a bit - and thats more than most expected.

Yousuf and Umar have played well BUT they must put on a BIG partnership - they have to take us well above 300 if we want to have a chance of winning this game
For sure a great day:) Hope the y continue playing till tea at least:) Ansha-Allah

At least we stretched the game until day 5. That's an achievement for our top 3 nikamas.

iafzal said:
Draw is the least likely right now.

I agree.

If Pakistan end up batting the whole day they will win the match.. simple as that.

Draw can only happen if we completely fall apart and then our tail enders hold up fort for a long time just defending the ball. I don't see that happening to be honest.

I would say.. these are the chances..

Australia win - 60 %

Pakistan win- 30%

Draw - 10 %

The team with the highest fourth innings total on this ground is Pakistan. We scored 336 in the fourth innings. On the last day we managed 186 runs

Unfortunately we lost that match by 92 runs, very similar circumstances to this match, but I'm sure the wicket wasn't as good as this. By the way, that result was in 1989/1990.

Big Mac said:
Yousuf leaning back to slap the first ball of the last over of the day over mid-on for 4 runs is the biggest statement of intent I've seen from Pakistan in a long time.

Definitely, I'm loving Yousef as captain and Waqar as coach, with youngsters like Umar Akmal and Aamir in the squad to follow their lead. Amazing cricket from Pakistan!

kingusama92 said:
I agree.

If Pakistan end up batting the whole day they will win the match.. simple as that.

Draw can only happen if we completely fall apart and then our tail enders hold up fort for a long time just defending the ball. I don't see that happening to be honest.

Australia win - 60 %

Pakistan win- 30%

Draw - 10 %

A Tie? :13:

kingusama92 said:
I agree.

Australia win - 60 %

Pakistan win- 30%

Draw - 10 %

i Agree

ShehryarK said:
You're absolutely right, the new ball is gonna be critical - as long as we have these two, or other proper batsmen playing and negotiating the first 15/20 overs of the new ball, we have a good chance afterwards. Yes, we might have 7 wickets in hand now, but given our pathetic tail, that's more like 4 'real' wickets...once we are 7 down, its almost all over bar the shouting.
well said:) two battng and two more to come. Hopefully these two will continue through lunch tomorrow, and just may be :) we will not need anyone else to bat, Insha-Allah

Big Mac said:
Nah, we won't lose this one.

That for sure is out of my mind. But just for the sake of discussion, we can add that as a possibilty. ;-)

cricfan967 said:
Oh my, imagine what would've happened if that man held on to that catch.
Game over.

We're going to need more luck like that if we are to challenge Australia tomorrow.

They've dropped 2 catches already in this innings. Although the first one was tough for North.

cricfan967 said:
Oh my, imagine what would've happened if that man held on to that catch.
Game over.

Imagine if :misbah had caught watson on Day 1.

Imagine if :umarakmal had caught Katich on Day 1.

Imagine if :akmal had caught Punter on Day 1.

Imagine.........

You want me to go on?

Average 4th innings total by Pakistan on this ground is 229. So we need to beat that first.

Big Mac said:
I'm gutted that the days play finished there, too much thinking and team talks overnight will almost certainly change the attitude of Yousuf and Junior at the start of play tomorrow but realising that we were genuinely going for the win - even if it was only for a few overs - is a massive shift in the normal mindset of Pakistani sides.

The attitude in Pakistan batting is day and night when comparing the 2nd innings to 1st innings.

It is refreshing to see this, it will be interesting to find out what happened in last couple of days to change it or who was behind it? Could it be Waqar?

Chuffed said:
The team with the highest fourth innings total on this ground is Pakistan. We scored 336 in the fourth innings. On the last day we managed 186 runs

Unfortunately we lost that match by 92 runs, very similar circumstances to this match, but I'm sure the wicket wasn't as good as this. By the way, that result was in 1989/1990.
Good comparison, but two issues:

1. The wicket was completely different, in the first innings, Aus got 223, we got 107!

2. Yes, we had to chase 429 so it was very similar to today - but then, in 1990, we ended the 4th day at 159/4 - and Miandad was out 4th man out on Day 4 - so we were worse off than now, that's for sure.

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself tomorrow, Insha Allah! :)

Chuffed said:
Average 4th innings total by Pakistan on this ground is 229. So we need to beat that first.

So you think right now we are playing average cricket?

Afridi_Fan said:

Imagine.........

You want me to go on?

:pkflag Simple As that we have won this match

ShehryarK said:
Good comparison, but two issues:

1. The wicket was completely different, in the first innings, Aus got 223, we got 107!

2. Yes, we had to chase 429 so it was very similar to today - but then, in 1990, we ended the 4th day at 159/4 - and Miandad was out 4th man out on Day 4 - so we were worse off than now, that's for sure.

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself tomorrow, Insha Allah! :)

Inshallah. Impressed by your knowledge.

Afridi_Fan said:
So you think right now we are playing average cricket?

No, just mentioned it as landmark to overcome. That statistic spans 3 decades. The highest score being 336.

Afridi_Fan said:
Australia on top, but Pakistan hope.

Cricinfo's main headline.
At this point I wouldn't call Australia on top. Do they have an edge yes. but not on top:)

I thought our batsmen :moyo and :umarakmal were aggressive. Or were we battling?

Afridi_Fan said:

Imagine.........

You want me to go on?
Fair enough, all good points - just for argument's sake though, had we caught all those chances, Punter won't have declared in the two innings, would he?

Instead of 454/5d, it might have been 400 all out in the 1st, and instead of 225/8d in the 2nd, it might have been 275/10 in the 2nd...ie our target now would be the same.

The point is, we just don't know either way :) So let's make the most of where we are now, Day 1 is history :)

I want to go to bed, but still buzzing after that tense encounter between Katich and Akmal.

Was not able to watch the match at all today. It's going to be a interesting battle for the fifth day...Moyo & Akmal if they get 100s...then wow. We have something special brewing here.

At least we know why Punter wasn't bowling Katich, he bowled some rank long hops.

Chuffed said:
No, just mentioned it as landmark to overcome. That statistic spans 3 decades. The highest score being 336.
May be we will Insha-Allah. Let's say so far so good:). Moyo is capable of scoring century. Omar is good especially if he doesn't get too excited. This time Yousef is here to calm him down. So task may be tough and never achieved before, I pin my hope on pakistan winning this test match, Insha-Allah. First session of the play will tell us a lot

250 is still chasable so everyone needs to chill. We will win this match tomorrow INSHALLAH

Afridi_Fan said:

Imagine.........

You want me to go on?
:14:

Vegitto1 said:
after so many years! we are going into a 5th day match against aussies where we might be able to win the game.

that too with a second string bowling attack and not a full-strength batting line-up.

good work boys..only if you had put a decent effort in 1st innings
gul is the only one missing......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back