Hypothetical Test draft - 10 participants to pick their teams [Completed]

Sorry, didn't realize Imran was taken.

I'll pick Ricky Ponting.

[MENTION=151884]Kaddy[/MENTION] you're up

Surprised it took this long! After Lara and Tendulkar were gone in the first two picks, I expected people to jump on Ponting very quickly.

[MENTION=132969]Da_Future_Knick[/MENTION] [MENTION=65183]freelance_cricketer[/MENTION] be ready with your picks (and don’t forget to check the thread frequently!)

Man.... This thread has broken my heart. :jordan
Its only my second turn and all the players i wanted in my team, have already been picked.
Anyway my second pick is.....
Malcolm Denzil Marshall

Man.... This thread has broken my heart. :jordan
Its only my second turn and all the players i wanted in my team, have already been picked.
Anyway my second pick is.....
Malcolm Denzil Marshall

Brother you returned the favor with this pick. I hope you guys can understand why I’m so anxious on this thread, we haven’t even reached round 3 of the 11 picks yet

[MENTION=151648]therealAB[/MENTION]

your turn mate

For my pick I will be picking Sri Lanka's greatest batsman, and my keeper, Kumar Sangakarra

Bhaijaan XI is immensely proud to welcome the legendary English hero and batting icon, the one and only Sir Jack Hobbs to their team as their 2nd draft pick

jack_hobbs.jpg

1. Jack Hobbs
4. Viv Richards

No worries, I’ll go for Curtly Ambrose. [MENTION=142013]ahmadharis1[/MENTION] you’re up

Can we make this draft bit more interesting by adding a mid draft trade option?

Like for example, i would still love to have Tendulkar :srt

We can vote to agree on that, but all trades should occur after the draft, otherwise it could slow it down too much

haha well done [MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION] I think Sobers is the best batsmen, not considering bowling, since Bradman so ...

The voting will reveal all. Everyone keen on doing a writeup on their completed teams before voting?

The voting will reveal all. Everyone keen on doing a writeup on their completed teams before voting?

Just out of curiosity, are you a member of another cricket forum? It’s just that I’ve seen someone use your username in reference to Allan Border.

Lara was inconsistent, and capable of great innings. Sobers averaged 70 for a decade and played many innings considered the finest spectacles of batting ever seen

Just out of curiosity, are you a member of another cricket forum? It’s just that I’ve seen someone use your username in reference to Allan Border.

Pakpassion is the only forum I contribute to but I do spectate on another forum, and I agree with the views put forward by some specific posters. Does that clear up everything :)

Lara was inconsistent, and capable of great innings. Sobers averaged 70 for a decade and played many innings considered the finest spectacles of batting ever seen

The way I see things, in our hypothetical draft, Lara and Sobers aren’t going to be batting to ordinary attacks (much less those of the 60s). Lara’s slightly relative inconsistency pales in comparison to Akram mentioning him as the hardest batsman to bowl to.

That being said, you should know that Sir Garfield Sobers was my second pick :)))

Definitely a great batsmen. The attacks of the 00's weren't any better than the attacks of the 60's though

The way I see things, in our hypothetical draft, Lara and Sobers aren’t going to be batting to ordinary attacks (much less those of the 60s). Lara’s slightly relative inconsistency pales in comparison to Akram mentioning him as the hardest batsman to bowl to.

That being said, you should know that Sir Garfield Sobers was my second pick :)))

Wasim Akram.also later mentioned Martin Crowe as toughest batsman he bowled to.

And when he is sitting next to Viv Richards he calls Viv the best

And when he is in India or Star, Sachin is never second to anyone for him.

I think peer review matters in sports but it isn't everything. Players are also guman and have bias besides players don't see the game as we do. They don't even know more about their own career as much as some of us fans do actually

Last edited:
agreed, hence why I prefer to go by statistics and performances all over the world. Imran rated Inzamam the best vs pace, yet Inzamam was shocking in Aus, Sa

To be fair, Imran says half those things to motivate his youngsters. His relentless backing (even if it doesn’t make sense) is why he’s respected as a captain so much.

Regardless, I’m excited to see how these teams shape up :afridi

yep looking forward to getting towards the tail end of the draft and more unheralded picks

[MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION], have you been getting my DM's. Are only mods allowed to send them or something?

[MENTION=151892]Thunderbolt14[/MENTION], have you been getting my DM's. Are only mods allowed to send them or something?

Yep I think DM’s are disabled aside from mods. Haven’t been getting anything. Sab khairiat bro?

yep, just wondering about future draft ideas e.g. limiting players from each decade/country

yep, just wondering about future draft ideas e.g. limiting players from each decade/country

I like that idea. Maybe something like limiting to subcontinent teams, or limiting to just players from modern day/the 2010s (so basically it would be similar to a modern T20 franchise league draft, but for tests)

yep all good ideas. I was thinking that a drafter must pick 1 maximum from any decade

something would have to be done about the war affected decades, maybe combining them?

I get 2 picks now correct?

In that case, I will select...

Steve Smith

and

Virat Kohli

Making my team so far....

3. Virat Kohli
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Steve Smith

very few players debuted in the 40's. Maybe allow 2 picks from one decade.

This will take the fun out of it. Most players will fit into two different decades anyways (pick Tendulkar as your 10s pick, for example to save an extra 00s slot). And I won’t be surprised if the current draft also has roughly 2-3 players per decade. So it won’t be so different. One idea to fix this is that if you pick a player from a certain decade, you are also picking his form in that decade. That way we can do 2 picks per decade, but it becomes a little harder when you factor in form.

Steve Smith

and

Virat Kohli

3. Virat Kohli
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Steve Smith

You beauty! I will easily pick Dale Steyn for his excellence across all conditions including the subcontinent, his seductive outswingers, rattling pace, complete dominance, and ascendance to GOAT tier test bowler in a batting dominated era (including against GOAT India in India). Welcome, Steyn Gun, to the Thunderstorm XI.

[MENTION=134789]maddgenius[/MENTION] your turn mate

After this I will pick. Please don't take the guy I have in mind.

Steve Smith

and

Virat Kohli

3. Virat Kohli
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Steve Smith

Congratulations on successfully putting Tendulkar and Kohli together

I think Smith at 3, Kohli at 5 would make more sense unless you're not too confident on defensive abilities of your top 3.

Kohli is a trail blazer like Tendulkar. They can set the stage in fire at 4-5 together..

As a fan seeing Smith coming to bat after Kohli, Tendulkar is kind of boring,.many people wouod leave the stadium :yk

I didn't. Kia yaad karo gae bhaijaan

I swear you absolutely and 100% picked the guy i was going to pick and I was shocked no one picked him already. He should have been a Top 10 pick.

Damn I need some time now lol

I swear you absolutely and 100% picked the guy i was going to pick and I was shocked no one picked him already. He should have been a Top 10 pick.

Was close between him and Steyn for me. I went with Steyn because Lillee never performed in Asia, and is rated a lot more due to his status as the “godfather of fast bowling” than his skills which came mostly at home or in England. He was a novelty at the time for his aggression and never-back-down attitude, and as much respect as I have for him, he has been surpassed by some of the cricketers he inspired

Congratulations on successfully putting Tendulkar and Kohli together

I think Smith at 3, Kohli at 5 would make more sense unless you're not too confident on defensive abilities of your top 3.

Kohli is a trail blazer like Tendulkar. They can set the stage in fire at 4-5 together..

As a fan seeing Smith coming to bat after Kohli, Tendulkar is kind of boring,.many people wouod leave the stadium :yk

Good idea, it's not final yet but I might make that change.

Admittedly I've gone bat-heavy with my first pick, but I believe I'll have one of the best batting lineups in the draft

F6qZ.gif

It is time for Bhaijaan XI to fill a very important position in their line-up and that is the leader of their pace attack.

..and we are extremely happy and proud to officially welcome our favorite, the legendary pace demon of the 1990s, The White Lightening - ALLAN DONALD :2ar15smil

His bowling was a sight no cricket fan of the 1990s can forget.

Allan Donald was embodiment of the highest quality of pace bowling.

A supreme athlete who was devastatingly quick at his peak.

An elite level skill set, an astute mind, sheer determination and heart to represent his country meant he was also one of the few foreign fast bowling superstars to have excelled in the mentally and physically exhausting conditions of the subcontinent.

Indian cricket fans who watched young Allan Donald bowl in the early 1990s in India can never put another fast bowler ahead of him during their time until the coming years surprisingly produce a better one.

Welcome, Sir.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

1. Jack Hobbs
4. Viv Richards
11. Allan Donald

Was close between him and Steyn for me. I went with Steyn because Lillee never performed in Asia, and is rated a lot more due to his status as the “godfather of fast bowling” than his skills which came mostly at home or in England. He was a novelty at the time for his aggression and never-back-down attitude, and as much respect as I have for him, he has been surpassed by some of the cricketers he inspired

I had Lillee at 1 and Donald at 2 for my first fast bowler pick

In a different thread I had already put Donald at 1 and Lillee, Wasim as my 3 greatest fast bowlers so I am not disappointed at all. I was able to pick one of of my top 3

there has been a recent tun on fast bowlers, so I decide to continue the trend by selecting my spearhead, Yorkshire's finest Fred Trueman

Third pick is........
AB de Villiers
He will play as a wicket keeper batsman.

[MENTION=135989]world cup captain[/MENTION]'s pick is Courtney Walsh.

Your turn [MENTION=152035]Bezli[/MENTION].

Back