India (111/3) defeat USA (110/8) comfortably by 7 wickets to make their way into ICC T20 World Cup 2024 Super 8 stage

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The 25th game of the current T20 World Cup 2024 is set to feature a clash between Team India, led by Rohit Sharma, and Team USA, captained by Monank Patel, on Wednesday, June 12.

This significant encounter, scheduled to be held at the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in New York, comes as both teams maintain an unbeaten record in the 2024 World Cup, boasting two victories each, including one against Pakistan.

of0xysq.png

Squad:

India:
Rohit Sharma (c), Hardik Pandya, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant, Sanju Samson, Shivam Dube, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Arshdeep Singh, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Siraj

United States: Monank Patel (c), Aaron Jones, Andries Gous, Corey Anderson, Ali Khan, Harmeet Singh, Jessy Singh, Milind Kumar, Nisarg Patel, Nitish Kumar, Noshtush Kenjige, Saurabh Nethralvakar, Shadley Van Schalkwyk, Steven Taylor, Shayan Jahangir.

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

India will win this. Sa, Aus and India will go unbeaten in group stages. They'll qualify with 7 points if washouts happen or 8 points.

Super 8's is where things get spicy

It's going to be embarrassing when Team India lose to this bunch of python coders who play cricket in their free time.

India will win this. Sa, Aus and India will go unbeaten in group stages. They'll qualify with 7 points if washouts happen or 8 points.

Super 8's is where things get spicy
India likely to play super 8 game against Australia, Afghanistan and Bangladesh/ Netherlands .
So semifinals most likely against Westindies or South Africa ( If they reach)

India likely to play super 8 game against Australia, Afghanistan and Bangladesh/ Netherlands .
So semifinals most likely against Westindies or South Africa ( If they reach)
Tbf I see Afghanistan pulling an upset against them this time around.

Don't get wrong, I expect India to win 80%. However an upset would not suprise me.

What would suprise me however is if SA actually manage to win this cup. They have the team, temperament, and the skills. They gotta hold their nerve though

Don't get wrong, I expect India to win 80%. However an upset would not suprise me.

What would suprise me however is if SA actually manage to win this cup. They have the team, temperament, and the skills. They gotta hold their nerve though
Yes Afghanistan bowling and batting is improve a lots now. earlier they had only quality spinner's but now they have good Pacers too.

Batting is also improved by a country miles ,they are not here to just fill the gap but to win the Cup.

Yes Afghanistan bowling and batting is improve a lots now. earlier they had only quality spinner's but now they have good Pacers too.

Batting is also improved by a country miles ,they are not here to just fill the gap but to win the Cup.
No one believed me when I called them the dark horse of the tournament. I even said I'm going on a limb here and expecting them to reach semi's.

I've seem these boys. 2023 world cup marked a classic shift in their mentality. Gone were the days in which they are only a spin unit.

I saw them lose their chocking tag, what was once a scared team under pressure is now a proper mid card team with good pacers, good batters and a world class spin unit that mentally looks you dead in the eye and doesn't back down.

Their not playing with the mentality of, we are Afghanistan we ain't making it, basically just hope we get to super 8's to save our izzat, their playing with the mentality of we are winning, This is my yard now.

And frankly they fully deserve it. Afghanistan and USA both for how they've played and conducted themselves professionally

No one believed me when I called them the dark horse of the tournament. I even said I'm going on a limb here and expecting them to reach semi's.

I've seem these boys. 2023 world cup marked a classic shift in their mentality. Gone were the days in which they are only a spin unit.

I saw them lose their chocking tag, what was once a scared team under pressure is now a proper mid card team with good pacers, good batters and a world class spin unit that mentally looks you dead in the eye and doesn't back down.

Their not playing with the mentality of, we are Afghanistan we ain't making it, basically just hope we get to super 8's to save our izzat, their playing with the mentality of we are winning, This is my yard now.

And frankly they fully deserve it. Afghanistan and USA both for how they've played and conducted themselves professionally
Afghanistan beat England, Pakistan almost destroyed Australia. One simple error put them on the other side. When they can do that in longer version no surprise they can do this in this version that too in suitable conditions.

Afghanistan has been close to defeating us a few times now, they were a bit unlucky to always choke on the end.

Eventually they will cross the line

Jaiswal should be back now. Enough with the Kohli as opener nonsense.

Really hope they niggle out the useless Dube and bring Rinku in. Show the door to Jadeja once and for all and play an extra batter. Give some match practice to Samson and probably try to "rest" Pant for one game. If he looks in good rhythm,. immediately pull SKY out of the XI.

Jaiswal
Rohit
Kohli
Samson
SKY
Hardik
Axar
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Siraj
Arshdeep

I don't mind USA winning this game but if India lost PP full of conspiracy theory :p

Should be an easy win for India.

I legit don't remember the last time we lost to a team outside of the top 9. Even fairly decent teams like Afghanistan, Ireland, Zimbabwe etc haven't beaten us in a single game in the last decade.

Last i remember is probably Zimbabwe in 2015 in a bilateral T20 series where Dhoni lead a team full of rookies.

Pakistan will be cheering for the Indian team for this game for obvious reasons. I am 99% sure that India is going to beat USA but still, you should expect a lot of Pakistani supporter there supporting India.

Aaron Jones (USA Vice-Captain) pre-match Press-Conference - 11th June 2024

[Reporter:]

After a victory over Pakistan, playing against India made up of superstars, does it come in the way, in your thinking or just go and challenge them in all the way?

[Aaron Jones:]

No, not really. I think we're going to treat it like a normal game. Obviously, we know India is a good team, but we've beaten good teams before. I think, obviously we know that India is a good team, but we are going to treat it like any normal game to be honest - we don't want to play names or teams or anything like that. We've beaten good teams in the past. So definitely going to go hard tomorrow against India

Just checking, have you guys made any special plans or strategies? Have you guys been talking to each other? How are you guys going to handle the base bowling attack of India which came out really good against Pakistan?

Yeah, I mean, we always plan before every game to be honest. We have our team meetings and stuff; we have our plans as a team. The coach obviously have his ideas and stuff about how to play against all the different teams that we're going to play against. So, yeah, it's going to be the same thing against India. We have our team meetings and stuff, and we'll come up with the best plan possible.

Aaron, in the World Cup opener at Grand Prix in Dallas, you smacked 10 sixes in that innings that propelled a magnificent win for the U.S.

What is it about Aaron Jones that you suddenly shot yourself in top gear in that particular match. And how is that going to play on your mind moving forward as the tournament continues?

For me personally, I think I'm very big on going through my processes and I really actually play every game according to the situation. I think the game against Canada, some batsmen on our team needed to bat aggressive and I just raised my hand and said, okay, I'll do it for the team. As it relates to going forward, that's the past right now. I just want to keep winning games for my team and do the best possible for my team and help us to go through for sure.

After winning two brilliant matches, do you expect that there will be a bigger crowd to support USA team tomorrow?

Yes, I think so. After, obviously, we started really well in the World Cup, winning the first two games and obviously beating Pakistan being a big win. So, I think now we are ready and truly gaining a lot more fans and definitely I hope that we get some more fans tomorrow for sure.

Aaron, two victories in two games and now two more games left. You must be tracking the weather of Florida as well. If US qualify for the next round, how big of an achievement will it be for the game of cricket in mainland America?

I think it'd be great to be honest if we qualify. Obviously, we know that we really and truly want to get the word out there as it relates to cricket in the country for the American born and raised people. I think the further we go in the tournament, the better for us, and the better for us bringing fans on board and stuff like that. So yeah, that's the aim right now and we're going to play hard cricket tomorrow and every other game to be honest.

There are quite a few Indian players, Indian origin players in the US team. So how do you see their mindset and how are they charged up for this game? How do you see that? Like players like Saurabh and Harmeet, etc.

I think they're pretty excited to be honest. This is the first time USA will be playing against India. And obviously, as you said, like so many guys on our team are from India. They actually played against and with some of the guys back home in the past. So, they're definitely excited to play against some friends for sure.

And do you have an eye on the weather in Florida? I mean, if it rains out, you're in to the next round.

Yeah, we've been looking at the weather and stuff, but we don't really want to focus on it too much. At the end of the day whatever God wants, that's going to happen. So, we just want to play one game at a time. Right now, we are focused on playing India tomorrow, and then whatever happens after that and then we'll deal with it.

Aaron, you must have noticed for the India - Pakistan game about 90% were Indian public and in your team, there are quite a few Indians. So, when you play India tomorrow, do you think the crowd will be supporting you or the Indian team?

I think the crowd will be supporting both teams, to be honest. As you said, we have a lot of Indian players on our team as well. So, I think the crowd will be supporting both teams to be honest with you.

And one of the main focus at this particular World Cup is to promote the cricket in the US and everything. From your perspective, from a player's perspective, Is it much of a challenge? How do you see this about NBA finals are going on? You know, the kind of the media coverage you get from within the thing. Have you been tracking how long you set for yourself as a team where cricket could be counted amongst the top three, top four sports in the country?

To be honest with you, for me personally, I don't really pay much attention to the media and stuff as it relates to that. But I think with cricket being one of the biggest sports in the world, it's only a matter of time before the majority of people come on board as it relates to American born and raised people. I think America is a place where people love sports and obviously this World Cup is going to open the eyes of a lot of people, and then in a few years obviously with cricket being in the Olympics that's a very big thing as well. So, I think everything is on the rise right now as it relates to opening the eyes of the American born and raised public and it's just going to get better from here.

Will it be intimidating to be playing against the big Indian stars like Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma? What do you make out of these Indian players? What has been the plan?

I wouldn't say intimidating. I think it's actually exciting. Me growing up as a kid, I always wanted to play against the best players in the world and I'm definitely going to get the opportunity to do that now - so it's exciting for me. I don't want to say intimidating, I'm excited to play against them, to talk to them, and definitely to beat them as well. So yeah, definitely excited.

Aaron Jones and Towhid Hridoy, so far the most impressive batsmen in the tournament

Pakistan will be cheering for the Indian team for this game for obvious reasons. I am 99% sure that India is going to beat USA but still, you should expect a lot of Pakistani supporter there supporting India.
It can be a close contest as USA do have good bowlers and they know their conditions well for both batting and bowling where as India batting lineup is not familiar with these type of pitches where as USA played their whole cricket here so I would say it is 60/40 in India's favour as USA is not a bad team at all.

Battle for the top of the Table. A Win for india. I expect USA to continue with their positive cricket. There is that outside posibility that they could win. (y)

It can be a close contest as USA do have good bowlers and they know their conditions well for both batting and bowling where as India batting lineup is not familiar with these type of pitches where as USA played their whole cricket here so I would say it is 60/40 in India's favour as USA is not a bad team at all.
USA have never played on this ground.

They will struggle, and it's India so it might end up nuking their NRR aswell.

Going to be a good contest though india has the upper hand but USA is in good form.

USA's leading pacer, Ali Khan, opened up on the big challenge of facing Virat Kohli, telling an Indian sports channel:

"Well, Virat Kohli has of course, always been one of the favourites and coming up against him and playing against him, it will be really, really good."

"He's very passionate on the field, but so am I. On the field, if things get heated up, then they get heated up. I mean, you play fire with fire. He's right up there. He's, you know, they call him King Kohli for a reason."

Schoolmates, U19 Champs: USA players recall Indian connections

Ahead of his side's ICC T20 World Cup game against India, USA pacer Saurabh Netravalkar has opened up on his bond with India's number-one ranked T20I batter Suryakumar Yadav, saying that their bond goes back to U15 days when they played together for Mumbai.

India will play USA in their third Group A game of the T20 World Cup at the Nassau County International Stadium on Wednesday. In their previous game, India had defeated Pakistan in a low-scoring thriller by six runs. USA's last game also saw them beat Pakistan in the Super Over after the match ended in a tie. India is at the top of the group with two wins in two games and four points.

The USA is in second place with the same win-loss record and four points, though their net run rate is inferior.

Speaking exclusively to Star Sports, USA Bowler Saurabh Netravalkar, who represented Mumbai and Indian U19 team before his debut for USA in 2019, talked about his equation with Suryakumar, saying, "Suryakumar has been a close friend, actually. I have seen him since our under-15 days; we kind of grew up playing for Mumbai together. He was always special, scoring double hundreds and stuff in under-15 and under-17 matches. So, he had that flair about him, and we knew he would go on to do something special."

"He got a chance to play for India later than I expected, but I am really happy for him. I am excited to meet him, and it is an opportunity to play not just against him but also against a lot of the guys we played with. I do not know how to get Surya out, but I think I will just try to do my role, what the team needs me to do, and we will see how it goes," he added.

USA all-rounder Harmeet Singh, who also played the U19 World Cup for India, also talked about that he looked up to Indian skipper Rohit Sharma growing up and they both attended the same school. He also talked about how they made their first-class debut together for Mumbai.

"Growing up, I used to look up to Rohit Sharma. Rohit comes from my school, and he had just graduated when I entered. I made my first-class debut with him, and he played in the under-19 World Cup a few tournaments before me. It was really exciting to see someone from the suburbs of Mumbai going out there and conquering the world. In Bombay, it was all about the beyond Bandra schools and cricketers, but Rohit started that in the suburbs, and from there we all followed. Some other guys I have played under-19 India with are Sanju (Samson), Kuldeep (Yadav), and Axar (Patel). It will be fun catching up and playing against them as well."

USA Captain Monank Patel also talked about his connection with India all-rounder Axar Patel, saying, "I have played with Axar and Bumrah in under-19 and under-15 matches. Axar comes from the same town where I am from. It is a small town, and he has obviously motivated and encouraged a lot of youngsters from there. I am happy to see them growing and playing good cricket."

USA All-Rounder Corey Anderson, who once played for New Zealand, shared his thoughts on how excited he is to face Jasprit Bumrah in the upcoming match. He said, "I have got a bit of a soft spot for Bumrah. I think I was at Mumbai when he was first introduced to MI, and watching him develop from this raw natural talent to one of the best bowlers in the world has been amazing. It is cool to see that progress throughout because you see the things they talk about early in their careers, and how they gain experience. To watch him reach his potential is awesome. We are obviously going to come up against him, and he can do some serious damage. I think it is going to be extremely exciting to face him as well."

Would be a truly historic day if the USA beats Ind today. Not easy and still a long shot but what a day it will be if the USA win and top the group!! 👍

Also hope the crowd supports the USA team and not the Ind team. Honestly it would upset me to see that. It feels so cringey to see these guys supporting the Ind team and not their home team. A similar thing happened in the USA Pak game. Why when you are a USA citizen would you support the opposing team?? Very disappoining and frankly a little mad that these guys dont support their home team USA.. Hope there are way more USA supporters than ind today. Dont like to see these ind and pak origin USA residents cheering and supporting Ind or pak - I consider it to be a disgrace. Go support your home team USA guys!
Go USA USA USA!!! 👍😀

Alik khan and netravalkar will be key. If they have a good opening spell in the PP and put the openers under pressure- the ind middle order has a soft belly and they can exploit that.

Would be a truly historic day if the USA beats Ind today. Not easy and still a long shot but what a day it will be if the USA win and top the group!! 👍

Also hope the crowd supports the USA team and not the Ind team. Honestly it would upset me to see that. It feels so cringey to see these guys supporting the Ind team and not their home team. A similar thing happened in the USA Pak game. Why when you are a USA citizen would you support the opposing team?? Very disappoining and frankly a little mad that these guys dont support their home team USA.. Hope there are way more USA supporters than ind today. Dont like to see these ind and pak origin USA residents cheering and supporting Ind or pak - I consider it to be a disgrace. Go support your home team USA guys!
Go USA USA USA!!! 👍😀
India won't lose even if they want to. India is too good for minnows. They will run them close at best. Losing is very hard. But having said that this is an utterly inconsequential match for India given that they have to face Canada at Lauderhill.

Go USA USA USA!!! 👍😀

You are always on wrong side of the road. We seen it Indian election 😆

India will win but pretty funny only thing in the Universe Pakistan is supposed to better at than USA and we lost. Cringe.

India won't lose even if they want to. India is too good for minnows. They will run them close at best. Losing is very hard. But having said that this is an utterly inconsequential match for India given that they have to face Canada at Lauderhill.
Yeah I know its a herculean task for the USA here. But even id they lose ahould be good learning experience for them and they will be better prepared for the Ireland game. If USA pull it off today though - a miracle- just imagine the scenes!!

India will win but pretty funny only thing in the Universe Pakistan is supposed to better at than USA and we lost. Cringe.
Don't worry Pakistan can take solace in the fact that by 2046/2047 their on track to surpass USA in population.

So they can rest easy knowing they'll have another useless statistic to gloat about

India should make necessary changes in this match... No point in trying new players in insignificant (most probably) last match... Jaiswal should open, don't mind Kohli coming at even No.4 (this is the best opportunity for Kohli to step down to No.4, in this way he can play both T20s & ODIs for few more years without affecting the team's prospects... His ground shots and running between the wickets in middle overs will be helpful... Also we need to shield Kohli on these pitches, this is bit like Test Matches...)

Jadeja should be dropped, Axar should be retained... Jaiswal should come in place of Dubey. On these pitches you need an extra batsman, usually your 5th bowler (like Pandya) is good enough to bowl full spell. You don't normally need a full-fledged 6th bowler, but you will need an extra batsman.

Jaiswal
Rohit
Pant
Kohli
Samson
SKY
Pandya
Axar
Kuldeep/Arshdeep (on WI pitches extra spinner is needed)
Bumrah
Siraj

Ideally we would have needed a spin bowling alrounder in place of SKY/Samson. Alrounder more stronger in batting department (unlike Axar/Jadeja) - somebody like Yuvaraj, Raina, Sehwag... I think this would have been a perfect opportunity to include someone like Tilak Verma, these conditions are suited for his batting, and also could have been effective with ball... Last IPL was too batting friendly, so he probably didn't get a chance to bowl (also impact rule not allowing borderline alrounders to develop...)

Getting a weird feeling USA might just pull something off here too

So what will the teams do if they win the toss ? I am never a believer in tosses anyway - I believe its just a way to start the game. I still think USA should bat first contrary to popular opinion

I cant bring myself to support India even when our fate is on the line.

I took off one month for work to watch the WC but I will give this match a miss.

I took off one month for work to watch the WC but I will give this match a miss.
Why would you take one month of work to support Pakistan 💀.

Arei kakei, life ko enjoy karo, India ghusa and Pakistan ghusa and tension not a big deal. If I were you I'd take time off for ct 2025 since it happens rarely, this one is happening after 8 years and Pakistan are defending champions so all eyes on us, plus odi is a better format imo.

T20 to hoti hi rahti hai every 2 years.

Why would you take one month of work to support Pakistan 💀.

Arei kakei, life ko enjoy karo, India ghusa and Pakistan ghusa and tension not a big deal. If I were you I'd take time off for ct 2025 since it happens rarely, this one is happening after 8 years and Pakistan are defending champions so all eyes on us, plus odi is a better format imo.

T20 to hoti hi rahti hai every 2 years.
Bro - you have Aus as a ffall back option to support or probably the 1st option ! Not too many others have that option though:)

If you aren't supporting India, you'll still end up watching Monank , Netravalkar , Kenjige , Harmeet and Jasdeep celebrating .

My sympathies with all PAK fans. Quite the predicament

If you aren't supporting India, you'll still end up watching Monank , Netravalkar , Kenjige , Harmeet and Jasdeep celebrating .

My sympathies with all PAK fans. Quite the predicament
Yeah we are stuck between a rock and a hard place in this game

USA much better chance of beating India in NY than they would have at Dallas

Sky would have smashed a 25 ball 70 there

USA much better chance of beating India in NY than they would have at Dallas

Sky would have smashed a 25 ball 70 there
Naw , Dallas is where entire MCL is held, they literally play here continuously and will do again next month during MCL.(joined by Rachin, Cummins , Travis its huge this time)

Bro - you have Aus as a ffall back option to support or probably the 1st option ! Not too many others have that option though:)
I liked Australia even before moving to Australia lol. I think Pakistan vs Australia 2010 was the first game I ever watched. I started following cricket from 2011 fully but in 2010 I only watched a few, and that was the first game and I kinda just fell in love with how professional the team is.

Thing is yes while theirs a talent gap, I don't get why theirs a discipline and behaviour gap. Even war torn countries like Afghanistan seem to have their crap together and give you vibes of being a very professional team in this cup.

So I don't get why Pakistan is a clown show, considering g Afghanistan is historically known for being an angry nation, yet their so chill and professional this time around

Naw , Dallas is where entire MCL is held, they literally play here continuously and will do again next month during MCL.(joined by Rachin, Cummins , Travis its huge this time)
But it’s a flat deck with small boundaries

It brings Rohit, Pant, Dube, Sky and Pandya right into the game

In NY no big hitter will survive unless they really give it hell for leather.

Toss Update:

India have won the toss and have opted to field

Monank Patel is missing out today, he's replaced by Aaron Jones

United States (Playing XI): Steven Taylor, Shayan Jahangir, Andries Gous(w), Aaron Jones(c), Nitish Kumar, Corey Anderson, Harmeet Singh, Shadley van Schalkwyk, Jasdeep Singh, Saurabh Netravalkar, Ali Khan

India (Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), Virat Kohli, Rishabh Pant(w), Suryakumar Yadav, Shivam Dube, Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Jasprit Bumrah, Arshdeep Singh, Mohammed Siraj

But it’s a flat deck with small boundaries

It brings Rohit, Pant, Dube, Sky and Pandya right into the game

In NY no big hitter will survive unless they really give it hell for leather.
Pant is in the game nowhere what pitch, SKY is a dud, Rohit yeah , Pandya nope seeing his form.

Honestly for all Pakistani fans watching, I wouldn't only be nervous about Ireland vs USA. I would bbe nervous here too.

This is NY, USA can very well cause an upset

I think so too. I think Afghanistan will go furthest amongst the Asians. Australia and Afghanistan to beat India in super 8s. The second round will get spicy for sure

I think so too. I think Afghanistan will go furthest amongst the Asians. Australia and Afghanistan to beat India in super 8s. The second round will get spicy for sure
Their the most improved team amongst all Asian teams( Note I said improved not best, India may be best but I'm talking about improvements over the last few years)

The only reason people underestimate them is cause their name is Afghanistan.

However they use to be a crap batting team and medicore bowling side with only a world class spin unit. Not the case anymore. They got gun openers, Gun pacers, World class spinners and frankly only their middle order is weak but its nowhere near as fragile as Pakistan's, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka's MO.

Pakistan has the most fragile MO lol.

USA will put up a better fight against India than Pakistan. In fact I hope they win to confirm their place in the 2nd round and confirm pakistan to the airport. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: USA played very brave and fearless cricket, unlike pakistan who were timid and cowards.

Back