Quetta Gladiators (169/4) clinch a last ball thriller by 6 wickets against Lahore Qalandars (166/4) to secure their place in the playoffs of PSL 9

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Updated Points table after Match 27:

1710077329647.png

The Quetta Gladiators, led by Rilee Rossouw, are aiming to secure a second victory and a playoff spot as they prepare to take on the Lahore Qalandars in the 28th match of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) 2024. The match is scheduled for today Sunday, March 10, in the evening at the National Stadium in Karachi.

Despite suffering a 76-run defeat in their previous match against Peshawar Zalmi, the Gladiators are hopeful, drawing confidence from their previous 5-wicket victory over the Lahore Qalandars, where they successfully chased a target of 188 with 5 balls to spare.

ItPpprw.png

Squads:

Lahore Qalandars
Squad: Mirza Tahir Baig, Fakhar Zaman, Abdullah Shafique, Shai Hope(w), Sikandar Raza, David Wiese, Shaheen Afridi(c), Ahsan Bhatti, Jahandad Khan, Tayyab Abbas, Zaman Khan, Sahibzada Farhan, Sam Billings, Carlos Brathwaite, Kamran Ghulam, George Linde, Daniel Lawrence, Lorcan Tucker, Salman Fayyaz, Mohammad Imran, Syed Faridoun

Quetta Gladiators Squad: Jason Roy, Saud Shakeel, Rilee Rossouw(c), Khawaja Nafay, Omair Yousuf, Laurie Evans(w), Akeal Hosein, Sohail Khan, Mohammad Amir, Mohammad Hasnain, Abrar Ahmed, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Sherfane Rutherford, Usman Tariq, Bismillah Khan, Mohammad Wasim Jr, Usman Qadir, Will Smeed, Sajjad Ali, Adil Naz

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toss Update:

Lahore Qalandars have won the toss and have opted to bat

Shaheen Afridi: Result wise it's very tough, as a team we fought in every game, 6-7 games were really close. Two changes, unfortunately Fakhar got fracture on his finger...

Rilee Rossouw: We wanted to bowl first so happy. We want to finish in top two but we're going to take one game at a time. It's just about putting three or four overs together with the ball and bat and put up a masterclass performance. Hasnain misses out and M.Wasim Jnr comes in.

Quetta Gladiators need to win this and confirm their berth in the playoffs. A defeat will give them another chance to progress into the knockout because they have another game after this against Multan Sultans on 12th March.

Poor team selection again

They needed another batsman

Khwaja should have been dropped

Last edited by a moderator:
Nafay could have kept wickets and they could have added Will Smeed

He will definitely give them stability in the middle

Already a low quality game with Bazid Khan on commentary

So even if Quetta have a good powerplay of scoring 60 let’s say…they are 1 wicket away from getting in an out of form Russouw into it…and he will hole out against a spinner..

And then Nafay will give an easy catch to someone on the boundary after eating up 5-7 deliveries. The game will be gone by then

Poor start again for LQ

Yesterday Karachi blasted them out in the powerplay and they couldn’t really get a control in the game since

I like how this other fielder was in possition next to Wasim Jr, just in case Wasim jr popped it

LNbWPxy.png

What a shot from Abdullah. Such a smooth classy looking player and the one big difference in his play style vs Babar is that Abdullah is willing to take more risks with aerial shots while Babar looks to play more along the ground.

Another fantastic shot the ball after.

He was the reason they won last two psls even though strike rate was just average but the way he gas been treated this psl is mind bongling

He was the reason they won last two psls even though strike rate was just average but the way he gas been treated this psl is mind bongling
He has a poor attitude

Must have annoyed someone in the LQ dug out

Crazy how everyone was saying abrar doesn't belong in wc 2023 squad over nawaz and shadab cause he has zero experience meanwhile he was busy dismantling the England test squad single handidely.

Looks like Abdullah is trying to expand his arsenal. Hard to recall him using a reverse sweep ever.

I think the dot balls remains a work in progress but he is still quite young. Has all the tools to be a great all-format player for Pakistan.

Looks like Abdullah is trying to expand his arsenal. Hard to recall him using a reverse sweep ever.

I think the dot balls remains a work in progress but he is still quite young. Has all the tools to be a great all-format player for Pakistan.
yes tried a ramp last game as well. It looks like he's trying to actively try new things. What I like about it, is that he is trying it earlier in his innings. In the last game, he look his time to try funky / aggressive shots

Roy drops a sitter, he's dropped a few this PSL. Perhaps he's been in Pakistan too long

PRoi82v.png

What a catch by Evans

Not sure he knocked that though

What a catch by Evans

Not sure he knocked that though
I thought so too, because the spike happened before the ball passed the bat.
But on replay, he clearly knicked it

EUvK1e8.png

If I were Raza Wiese I wouldn’t come out to bat no self respecting batsman would come after Shaheen !

Zindabad Shaheen

PSL captain doing what PSL captains do

I am not sure why Shaheen keeps promoting himself when there are main spinners on. He can hit pace but he is extremely lost vs spin and needs a lot work.

He's also gotta understand that if bowlers are going very wide to stay away from his power, then he needs to adjust and hit more deliveries in the cover region or cut it. Can't just keep slogging it to the onside wildly.

165 a good score ?
Yesterday, 189 was a winning score by 20 runs.
QG don't really seem to have an in form batting order, at the same time, LQ havn't bowled well
So I think 165 will be competitve

14 (12) so for from Shaheen. I don't mind him promoting himself if he is going to pinch hit. But he really should not be going at a sr of 117 at this stage of the game

14 (12) so for from Shaheen. I don't mind him promoting himself if he is going to pinch hit. But he really should not be going at a sr of 117 at this stage of the game
Who promotes themselves to pinch hit from over 8?

Isn't it better to have an established batsmen play those 12 overs?

Who promotes themselves to pinch hit from over 8?

Isn't it better to have an established batsmen play those 12 overs?

I agree, it doesnt make any sense. All im saying, is that if he wants to promote himself ahead of propper batters, he should just whack and not waste time.

Who is taking call for sending Shaheen at 5 ? Himself or Lahore team management?

I agree, it doesnt make any sense. All im saying, is that if he wants to promote himself ahead of propper batters, he should just whack and not waste time.
I mean when he came on he was facing abrar and most of the deliveries were perfectly pitched, he couldn't exactly swing his arms, but that's why you need an established batsmen as they can play proper strokes to captilise.

All shaheen can do is swing and play baseball.

Wow, what a shot from Abudllah. That is what a proper batter can do

The shot before, Hossein bowled it full and outside off, Shaheen skied it and was lucky not to be caught
He bowled a similar ball to Abdullah and it was hit for 6

That what proper batters can do

9i1fu5J.png

The shot before, Hossein bowled it full and outside off, Shaheen skied it and was lucky not to be caught

9i1fu5J.png
And as I say this, Shaheen hits 2 sixes haha

Yesterday, 189 was a winning score by 20 runs.
QG don't really seem to have an in form batting order, at the same time, LQ havn't bowled well
So I think 165 will be competitve
175 & fix on .LQ to win .

9i1fu5J.png
Did you just copy my reply, 😂. Smooth and well played.

Shaheen Shah Afridi isn't an All-rounder, he's doing injustice to the deserving players.

why are you guys not in Stadium sipping a Pepsi for a chance to win a Crore ? 144/3 - 16 balls left

Back