England (337/4) defeat India (336/6) by 6 wickets to win 2nd ODI - Series level at 1-1

India should win this. England are missing Root and Morgan, who are critical to their success as a team.

The only difference being that Pant has already changed the course of 3 test matches in his Short career, which most people wont achieve in their entire careers. Give me Pant any day!

A huge difference in technique between Pant and the Pandyas. The latter will fire much more consistently, the former will fail more often than not.

Sam and Topley under bowled while Tom gets a full allotment of 10 overs that go for 82 runs. Not good captaincy from butler....

The only difference being that Pant has already changed the course of 3 test matches in his Short career, which most people wont achieve in their entire careers. Give me Pant any day!

Any decent player will play a match-changing innings every seventh test.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-26 at 3.52.58 PM.jpg

India post 336/6 thanks to Pandya's and Pant's blitzkrieg

Especially when Moeen's bunnies tour for a five-match test series later this year.

Are you confused? This is ODI cricket . Moeen was rightfully thrown out of the World Cup team after which England's campaign got better. The fact that they are selecting Moeen shows their lack if depth.

People don't like India's template of steady start and go aggressive in last 10 overs. And always claim India is 30-40 runs short. But I prefer this approach than going mad from first ball.

I would blame bowlers if they can't defend 330+.

It was only after throwing Moeen out of the team that England began performing well at the world cup and eventually ended up winning it.

If they want to win the T20 WC, they must keep Moeen atleast 500 miles away from their dressing room.

Name me one player from subcontinent who has played two consecutive match defining innings in Australia? How many have won a test match in Australia? He changed the course of 3 tests in a span of 6 tests. You are talking about one every 7 matches 😂😂😂. Pant is already a legend in the making!

Any decent player will play a match-changing innings every seventh test.

People don't like India's template of steady start and go aggressive in last 10 overs. And always claim India is 30-40 runs short. But I prefer this approach than going mad from first ball.

Nobody is asking India to match England's approach at the start. India's current approach is as risky as England's. All India need to do is be a little more inventive in middle order. From over 10 to 30-35, they could score at 6 instead of less than 5 with minimal risk. This is a superior and risk free way of scoring 350 consistently.

Are you confused? This is ODI cricket . Moeen was rightfully thrown out of the World Cup team after which England's campaign got better. The fact that they are selecting Moeen shows their lack if depth.

A batting average of 25 and bowling average of 50 in ODIs. Lord Moeen is treated here like the averages are in reverse. Horrible ODI player.

Nobody is asking India to match England's approach at the start. India's current approach is as risky as England's. All India need to do is be a little more inventive in middle order. From over 10 to 30-35, they could score at 6 instead of less than 5 with minimal risk. This is a superior and risk free way of scoring 350 consistently.

This.

10 to 40 has just 4 fielders outside the ring. A big over once in while is reasonable to expect. Target a weak link and smoke him for 2-3 boundaries. It also forces opp. Captain to bring back main bowlers before death.

Current strategy is here to stay since they found success in these meaningless LOIs. They will only change when it will eventually backfire in a world tourney finals. Then they will kick out Dhawan and change tactics. By the next WC comes, it will be completely another problem and the cycle continues.

India's ODI batting approach is absolutely perfect. They play risk free cricket and yet reach 330+ safely which is a winning score 9 out of 10 times. Not sure why posters are complaining...lol.

It's called belief in Ur methods. U need to stick by what works for team. We saw how england folded after Scoring that quick runs. So only calm and balanced approach works. Of course one should not panic like some here. For ppl like those no approach works LOL

England are the current World Cup champions and India aren't so we can't say their method doesn't work.

Current strategy is here to stay since they found success in these meaningless LOIs. They will only change when it will eventually backfire in a world tourney finals. Then they will kick out Dhawan and change tactics. By the next WC comes, it will be completely another problem and the cycle continues.

Don't think either of Kohli nor Rohit will be at the peak of their powers by the time the next WC arrives. That will be India's biggest problem.

India's ODI batting approach is absolutely perfect. They play risk free cricket and yet reach 330+ safely which is a winning score 9 out of 10 times. Not sure why posters are complaining...lol.

Pune is at least 360 par ground.

They were a little slow today. Last game batting approach was better.

We reached 330 today because middle order exploded completely. When Pant and Pandya both fail, it will become a problem for us

Who was man of the match at Gabba ? Still have not matured enough have you.

That was Pant but that isn't what the other poster asked about. How about you stop doing this to yourself and just watch the match, eh?

Exactly! Much better template especially for Knockout games... We lost CT finals & WC SF probably because of bowlers! In T20s I agree we should change our strategy (and I think they changed it in the 2nd half of last T20 series!)

Teams (like India) should not try to copy England team, but they should counter them by improving the bowling depth & variety!

England should have batted first after winning the toss! This is not T20 to always expect batting shootouts!

India needs a wicket-taking & attacking Spinner against England, else all other areas are almost covered!

From where did Babar come into Ind vs Eng discussion. Can mods clear the thread? [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] :inti

Roy is so bad - bad bowling bully...

Yeah, he's just driven beautifully (a ball in the slot) but unless he can hack/power his way to a score, he's unable to keep it ticking - ball waster.

Yes they just won a world cup (that too through luck!) at home with that template! And that's just about it...

Yeah they won a WC i agree. But it is always one template. And they are just very rigid and stick to it.
Also, they produced some of the most patta wickets in ODIs. A little bit of help/slowness and they just struggle. Will not get the same conditions in every tournament have to show some versatility.

Past doesn't matter about newer grounds. This has settled into the best batting ground of India.

Ind vs Aus 2013 -1st Inngs score 304
Ind vs Eng 2017 - 350
Ind vs NZ 2017 - 230
India vs WI 2018 - 283
India vs Eng 2021 - 317

Not sure what makes you think this stadium has settled to become best batting ground.

Yeah they won a WC i agree. But it is always one template. And they are just very rigid and stick to it.
Also, they produced some of the most patta wickets in ODIs. A little bit of help/slowness and they just struggle. Will not get the same conditions in every tournament have to show some versatility.

That is where the skill of a batsman comes into play (and also bowlers come into picture!) If its just about hitting hard every ball, they can instead move to baseball... And its surprising people supporting this... All teams should prepare sportive pitches when England is invited (even in LOIs) and bamboozle their ideas! Actually this is good for a proper viewer too (balance between bat & ball)

Perfectly said.
We don't need to make many changes in our approach. Just one of the opening batsman should play little fast in power play.
That's enough, our approach is absolutely fine.

Expecting 6 runs per over from overs number10 to 40 is easier said than done. Try to score run when ball is not there and lose wickets? And then expect players like Pant and Pandya to play remaining 30-35 overs.
It's not like India don't want to score 6 runs per over in middle but putting 300+ runs consistently is better than taking unnecessary risk and ending up below 300.
If I am not wrong India is either on top or may be second when it comes to score 300+ runs.

As I said earlier if target of ~325 runs is chased down, I would blame bowlers.

Its more scary when Roy-Bairstow approach the innings cautiously as compared to going hammer and tongs as it means they are prepared to go deep and riskfree.

Bairstow and roy showing why they are best ODI batting pair in last 4 years.

England is much more determined today. No undue risk, clean attacking cricket

India's selfish batting in the middle overs might cost this game. KL Rahul clearly saw this game as consolidating his spot in the side given the competition. Against this rubbish bowling line up anything less than 425 is shameful.

Their template at least won them an ICC trophy. Our senior team hasn't won one in 8 years even with two ICC tournaments played in Asia in that time frame.

Perfectly said.
We don't need to make many changes in our approach. Just one of the opening batsman should play little fast in power play.
That's enough, our approach is absolutely fine.

Yeah, one from top 3 needs to make sure the run rate is around 5.5..

After 30 overs, if we have lost only one or two wickets, then 160 should be the mark we should target because there will be occasions where Pant or Pandya may get a 5(9).

Then you should blame England's bowlers too for letting India get 336. They're a second-string attack just like India's.

I would've if I was an Englishman. Be it first string or second, if any bowler playing for national team, he should be good enough to not let opposition score 330+.

Waiting for the usual narrative to unfold with England’s ODI batting, e.g. a brilliant opening partnership from Roy and Bairstow that tips the odds in England’s favour, before one of them makes a mistake and the remainder of the team innings subsides afterwards.

India around 30 runs short I think especially with dew making things harder . Cant expect what happened last match to happen again and again.

Their template at least won them an ICC trophy. Our senior team hasn't won one in 8 years even with two ICC tournaments played in Asia in that time frame.

This template or that template, no team can win world cup if top 4 batsman fails in knockouts. So giving whole credit to template is a bit unfair.

Be it first string or second, if any bowler playing for national team, he should be good enough to not let opposition score 330+.

That's just nonsense. Poorer bowling attacks vs strong batting attacks and more helpful batting wickets will tilt the favour towards the batting team to be able to score 330+. 330 isn't an unachievable score.

Recently we have been winning all the series where we have lost the first match but we won the first match of this series. :inti

India should win this. England are missing Root and Morgan, who are critical to their success as a team.

Root has been dropped from the team. He has not been critical to England's success.

India, on the other hand is missing Bumrah, Shami, and Jadeja. But good that India is trying new players even against a top team. That's why the big 3 teams are so strong. Some teams play their best XI even against Zimbabwe. E.g., Yasir was sulking recently on missing out on the Zimbabwe gravy train. Mark of mediocrity.

Garbage will be garbage.
Who was that guy who said that he will bowl Shardul instead of Bumrah if opposition needs 8 runs in the last over. :inti

May be he wanted to say that he will prefer Shardul because he will finish the match in 2 balls. :misbah

India getting proper pasting... Openers bided their time and now they are playing superbly. This time they will win by 45th over.

Who was that guy who said that he will bowl Shardul instead of Bumrah if opposition needs 8 runs in the last over. :inti

May be he wanted to say that he will prefer Shardul because he will finish the match in 2 balls. :misbah
That was bala977.

That was something next level stuff from that guy!

Stick to this game and India England - no need to discuss Pakistan or its players.

You can't fault England's template for India's top order choking.

So you are blaming India's template for India's top order choking.

Doesn't matter if India play using England's template, we still won't win a WC if top order choks again.

It has already backfired in ICC Champions Trophy and ICC WC Semi. The top 3 has been a failure when it counts.

So you are blaming India's template for India's top order choking.

So can you guarantee that if they didn't choke that India would win the tournament? Do you call our loss to West Indies in the 2016 T20 World Cup semifinals against West Indies a top order choke too?

Back