India beat West Indies by 237 runs in the 3rd Test

Your top order is better than ours. Its your tail that lets you down.

The openers - dhawan and Hafeez are similar; and Rahul and your new kid are solid.

Azhar Ali is more solid than Pujara.
YK against spin is more solid than Kohli, but struggles abroad. Call it evens.
Misbah and Rahane is evens.
Shafiq is better than Ashwin the batsman.
Sarfaraz is better than Saha.

Your tail does let you down. Our 8-11 add valuable runs, whereas yours are second coming of Walsh with the bat.

But
YK is better than Kohli at asia :)

The openers - dhawan and Hafeez are similar; and Rahul and your new kid are solid.

Your tail does let you down. Our 8-11 add valuable runs, whereas yours are second coming of Walsh with the bat.

It's the tail and their bowling that has been letting them down. They don't have individual wonder kids like a Root or a williamson but as a batting lineup they're actually competent. I think folks confuse their rubbish ODI batting with Test batting.

Windies will be a solid side in one year.

Might even manage to give Pakistan a scare or two in the UAE.

India need a 50 plus averaging keeper batsman to pull of this strategy of playing 5 batsmen .Especially against good bowling attacks .
On the plus side the Indian.bowlers can bat quite well .

Wow. Just tuned in and I've to say that I m shocked after looking at our at our batting lineup.

Only 4 down and Ashwin is already in the middle!! :yk2

India need a 50 plus averaging keeper batsman to pull of this strategy of playing 5 batsmen .Especially against good bowling attacks .
On the plus side the Indian.bowlers can bat quite well .

Where's Bairstow when you need him!

Actually the opener should be VJ who is undoubtedly superior to anyone in Asia currently.
Also Rahul has 3 100s, all overseas so calling Sami better would be wrong.

YK/Misbah/Shafiq vs Kohli/Rahane/Ashwin depends on where the match is being held with the Indian guys clearly superior to their corresponding Pakistani counterparts outside Asia and vice versa. (Ashwin averages 32 outside Asia compared to Shafiq's 24).

Bhuvi/Jadeja/Mishra etc clearly superior to their tail

They will compete better than most people think.

They will compete well but lose but I think Pakistan might find it difficult to win a series over there next year. A couple of rain affected draws, a Pakistan win and one match where Pakistani batting collapses on a green top to give a Windies win.

Actually the opener should be VJ who is undoubtedly superior to anyone in Asia currently.
Also Rahul has 3 100s, all overseas so calling Sami better would be wrong.

YK/Misbah/Shafiq vs Kohli/Rahane/Ashwin depends on where the match is being held with the Indian guys clearly superior to their corresponding Pakistani counterparts outside Asia and vice versa. (Ashwin averages 32 outside Asia compared to Shafiq's 24).

I am comparing the team, that Kohli has decided to go for this match. Should have used Rohit, instead of Pujara, but that would have been an even greater difference :facepalm:

Bhuvi/Jadeja/Mishra etc clearly superior to their tail

Once Vijay is back, and Rahul the other opener, our opening is stronger. The gap does reduce, but their batting would still be stronger.

Once Vijay is back, and Rahul the other opener, our opening is stronger. The gap does reduce, but their batting would still be stronger.

Yeah like I said depends on the conditions. In Asia I'd take the Pakistani middle order. Overseas our guys.

I'll get slotted for this, but I think Rahane is India's best test batsman

One of the best in the world. Hasn't had a bad series so far.

Will prolly spend his career in Kohli's shadow just like someone else did back in the day.

I think it's time to try someone new like Nair in the middle order instead of Pujara. If we are playing with 5 bowlers, we can't have a batsman just for playing off the new ball.

Lol he is by far the best test batsman in our team. I will even rate Vijay ahead of Kohli in our team.

Man I really want to see

VJ,KL,Pujara,Kohli,Rahane.

This can be as good as the fab 4 era (Although VJ is already 32 and I don't see him playing beyond the next set of away tours).

Are there white people in the west indies?

I thought Tony Cozier was the only one:ibutt

How did Gavaskar and Manjrekar react to Rohit? They were very disappointed at Pujara's innings last time around.. were they happy today as Rohit played, err, a little faster?

Man I really want to see

VJ,KL,Pujara,Kohli,Rahane.

This can be as good as the fab 4 era (Although VJ is already 32 and I don't see him playing beyond the next set of away tours).

I would love to have this line up:

Murali Vijay
Lokesh Rahul
Che Pujara/Karun Nair
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
Ravi Ashwin
Wrid Saha
Ravi Jadeja/Amit Mishra
Bhuv Kumar/Malcolm Yadav
Mohd. Shami
Ishant Sharma

This can be a solid team, however lower middle order is a bit weak. We need Ashwin to develop his batting more.

Otherwise we need a good pace bowling AR or a quality batsman wicket keeper.

Murali Vijay
Lokesh Rahul
Che Pujara/Karun Nair
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
Ravi Ashwin
Wrid Saha
Ravi Jadeja/Amit Mishra
Bhuv Kumar/Malcolm Yadav
Mohd. Shami
Ishant Sharma

This can be a solid team, however lower middle order is a bit weak. We need Ashwin to develop his batting more.

IS there no Wicket Keeper batsman with promise, performance and a few years experience in Ranji.

I know Sanju Samson seems to have regressed.

Sanju Manju is asking India to 'dominate' Roston Chase.. wonder if he also asked Rohit to do the same..

Rahanes average has been climbing, its just above 48 now was 44.97 before the series. I can see it hitting 50 soon!

Murali Vijay
Lokesh Rahul
Che Pujara/Karun Nair
Virat Kohli
Ajinkya Rahane
Ravi Ashwin
Wrid Saha
Ravi Jadeja/Amit Mishra
Bhuv Kumar/Malcolm Yadav
Mohd. Shami
Ishant Sharma

Yeah. Wriddhiman is make shift for now. Bhuv Kumar's only bad thing is he has no pace. He has got great control and swing. Let's see if he can bring his IPL speeds here. Cause a good Bhuv Kumar would easily make the XI due to his batting ability. And Shami is pretty good too. So a good Bhuvi/Shami pair would be really good.

Also Jaddu offers more control than Mishra. Even if he does not take wickets he keeps it tight and keeps an end closed up. So I prefer him over Mishra.

Hearing Manjrekar and Gavaskar makes me feel jealous of our Pakistani friends. Wish we could swap them with Rameez.

IS there no Wicket Keeper batsman with promise, performance and a few years experience in Ranji.

I know Sanju Samson seems to have regressed.

I don't follow Ranji..

I have the exact same question as well. Perhaps someone who follows Ranji trophy here can help us out. [MENTION=141829]geraltofrivia[/MENTION]

One thing is certain. I can see Ashwin, Jadeja and Bhuvi - each of them outscoring Dhawan and Rohit in both the innings of this test.

I don't follow Ranji..

I have the exact same question as well. Perhaps someone who follows Ranji trophy here can help us out. [MENTION=141829]geraltofrivia[/MENTION]

Naah. I have no idea. That's why KL was such a pleasant surprise as was Bumrah.

This is embarrassment. Though I am not following this series but I can say this much that we will seriously challenge India come December. :mv

No matter who wins this, it's always good to see two evenly matched teams like India and WI go head to head.

Oh there's a match today? 3 pages in day 1 means india is in trouble!

Shameless Sanju Manju defending pathetic shot of Rohit Sharma. I'm done now :facepalm:

Indians cant play offspin to save their lives .
Excellent against legspin but totally crap against offspin .
Terrible for an asian side.

This is Kohli's fault.

Too much bravado.

Vijay was DROPPED.

Would you believe it?

Dropped.

For whom?

Rohit.

Just kill me now.

How the hell can Kohli justify dropping Pujara with a straight face??

1. Is he really going to bat at 3 long term? Imagine England 2019, Aus 2020.. Does it make sense to play Kohli at 3?
2. Rohit made 0 in his last innnings, and averages 25 over 15-20 tests. So Pujara is still better with his lean patch and all. If they had selected Vijay, at least there is some ground to stand on.
3. Strike rate in tests is such a ********. There is unique value in keeping the bowlers at bay, and tiring them out. Even when Pujara doesnt score much, he takes the steam out of opposition, and then others in lower middle order can take advantage.

I have lost a lot of respect for Kohli for showing favoritism and screwing up with who could be one of the greats of Indian test cricket.

Alzarri Joseph's first wicket in Test cricket is Virat Kohli. Not bad.

Kemar Roach and Jerome Taylor have been trundling for a long time. Both have not looked the same since injury.

If Gabriel can develop some consistency - then an attack of Gabriel, Cummins and Joseph is quite potent. Even Holder with his height can cause problems by generating some bounce.

No. We should lose. Otherwise Kohli will remain under the delusion that this is the more 'solid' and 'attacking' XI..

I like Bhuvi/Jadeja over Yadav/Mishra but Rohit/Dhawan have to be dropped. Hopefully we win and these two guys don't score in the second dig.

Lot of people tend to pass quick obituaries for the windies and the lankan sides whenever they lose.

But they actually have some decent batsmen and very good bowlers coming through.

Windies fans have been through too many false dawns but some of this U19 crop are promising. With Cummins and Joseph you have some serious pace which you need on these slow, low wickets.

The batting is still too fragile. Kraigg Brathwaite and Darren Bravo are two batsmen I like a great deal but their form has fallen off a cliff. Brathwaite has averaged 26 since the start of 2015, and curiously in that timeframe, averages better away than at home. Bravo averages 31 in the same period.

And Marlon Samuels is a disgrace in Test cricket for a senior player. He averages 25 with just 2 hundreds in 16 Tests since the start of 2014. The way he was lumbering around in the field in Australia was appalling. A far cry from his limited overs performances.

This is not good enough for three key batsmen.

9.15am Virat Kohli faces selection dilemma at the top, again. M Vijay has recovered from the thumb injury and is set to take his place at the expense of KL Rahul. Has Rahul done enough with his career-best 158? Does it leave Dhawan/Pujara out in the cold (Kohli, though,suggested that Pujara would keep his place at No.3)? Or will Vijay miss the cut?

From cricinfo

9.15am Virat Kohli faces selection dilemma at the top, again. M Vijay has recovered from the thumb injury and is set to take his place at the expense of KL Rahul. Has Rahul done enough with his career-best 158? Does it leave Dhawan/Pujara out in the cold (Kohli, though,suggested that Pujara would keep his place at No.3)? Or will Vijay miss the cut?

From cricinfo

Later on cricinfo they said "Jaz: "Why was Vijay dropped? " --- Not sure if he was dropped or hadn't recovered completely from injury"

Maybe they left him out as a precaution.

Back