England v Pakistan | 1st T20I | Nottingham | 16th July, 2021 | Pakistan innings

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
With a 3-0 ODI series defeat on the back against England, Pakistan eye a change in fortune with a change in format in the upcoming three-match T20I series.

Overview:

England v Pakistan, 1st T20I

Trent Bridge, Nottingham

16 July, 18:30 local

Pakistan batting arrived late in the ODI series. Led by Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan, they posted a competitive 331/9. They would have done even better if not for a late collapse that left them at least 20 runs short on a good batting wicket. The biggest challenge for them on the tour, however, has been their bowling and fielding, which has struggled to make a mark.

England, on the other hand, will see the return of Eoin Morgan as the captain alongside eight other members after completing the required duration of self-isolation following the Sri Lanka series. With the likes of Jason Roy, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, and Jos Buttler coming back, the England side looks well-balanced and strong.

Remember the last time:

In the last five T20I games, both sides have given each other tough competition with a split verdict of 2-2 with one match yielding no result. In the last encounter, Pakistan emerged triumphant by the barest of margins.

Pakistan posted 190, thanks to Mohammad Hafeez’s 52-ball 86 and Haider Ali’s half-century. The game then went down the wire with Moeen Ali firing away to a 33-ball 61 but a late collapse in the chase meant Pakistan got away with a five-run win.

What they said:

Babar Azam (Pakistan captain): “In the international level when you play against topsides, the margin of error is negligible. When you lack in one or two departments, you have to improve those and I believe bad days will come but the effort will remain to bounce back in the upcoming T20 series.”

Misbah-ul-Haq (Pakistan Head Coach): “I don’t think you can defend such a performance. It was a poor and disappointing performance. In the first two matches, we couldn’t adapt to the conditions and in the final, we should have defended that total. Throughout the series, our fielding has been poor.”

Full Squads:

England : Jason Roy, Jos Buttler(w), Dawid Malan, Jonny Bairstow, Eoin Morgan(c), Moeen Ali, David Willey, Lewis Gregory, Saqib Mahmood, Adil Rashid, Chris Jordan, Jake Ball, Tom Curran, Liam Livingstone, Matthew Parkinson, Tom Banton

Pakistan : Mohammad Rizwan(w), Sharjeel Khan, Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Hafeez, Sohaib Maqsood, Azam Khan, Imad Wasim, Faheem Ashraf, Hassan Ali [Ruled out of 1st T20I], Haris Rauf, Shaheen Afridi, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Mohammad Nawaz, Usman Qadir, Shadab Khan, Arshad Iqbal, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Wasim Jr, Fakhar Zaman

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it.

Last edited:
Rude awakening coming up for those who thought we only lost because this was England’s C team and we would’ve beaten their A team, or that we just had one bad series, or that we’re much better in T20s than ODIs.

Jason Roy vs Haris Rauf will be like a Shark facing off against an injured Goldfish. It won’t be pretty.

If we bat first and don’t get 190, we automatically lose. If we bowl first and don’t restrict them to 170, we automatically lose.

Please note that Hassan Ali not playing in 1st T20I due to a strain in the left leg.

If we bat first and don’t get 190, we automatically lose. If we bowl first and don’t restrict them to 170, we automatically lose.

Even if Pak does score 190+ or restrict them to below 170, there is still not much guarantee for a win but yes that automatic part is valid. :smith

Will need to do well in all the facets of the game to win.

Last edited:
Even if Pak does score 190+ or restrict them to below 170, there is still not much guarantee for a win. :smith

Will need to do well in all the facets of the game to win.

Oh I never said there is. I meant to even have a chance of winning.

Please note that Hassan Ali not playing in 1st T20I due to a strain in the left leg.

Unbelievable, this means that every chance of Faheem being dropped has been diminished.

Expect another 1-32 with ball and < 11 with bat.

Unbelievable, this means that every chance of Faheem being dropped has been diminished.

I ain’t a fan of Faheem but 1-32 against this batting attack of England I think we will accept. Less said about his batting the better however.

You really think Faheem is gonna have figures of 1-32 against this batting lineup?

Look at the comments in this thread so far lol. It seems Pakistan has already lost the match when it hasn't even started. Not even a hint of confidence among the fans anymore.

Look at the comments in this thread so far lol. It seems Pakistan has already lost the match when it hasn't even started. Not even a hint of confidence among the fans anymore.

What do you expect when our team has just been whitewashed by the England C team. When you have mediocre, lazy players being led by an incompetent coach who encourages a timid, overly defensive brand of cricket that is stuck in the past. And now our team is up against the most aggressive, hard hitting team in world cricket. The fans will regain confidence when we start beating top teams in limited overs cricket again.

Good. I mean it is a shame but Misbah is too frightened to make changes unless absolutely forced.

Arshad or Wasim Jnr need to play as the 3rd seamer role remains wide open. We aren't going to fill it by letting the same 3 fast bowlers play literally every game, which has been Misbah's odd strategy up until now.

We are not a bad T20 side as many of you are making out to be. England is also not as great a T20 team as they're in one dayers. I expect a quality encounter between the sides and we actually have a very good chance to win the match and series.

3-0 to England. There are some awful players in our lineup
enjoying a free ride and 'trying to gain rhythm and form' for eternity now

I would like to see this playing eleven

Mohammad Rizwan
Babar Azam
Sohaib Maqsood
Fakhar Zaman
Mohammad Hafeez
Azam Khan
Imaad wasim
Mohammad Wasim
Mohammad Hasnain
Usman Qadir
Shaheen Afridi

Please note..

I don't want Hafeez, Azam Khan in the playing eleven...but the squad selected by CS Mohd Wasim has so much depth that one is even not able to choose playing eleven...

There was so much celebrations amongst some supporters when Mohammad Wasim was made chief selector of Pakistan team...but time has proved that he is worse than his predecessors..

Last edited by a moderator:
E6bOUAqWEAIoPZ9

Weather looks good

Big decisions coming up in this series.

Has Faheem had enough chances to prove that he is incapable?

Is our middle order really solid without Malik?

Is our bowling good enough for the world's best, or do we need more experience?

Is Shadab Khan good enough to hold that spin-bowling frontier?

Is our opening combination Babar + Rizwan, or will Babar drop down to 3 and support a shaky middle order?

Is Fakhar Zaman in the mix, or has he had enough opportunities?

Is Azam Khan a genuine solution to our middle-order woes?

Is Imad Wasim going to be a part of the team ahead of Nawaz?

Why are we even playing this match?

Look at England squad, I don't see any pak bowler getting wickets of Roy, Bairstow, Morgan and Buttler.

Just give series win to England.

Is our opening combination Babar + Rizwan, or will Babar drop down to 3 and support a shaky middle order?

Why are some of these even questions anymore?

Not sure how we’ll do with Hasan missing. All the other bowlers have been rubbish on this tour.

It only reflects the lack of confidence in the team itself. I fully expect us to waste the power play overs while we try to see the new ball off as if it was a test match.

Our broken eleven is playing the top ranked elite team in T20 cricket, with their batting at full strength. These jokers would do well to save their careers this series.

... Find out in the next episode of DragonBall Z!

We pumped them here in the WC, I think we can do it again.

As much as I want Pakistan to lose so Misbah gets sacked, I’ve come to the realisation that he ain’t going anywhere until his contract has ended, so may as well support the men in green

England have won the toss and opted to bowl first in the first T20I against Pakistan

Azam Khan is debuting

c1.JPGCapture.JPG

Last edited:
Jeeez. Even 200 might not be enough when Shadab, Haris Rauf, and Hasnain make up part of your bowling attack.

So happy finally Fake Faheem isn't there. Imad is better option any day over him even if it's full seaming pitch

Jeeez. Even 200 might not be enough when Shadab, Haris Rauf, and Hasnain make up part of your bowling attack.

We won't score 200. England know fine well if we bat first we will aim for a safety first approach and will think 170 is a respectable score. It won't be a winning score, but Pakistan's aim will be not to get hammered first, anything above that will be a bonus.

Very very weak bowling attack. No big wicket takers and can’t stop leaking runs as well. No idea at all that why we keep pursuing with Haris and hasnain. Both Arshad and Waseem jnr I believe can contain better than Rauf and hasnain

Just like Misbah who never came to bat #4 or above (in fear of getting out early on); Babar and Rizwan putting themselves first

These players know they can't accelerate in tough situations ; so the both bat early to make sure their places are never questioned

Babar opening the batting with a pathetic runner in Rizwan

So begins the chapter of Azam Khan is what is a glorious book of PSL flops at the international stage. The fitness issue is just the icing on the cake.

Is it just Willey's slow pace and full length that is generating swing or had the kookaburra gotten better?

Silly mistake to not have a fine leg for Rizwan's hack

Willey getting good swing but his line is all over the place

This actually looks like a solid batting lineup. Apart from Babar and Rizwan there are no accumulators in the team. Will be a good game

Babar looks to be getting even better in white-ball cricket with each passing day. As it should be I guess as he is entering his peak.

Back