Sarfaraz Ahmed replaced as captain of Quetta Gladiators by Rilee Rossouw

Have Quetta Gladiators taken the right decision to replace Sarfaraz Ahmed as captain?

• Total voters

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
As per some reports Rilee Rossouw has been appointed as the new Quetta Gladiators captain taking over from Sarfaraz Ahmed who led the team for all eight previous PSL seasons.

It will be interesting to see now whether Sarfaraz can retain his place in the team as a player considering his current form is not that great.

It's a shame that it took Shane Watson to force Nadeem Omar to do this. Otherwise Nadeem Omar would have continued with Sarfaraz forever regardless of results.

End of an era, one of Pakistan's greatest captains. The clock was ticking but still sad to see it

Sarafraz Ahmed has done a decent job as the captain of Quetta Gladiators but he couldn't produce good results in the last couple of seasons. Rossouw isn't a bad option but it would only be a short-term solution.

It's a shame that it took Shane Watson to force Nadeem Omar to do this. Otherwise Nadeem Omar would have continued with Sarfaraz forever regardless of results.

Haha still not sure if after a defeat Nadeem Omar will announce that we are bringing back Sarfaraz as captain.

Rilee is a good choice to be his replacement. He is a good player himself and Sarfaraz has failed badly in the last few seasons so this was bound to happen.

Good decision but does rilee rossouw have any Credentials as a captain

Good luck to Rilee now but still don't feel that this would make any difference for QG.

Making a foreign player a captain is always stupid in T20 leagues.

They have no idea about the local players and the conditions of the pitches.

Always best to have a local captain.
Agreed. Could’ve given a young buck a chance.

They had preformed poorly for the last 4 seasons. time to give someone else a chance.
I would have prefered if they gave it to a Pakistani player though

They had preformed poorly for the last 4 seasons. time to give someone else a chance.
I would have prefered if they gave it to a Pakistani player though
Yeah would have been better to groom somebody from Pakistan under Sarfaraz's guidance but who is fit enough for this role in their squad, I guess nobody.

Agreed this is a massive boost to the players by not having a sarfraz barking throughout the game.
Not really, he will probably still play as their keeper and used to tackle spin. Plus you need someone to keep bowlers on their toes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarfraz has been fantastic for the Quetta franchise but T20 was never his forte. He took them to two finals and won them a title and can leave the captaincy of the Purple storm with his head held high.

Every PSL franchise should have a Pakistani wicketkeeper behind the stumps so the likes of M harris, Haseebullah, etc get maximum exposure.

We also need to increase the teams to eight for the next edition because a lot of youngsters are missing out condensed in 6 teams.

Lets see what Rilee is about.

Apparently Sarfaraz didn't step down voluntarily or happily. Shane Watson surprisingly sternly told him in a team meeting that you are no longer the captain. This is how goras do business, they don't give a hoot about desi subcontinent sentiments, emotions and seniority.

Quetta Gladiators and Nadeem Omar should have done this themselves a long time ago.

The Sarfaraz fan base isn't happy and they are already targeting Watson's failure as coach in the IPL and US T20 league

Apparently Sarfaraz didn't step down voluntarily or happily. Shane Watson surprisingly sternly told him in a team meeting that you are no longer the captain. This is how goras do business, they don't give a hoot about desi subcontinent sentiments, emotions and seniority.

Quetta Gladiators and Nadeem Omar should have done this themselves a long time ago.

The Sarfaraz fan base isn't happy and they are already targeting Watson's failure as coach in the IPL and US T20 league

Yeah Aussies are just blunt like that. To be honest, I prefer that culture because you always know where you stand.

Naturally, Sarfaraz will not be happy, he's been dropped from the Test side, and now he has been stripped of his IPL captaincy, but it's time to develop younger players now and players who have a future. His role should be to give guidance to the new captain out (if its needed)

Sarfaraz's initial seasons as a captain in the PSL were brilliant but right after that he experienced a decline and became a liability for his own team.

Sarfaraz's initial seasons as a captain in the PSL were brilliant but right after that he experienced a decline and became a liability for his own team.
They used to be my favorite team when Kevin Pieterson was there. Don't know what just happened to them later.

The management of Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchise Quetta Gladiators did not take wicketkeeper batter Sarfaraz Ahmed into confidence before removing him as captain, ARY News reported citing sources.

This is sad if Sarfraz was forcibly removed. When you finally give him a good squad you remove him. Didn’t even get a chance to prove himself.

They needed a change.

It won't be a popular decision, but Watson has come in and stamped his authority straight away.

This is sad if Sarfraz was forcibly removed. When you finally give him a good squad you remove him. Didn’t even get a chance to prove himself.
Na a good squad and those senior pros needed a more commanding leader. I’m amazed at how a guy like Jason Roy quietly put up with him for this long.

Fair call.

I've never heard of Riley Reigns before, T20 cricket is all a drama; removing Sarfraz is the biggest dhoka the PSL has ever seen. It will also be a lot more boring now, I don't find a silent Sarfraz that interesting

he doesn't have a place in the team now as a plyer, how can they let him remain the captain?

He shouldn't be in the 11. Khawaja nafay can keep while sarfraz can bring the drinks out. Justice has been served. A truly mediocre cricketer is getting what he deserves.

Still won’t get a game
Your point exactly?

He's a talented young player who is being backed as a future batting prospect in the national team. If he is able to find success QG will have someone they can build their franchise around. He has enough talent where QG can take a chance on him as captain to gauge that.

Your point exactly?

He's a talented young player who is being backed as a future batting prospect in the national team. If he is able to find success QG will have someone they can build their franchise around. He has enough talent where QG can take a chance on him as captain to gauge that.

He’s not a T20 player, you don’t go 30 games on the bench for no reason.

He’s just another player that will average 40+ but hover around that 120 strike rate, that’s the last thing Pakistan needs.

Making a foreign player a captain is always stupid in T20 leagues.

They have no idea about the local players and the conditions of the pitches.

Always best to have a local captain.
Disagree with this statement 100%.

But in case of the gladiators, giving Captaincy to a rock would be an upgrade for them over letting sarfaraz lead them.

Sarfaraz and his squad was pretty mediocre in the last few seasons so this change was pretty much on the cards. No wonder he is changed and rightly so.

He’s not a T20 player, you don’t go 30 games on the bench for no reason.

He’s just another player that will average 40+ but hover around that 120 strike rate, that’s the last thing Pakistan needs.
It's too early to pass a judgement on him. He can still change his game and become a more dynamic player. Not every Pakistani player is Umar Akmal, where they just regress and regress instead of showing any signs of improvement.

Former West Indies batting great and mentor of Quetta Gladiators, Sir Vivian Richards said while speaking to local media:

"Well to be fair, I am very pleased and excited when I saw most of the players here, everyone knows here I’m a big fan of Saf [Sarfaraz Ahmed]. But Saf, I am sure he is on a lot of pressure in my opinion looking after the Quetta Gladiators team, looking after them to have success. But how he is here now in a capacity, where there is a new captain, I believe it would work well for Saf. When I say it will work well for him, he is now relaxed, there is not much pressure on him, and the only thing I said to him that now it's your time to show what Saf is all about, and I believe if things work well and InshaAllah that Saf could have a good tournament."

Rossouw going at it from the get go.
First 3 falls faced as captain: 6,0,4

Not looking good for Sarfraz, Wasim Jr and others being sent ahead of him to bat.
Wicketkeeping has been terrible the first 2 games too.

another awful inning by sarfaraz.

I don't understand why he is an automatic selection after getting dropped as a captain. He should free up his slot for any deserving candidate.

another awful inning by sarfaraz.

I don't understand why he is an automatic selection after getting dropped as a captain. He should free up his slot for any deserving candidate.
He's shameless that's why he wasted saud for 3 years now he's doing it with omair bin yousuf.

Not looking good for Sarfraz, Wasim Jr and others being sent ahead of him to bat.
Wicketkeeping has been terrible the first 2 games too.
He was sending Hasan Ali ahead of himself when he was the captain of Pakistan.

Some sensible knock by Rilee Rossouw. 31*(34) at the moment against Islamabad United. Can Captain Rilee steer his side to victory here?

I wonder why they're still playing with Sarfraz; he is the weakest link in the Quetta team, just playing as a pure wicket keeper.

I wonder why they're still playing with Sarfraz; he is the weakest link in the Quetta team, just playing as a pure wicket keeper.
Well if you actually watch the game and not the names on cricinifo…Sarfaraz has actually been keeping well.

I will appreciate Rilee Rossouw for how well he transformed his game tonight and keept himself calm under pressure to bring his team over the line. It was a pure captain's knock by him.

Reading comments like “Russouw and Watson changed QG”

This is not the complete picture. Nadeem Omar, Sarfaraz and in Particular Nabeel Hashmi,

these guys but Hashmi has been the mastermind of the QG turnaround.

-The PSL draft was key. Hashmi, Nadeem and Sarfaraz really put in an excellent shift scouting through the talent available in the national T20 cup and made

+the trade of Abrar and Wasim JR, that was all of Hashmi’s excellent work. He got an excellent deal for Naseem….unlike Karachi Kings last year with their rubbish trade of Babar for Haider Ali and Shoaib Malik!

+The trade of Rilee Russouw with Iftikhar Ahmed. Multan didn’t even budge for a better deal! They sold their house for a Ferrari in this deal, Quetta massive beneficiaries picking up one of the greatest middle order players in the league’s history whilst releasing a overrated Iftikhar

+The punt they took in Mohammad Amir, one of the best T20 pacers in franchise cricket and definitely Pakistan’s best white ball pacer right now.

+excellent domestic performers waiting on the wings or playing: Sohail Khan, Umar Amin, Omair bin Yousuf, Usman Qadir

+taking a punt in Khawaja Nafay whilst no one else knew about him

+I’m not sure if they retained or picked Sherfane Rutherford, but this is one of the best overseas picks for them. Rutherford is in excellent form and is probably one of the best finishers in the world at the moment

+Promoting Saud to opener instead of trying to make him work as a middle order player. Excellent decision

Rossow might be captain on paper however it is really Sarfraz pulling the strings. I can say with 100% certainty that it was his decision to bring Saud up to open, give Nafay the confidence to bat at 3, use Akeal Hossein with the new ball, bring Amir into Quetta plus all the brilliant field placements

Mark my words; when Quetta lift this years trophy, the real man to give all the credit to will be Saifi the warrior

Rossow might be captain on paper however it is really Sarfraz pulling the strings. I can say with 100% certainty that it was his decision to bring Saud up to open, give Nafay the confidence to bat at 3, use Akeal Hossein with the new ball, bring Amir into Quetta plus all the brilliant field placements

Mark my words; when Quetta lift this years trophy, the real man to give all the credit to will be Saifi the warrior
Lol salfo can not score runs, he should focus on his batting first.

You might be a Sarfraz fan for some reason , but don't create stories like this . Sarfraz for removed from the captaincy for some reasons, his failure as captain.

Lol salfo can not score runs, he should focus on his batting first.
Kaptaan is doing what he needs to do. Why don't you focus on captain courageous and his 40 ball fifties which require face saving innings from David, Ifti, Rossow etc to ensure that they contribute to a winning cause

Sarfaraz Ahmed has been taken to the hospital for a CT scan after being struck on the head by a ball during the last over of Multan's innings, following the team doctor's instructions.

Kaptaan is doing what he needs to do. Why don't you focus on captain courageous and his 40 ball fifties which require face saving innings from David, Ifti, Rossow etc to ensure that they contribute to a winning cause
Sarfraz can only dream of scoring a 50 in t20s his ceiling is a run a ball 10 as best these days.

Sent Sohail Khan to bowl his second-last over when pressure built up, as he didn’t perform well in his first two overs. Utilized the three spinners very effectively and motivated the players throughout. Great captaincy against Karachi Kings.

Back