Australia vs India | 2nd Test | Sydney | 06/01/08

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Day 5 starts half an hour early today (in 2 hours time).

Its nicely poised with the Aussies 213 runs ahead and with 6 wickets in hand. Will they look to set the tourists a target, will they just use the day as batting practice and bat as long as they want to, or will the Indians bowl the Aussies out and wrap up a series levelling victory.

All discussions on day 5 in this thread please ladies and gents............

match headed for a draw and the streak will be over ....

cricket australia screwed up big time with the pitch preparation ...

india only has one healthy top level fast bowler yet they produce a pitch that helps spinners...

ponting also made mistakes .. too much reliance on hogg and not enough overs for M. Clark who looked the far more dangerous spinner.

kashif77 said:
match headed for a draw and the streak will be over ....

india only has one healthy top level fast bowler yet they produce a pitch that helps spinners...

ponting also made mistakes .. too much reliance on hogg and not enough overs for M. Clark who looked the far more dangerous spinner.
spot on wheres the so called fast bouncy wickets, ok perth is,but a art from that the wickets in australia are flat batting wickets :19:

India would still loose this test match

if Ponting declares to something like 260 runs to chase in 80 overs

the other close result seems to be draw

Should be interesting day´s play. To me 75% are the chances are of it being a draw.

I hope Punter will make a brave and sporting declaration and Dravid won´t bore me as I have to stay awake the whole night to watch the match.

I don't think the pitch has helped the spinners at all. It's just that both Harbhajan and Kumble love the bounce they've got in Sydney.

Gotta agree with Kashif77 on this one. Not really sure why Ponting is nullifying his home field advantage here.

Who knows, maybe there's a master plan that we're not seeing.

Kumble to bowl to Symonds and he takes a single to start
Aus 283-4 0 lead of 214
Hussey on 87

That means that match cannot be played on SCG. They will not change the basic SCG or ground pitch. MCG I have no idea but it is a batting pitch. But they will play at the big stadiums for high profile matches hoping that they get 30,000 spectators every day.

I like this better than preparing special pitches. Pick the ground instead as they have different personalities

Last edited:
Harbi bowling to Symonds. Would like to see the reaction if he gets Symonds out

Aussies need to get a move on and look to set a target of 300 in 75 overs.

Aus-Ind T20 match at MCG will be in HD and surround sound. Lucky people who will be able to watch it like that

Hussey gets 100 with a fine sweep shot :83: He has 100 in all the stadiums in Australia that he has played at. Cairns and Darwin left where he has not played

Aus 301-4 - lead of 232

And they are moving on. 235 lead with 92 overs to go. Need 65 in 15.

zzZZZzzZz boring match ... the fun will start in Perth where Tait will be bowling ...

match is far from a draw, aus already have a healthy lead with plenty of time remain[ing. Ricky Ponting is a class captain, with a ruthless streak, he'll want a win, not a draw.

it is light rain there but play continues. It could be a passing shower
Aus 315-4 - lead of 246

They should play much quicker then this. Like, they should have gotten 100 runs in 20 overs, then gave 80 overs for India to make 320 or get bowled out.

kashif77 said:
zzZZZzzZz boring match ... the fun will start in Perth where Tait will be bowling ...

Perth's fast, bouncy, nasty days are long gone. Its flattened out quite a bit going by the last match I witnessed. I think it will be more of an even contest this time around- Australia fired up after recent controversy notwithstanding.

danish hogg or mitchell sami needs to be dropped for tait

iZeeshan said:
They should play much quicker then this. Like, they should have gotten 100 runs in 20 overs, then gave 80 overs for India to make 320 or get bowled out.
I agree. Symonds in particular hasn't shown any urgency. They're really not pushing as hard as I thought they would. Still, 300 in 75 overs is on.

Sheikh said:
I agree. Symonds in particular hasn't shown any urgency. They're really not pushing as hard as I thought they would. Still, 300 in 75 overs is on.

same here. They've built a decent lead with only 4 down, you'd think they would go a little faster now with that and gilchrist to go and a ndecent tail batting wise.

But who kows,, maybe will start soon.

finally ishant comes on. Hasn't even bowld 10 overs yet. While kumble bajji have gone 28+

Can't understand the aussie tactics.. They're not doing anything but wasting overs. Ps interesting dhoni is keeping to pace bowler sharma with no helmet..?!

is that why ishant is so skinny .. he burns so much energy in missed run-ups .. LOL ...

TaZ said:
Can't understand the aussie tactics.. They're not doing anything but wasting overs. Ps interesting dhoni is keeping to pace bowler sharma with no helmet..?!

there isn't a chance in hell that they can bowl out india today... they don't have warne anymore.

tmac4real said:
same here. They've built a decent lead with only 4 down, you'd think they would go a little faster now with that and gilchrist to go and a ndecent tail batting wise.

But who kows,, maybe will start soon.
They're running out of time. They have to score the next 50 runs in about 45 minutes.

had india done somthing like this , we would be called negative etc etc .......!

It would have been a brilliant catch had Yuvi caught it at point
Aus 323-4 - lead of 254

I Sharma messes up runup again and then limps a bit. They are fixing a hole at the crease. The same one Harbhajan was digging earlier

Kashif77
Ecverything is possible. Remember Old Trafford 01 when we took 9 eng wickets after tea on day 5 to win. Look at how india nearly ran through us in the final session on day 5 in the 3rd test..

Time since last boundary - 40 balls
RP Singh to bowl
and first ball is hit to four over point

Last edited:
Australia playing for a draw ? :O this is the first time i have seen them do that

jusarrived said:
had india done somthing like this , we would be called negative etc etc .......!
That would be different. India wouldn't set Australia 300 to win in 75 overs.

octavian said:
Australia playing for a draw ? :O this is the first time i have seen them do that
hmm..here is my theory.
I think they want to eat up the overs with out scoring too many runs(if they score too many then IND will not attempt the chase).

PlanetPakistan said:
hmm..here is my theory.
I think they want to eat up the overs with out scoring too many runs(if they score too many then IND will not attempt the chase).

quite a theorist you are PP :) most of them dont work but this one i like

Symonds has gone after the ball 3 times this over now. Last one over cover for 4

Symonds finally unleashing. Big over for Australia. Just another 30 odd to get now in about 5 overs.

jusarrived said:

Ian Chappel already calling india very negative not just negative :p

There was rain but some stands are just empty. Looks like Paksitani crowd

thank you symonds for making this interesting

exactly Kashif. WTH i sHussey doing ? he has scored a century and still blocking it

octavian said:
exactly Kashif. WTH i sHussey doing ? he has scored a century and still blocking it
It was the other way around for the first 30-45 mins of play.

WIll Ponting declare after 300 lead is up? Or will he decide to play it safe and go for a lead of 320-350?

gloves will be brought in for batsman after the over. so message coming about how many overs left. I am guessing 2-3

Why won't Dubya declare? Surely he wants to win the match?

Lead is up to 300 now... come on Ponting declare!

sharma's spell is reminding me of Sami....bowling well but without any luck

This drinks break could have been the change-over instead. Waste of time, really.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is Slater really annoying to listen to?

If declaration is right now then India will have to score at 4.12 if they go for win

Symmo out, finally the declaration hopefully.

Though knowing Dubya, he will probably have Gilly on to try and flog a few before the declaration, which does not come.

a very good catch by Dhoni. Symonds ct behind off RP Singh.
Aus 378-5 - lead of 309
still no declaration

4.12 wont be so difficult. Seems there is nothing in this track for the quickies and Hogg hasnt really bowled well in this series. I think India shoud make this a 5 over match now, hit out or get out. Well Symonds is gone. RP strikes.

Back