New Zealand [280/3] defeat South Africa [279/8] by 7 wickets in the 4th ODI to level the series 2-2

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
New Zealand Squad
KS Williamson*, TA Boult, NT Broom, DG Brownlie, C de Grandhomme, LH Ferguson, MJ Guptill, MJ Henry, TWM Latham, JDS Neesham, L Ronchi†, MJ Santner, IS Sodhi, TG Southee, LRPL Taylor

South Africa Squad
AB de Villiers*, HM Amla, F Behardien, Q de Kock†, JP Duminy, F du Plessis, Imran Tahir, DA Miller, CH Morris, WD Parnell, D Paterson, AL Phehlukwayo, D Pretorius, K Rabada, T Shamsi

What a glorious shot by #. Trent Boult bowls a slower ball and he lofts him over cover for six.

Difficult pitch to bat on and Amla cruising along. Faf doing his best to stay out there as well.

Lol, Amla, come on. One of the few times he's given it away.

Not watching the game and just following the scorecard as I am travelling.

How is the pitch behaving?

Grip and turn available for the spinners. Difficult to play your shots.

Duminy is a huge blemish on what would otherwise be rated as one of the greatest odi batting lineups in history (De kock, Amla, Faf, AB, Miller)

Was that sarcasm? or did you mean one of the few times he has given it away in a meaningless bilateral lol

I know it's not been a good few days for you, but no need to be so cranky. Did your thread get deleted too? :(

AB isn't human...... [MENTION=129948]Bilal7[/MENTION] [MENTION=141557]Chief Destroyer[/MENTION] did you see that shot. My god.....

Masterful recovery job by AB. Commies were predicting a score of 230...

104m six on a slow pitch. Bigger than any in the PSL. AB is ODI GOAT

Wow our lower order is doing an impressive job.
In the first match it was Phehlukwayo. In the second Pretorius albeit in a losing course. Parnell stuck with AB for a vital partnership in the third one. And now Morris first added a vital 50 run stand and then Parnell's late blows to support AB once again. I can't believe we've found some fire power down the order after a very very long time. But seriously the upper order need to convert these starts. One has to get to a runner ball hundred at the very least.
Could easily have scored 300+ in both the third and fourth ODI.

This game is not won yet though, and shouldn't take away the magnificent job our all rounders are doing down there irrespective of the result. If anything I'd blame the upper order for a loose here.

Duminy is a huge blemish on what would otherwise be rated as one of the greatest odi batting lineups in history (De kock, Amla, Faf, AB, Miller)

Damn we miss Rilley, this team is close to being a very balanced side, yet so far. We can't afford to carry any groceries. JP needs to stop being a parcel.

Damn we miss Rilley, this team is close to being a very balanced side, yet so far. We can't afford to carry any groceries. JP needs to stop being a parcel.

QDK, Amla, Faf, AB, Miller, Duminy,Pretorius, Morris, Morkel, Kagiso, Tahir. That could the best odi team in the world. 4 of the best batsmen in the world and 3 of the best bowlers, only real weakness is lower middle order due to Duminy.

Kane fails again, lol at those who said he was our best in ODI's :))

Guptill, Taylor and Boult are far more important.

Brainless captaincy to have Duminy bowl 3 overs before bringing on the best odi spinner in the world.

Thought he was done there, it's difficult to judge with the stride.

As usual, an over late. Now he'll bring back one of the main bowlers when this was the over to capitalize on the pressure built from the other end. These are the fine margins between great captains and average ones.

Tahir is the key for South Africa, Guptil is the man for the Kiwis.

I have a feeling Ronchi will win it for the Black Caps. A high-pressure decider is good practice for both sides.

Man.. they may get a lot of hate, but Guptill and Rohit are so damn good when on song.

In a league of their own when in form and firing.

Hafeez looks good too, just not as consistent as these two.

68 runs needed for another double.

87 runs left.

Just go for it.

What an inning by Guptill..!!!

Single handedly winning it for NZ..

What an inning by Guptill..!!!

Single handedly winning it for NZ..
He's our Rohit lol

Horrible against the moving ball, but his shots look effortless. Has a lot of power too.

NZ 200/2 off 210

Guptill 133 (108)
Everyone else and extras 67 (102)

Last edited:
Another pointless innings by de Villiers that did nothing for his team.

As usual, he looked like batting on a different pitch to his teammates but restricted himself to 59 deliveries only, while the likes of Faf and Duminy waddled along and were going nowhere with their innings.

End result is that South Africa were at least 30-40 runs short than where they would have been had de Villiers had the cojones to bat up the order.

South Africa have consistently scored below their potential because of the reluctance of their best batsman to restrict himself to x number of deliveries time and time again, while inferior batsman get to bat for a longer time period and do nothing.

Fan boys will be fan boys though, don't expect them to understand this.

Another pointless innings by de Villiers that did nothing for his team.

As usual, he looked like batting on a different pitch to his teammates but restricted himself to 59 deliveries only, while the likes of Faf and Duminy waddled along and were going nowhere with their innings.

End result is that South Africa were at least 30-40 runs short than where they would have been had de Villiers had the cojones to bat up the order.

South Africa have consistently scored below their potential because of the reluctance of their best batsman to restrict himself to x number of deliveries time and time again, while inferior batsman get to bat for a longer time period and do nothing.

Fan boys will be fan boys though, don't expect them to understand this.
30-40 runs wouldn't have been enough with the form and mood Guptill is in.

30-40 runs wouldn't have been enough with the form and mood Guptill is in.

Perhaps, but my point is that South Africa have consistently scored below their potential because of their best batsman facing very less deliveries. It's a complete tactical failure.

South Africa would have won a lot of matches that they lost has de Villiers batted in the top four.

This is amazing by Guptill though, he's ODI ATG material. Brilliant on his day.

Perhaps, but my point is that South Africa have consistently scored below their potential because of their best batsman facing very less deliveries. It's a complete tactical failure.

South Africa would have won a lot of matches that they lost has de Villiers batted in the top four.

This is amazing by Guptill though, he's ODI ATG material. Brilliant on his day.
I get your point about de Villers, but it's clear he can't hack it higher up.

Guptill is almost certain to finish as our greatest ever ODI player.

Last edited:
I get your point about de Villers, but it's clear he can't hack it higher up.

Almost certain to finish as our greatest ever ODI player.

Yes, and imagine him getting restricted to 50-60 deliveries per innings only, with Williamson and Taylor hogging the pitch for 30 overs. Taylor is very good but he's awful at rotating the strike and takes a lot of time to settle.

I don't agree that he can't do it up the order. He a superior player to everyone in that lineup in every aspect except for dealing with lateral movement, because Amla is the best at that.

However, he can easily bat at 3 and his innings there will have a lot more impact on the outcome of the match and won't just make his stats look pretty.

Same thing happened in the World Cup semifinal. This is like a repeat in some ways when you think about it.

There is no excuse for ABD to not bat up at 4 or 3.

WC I could understand it but this....after ABD has been consistently batting up at 4 till recently (except last game)?

Useless fellow.

So much talent but so little impact cos he doesn't have a functioning brain.

Will always remain number 2 to Kohli cos he was too stupid to not take the initiative.

Last edited:

Useless fool.

That's why I don't think he'll succeed higher in the order. I get the feeling he'll overthink things and get himself out when he has 40 or more overs to play.

WC I could understand it but this....after ABD has been consistently batting up at 4 till recently (except last game)?

Useless fellow.

Will always remain number 2 to Kohli cos he was too stupid to not take the initiative.
He does bat at 4 in most innings.

Back