England vs Australia | 4th Ashes Test | Chester-le-Street | 09/8/13 | Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ims1

First Class Captain
Runs
from tms : Team selection could be interesting today. Australia could hand a first Ashes chance to paceman Jackson Bird, given that perpetually-on-the-verge-of-breaking-down-with-injury Ryan Harris has only appeared in three successive Tests once in his career. Meanwhile, if ever there were a "horses for courses" selection option for England, there's an honest, hard-running thoroughbred called Graham Onions who would be a popular selection on his home ground if they choose to tinker with their seam attack.

the BBC weather forecast for Chester-le-Street :looks cloudy but generally clear.

I think win toss & bat first pitch . Draw or result folks ?

The bowlers should enjoy the conditions in durham, Aussies batting could be once again exposed in this test match.

Just woke up to check the team. Is Bird in or Rhino?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bird for Starc is the rumour.

Poor Starc, dropped twice now in this series.

Hear that Watto claims he is willing to bat anywhere in the order after spending over a year whinging about not opening and blaming all his poor batting on Clarke not letting him open.

Mark his books already selectors.

Anderson might not be playing which is odd.

I would have given him a chance to get another ten for on this ground to go with the first test.

Sam Sheringham, BBC Sport at Chester-le-Street
"The clouds are parting, but there's a strong breeze blowing across the Riverside as the teams run through their pre-match rituals one hour out from the start of play. From my vantage point a third man, I can see a few green tinges on the wicket, suggesting there may be a fair bit of juice in this pitch for seamers of both sides. Team news rumours? Onions for Anderson is the strongest whisper. England are warming up about 100 yards away from here, but there's no obvious sign of Jimmy at the moment."

Anderson has entered the red zone according to Vaughan. That is the time when you have bowled so many overs you are likely to get injured.

Jonathan Agnew, BBC Test Match Special
"England are unchanged, which is disappointing for Graham Onions. We think Jackson Bird is playing for Australia, probably in place of Mitchell Starc."

Hear that Watto claims he is willing to bat anywhere in the order after spending over a year whinging about not opening and blaming all his poor batting on Clarke not letting him open.

Mark his books already selectors.

I don't know why Henriques was dropped,had a decent series in India.would have been better than Watson

England have won the toss and will bat, Alastair Cook says the wicket looks dry and the sun is now peeking out. The team is unchanged & Aus play Bird for Starc .

Draw or result ? Place your bets please :)

England win the toss,expect another one sided contest

from Cricinfo

Pitch and conditions
The surface unveiled for the fourth Test maintains a pattern of dry, hard pitches prepared more or less to the specifications of the England coach Andy Flower. The forecast for Durham is for the occasional shower amid periods of friendly, if cloudy, weather.

thank god its not subcontinent,would have created a furore

The pitch has moving cracks which means you will get uneven bounce on days 4 and 5.

Good to see Bird playing. Also Harris has been persisted with, which is a good decision imo as he is the kind of bloke who may get injured even when not playing, so make the most of him when he can walk.

Starc dropped! Lets just hope that Harris is able to last the 5 days..

Lets see if Aus can carry the momentum here

England batting :facepalm: Someone wake me up when this torture ends...

Last edited:
Another game, another designer pitch.

In another thread, there was a bit of denail about it. But come on Durham...dry, hard pitch.

Obviously thats the norm for those who still want to put their heads in the sand.

Atherton has alluded to it in his articles for The Times, and Ricky Ponting pretty much said it in his article for the Daily Mail this week.

When India had turning pitches (God forbid), then there was all sorts of complaining. Bit quiet now.

When India had turning pitches (God forbid), then there was all sorts of complaining. Bit quiet now.
Australia don't whinge much they subtly mention it here and there but there no England or India who tend to go on and on.

Australia don't whinge much they subtly mention it here and there but there no England or India who tend to go on and on.

I don't expect Australia to whinge.

Its just the English media, and the fans to be honest. Why make such a hue and cry about it in India, and then just pretend it isn't happening/ignore it here.

And on the India point, for the life of me, I could not understand the complaints.

Its India. The pitches will turn. They are slow and low. That is what they got. What did they expect?

Pretty slow but solid start from england 8/0 currently...

Try again.

Hes a Pakistani under a different flag. Does it to troll the Indians. Made it too obvious though.

Seems like it's a case for Sherlock Holmes :asif

I thought he was a Sikh who was born and raised in Kiwi Land

Hmmm :ahmed

The True identity of Kiwi seems more interesting than how these English :boycott boys are batting

Kiwi and I are actually the same person.

I thought the ball would move around. Barely any have done anything threatening.

It must be a bad batch of balls.

Remember when Pakistan and England played in England a few years ago and the ball was swinging miles and miles and miles? I'd love a batch of balls like those :D

First boundary of the day. Remember folks, England are winning, not losing, the series. So they can afford to digin Geoffrey Boycott style.

I thought the ball would move around. Barely any have done anything threatening.

It must be a bad batch of balls.

Remember when Pakistan and England played in England a few years ago and the ball was swinging miles and miles and miles? I'd love a batch of balls like those :D

pitch is dry too,as England wanted(ordered)

In 20 innings this season in first class cricket at Durham, 300+ has been scored only twice.

First boundary of the day. Remember folks, England are winning, not losing, the series. So they can afford to digin Geoffrey Boycott style.

Ah the English and their low self esteem.....

Good to see Bird get a run. Lets see how this goes, first hours been quiet.

This match is boring me, England must have one of the most boring top orders in cricket, along with Pakistan.

The most attractive batting pair in the world on show here. My insomnia has been cured. What about others?

No need to generalise RA. :45:

This is a careful start versus good bowling on a cloudy day. England want to win the series 4-0.
I think you're forgetting this a 5 dayer not one of those old timeless tests...

No need to generalise RA. :45:

This is a careful start versus good bowling on a cloudy day. England want to win the series 4-0.

Dont spoil the enjoyment I am having picking on your hyperbolic countryman.

We arent winning so have to keep myself amused. Why isnt the Great Peter Siddle bowling? Hes only our leading wicket taker, this must be one of Clarke captaincy brillant moment I never quite understand. Or maybe he is injured already.

They should allow a review of the review but reverse the onus on the umpire. We could get a good half an hour of bulldust every time there is an appeal.

Lol, Root is so non confident in DRS that he is willing to not walk

Should also say that Root is quite decent for a female cricketer. Kudos to England for being progressive.

Trott coming in at this stage has to be mentioned in that thread of awkward moments.

Great result for DRS!

In a match involving India that would have been given Not Out.

Looks like the silicon tapes have been removed off the bats during this match?:yk

Lets see if James Anderson can continue the process of lowering his average this match

I think you're forgetting this a 5 dayer not one of those old timeless tests...

Sure, we will need all five days to win, not the three needed against Hobbits.

Bowling has been tight, but would like one or two more wickets. This is going to be nice for batting later on today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back