Cricket Australia has shown willingness to host tri-series with India and Pakistan in future [Update on post#62]

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
After the success of their T20 World Cup clash at the MCG, discussions are reportedly underway for India and Pakistan to face off again in Australia.

While there’s still hope for both teams to meet in the Final of the ongoing tournament, India and Pakistan fans could be set for a Test match somewhere down under if talks continue to progress according to former Australian all-rounder Simon O’Donnell.

It is hoped that Australia could play host to cricket’s fiercest rivalry which has been restricted to only major tournaments in the last decade due to ongoing tensions between the countries.

O’Donnell says there’s also been talk of a potential triangular One-Day International series taking place between India, Pakistan and Australia if the hopes of a Test match fall through.

“That (their T20 World Cup clash) was extraordinary,” O’Donnell said on SEN Breakfast.

“That game itself is the one that’s held the tournament up so far, people keep referring back to it.

“There was 90,000 at a neutral venue, there was extraordinary emotion, the scenes of the game, the tightness of the game, the pressure.

“It was magnificent sort of stuff, to the level that I can say there will be discussions being had, or there are discussions being had to play a Test match here.

“There’s also the possibility of a triangular One-Day series between India, Pakistan and Australia or a Test match between India and Pakistan.

“My word there are (conversations happening), in the wake of this (T20 World Cup clash).

“There are already discussions taking place.”

O’Donnell believes cricket’s governing bodies must not let the huge success of last week’s match “dissipate and fade” as hopes of further games between the countries build.

“You can’t let that just dissipate and fade,” O’Donnell said.

“You need to envelop and embrace it, I can tell you discussions are underway.”

The rivals last played in a Test series in 2007 with India winning the three-game series 1-0 on home soil.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10...ay-for-an-india-v-pakistan-test-in-australia/

Oh please not this, we will get whitewashed in down under going by India and our record in Australia.

England is the only place right now where we can compete

Don't take anybody's word for things like these unless it is from the BCCI.

We know how these stories play out.

Bring it on. Would love to watch an indo pak test in aus!
I was lucky to watch the match live at MCG -what an atmosphere!
well test cricket might not quite be the same but it still is the ultimate buzz.
And yeah - hope they play dill dill jaan jaan pak in the stadium, i njoid this with my pak friends :)

India has been stronger than Australia in Australia, would be a terrible matchup.

If there's any place I would want to play Test cricket at neutral venue, its Australia. This World T20 has showed why its a better venue for tournaments and for cricket in general.

Wouldn't mind this happening :inti

If there's any place I would want to play Test cricket at neutral venue, its Australia. This World T20 has showed why its a better venue for tournaments and for cricket in general.

Nahi bhai Pakistan will be beaten black and blue no interest from us.

As expected:

“There is no question of playing Pakistan in any tournament apart from ICC and Asian events. We are not travelling to Pakistan and not playing anywhere else. It’s very simple. Despite the interest it generates, we are not a private body. We are bound by government rules and if it doesn’t allow us to play Pakistan, we cannot,” a senior BCCI official told InsideSport.IN.

Simon O'Donnell is just a broadcaster. These are just his personal musings. They have no impact whatsoever on inter board discussions

Oh God please don't do that.

Host it anywhere but Australia.

PM Modi will not let this happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be a fascinating Test match if these two sides meet in Australia. However, knowing BJP, it is unlikely to happen.

Don't like these reports, it always gives the impression that the PCB is approaching the BCCI with a begging bowl.

Doesn't matter true or not
Doesnt matter who is the better team.

I hope this doesn't happen. Too much arrogance and being the boss shown by neighbors Let it be the way it is, no need to beg for games PCB need to grow up and concentrate on your own team and make players who you can market to the world.

On an Aussie green top, yeah, that would be a treat to watch. It should also settle the debate on which side has better pace bowling, not necessary the fastest.

Don't see it happening. But the good thing is that Australia is realizing that Pakistan can also be a money generator and draw crowds. Might just help us getting more tours to Australia in future which we need so we can get better there.

India does not want to play us. We and everyone else need to get over it.

Neither their board nor their cricketers have interest in recognizing or furthering the India/Pakistan rivalry. Their MO has been and will continue to be to treat as a 3rd tier cricketing nation like Zimbabwe or Ireland. And they want to isolate us as much as possible from the rest of the cricketing fraternity.

We have to accept that and move on. Now we make the best of our circumstances. Offer a brand of cricket that people want to play against and watch. Ignore the noise around India. Not let their maneuvering and noise distract us from our own goals.

Don't like these reports, it always gives the impression that the PCB is approaching the BCCI with a begging bowl.

We saw the same thing from England. It's not PCB doing, its Australia & England trying to capitalize on making money by hosting such matches.

But it's pretty clear, unless the current Indian government is kicked out, there's no bi-lateral series happening between India anywhere. ICC & ACC events only.

As expected:

“There is no question of playing Pakistan in any tournament apart from ICC and Asian events. We are not travelling to Pakistan and not playing anywhere else. It’s very simple. Despite the interest it generates, we are not a private body. We are bound by government rules and if it doesn’t allow us to play Pakistan, we cannot,” a senior BCCI official told InsideSport.IN.

That is not true.

The BCCI is an autonomous, private organisation and does not fall under the purview of the National Sports Federation of India. The government of India has minimal regulation of the board

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_Control_for_Cricket_in_India

Knew all the time that is was another fake story. Never mind the financial benefits when there are many more important things going on in this suffering world. The location of the matches makes no difference until the political aspects remain unresolved. Pak Cricket as I have always argued will survive without Indian money but we can not compromise on our political stance. No way.

I am glad it's not happening!:ht

MELBOURNE (Reuters) – The Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC) is looking into the possibility of hosting a test match between India and Pakistan, who have not played each other in the longest format of the game since 2007 with bilateral cricket between the neighbours suspended.

Since India hosted Pakistan in a bilateral limited overs series in 2013 the pair have only competed against each other at 20- and 50-overs World Cups and the Asia Cup.

The last time they met was at the Twenty20 World Cup in October, where more than 90,000 fans piled into the Melbourne Cricket Ground to watch India win a last-ball thriller.

MCC Chief Executive Stuart Fox said the atmosphere at that match showed there would be no problem filling the venue for a test series between the two.

“The atmosphere for that game, I’ve never felt anything like it,” Fox told radio station SEN. “The noise after every ball was phenomenal. Three (tests) in a row would be lovely at the MCG, you’d fill it every time.

“We’ve taken that up with Cricket Australia. I know the (Victoria) government has as well. It’s enormously complicated from what I can understand, amongst a really busy schedule. So I think that’s probably the greater challenge.”

Fox said he hoped Cricket Australia would keep pushing the proposal with the International Cricket Council, the sport’s global governing body.

“When you do see some of the stadiums around the world unoccupied, I think it would be much better to have a full house and that atmosphere and celebrating the game with full houses,” Fox added.

They can't just unilaterally decide to host a test. It obviously requires the agreement of both Pak and India. Bizarre thing to announce in public without having both countries on board.

Pakistan will lose in 3 days & CA will lose profits. What is the point?

Pointless to even think of playing a test match in the current scenario.

I retract this. PAK are playing like minnows at home nowadays. No chance of them even competing in Southern Hemisphere

From media report, PCB official:

“This is no new offer as previously Cricket Australia (CA) has extended such an offer during the England-Pakistan T20 series held prior to the T20 World Cup. At that time the BCCI and the PCB had refused to even consider such an offer"

“The best and practical option for Pakistan and India is to play on home and away basis. We can travel to India to play in the Test series and would like to host India at Pakistani grounds. Such an offer cannot be taken seriously. The BCCI has already rejected the offer. India never play abroad nor do they allow their cricketers to compete in any of the franchise cricket. So, such an offer holds no serious study"

“Pakistan and even India fans are anxiously waiting for the start of such a series. We value our fans and hence playing at home and away basis is the best option. Though Pakistan played such a series against Australia in England and at UAE-Sri Lanka venues, the circumstances were completely different then. Now international cricket is back in Pakistan and there are no plans to take it offshore.”

"No such plans for India and Pakistan Test series in future or in any country, if someone has such a wish, keep it to yourself," a source from the BCCI was quoted by NDTV.

"No such plans for India and Pakistan Test series in future or in any country, if someone has such a wish, keep it to yourself," a source from the BCCI was quoted by NDTV.

We knew this would be the response. I guess I'll never see another Test match between both the countries in my lifetime.

I’m glad I witnessed their last ever test series. Who knew back then in the mid 2000s it was the last one.

In a way I’m glad we won’t play them again in tests for a long time. The team we have right now is utter garbage. Will only lead to humiliation. Would much rather end our test rivalry on a high note which was the decently competitive series in 2007.

The Pakistan Cricket Board says they are open to staging a blockbuster neutral Test against India in Australia amid fears of a World Cup boycott over a scheduling impasse.

PCB chair Najam Sethi has told this masthead Australia would be a contender to host a series between world cricket’s most fierce rivals – if they can get a full house.

Though the initiative was first floated late last year, this is the first time a senior figure from Pakistan or India has put their name to the idea.

Despite the box office appeal of India-Pakistan matches, they rarely clash outside of major tournaments due to the political tensions between the countries. Their last bilateral series in any format was played in 2013, and they have not played a Test against each other since December 2007.

Though the London-based Sethi cast doubt on Australian crowds flocking to see Pakistan and India play, Melbourne showcased its credentials after 90,293 packed into the MCG last October to watch the two sides stage a thrilling group game in the Twenty20 World Cup. There is a strong Indian and Pakistani diaspora in both Melbourne and Sydney.

“Yes, I think bilateral Test matches can be played in Australia, England, South Africa,” Sethi said. “But I think the best bet would be England, and following that Australia. If you can get a house full in any of the Australian stadiums, fine, that would be great.”

Pakistan hosted fixtures in England and the UAE in 2019 when they could not play at home after the 2009 terror attacks in Lahore. Sethi said it would be cheaper to play India in Dubai but said Australia was “on the radar” as an option.

The two boards are in a tense stand-off over where to play matches in the six-nations Asia Cup, to be staged in Pakistan in September, which could have massive ramifications for the World Cup and the Champions Trophy – two of world cricket’s biggest sources of revenue.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India has said it cannot send its national men’s team to Pakistan due to security concerns, despite the Pakistan Cricket Board offer of “VVIP presidential security”.

This has left the Pakistan Cricket Board in a politically sensitive situation as it would then be unable to gain approval from its government to play World Cup games on Indian soil. Australia, England, New Zealand, the West Indies and South Africa have all toured Pakistan without incident since 2021.

Sethi has proposed a hybrid model where Asia Cup matches could be staged in Pakistan and another nation to be voted on by the Asian Cricket Council, led by BCCI secretary Jay Shah – whose father Amit Shah is the Home Affairs Minister in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government.

In return, Sethi wants Pakistan to be able to play their World Cup games outside of India, including knockout matches. The International Cricket Council is yet to publish the World Cup fixture despite the tournament being due to start in less than five months’ time.

“Now if India doesn’t come to Pakistan to play the Asia Cup, my government’s going to say to me, we have the same sort of security concerns in India, so you can’t go to India to play the World Cup,” Sethi said.

“And then following the World Cup, there’s going to be Champions Trophy. And that Champions Trophy is going to be hosted by Pakistan. And then India will turn around and say, ‘all right, we can’t come and play the Champions Trophy in Pakistan’. So, there is no end to this business of not coming to play.

“In order to protect the Champions Trophy and the World Cup, the ICC needs to negotiate with India ... that you must go to Pakistan and play, or working with us for a hybrid model so that the matches are not disrupted, these tournaments are not disrupted.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...-of-pakistan-india-tests-20230517-p5d927.html

Sethi please do not embarrass Pakistan any further. He knows very clearly India does not want to play tests!

Hypocrite BCCI will keep avoiding Pakistan in bilaterals. There is no excuse to not play a bilateral series in UAE, England or Australia. Real cricket fans are the only losers in this political battle. Unfortunately some business minded and hypocrite fans also support BCCI in this. They are surely not real cricket fans. :inti

The Pakistan Cricket Board says they are open to staging a blockbuster neutral Test against India in Australia amid fears of a World Cup boycott over a scheduling impasse.

PCB chair Najam Sethi has told this masthead Australia would be a contender to host a series between world cricket’s most fierce rivals – if they can get a full house.

Though the initiative was first floated late last year, this is the first time a senior figure from Pakistan or India has put their name to the idea.

Despite the box office appeal of India-Pakistan matches, they rarely clash outside of major tournaments due to the political tensions between the countries. Their last bilateral series in any format was played in 2013, and they have not played a Test against each other since December 2007.

Though the London-based Sethi cast doubt on Australian crowds flocking to see Pakistan and India play, Melbourne showcased its credentials after 90,293 packed into the MCG last October to watch the two sides stage a thrilling group game in the Twenty20 World Cup. There is a strong Indian and Pakistani diaspora in both Melbourne and Sydney.

“Yes, I think bilateral Test matches can be played in Australia, England, South Africa,” Sethi said. “But I think the best bet would be England, and following that Australia. If you can get a house full in any of the Australian stadiums, fine, that would be great.”

Pakistan hosted fixtures in England and the UAE in 2019 when they could not play at home after the 2009 terror attacks in Lahore. Sethi said it would be cheaper to play India in Dubai but said Australia was “on the radar” as an option.

The two boards are in a tense stand-off over where to play matches in the six-nations Asia Cup, to be staged in Pakistan in September, which could have massive ramifications for the World Cup and the Champions Trophy – two of world cricket’s biggest sources of revenue.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India has said it cannot send its national men’s team to Pakistan due to security concerns, despite the Pakistan Cricket Board offer of “VVIP presidential security”.

This has left the Pakistan Cricket Board in a politically sensitive situation as it would then be unable to gain approval from its government to play World Cup games on Indian soil. Australia, England, New Zealand, the West Indies and South Africa have all toured Pakistan without incident since 2021.

Sethi has proposed a hybrid model where Asia Cup matches could be staged in Pakistan and another nation to be voted on by the Asian Cricket Council, led by BCCI secretary Jay Shah – whose father Amit Shah is the Home Affairs Minister in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government.

In return, Sethi wants Pakistan to be able to play their World Cup games outside of India, including knockout matches. The International Cricket Council is yet to publish the World Cup fixture despite the tournament being due to start in less than five months’ time.

“Now if India doesn’t come to Pakistan to play the Asia Cup, my government’s going to say to me, we have the same sort of security concerns in India, so you can’t go to India to play the World Cup,” Sethi said.

“And then following the World Cup, there’s going to be Champions Trophy. And that Champions Trophy is going to be hosted by Pakistan. And then India will turn around and say, ‘all right, we can’t come and play the Champions Trophy in Pakistan’. So, there is no end to this business of not coming to play.

“In order to protect the Champions Trophy and the World Cup, the ICC needs to negotiate with India ... that you must go to Pakistan and play, or working with us for a hybrid model so that the matches are not disrupted, these tournaments are not disrupted.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...-of-pakistan-india-tests-20230517-p5d927.html

And once again

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing will happen till there are fresh elections in both the countries. This time next year when both countries have selected fresh governments you may see some development. Till then it is status quo and politicking.

After the anne-do series and CT17 final, the scars will remain for a generation in India.

I wonder if PCB has actually checked to see if these countries would host Pakistan matches, before suggesting them as options?

After the anne-do series and CT17 final, the scars will remain for a generation in India.

1992 Sydney (Ind 1 - Pak 0)
1996 Bangalore (Ind 2 - Pak 0)
1999 Manchester (Ind 3 - Pak 0)
2003 Centurion (Ind 4 - Pak 0)
2007 Durban (Ind 5 - Pak 0)
2007 J'burg (Ind 6 - Pak 0)
2011 Mohali (Ind 7 - Pak 0)
2012 Colombo (Ind 8 - Pak 0)
2013 Edgbaston (Ind 9 - Pak 0)
2014 Dhaka (Ind 10 - Pak 0)
2015 Adelaide (Ind 11 - Pak 0)
2016 Kolkata (Ind 12 - Pak 0)
2019 Manchester (Ind 13 - Pak 0)
2021 Dubai (Ind 13 - Pak 1)
2022 MCG (Ind 14 - Pak 1)

#14-1
#Scars

1992 Sydney (Ind 1 - Pak 0)
1996 Bangalore (Ind 2 - Pak 0)
1999 Manchester (Ind 3 - Pak 0)
2003 Centurion (Ind 4 - Pak 0)
2007 Durban (Ind 5 - Pak 0)
2007 J'burg (Ind 6 - Pak 0)
2011 Mohali (Ind 7 - Pak 0)
2012 Colombo (Ind 8 - Pak 0)
2013 Edgbaston (Ind 9 - Pak 0)
2014 Dhaka (Ind 10 - Pak 0)
2015 Adelaide (Ind 11 - Pak 0)
2016 Kolkata (Ind 12 - Pak 0)
2019 Manchester (Ind 13 - Pak 0)
2021 Dubai (Ind 13 - Pak 1)
2022 MCG (Ind 14 - Pak 1)

#14-1
#Scars

Copy and paste? Clear the froth.

Pigeon holing stats will not cover your scars.

Anne-Do and CT17 were not WC games. India won the 2011 WC and thought they would beat Pakistan in India, walloped, even forbade Tendulkar from playing in the series, I guess BCCI knew of the embrassment that was to be bestowed, then Peak India thinking they would trounce Pakistan in an ICC ODI final, walloped :)

Carry on, cos all that money in the world will not conceal India for what they are - cowards.

:)

The 10 wicket mauling of India by Pakistan in the T20 WC is one for the books too.

I don't blame BCCI, it would be a PR disaster for India when Pakistan thrash India in a Test Series.

Copy and paste? Clear the froth.

Pigeon holing stats will not cover your scars.

Anne-Do and CT17 were not WC games. India won the 2011 WC and thought they would beat Pakistan in India, walloped, even forbade Tendulkar from playing in the series, I guess BCCI knew of the embrassment that was to be bestowed, then Peak India thinking they would trounce Pakistan in an ICC ODI final, walloped :)

Carry on, cos all that money in the world will not conceal India for what they are - cowards.

:)

Bro, those were world cup matches where as Aane-do is a bilateral series. Are you seriously comparing them? :))

Okay here are the stats of bilaterals since resumption in 2003:

2004 ODI series(in Pak) - Ind won
2004 Test series (in Pak) - Ind won
2005 ODI series(in Ind) - Pak won
2005 Test series(in Ind) - Draw
2006 Test series(in Pak)- Pak won
2006 ODI series(in Pak) - Ind won
2007 Test series(in Ind) - Ind won
2007 ODI series(in Ind) - Ind won
2012 T20 series - Draw
2012 ODI- Pak won

Ind 5 - Pak 2

:p

Bro, those were world cup matches where as Aane-do is a bilateral series. Are you seriously comparing them? :))

2012 T20 series - Draw
2012 ODI- Pak won

Ind 5 - Pak 2

More pigeon holing given Pakistan has a better W/L vs India over all.

I wasn't comparing Anne-Do /CT17 with WC - that was you in desperation - I was merely pointing out the humiliation Pakistan bestowed on said matches/series when India were at their peak.

Look, you do not want to see a Pakistan/India series, I get that, you speak for your government, not yourself, and want to avoid further humiliation, this is fine, but stop pretending you do not care, when you really do.

2012 T20 series - Draw
2012 ODI- Pak won

Ind 5 - Pak 2

Lol you're arguing with the flag bearer of the Indophobe kitty party club here on PP. :91:

Forget losing to Australia, England and Newzealand on home soil ....even if Pakistan gets clean swept by Zimbabwe at home , he'll come out and say India are scared to play them. That is the level of delusion and denial we're talking about here. Bettee to have a chuckle at his expense than engage in these "arguments".

Coming to the topic, PCB should seriously stop giving out these one sided statements and make a fool out of themselves time and time again.

There's more likelihood of the moon crashing into the Earth than an India Pakistan bilateral series ....that too in Australia lol.

Think PCB firing a few shots in the air hoping one will stick. The Chairman either receiving bad advice or taking unilateral decisions on what to communicate.

Coming to the topic, PCB should seriously stop giving out these one sided statements and make a fool out of themselves time and time again.

There's more likelihood of the moon crashing into the Earth than an India Pakistan bilateral series ....that too in Australia lol.

Probably the reason the PCB Chairman was saying that India is afraid of losing to Pakistan is because he had a faint hope that BCCI would take the challenge. Such a shame that he doesn't realize that he is dealing with proper businessmen.

2012 T20 series - Draw
2012 ODI- Pak won

Ind 5 - Pak 2

Pakistan has a better W/L record and a superior head-to-head. 2003 is a pretty random cutoff point. The WC streak is broken too and despite all the off-field advantages, India has one more world cup to show for it.

The Aaney Do series was a legendary humiliation. Just think of many storied careers were ended in those days by the likes of Nasir Jamshed, Junaid Khan and the 7-foot giant that supercharged the Indian insecurity complex, lmao.

Whether cricket or hockey, Pakistan has proven itself to be the more talented and athletic nation.

Pakistan has a better W/L record and a superior head-to-head. 2003 is a pretty random cutoff point. The WC streak is broken too and despite all the off-field advantages, India has one more world cup to show for it.

The Aaney Do series was a legendary humiliation. Just think of many storied careers were ended in those days by the likes of Nasir Jamshed, Junaid Khan and the 7-foot giant that supercharged the Indian insecurity complex, lmao.

Whether cricket or hockey, Pakistan has proven itself to be the more talented and athletic nation.

Actually, that is a fairly common cut off point. Twenty years.

Greats from India and Pakistan have backed the push for the MCG to host a blockbuster Test between their nations – but suggest different routes to get there.

The rivalry which Greg Chappell says is “the Ashes by a multiple of 10’’ is on again on Saturday when feuding neighbours India and Pakistan have a rare meeting in the Asian Cup.

The match will stop both nations and become one of the most watched global sports event of the year.

The two teams played a memorable T20 World Cup game before 90,000 fans in October, prompting Victorian cricket officials to approach Cricket Australia about lobbying for a neutral venue Test between nations who have not played each other in a five day game for 15 years.

Pakistan Test legend Wasim Akram believes the MCG would be a perfect neutral venue while India’s Ravi Shastri says he believes the MCG should push to host the World Championship of Cricket finals and, if Pakistan and India made it, it would be an occasion like no other.

Akram said he desperately hopes India and Pakistan do soon resume playing each other in bilateral cricket, because it is one of the regrets of his own career that the two great rivals played so infrequently.

If politics can be put aside, Akram believes the MCG with its 100,000-seat capacity would be the ideal venue to host an India-Pakistan Test.

“The only regret I had when I played cricket is I started playing Test cricket against Sachin (Tendulkar) the great man when he was 16. He made his debut against us in Pakistan. And then we didn’t play a Test series for 10 years,” Akram told this masthead.

“We played one dayers in between in Sharjah or Toronto, but no Test cricket for 10 years. We played the next Test match in 1999. I hope these teams don’t go through this.

“I think the MCG as you saw in the last World Cup would be the perfect venue.

“Pakistan would also be an ideal venue if India wants, but if India wants a neutral venue, then I think Australia would be an ideal place.”

“It’s the whole thing with the MCG. The sheer magnitude of the ground, the spectators, the security, the place itself brings a lot of confidence in you as a player if you play at the G,” Akram said.

Shastri said he felt the first option for a bilateral Test would be on home soil but said if the boards wanted a neutral venue Melbourne would suit.

“India-Pakistan is the mother, father and grandfather of all contests. The G witnessed one of the great contests with 90,000 people there for the recent T20 World Cup when India and Pakistan played and I was commentating on it and it was huge’’ Shastri said

“The fact of the matter is if India and Pakistan play again bilaterally they will play it at home. Let’s make that clear.

“The MCG would be an option if there was no solution and the boards agreed to it. If the MCG ever hosted the World Test Championship and India and Pakistan were in it would just happen and what an occasion that would be … let’s hope it does happen.’’

There appears no chance of India and Pakistan playing each other in a Test until after next year’s elections.

If an India v Pakistan Test were to happen at the MCG would have to be pink ball day night. That would beam the match into India starting at the time of a normal Test match (2pm start here might be something like 9am in India)

The fact India v Pakistan for upcoming World Cup has been scheduled for Modi stadium, Modi’s home ground is potentially a sign of progress. Could be seen as a step forward given Modi government anti Pakistan.

A feast for every cricket fan
=====
Cricket Australia ‘would love to’ host India-Pakistan blockbuster … but not next summer

Cricket Australia will continue courting India and Pakistan to play each other in Australia.

Cricket Australia is pushing ahead with efforts to host a blockbuster clash between India and Pakistan but says there is no room in this summer’s schedule for the subcontinental rivals to play each other in Australia.

India and Pakistan will both be in Australia this November, but CA cricket operations manager Peter Roach said there was no opportunity to schedule a tri-series that would set up a clash between the sides.

Political tensions have prevented the two countries playing bilateral series, restricting contests between them to ICC events such as World Cups and the Champions Trophy.

Roach, speaking as the full international summer schedule was released on Tuesday, was also forced to defend giving away a historical advantage by handing Perth the first Test each summer instead of Brisbane, as revealed by this masthead last week. Perth will host the opening Test in next season’s five-match series against India.

The pivotal change comes with Australia’s women set to have a busy home season at some of Australia’s prime venues, culminating in an Ashes Test at the MCG.

Pakistan will play a white-ball series in Australia this November while India prepare for the first Test against Australia, beginning on November 22.

“We haven’t got a tri-series in the FTP (Future Tours Program),” Roach said. “Going forward, we’re always interested in opportunities for matches and content that will engage our fans.

“It’s fair to say that every country in the world would love to see India and Pakistan competing in their country. We’re on record as saying that we’re one of those countries that have asked the question.

“There’s no room in our schedule to do that at the moment, but we’ll keep talking to them and [consider] any other opportunities that arise. But in this specific example, there is not going to be any change to the schedule.”

Adelaide’s day-night Test will begin on December 6, followed by the third Test in Brisbane from December 14, the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne and the New Year’s Test in Sydney from January 3.

Australia have not lost a Test at the Gabba when it has led off the summer since 1988, against the might of the West Indies at their peak. That’s 31 Brisbane Test matches.

However, of the four Gabba Tests since 1988 which have been played later in the season, Australia have lost two of them. That has come in the past four seasons, going down against India in 2021 and the West Indies in January.

“The clear advice from our national team is that there is a preference to start series strongly at venues where they’re really comfortable, and Perth and Brisbane they believe are somewhat comparable in terms of the advantage they get out of that,” Roach said. “They’re the hardest and bounciest pitches in Australia.

“I also believe that playing a day-night in Adelaide is a significant advantage and the stats there are pretty conclusive too, that that’s a win, so they will look at this schedule and some will say Gabba first would have been better than Perth. Others will say Perth and then Gabba.

“I think that gap has really closed in recent times and the way our players think about that, and having analysed the day-night Test, they’ll be really buoyed about that. So we’re really comfortable that this gives us a great opportunity to compete with a really strong Indian team.”

That 2021 loss to India, which cost Australia the series, also cost them a place in the inaugural World Test Championship final, when outsiders New Zealand beat India. Australia won the second WTC final against India in England last year, but that recent loss to the West Indies could prove costly heading towards next year’s final.

Source: The Age

The Indians are adamant they are not willing to play so that it is the end of it. Doesn't matter if Australia propose it or not.

The day BCCI and the Govt. of India reverses it's stance on playing Pakistan, they will be invited for a series in India.

If we're going to break our long standing taboo, I'd rather Australia or England who're already rich didn't benefit from the massive windfall that'll come from such a series. Let's give it to the likes of New Zealand, South Africa or Sri Lanka who need it and we don't have baggage with. It would be very embarrassing for all the hype to be about India and Pakistan playing in a tri-series after forever and for Australia to win in. The other teams will likely let one of us (most likely India) win it.

Not going to happen anyway.

Bilateral series in neutral venues is something that unfortunately never got explored enough in cricket.

There’s so many fun possibilities that we could have.

Imagine a series of Pakistan vs India in England? Or England vs Australia in subcontinental pitches? I know there’s probably financial reasons this would never happen, but it would introduce so many interesting match ups.

If we're going to break our long standing taboo, I'd rather Australia or England who're already rich didn't benefit from the massive windfall that'll come from such a series. Let's give it to the likes of New Zealand, South Africa or Sri Lanka who need it and we don't have baggage with. It would be very embarrassing for all the hype to be about India and Pakistan playing in a tri-series after forever and for Australia to win in. The other teams will likely let one of us (most likely India) win it.

Not going to happen anyway.
I seriously doubt that such a blockbuster series will be in Aus. The timing stinks for Ind and Pak. SA or Eng do have more friendlier time zones.

But lets not count chickens before they hatch. Do not think this is happening anytime soon.

Bilateral series in neutral venues is something that unfortunately never got explored enough in cricket.

There’s so many fun possibilities that we could have.

Imagine a series of Pakistan vs India in England? Or England vs Australia in subcontinental pitches? I know there’s probably financial reasons this would never happen, but it would introduce so many interesting match ups.
I'm not in favour. Bilateral series except for a couple have become pretty poorly followed already. Why should the teams deprive their own home country fans of the few good series? Without the passion of home fans, we would be risking empty stadiums and lack of energy.

I'm not in favour. Bilateral series except for a couple have become pretty poorly followed already. Why should the teams deprive their own home country fans of the few good series? Without the passion of home fans, we would be risking empty stadiums and lack of energy.
Probably true. But I’m just talking about how enjoyable the cricket would be to watch, not the financial considerations or viewership considerations.

Window is getting shrunk every year. I don't think it will happen. Only way we see is both India and Pakistan making WTC final.

Looks like Cricket Australia is desperate for some Cash. Why else would they be going out of their way to keep pushing for this?

Politics aside, many cricket playing nations find the Pak-India rivalry fascinating. Before the advent of the BJP these clashes in England used to get back page headlines.

Politics aside, many cricket playing nations find the Pak-India rivalry fascinating. Before the advent of the BJP these clashes in England used to get back page headlines.
Error . Before Mumbai attack we were regularly play series with each other

It reminded me of the good old days of the VB series when Pakistan always had the upper hand against India in most of the games they played in Australia.

If India and Pakistan were to play a bilateral series (which would be dependant on the Pakistani military establishment to permanently cease aiding and abetting cross-border t-word and to truly accept Indian regional hegemony), then it’d be better for the comeback series to be held in India and/or Pakistan, rather than other boards taking large cuts of the massive revenue that the series would generate. Of course Australia would be interested in hosting a series involving India and Pakistan haha

Back