South Africa v Pakistan | 1st T20I | Johannesburg | 10 April 2021 | South Africa innings

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Short a host of regulars, South Africa will be up against it in the T20I series against Pakistan. However, with those absences comes the chance for the Proteas to test their depth ahead of this year’s ICC T20 World Cup.

Overview
South Africa vs Pakistan, 1st T20I
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
Saturday, 10 April, 2:30pm local

After losing a rollercoaster ODI series 2-1 against Pakistan, South Africa are looking to bounce back in the T20Is and test their rising stars against in-form opposition.

Having already released Kagiso Rabada, Quinton de Kock, David Miller, Lungi Ngidi and Anrich Nortje to play in the IPL ahead of this year’s T20 World Cup in India, South Africa has since suffered injuries to key men. Captain Temba Bavuma has been ruled out with a hamstring injury, while Dwaine Pretorius has not been medically cleared to take part as he continues rehabilitation from a rib fracture. Rassie van der Dussen has remained the with the squad but he is currently battling a quad injury, and Reeza Hendricks has withdrawn following the birth of his first child.

Despite the setbacks, coach Mark Boucher sees a silver lining.

Temba Bavuma suffered a hamstring injury in the final ODI.Temba Bavuma suffered a hamstring injury in the final ODI.

“It’s a young squad and the guys are all desperate for opportunities,” Boucher said after the final ODI.

“It’s not ideal having a couple of injuries, but it brings an opportunity and I know there are quite a few very hungry guys in our T20 squad who would like to represent their country and see what it’s all about at international level.”

Janneman Malan and Kyle Verreynne both impressed in the final ODI, scoring 78 and 62 respectively and both will be hoping for further opportunities this month. Fast bowler Lutho Sipamla will similarly be looking to establish himself at this level.

Just like for South Africa, this series is another chance for Pakistan to ready themselves for the T20 World Cup.

Fixtures - all times local
First T20I: Saturday, 10 April, 2:30pm at Johannesburg
Second T20I: Monday, 12 April, 2:30pm at Johannesburg
Third T20I: Wednesday, 14 April, 2:30pm at Centurion
Fourth T20I: Friday, 16 April, 2:30pm at Centurion

Squads

South Africa

Heinrich Klaasen (c), Daryn Dupavillon, Bjorn Fortuin, Beuran Hendricks, George Linde, Wihan Lubbe, Sisanda Magala, Janneman Malan, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Andile Phehlukwayo, Migael Pretorius, Tabraiz Shamsi, Lutho Sipamla, Pite van Biljon, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne, Lizaad Williams

Pakistan

Babar Azam (c), Arshad Iqbal, Asif Ali, Danish Aziz, Faheem Ashraf, Fakhar Zaman, Haider Ali, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali, Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan, Mohammad Wasim, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Sharjeel Khan, Usman Qadir, Zahid Mahmood

Look out for

Tabraiz Shamsi

Sitting atop the ICC’s T20I bowling rankings, Tabraiz Shamsi looms as the key man in South Africa’s attack against Pakistan. The left-arm wrist-spinner took six wickets at 10.16 in the last series these two teams played, leaking just 5.08 runs per over.

Mohammad Rizwan

The wicket-keeper-batsman has been close to irrepressible in T20I cricket since being pushed up to the top of the order late last year. He has averaged 65 with a strike rate of 140.69 since making the move with scores of 42, 51, 104* and 89 across his past four T20I innings.

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it.

Mohammad Hafeez will become the second Pakistan player and sixth overall to feature in 100 T20Is when he takes the field against South Africa in first of the four men’s Twenty20 Internationals at the Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg on Saturday.

Hafeez, 40, is one shy of reaching the three-figure mark and all set to join the exclusive club of Shoaib Malik (116), Rohit Sharma (111), Martin Guptill, Eoin Morgan and Ross Taylor (102) who have appeared in 100 or more T20Is since the inception of the shortest format of the game in February 2005.

Hafeez featured in Pakistan’s first-ever T20I in August 2006 in Bristol and scored 46 in Pakistan’s five wickets victory over England. Interestingly, Hafeez’s 50th appearance was also at the Wanderers Stadium against South Africa in November 2013 when he as captain took two for 25 and scored 13 not out as the hosts beat Pakistan by four runs in a rain-shortened match.

While Hafeez will be aiming to join Shoaib in the list of players to have played in 100 or more T20Is, he will also be looking to score, at least, 13 runs that will help him leapfrog Shoaib as Pakistan’s leading run-scorer in T20Is.

Shoaib has to date scored 2,335 runs in 116 T20Is, while Hafeez is sixth on the list with 2,323 runs in 99 matches.

Hafeez has represented Pakistan in five of the six ICC T20 World Cups since 2007, but missed the 2009 campaign in England, which Pakistan won under Younis Khan at Lord’s.

While Hafeez will be looking for double celebrations on Saturday, Pakistan will be targeting to carry the momentum of the ODI series and make a winning start in the four-match series.

On the ICC T20I rankings, Pakistan is sitting in fourth place on 260 points while South Africa is sixth on 251 points. England is on top of the tree with 272 points, followed by India (270) and Australia (267).

If Pakistan win all four matches, they will earn four points and move to 264 points to reduce the gap to three points with Australia. However, if the series result in reversed, then both the side will swap places with South Africa rising to fourth on 259 points and Pakistan dropping to sixth on 254 points.

In case of a 3-1 series win, Pakistan will rise to 262 points while South Africa will slip to 249 points – 19 points behind seventh-ranked Afghanistan. A 2-2 series result will mean Pakistan will stay fourth on 259 points and South Africa will maintain sixth position on 252 points.

In the ICC T20I Player Rankings, Pakistan captain Babar Azam is the highest-ranked player on either side. The champion batsman is ranked third behind Dawid Malan (England) and Aaron Finch (Australia) but has a chance to narrow the gap with Australia opener whom he trails by 29 points.

Rassie van der Dussen is the next high-ranked batsman in seventh position, followed by Hafeez (46th), Mohammad Rizwan (47th) and Fakhar Zaman (50th), while Heinrich Klaasen, who will captain South Africa in the absence of Temba Bavuma is ranked 91st.

In the bowling table, Tabraiz Shamsi will start-off as the number-one ranked bowler, followed by Shaheen Afridi (12th), Faheem Ashraf (19th) and Mohammad Nawaz (64th).

Babar Azam will be captaining Pakistan in his sixth series since taking over as T20I captain from Sarfaraz Ahmed in October 2019. His side lost 2-0 to Australia, beat Bangladesh 2-0, drew 1-1 with England, won 3-0 with Zimbabwe, and won 2-1 against South Africa.

On a head to head, South Africa lead Pakistan by 9-8, including 4-3 on their turf. Barring a 10-wicket victory in the first-ever T20I between the two sides at the Wanderers in February 2007, South Africa’s other three wins have been narrow ones – four runs at Wanderers in 2013, six runs at Newlands in 2019 and seven runs at Wanderers in 2019.

In contrast, Pakistan’s three wins in South Africa have been by 95 runs at Centurion in 2013, six runs at Newlands in 2013 and 27 runs at Centurion in 2019.

Squads:

Pakistan: Babar Azam (captain), Arshad Iqbal, Asif Ali, Danish Aziz, Faheem Ashraf, Fakhar Zaman, Haider Ali, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali, Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan, Mohammad Wasim Jnr, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Sharjeel Khan and Usman Qadir.

South Africa: Heinrich Klaasen (captain, wicketkeeper), Aiden Markram, Andile Phehlukwayo, Beuran Hendricks, Bjorn Fortuin, George Linde, Rassie van der Dussen, Janneman Malan, Sisanda Magala, Wiaan Mulder, Tabraiz Shamsi, Lutho Sipamla, Kyle Verreynne, Pite van Biljon, Daryn Dupavillon, Migael Pretorius, Lizaad Williams and Wihan Lubbe

Looking forward to this. Hoping to see Rizwan fire today - he had been excellent at home vs SA and was flying in the PSL until it was adjourned.

Hafeez will be the second pakistani to play 100 t20 matches for pakistan congratz fo him. I am hoping arshad iqbal gets a chance to make his debut

South Africa won the toss and batting

Capture.JPG

3aee248b-1803-49be-a27f-80e9b80da593.jpg9b1d9123-5e9a-4b1e-adda-75e99547655f.jpg

Last edited:
So looks like Babar and Rizwan will open.

SA batting first, a rarity in T20s now a days.

Poor Shaheen.

Can't even rest against Zimbabwe and a weakened SAF. Pak TM has only themselves to blame if he breaks down in his "official" late 20s.

So with this combination, ideally one off Babar or Rizwan can carry the innings at a good pace with Fakhar, Hafeez and Haider etc playing around.

Poor Shaheen.

Can't even rest against Zimbabwe and a weakened SAF. Pak TM has only themselves to blame if he breaks down in his "official" late 20s.
Fielding 20 over and bowling 4 overs how hard it is ? It is not like he is bowling 150 plus

Surely Fakhar will open. That’s where he did well in the ODIs.

Sisanda Magala is highly rated in South Africa especially for his death bowling. Let’s see what he can do.

We will end up opening with Sharjeel and Fakhar at the WC anyway, not sure why we are not accelerating the process right now.

Absolutely shocking team selection... why would you open with two accumulators in Babar and Rizwan when you gave Fakhar and Sharjeel in the squad to take advantage of the first 6 overs. If Pakistan want any chance of competing in the two T20 world cups coming up they should have this lineup.

Sharjeel
Fakhar
Babar
Hafeez
Haider
Rizwan
Faheem
Hasan / Hasnain
Shaheen
Rauf
Qadir / Nawaz or 1 of imad / Shadab at 7/8 instead of a pacer

Can’t believe misbahs defensive mindset. Yes Rizwan did well in 1 game as opener in NZ but that was when Fakhar and Sharjeel weren’t in the squad. If they’re in the squad they’ve definitely gotta be opening. It’s a no brainer 🙄

I don't see how this team is successful against a top team. 5 batsmen followed by 2 bowling all rounders isn't ideal.

The tail starts at 4 down

Not sure why people are complaining about Rizwan opening. He has done well as a T20 opener, he doesn’t deserve to be dropped. There is no space for him in the middle order, Sarfraz can’t bat at 5/6 in T20s. Rizwan deserves his place in T20s and is the best option right now.

Not really a fan of even number of matches in a series. Would have personally preferred a 3 or a 5 match T20 series as there is no point of having an option to draw a white ball series unless its due to weather

Not really a fan of even number of matches in a series. Would have personally preferred a 3 or a 5 match T20 series as there is no point of having an option to draw a white ball series unless its due to weather

Yep. Should have been a 5 match series if they didn’t wanna do 3. Never heard of a 4 match T20 series lol.

Fielding 20 over and bowling 4 overs how hard it is ? It is not like he is bowling 150 plus

It's not just about the overs bowled and hours spent on the ground. The mental drain of being involved in an international game is much much more than the physical exhaustion.

South Africa have a lot of bowling options, in the ODI series they were mostly stuck with 5.

Lol wonder if Markham will get another chance. :qdkhappy

I think they have to satisfy the reservation criteria.

Its pretty odd. Cuz van bijlon, wihan lubbe are white.
Going by their stats, their record isn't that great. Verreyene and other batsmen much more deserving

I think it's just very poor selection

Lol did they drop Verreyne?

A tough call considering how he played in last ODI but, Lubbe has a T20 100 and a pretty impressive strike rate. Yes one can argue that Verreyne showed a good temperament at international level so maybe deserved it more.

When are Pakistan going to unleash the Fakhar+Sharjeel combination?!?!?!?

I've not seen much of Haider Ali but there's a lot of clamour for his inclusion on PP so I look forward to checking him out today.

Absolutely shocking team selection... why would you open with two accumulators in Babar and Rizwan when you gave Fakhar and Sharjeel in the squad to take advantage of the first 6 overs. If Pakistan want any chance of competing in the two T20 world cups coming up they should have this lineup.

Sharjeel
Fakhar
Babar
Hafeez
Haider
Rizwan
Faheem
Hasan / Hasnain
Shaheen
Rauf
Qadir / Nawaz or 1 of imad / Shadab at 7/8 instead of a pacer

Can’t believe misbahs defensive mindset. Yes Rizwan did well in 1 game as opener in NZ but that was when Fakhar and Sharjeel weren’t in the squad. If they’re in the squad they’ve definitely gotta be opening. It’s a no brainer 🙄

Wdym one performance. Rizwan scored a century against SA, something both Sharjeel and Fakhar are yet to do.

Furthermore, Rizwan’s performance in this years PSL was superior compared to both

Also I would much rather have an accumulator at the top of the order than at the end.

A tough call considering how he played in last ODI but, Lubbe has a T20 100 and a pretty impressive strike rate. Yes one can argue that Verreyne showed a good temperament at international level so maybe deserved it more.

Markham should have been dropped in place of Verryanne. Lubbe can bat anywhere in the top 6 according to the SA cricket forums I have seen.

When are Pakistan going to unleash the Fakhar+Sharjeel combination?!?!?!?

With Babar and Rizwan both potentially opening its looking bleak. Maybe they will try different combinations as Babar said at the toss as well so you never know.

Markham should have been dropped in place of Verryanne. Lubbe can bat anywhere in the top 6 according to the SA cricket forums I have seen.

Yes could have been an option but SA really wants Markram to start developing his white ball game as he is rated really highly in SA and is considered one of the key players of future.

Wonder how SA are going to fit Bavuma,Rassie,Miller,De Kock,Faf,Malan,and Klassen all in their T20 squad.

I think this is Pakistan full strength playing eleven .you can add imad in place of nawaz

Yes could have been an option but SA really wants Markram to start developing his white ball game as he is rated really highly in SA and is considered one of the key players of future.

I think in ODIs they definitely want him to come good. But in T20s I don’t think they have a plan for him in this format. He is only playing because of the players missing and difficult to get replacements due to bio bubbles and quarantine periods.

Good move to bring spin on here. Also gives Nawaz a chance to show what he can do.

Average 1st innings score is 182 here in T20s, thats pretty high

Malan is so good man. South Africa need to get this demon in all 3 formats.

Translation - No excuse for Pak to lose :afridi

Its still South Africa national team vs Pakistan’s national team and result will say the same. Missing players still makes it to be an international match. :smith

Malan has been pretty good against pace.

Its still South Africa national team vs Pakistan’s national team and result will say the same. Missing players still makes it to be an international match. :smith

South Africa batting looks good, they have Shamsi who is the number 1 T20 bowler. Magala and Lizard Williams have done well in domestic cricket. They lack experience.

Apparently our only world class fast bowler taken to the cleaners

Janneman was smashing afridi around even in the last ODI. Picks length up so damn quickly.

T20 is about 6s and 4s. So i think Babar should try hafeez here. Pace will go for runs, Babar will eat this SA attack for Lunch.

Back